not so serious but I want to rant II: Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
The correct response is, "I'm sorry ma'am. In today's culture we have started to assume certain things. If you merely provide proof of your daughter's purity then we will happily replace the gift wrapping with the appropriate white packaging."

:popcorn:
Now THAT is both wicked and awesome.

Vancouver gleefully averages the mildest God damn weather year round. 5-10 in the winter and 10-20 in the summer (with the odd heatwave like anywhere). I live in Alberta! Where it's 30 below in the winter and 30 above in the summer. Mild temperatures are for pussies (I want to be transferred to Surrey, BC).

Fuck their temperate heaven. You gotta like rain though.

fade

Staff member
Someone please develop a tutorial on articles (a, an, the, not the journal kind) for native Asian language speakers.
Added at: 04:44
Being a native English speaker and getting a foreign language slightly wrong? Apparently offensive.
Being a native English speaker and being offended when someone who is not a native speaker gets English slightly wrong? Apparently offensive.

figmentPez

Staff member
I had a really bad day yesterday.

I was hoping today would be better, but something has already happened that's got me pissed off.

*sigh* I hope things start to change direction soon.

Vancouver gleefully averages the mildest God damn weather year round. 5-10 in the winter and 10-20 in the summer (with the odd heatwave like anywhere). I live in Alberta! Where it's 30 below in the winter and 30 above in the summer. Mild temperatures are for pussies (I want to be transferred to Surrey, BC).

Fuck their temperate heaven. You gotta like rain though.
Who in the right fucking mind WANTS to go to Surrey? North Van, yes. West Van, yes. Even fucking Chilliwack.. But not Surrey!

Surrey is where they send us RCMPs. It takes a trip to Surrey before we can go elsewhere in BC if aren't originally assigned E Division.

M

makare

My job is a weekend job mostly so I'm used to it. For a while there I was getting a weekend off and I loved it. Now I work 10 hour days Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I am so tired and I'm supposed to go out to a friend's birthday. I couldn't sleep last night and I feel like dying. He'd better appreciate my presence (and my presents).

Got in a car accident on my way home. No major damage done to my car, and no injuries to me (or anyone else), guy in front of me had a piece of shit aftermarket front and back bumper/undercarriage thing which was trashed on front and back (he got pushed into the car in front of him). It never ceases to amaze me how little speed is required to push cars around on rain-slicked freeways. But there goes my perfect fucking insurance record. Bastards.

figmentPez

Staff member
Two of our cats got bit by a snake today. One has a swollen leg, and the other has a puffy face. They'll be okay, but very uncomfortable for a day or three.

Cajungal

Staff member
I hope they get better quickly.

How can people have such an ego about things they enjoy when they've had no hand in making them? I understand that people feel richer for the culture that they absorb, but there are so many things in this life to grow from. How can you look at me with that smug face simply because I haven't enjoyed and appreciated every band/book/movie that you have? It feels like people are taking credit for a thing that they had absolutely no hand in. Why can't people enjoy what they enjoy without all the ego?

I hope they get better quickly.

How can people have such an ego about things they enjoy when they've had no hand in making them? I understand that people feel richer for the culture that they absorb, but there are so many things in this life to grow from. How can you look at me with that smug face simply because I haven't enjoyed and appreciated every band/book/movie that you have? It feels like people are taking credit for a thing that they had absolutely no hand in. Why can't people enjoy what they enjoy without all the ego?
This. The other thing I hate though, which is slightly related, is that these people can create a stigma for people who genuinely enjoy something and want to spread it around. I think it's the pretentious and haughty attitude of some that make it hard for me to recommend something enthusiastically. The second I get passionate about Jules Verne or Charles Dickens or Dostoevsky or GK Chesterton, people think I'm belittling them for being less cultured than I am or something. But not at all! The books have brought me great joy and I legitimately think others would gain the same satisfaction.

Speaking of books, I ordered several books online and they sat at Purolator's depot for five days before being sent back. Erg! I was told they were going to be picked up, and I warned that they'd be sent back... Oh well :/

Cajungal

Staff member
That is a very good point. I find your enthusiasm genuine. :) It's usually pretty easy to tell; but you're right about people getting very defensive when someone simply encourages them to try something. People should want to share things that they love... because they love them, not because they want to make others feel inferior. I hope I've never taken a simple suggestion as a rude judgment.

I have an... acquaintance, we'll say, about whom I could write pages of minor rants, but particularly due to this issue. She loves to read and can read ridiculously quickly: I have seen her finish a couple novels in a day in her spare time. I'd say this was skimming, but she's an English major who's written excellent essays on these books, so I don't know. Anyway, because she loves to read and she is an English major, one of my friends and I thought she'd love Dostoevsky, and we bought her two of his novels translated by my favourite translators for her birthday. This was years ago, she has yet to read them, because, she told us, "It's just so pretentious and arrogant to read that stuff." I mean, I'd be surprised if she didn't like it, but I wouldn't really care that she has different tastes. But she refuses to even try to read them, and in the process tells us we're arrogant jerks for reading? Good lord. I kind of want to go to her house and re-possess Crime & Punishment. I've read it but I don't actually own my own copy, and hey, hers is in perfect condition.

Cajungal

Staff member
"That stuff?" Does she think Dostoevsky is pretentious, or is it something about reading things that are pretty well known as classics? Does she prefer things that are a little less "reading list-y" as a similar friend would say? I'm honestly asking. I guess if she's not interested she's not interested. I've known a lot of English majors. Some devour every book they can, and some are very particular about what they try.

I can hardly gauge her tastes. She reads Norse mythology and Shakespeare, but also devours Twilight, Harry Potter, almost anything by Neil Gaiman --and I mean nothing against of these works, by any means, just that I really think she'd enjoy and gain something from reading some classical literature, especially as an English major. I mean, if she'd read it and dismissed it, that's one thing. It's that she won't try and still dismisses it (and me!) that gets under my skin when I'm around her.

Status
Not open for further replies.