Minor victory thread

I went to school a little early last night because I had to pick something up from my practicum advisor. Her office is directly across the hall from my research professor and they had their doors open. My advisor says that they had been discussing my lit review. Really? She said they were arguing over who would be my co-author when I publish.

PUBLISH?! This is just a capstone project! Nope, they are hoping I'll pursue my research topic further and publish after graduation. OMG. The only reason this is in minor victory is that I haven't made the decision to pursue getting it published since who knows what time I'll have to dedicate to it once I've graduated. I'm still pretty excited that they like my topic and writing that much.

Very minor in comparison, but I made it out for the first time all week since Monday. When I woke up this morning I didn't want to puke when I lifted my head so I decided to get presentable and see if my doctors office could fit me in for the treatment I had to cancel Wednesday.

They could, so here I am. Wild hair and all. Presentable was all I could manage. Cute/Fancy/etc wasn't possible.

I'm unexpectedly happy with my replacement driver's license. I wore a hat to the DMV (because I had presumed they would simply reissue a license with my old picture) so my hair is a mess, but otherwise I look good. My old license photo was turrible.

Got a new fridge for the house. Was delivered today. Was able to fit everything that was in the old fridge, plus a Costco run. I've never seen my wife this excited about an appliance. The c/net review ends with "So, if you want a new fridge/mini guest house..." :D

Needless to say, I did not pay list price.

Well, I'm not bowling in there :)
No, it's that tempered glass will eventually spectacularly shatter just because you managed to scratch it deep enough, at which point the entire shelf comes crashing down at once. Gimme wire shelves any day, at least they don't break.

--Patrick

I gotta ask, @PatrThom , what you put in your fridge that scratches the shelves?

I don’t remember the last time we had anything but glass shelves and we’ve never experienced such problems.

Is this kinda like the microwave glass platter - unusual circumstances arising from another’s actions?

No, it's that tempered glass will eventually spectacularly shatter just because you managed to scratch it deep enough, at which point the entire shelf comes crashing down at once. Gimme wire shelves any day, at least they don't break.

--Patrick
Or if you tap the edge of the glass. Best way ever to shatter tempered glass. You can throw sheets of it horizontally/diagonally onto the edge of a metal dumpster and it's less likely to break than if you smack the edge.

--Patrick
Possibly. My last two fridges had tempered glass shelves. No issues so far. Knock on wood.

fade

Staff member
I've had tempered glass fridge shelves for like 20 years with two rough kids who bring guests in the fridge all the time. No issue whatsoever. It's true the pretension on tempered glass means if they shatter they really shatter. But the tempering itself makes that far less likely to begin with.

So we're going to visit family 5hrs away for Thanksgiving.
So we'll need a hotel.
So I found one nearby so we can spend the night before driving back home again.
So it's owned by the same group (IHG) that owned the hotel I stayed in back in 2015 for 4 and a half months while on biz reassignment.
So turns out I have a lot of points with them because of that.
So ... it ended up being free. :D

--Patrick

So we're going to visit family 5hrs away for Thanksgiving.
So we'll need a hotel.
So I found one nearby so we can spend the night before driving back home again.
So it's owned by the same group (IHG) that owned the hotel I stayed in back in 2015 for 4 and a half months while on biz reassignment.
So turns out I have a lot of points with them because of that.
So ... it ended up being free. :D

--Patrick
Dilly Dilly!

We've been without a living room TV for the past two months, waiting for a good deal (it's cut down on our show-watching and made some social events annoying to plan, but obviously not a priority). One of our D&D buddies is moving to New York, and severely down-sizing his possessions (i.e. held a "haul my nice stuff away at friend prices" yard sale), so we got his spare TV for $25. It's a 42", just like our dead one, so it's a wash. Pretty happy about it.

fade

Staff member
I used the Thanksgiving break to put my outside lights up. My wife called me Clark Griswold. Which is like the greatest compliment ever. I won't stop until NASA contacts me to keep it down, because the astronauts on the ISS can't sleep with all that light.

