[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

He worked in their office for a while but then didn't want to pay the rent anymore? I think that's what I remember.

As I recall it, Kurtz said having workspace in the PA office had the opposite intended effect: he thought their creativity and work ethic would rub off on him, but instead he spent even more time shooting the shit and playing games, so he went back to having his own office.

Hadn't visited PA or The Trenches in years. Let's see what's going o.... WHAT IN THE FUCK OF SHIT? WTF happened to Gabe? There's more hair than man.

And can we just assume the Trenches is yet another in a long line of abandoned Kurtz projects?

And can we just assume the Trenches is yet another in a long line of abandoned Kurtz projects?
I know I'm the only reader of the thing, but I keep hoping at least someone will finish the storyline. I mean, it looks like they've just forgotten to update since January.

Hadn't visited PA or The Trenches in years. Let's see what's going o.... WHAT IN THE FUCK OF SHIT? WTF happened to Gabe? There's more hair than man.

Same here. Haven't visited PA in years...

*goes to look at comic...the hair can't be that bad, right?*

:eek:

I... had no idea it was possible for an artist's skills to get worse. :confused:

Skill-wise I'd say he's gotten demonstrably better, he just utilizes it in a way that mostly appeals to him. I can see why people don't like it, but after going back and checking his older artwork, I'd say his current work is much more interesting.

GasBandit

Staff member
Skill-wise I'd say he's gotten demonstrably better, he just utilizes it in a way that mostly appeals to him. I can see why people don't like it, but after going back and checking his older artwork, I'd say his current work is much more interesting.
"Interesting" in the way someone describes the taste of something when they don't want to hurt the cook's feelings :p

"Interesting" in the way someone describes the taste of something when they don't want to hurt the cook's feelings :p
Yes, but not only that. I find Guernica a very interesting, deep, touching piece of art, but I wouldn't necessarily call it pretty or nice to look at.

Anyway, his skill definitely hasn't decreased, as you can see in plenty of his other work....But I really don't care for the style he uses for PA these days.

Honestly I feel both Gabe and Tycho have gone legitimately insane. I mean, ignoring the art, have to seen the insanity that has been Tychos writing in the last few years?
"So starved for grist are the infinite screens of the Entertainment Beast that it must churn up the icons of a distant age, consume them, and disgorge them anew."
Video evidence obtained by secret cameras reveals that I mouth the words “form feet and legs, form arms and, depending on when the episode aired, either ‘body’ or ‘torso’” when shit starts to go down in this show. Nobody actually says it. Well, except me. And maybe you?
This is what he write talking about Voltron on Netflix. It sometimes bleeds into his comic dialogue too. Sometimes I have to read it three times to try and figure out what he is trying to mean.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly I feel both Gabe and Tycho have gone legitimately insane. I mean, ignoring the art, have to seen the insanity that has been Tychos writing in the last few years?

This is what he write talking about Voltron on Netflix. It sometimes bleeds into his comic dialogue too. Sometimes I have to read it three times to try and figure out what he is trying to mean.
I dunno, it made sense to me. He's always been heavy on the purple prose, and admittedly a lot of his emphatic narrative only makes sense to those who have experienced what he has experienced. But remember the deep crows? And what Tycho said to Gabe when Gabe started to talk about 40k "ripping off warcraft?"

I dunno, it made sense to me. He's always been heavy on the purple prose, and admittedly a lot of his emphatic narrative only makes sense to those who have experienced what he has experienced. But remember the deep crows? And what Tycho said to Gabe when Gabe started to talk about 40k "ripping off warcraft?"
I understand it's his "thing" but come on now. It's like he is the love child of HP Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe that took a job on a website after learning Bond villains didn't exist as a career.
Combined with the crazy squiggles that Gabe now draws, it just oozes insanity.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I understand it's his "thing" but come on now. It's like he is the love child of HP Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe that took a job on a website after learning Bond villains didn't exist as a career.
Combined with the crazy squiggles that Gabe now draws, it just oozes insanity.
That's a pretty good description of his writing, yeah. I guess it says something about me that it usually makes perfect sense to me :D

Yeah, I feel like Tycho has always been that way.
He always had a little bit of brevity in his prose, but I can't be the only one that has noticed an increase in the... unusualness. I mean look at that first sentence above and the first in some of his older posts.
I can’t tell you how many people ask me - on a daily basis - what exactly the “Fruit Fucker” featured in this strip does. The device is fairly straightforward, one might say, in its operation.
To be honest, this conversation actually took place in the car on the way back from SpokVegas. Other than that, everything else in the comic is factual, provided you don’t count the room or our representations in it.
Nintendo is making it real hard to be a Nintendo fan right now.
If that last one was written by Tycho today, it would probably say...

"You could say the Nin-ten-do has transformed, like a callous eldritch butterfly, into the Nin-ten-DON'T. Now we, the vessels that once fueled it's child-friendly yet nightmareish power, sit silent in disappointing contemplance."

GasBandit

Staff member
He always had a little bit of brevity in his prose, but I can't be the only one that has noticed an increase in the... unusualness. I mean look at that first sentence above and the first in some of his older posts.

If that last one was written by Tycho today, it would probably say...

"You could say the Nin-ten-do has transformed, like a callous eldritch butterfly, into the Nin-ten-DON'T. Now we, the vessels that once fueled it's child-friendly yet nightmareish power, sit silent in disappointing contemplance."
Hah, good stuff.

Gabe and Tycho are good examples of what happens when you can successfully wall yourself off from the rest of the world and live your live in a bubble. They're no longer in touch with their audience.

Gabe and Tycho are good examples of what happens when you can successfully wall yourself off from the rest of the world and live your live in a bubble. They're no longer in touch with their audience.
I don't know about that...

To me it seems more like their success has allowed them to indulge way too much in their eccentricities like they couldn't before.

Tycho/Jerry has always loved flowery language. And your can say is getting worse, but I mean, Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness was a thing. If anything, I'd say their own personal lives are kind of coming down to earth since they have families and kids, so they are trying too hard on their PA personas. If you watch things like their D&D games, they come across as pretty normal geeks.

Kinda surprised you guys are still reading. I forgot this thread even existed until I saw it as the most recently replied-to thread for Media.
I never bothered to stop Watching the thread since I've posted in it here and there, so whenever someone dredges it up from the bottom of the first page I'm reminded PvP is still a thing.

Granted, I still haven't checked the actual site in a year or so, but I'm still reminded it's out there, limping along in the shadow of the strips it once walked alongside.

Eh, it's more or less "newspaper comic" level and been there for quite a while. I wouldn't say PA does all that much better these days, for example. Or CAD.
PA doesn't really need to at this point, with the conventions and other things the guys have a hand in now. They managed to build a pretty nice thing out of a comic strip. CAD's probably fallen about where PvP is, partially due to the creator being kind of a giant baby like Kurtz tended to be (how either of them act now I couldn't say).