Minor victory thread

Oh really? ... well then.
Listen, I know $400 ain't cheap, but it used to be that $600 was more the norm for a good 1TB SATA SSD. Also I know Tin could probably have afforded it even at $600, but after their spike, they seem to be coming back down into the reach of us plebes.

Incidentally the goto "solid performers" right now are the 1TB WD Blue and the SanDisk Ultra 3D, which are pretty much the exact same drive wearing different clothing (WD and SanDisk are the same company now). Both can be had for < $300 and come with a three-year warranty.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Listen, I know $400 ain't cheap, but it used to be that $600 was more the norm for a good 1TB SATA SSD. Also I know Tin could probably have afforded it even at $600, but after their spike, they seem to be coming back down into the reach of us plebes.

Incidentally the goto "solid performers" right now are the 1TB WD Blue and the SanDisk Ultra 3D, which are pretty much the exact same drive wearing different clothing (WD and SanDisk are the same company now). Both can be had for < $300 and come with a three-year warranty.

--Patrick
That wasn't a "that's too much money" expression, it was a "I'm about to buy something I don't actually need" expression.

That wasn't a "that's too much money" expression, it was a "I'm about to buy something I don't actually need" expression.
Well, if you're going to be like that...you might as well buy two and set 'em up in a RAID (I would recommend RAID-1 rather than RAID-0, but of course it's up to you).

--Patrick

SATA or PCIe? Also, how much difference do they make?
...also, what took so long? Quality 1TB SATA SSDs can be had now for < $400.

--Patrick
SATA. And it makes a big difference. My windows has a number of startup utilities (malwarebytes, virtual clone drive, etc). And my Firefox has Adblock Plus with a lot of custom rules, 1Password, and a few other plugins that have to load databases into memory. So it could take 1-2 minutes to boot and get to the web. With the SSD, it's about 12-13 seconds to do the same.

I got 500gb SSDs for $150 each. I've been watching the prices periodically, and I have to weigh whether or not my inconvenience was worth more than the price. I'd never pay $400-600 just to shave a couple minutes off of boot time. But $150 is well within my threshold of non-essential spending.

Last edited:
I've been using a SATA one myself for a few years now, and sometimes I wonder how PCIe could be even faster.
Oh, it is. The new computers we built for Kati and Cranky both use PCIe SSDs instead of SATA.
Here, let me throw some numbers at you:

As a reference, a standard HDD's fastest read/write is about 150MB/s and 200-ish IO/s (input/output or transactions per second)
SATA SSDs are all limited by the SATA-III bus speed (and the AHCI protocol), and so will max out at ~525-550MB/s and 90k IO/s. As you can see, the biggest benefit of getting an SSD is not as much the transfer speed increase (3-4x) as it is the SSD's ability to go from here to there and then to there with almost no delay whatsoever compared to the HDD (450x increase!).

Kati's (Gen1 AHCI) 240GB HyperX Predator has a read/write speed of 1300/600 MB/s* and averages about 100k IO/s. The increase in IO/s is not very large (if you can call a 10k/s increase "not very large"), but because the drive communicates directly over the PCIe bus rather than SATA, it has up to 2000MB/s bandwidth to play with (PCIe v2.0 has 500MB bandwidth per lane, and the drive is wired for 4 lanes), which leaves SATA's 600MB theoretical maximum faaaaar behind.

Cranky's computer takes this even further with his NVMe Intel 750 400GB card. First of all, it is fully PCIe v3.0 capable, which means it has 4000MB/s bandwidth to play with (PCIe v3.0 has 1GB/s bandwidth per lane, 2x that of v2.0, and the drive is wired for 4 lanes). It has a read/write speed of 2200/900 MB/s** which is about 50% faster than Kati's drive BUT again it's the IO/s where the real speedup occurs. The Intel 750 averages WELL OVER 300K IO/s (thanks to the newer NVMe protocol), which is absolutely ludicrous for a desktop computer.

tl;dr: My computer, which has a pair of 1TB WD RE3's (basically the enterprise version of WD Black) in a RAID-1 for redundancy and faster reads, boots from a cold start up to the desktop in about 30-35 seconds (though admittedly that includes waiting through all the BIOS screens).
Kati's computer is at the desktop in less than 10 seconds. Cranky's is up in under 6.
The place you can really see this difference is in Minecraft, because Minecraft has to load chunks from disk in order to display them on your screen. On Cranky's computer, distant terrain is just...there. Even at a view distance of 32 chunks, they just fill right in in under a second.

--Patrick
*It is hamstrung by being only the 240GB version, the 480GB version can do 1300/1000 MB/s BUT at the time it was much more expensive.
**Again, hamstrung by being the smallest capacity, the 1.2TB version can do 2400/1200 MB/s BUT was almost twice the price.

I know! But I still can't! It's... inconceivable!
No, THIS is "inconceivable."