Not turning them on until the 1st, though.

I used the Thanksgiving break to put my outside lights up. My wife called me Clark Griswold. Which is like the greatest compliment ever. I won't stop until NASA contacts me to keep it down, because the astronauts on the ISS can't sleep with all that light.

I've been calling Mr. Z "Sparky" for years because somehow I unleashed his inner Clark Griswald. We have become "that house", but our neighbors seem to like it.

Dave

Staff member
Got a new fridge for the house. Was delivered today. Was able to fit everything that was in the old fridge, plus a Costco run. I've never seen my wife this excited about an appliance. The c/net review ends with "So, if you want a new fridge/mini guest house..." :D

Needless to say, I did not pay list price.
I have pretty much the same fridge. Got it last year with my bonus check. We like it.

While I'm sure they're really pretty lights, even if you drew a really nice pair of tits on your roof with them, I doubt that's what turns the astronauts on the ISS on.

fade

Staff member
I've been calling Mr. Z "Sparky" for years because somehow I unleashed his inner Clark Griswald. We have become "that house", but our neighbors seem to like it.
You made me google it. It is "Griswold". Nananana boo-boo I'm right. :p

You made me google it. It is "Griswold". Nananana boo-boo I'm right. :p
I blame the NHL shop in the 90's.

My mom got my dad the "official" Blackhawks jersey that Clark wears in Christmas Vacation, due to his love of the movie and his strong physical resemblance to Chevy Chase. Since this was pre-internet ordering, she wrote down "Griswold", but they sent it back to us "Griswald". When I'm in a rush to type, I can never remember which was right and which was the typo.

I'm still super sick and feel like I've been run over, but I expended the effort to dye my hair pink to match my roots. It looked cute when my hairdresser did it. Six weeks later, it's looking harsh, so all over temporary pink will cover it up until I can see her again.

One try and I matched it perfectly!

Go me.

Our son will be so sad. I used their bright red on him and it didn't hold in his dark hair. Poor guy only has an orange wrist to show for all of his patience.

I found an awesome used camera for our daughter for a steal. We met dude and it works beautifully. Both lenses are in gorgeous shape. The camera body has one small cosmetic ding on the body, but for the silly low price that he wanted for it and the fact that it only has 1,600 actuations (out of a useful life of 100,000), we can handle a small cosmetic ding.

I just checked the shutter count myself because I was worried because the deal seemed a bit too good to be true.

1,543! A bit less than he quoted and 15-20 of those were me testing it out.

I think I may have partially dislocated my elbow a few months back, and it relocated last night. It started as a little joint pain and a burning sensation along the anterior portion of my right arm just above the elbow joint. The pain had been getting worse and worse, to the point that I actually started using the arm less, and it honestly started to feel like it was locking up or freezing in the bent position (it was physically difficult to straighten the arm). Then on Friday it started to feel like I really needed to pop it. Like if someone (gently) pulled on my forearm while twisting it would either a) pop back into place or b) fall off. Last night I was getting up off the toilet and heard/felt a resounding POP! from my elbow and felt the tendons/ligaments/muscles realign and now, aside from some leftover tenderness, it's almost pain free.

I think I may have partially dislocated my elbow a few months back, and it relocated last night. It started as a little joint pain and a burning sensation along the anterior portion of my right arm just above the elbow joint. The pain had been getting worse and worse, to the point that I actually started using the arm less, and it honestly started to feel like it was locking up or freezing in the bent position (it was physically difficult to straighten the arm). Then on Friday it started to feel like I really needed to pop it. Like if someone (gently) pulled on my forearm while twisting it would either a) pop back into place or b) fall off. Last night I was getting up off the toilet and heard/felt a resounding POP! from my elbow and felt the tendons/ligaments/muscles realign and now, aside from some leftover tenderness, it's almost pain free.
That, or your system finally destroyed the boneworm that was devouring your arm from the inside out.