Minor victory thread

Watch yourself, I hear New Zealand's immigration process has a lot of bait and switch going on in it, like, "warmly invite you there then make sure you can't afford to live there and screw you out of everything" type stuff. I wish I remembered where the article was.
I've heard that, and I've also heard that the university would save me from most of that hassle. At any rate, I still find it preferable to life in the US. It has a sportsmen's culture without the paranoia. It has free speech but no hate speech. And New Zealand society has realized that life is much better when Neo-Nazi groups aren't allowed to exist.

So the job interview went quite well. They'll let me know in a couple days if I'm to proceed to the next step.

Bought a Steam Link when it was on sale. Being able to play games on my TV in my living room is nice enough I suppose, but my TV doesn't have a net connection & won't play videos from a usb stick I insert into it - it will only play music & display pictures. Now I can use the Link, minimize Steam & stream Netflix & movies / TV shows I have "legally acquired" direct to my TV through my PC. This will, I think, get more use than actually gaming through the Link.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bought a Steam Link when it was on sale. Being able to play games on my TV in my living room is nice enough I suppose, but my TV doesn't have a net connection & won't play videos from a usb stick I insert into it - it will only play music & display pictures. Now I can use the Link, minimize Steam & stream Netflix & movies / TV shows I have "legally acquired" direct to my TV through my PC. This will, I think, get more use than actually gaming through the Link.
Oh shit, the steamlink works for things BESIDES steam?

I might have to get it too![DOUBLEPOST=1513180941,1513180890][/DOUBLEPOST]Aw nuts, it's not on sale for $5 anymore. Doh.

My kids posed for portraits for me to give to each set of their grandparents and they didn't have demented looks on their faces. The weather has been grim here, so I was able to set up a little indoor studio here and it actually turned out ok in the pictures. I even was able to edit out the scratches all over my daughter's face from when a boy in her class kept whacking her in the face with their giant candy canes during a Christmas Concert practice. They're all uploaded and will be printed in a few days.

I just need to finish drawing those &^%$#@! ninja turtles and then I'm all caught up.

Oh shit, the steamlink works for things BESIDES steam?

I might have to get it too![DOUBLEPOST=1513180941,1513180890][/DOUBLEPOST]Aw nuts, it's not on sale for $5 anymore. Doh.
The steam link does two things. It acts as a hub for your controllers, and it mirrors your PC's primary display. What you do with that mirroring is completely up to you.

And here I am connecting an HDMI cable from my PC to my TV so that I can watch DVDs or legally-acquired movies and TV shows, like a caveman.

In person interview went really well but this is how I always feel after them.

Will find out next week.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
I spent all day yesterday playing a video game. I cannot tell you how long it's been since I did that. Sure, I feel guilty and gross today, but it was fun to do for a day. Now I feel like I need to run about 20 miles.

Didn't get my steam link in time to set it up for the family while they were here, but I just set it up and played You Don't Know Jack with my wife on the big tv in the basement. Worked great, and we had loads of fun. Can't wait to test out other games down there

Didn't get my steam link in time to set it up for the family while they were here, but I just set it up and played You Don't Know Jack with my wife on the big tv in the basement. Worked great, and we had loads of fun. Can't wait to test out other games down there
Oh come on now, you're making it too easy.

--Patrick

First record store run in months. Found myself a two-eye copy of Chicago Transit Authority. Woot!

(Columbia changed the label style in 1970, so a two-eye copy of this is an original issue.)

I trained someone today to take over my volunteer job in January. She's usually terrified of cats, but she loved Pud. I think he, more than my training, got her to say yes.

I'll take it!

Got my Steam Link the other day, got around to setting it up tonight. It's a slick bit of kit, I have to admit. Thanks @Ravenpoe, I probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't know about the screen mirroring. Although now that I can play on the big screen...