(tl;dr: He is getting 10-12GB/sec read/write speeds)
Dude decided to RAID together 24 of the U.2 version of the above-mentioned Intel 750 drives.
I'm still not convinced that he's getting accurate numbers. At that scale, I'm not convinced Windows itself can even keep up.

Also keep in mind that those drives are probably US$750 each, and that's assuming he gets some sort of quantity discount.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
No, THIS is "inconceivable."

(tl;dr: He is getting 10-12GB/sec read/write speeds)
Dude decided to RAID together 24 of the U.2 version of the above-mentioned Intel 750 drives.
I'm still not convinced that he's getting accurate numbers. At that scale, I'm not convinced Windows itself can even keep up.

Also keep in mind that those drives are probably US$750 each, and that's assuming he gets some sort of quantity discount.

--Patrick
That dude just basically made himself a perma-ramdisk.... that is faster than his ram.

That dude just basically made himself a non-volatile RAMdisk.... that is faster than his ram.
Well, I mean, it can't be faster than his RAM, since anything going to/from his array has to pass through his RAM first.
...though the idea that we may start seeing RAM speed as a bottleneck to some of this is intriguing (for people who can afford it, that is).

--Patrick

Latency is the killer difference in that instance, and transferring a billion small pieces of information will show the RAM to lead vs the PCIe raid SSDs even if the transfer rates become equivilant.

Even so, they're not.

Properly configured DDR4 ram in a dual bank is capable of nearly 50GBytes/second, and we're starting to see support for quad channel which is already over 60GByte/second without a huge leap in cost. http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2015/september/ddr3_vs_ddr4_generational

But even if the SSDs caught up, due to drive commands and other overhead you'd still find RAM has a reason, just as fast RAM will never replace on chip caches, and why they keep adding newer levels of caching.

So on a whim I reopened an OLD Navy Federal CU account. And on another whim I was like "Hey, I wonder if they would approve me for a personal loan of 7k so I can pay off all my cc bills and have a cheaper monthly payment even though my credit is shit" and about 30 seconds after I applied for a loan I had 7k in my bank account... so... NO MORE CREDIT CARD BILLS WOO! Now from 7 CC bills of varying payments to one 7k loan of 173 a month. Also for some ungodly reason they approved my CC application with a 4800 limit.. WTF were they thinking? But no more capital one card, I'm canceling it, No more Walmart CC, canceled. (Those are the main ones I don't like) Keeping Target red card and amazon prime card my wife wants me to keep for some reason. but the others? So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Wife's heavy kit (for SCA combat archery) is coming together nicely. A former archer in our shire gifted her a very sturdy set of hardened leather arms, hands, legs, and pauldrons. I had a spare gorget, and today we found a hotoke do-type front cuirass and a close-enough-in-size metal back in the shire's communal used armor stock. I spent a good while punching out the armor's old copper rivets (holding leather remnants) on the anvil, and put new rivets/straps in place joining the two parts.

Next we'll make/affix a belt of some sort to join the two chest pieces, test the gorget/cuirass/legs fit, rig the pauldrons on the cuirass' straps, and find her a helmet. Crossbow and ammo will have to wait until at least January, but we're aiming to field her at Fools War in April, so I'd say we're way on track.

IMG_1271.JPG
We just saw the new Pokemon movie. Cute overload.

Pikachu spoke!!! Omg!!!!
[DOUBLEPOST=1509910689,1509910631][/DOUBLEPOST]And we got these cute cards and QR codes for super cute special movie Ash Hat Pikachus for Ultra Sun and Moon.

Are y'all in contact with my squire-sister, Lady Satara? She can definitely point you at some good CA stuff.
I don't think we've met, though her kit looks familiar. She's been mostly talking with Brun (who initially got her interested in x-bows) and Myf (who gifted her the leather kit parts). Maybe they can have a good talk at Castle this year? That and Fall Crown are our last two events for the year.

My fame as a translator and editor has spread so far and wide, I've got tertiary education institutions on the other side of Taiwan asking me to teach courses for them.

(Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration. A professor at a university in the south of Taiwan asked my superior, the chief editor at our company, to run a workshop for them. She's too busy to do it, so she suggested I take her place, and the professor was all like, "Sure, I trust your recommendation!")

True story, I emailed the guy setting up the workshop to ask who the students will be (ie will they be professional translators, what kind of experience do they have, etc), because that'll affect the design of the workshop's contents. He replied with, "There will be approximately ten participants, all of whom have translation experience and are currently working in the translation field."

Oh ok, I thought, I'll gear the course contents towards professionals, ie more advanced stuff. I can do that, no problem.

He then followed it up with another email. "Oh but since the workshop would also be relevant to some of the stuff I'm teaching, would it be all right if some of my undergrad students attend too?"

Yes, that would be all right, sir. Quite all right indeed.

fade

Staff member
I considered employment there, but they require surgery to pixelate your crotch. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me!

So you're looking for a female surgeon?
I contemplated making some sort of joke about a female surgeon and the "I am no man!" thing from LOTR, but I don't have the Paint skills to make it look like I wanted it to, nor the mental agility to make it work in words today.