Rant VIII: The Reckoning

fade

Staff member
I bought a new TV this summer (first in almost 14 years). I bought the best rated non-OLED tv of last year when Samsung cycled in the new model for about half the price. I just played the waiting game.

The new tv we bought this year was well under $400 ... Canadian.

I wastched the sales at Best Buy and then I went in and negotiated even further and got our 49" Toshiba for $299. I was able to get them to install it for a decent price and I got the wall bracket thrown in for free.

You don't want to know what we paid for the 51" rear projection beast it was replacing that we had bought 15 years earlier.

My brother is a severe alcoholic. I hear a loud crash in my upstairs and come roaring up to find my brother had come into my house at 1 am, knocked over the table at the door to find him there stumbling about. He's the worst to talk to drunk so we get into into a shouting match about him using my house as a crash pad for his middle of the week benders.

Fuck sakes. I can hear the blood pressure in my ears right now I'm so worked up.

I thought venting on Facebook would make me feel better, but nope, still fuming.

We're at breakfast this morning at our favorite diner (meaning Mr. Z, Li'l Z and myself), and there was a large table of baby boomers seated next to us. They were chatting loudly the whole time, so it wasn't hard to miss a lot of what they were saying. We've finished our meal and we're getting ready to go when I hear the woman behind me go, "Oh, that reminds me; did you guys hear the funny joke how Chinese people name their kids? They throw a pan..."etc. (I'm not repeating the whole thing, you guys know it). Anyway, Mr. Z and I turn in our seats to stare at them, and to their credit, most of the table had the good sense not only not to laugh, but to look embarrassed. Someone must have elbowed the woman, because she doesn't even turn, but she's says loudly, "I don't care! I'm from the South!..." (Side note: lady, are you saying being a Southerner makes you a moron?). So she's making it clear it was a shot at Li'l Z.

Guys, I swear to you, I am normally a calm person who picks her battles. It's not like Mr. Z and I haven't heard shit like this before. But she said it about MY SON right in front of him. This is a line you DO NOT CROSS. As Mr. Z put it to my friend, "You know it's serious when [Celt Z] told me to go pay the check. 'GO.PAY.THE.CHECK.' ", and took Li'l Z with him. I think I'm still mad right now because there is so much more I wanted to say in that moment, but I also didn't want to have Li'l Z asking any more questions than he did. But once they were away from ear-shot, I had a few words of my own I said to this woman's face, "tasteless bitch", being among them.

I'm sure I will calm down later, but right now, SO. ANGRY.

I thought venting on Facebook would make me feel better, but nope, still fuming.

We're at breakfast this morning at our favorite diner (meaning Mr. Z, Li'l Z and myself), and there was a large table of baby boomers seated next to us. They were chatting loudly the whole time, so it wasn't hard to miss a lot of what they were saying. We've finished our meal and we're getting ready to go when I hear the woman behind me go, "Oh, that reminds me; did you guys hear the funny joke how Chinese people name their kids? They throw a pan..."etc. (I'm not repeating the whole thing, you guys know it). Anyway, Mr. Z and I turn in our seats to stare at them, and to their credit, most of the table had the good sense not only not to laugh, but to look embarrassed. Someone must have elbowed the woman, because she doesn't even turn, but she's says loudly, "I don't care! I'm from the South!..." (Side note: lady, are you saying being a Southerner makes you a moron?). So she's making it clear it was a shot at Li'l Z.

Guys, I swear to you, I am normally a calm person who picks her battles. It's not like Mr. Z and I haven't heard shit like this before. But she said it about MY SON right in front of him. This is a line you DO NOT CROSS. As Mr. Z put it to my friend, "You know it's serious when [Celt Z] told me to go pay the check. 'GO.PAY.THE.CHECK.' ", and took Li'l Z with him. I think I'm still mad right now because there is so much more I wanted to say in that moment, but I also didn't want to have Li'l Z asking any more questions than he did. But once they were away from ear-shot, I had a few words of my own I said to this woman's face, "tasteless bitch", being among them.

I'm glad that you told her off. What a bitch she was!

And you have every right to be! I hope her face was beet red when you walked away and people with her were all shamed at how vile their friend/family member is.

Last year, (in a social work class mind you) a classmate started talking shit about Mexicans. It was all I could do to keep myself planted in my seat and not grab him by his scrawny neck. I told him off, though. That's my family! My kids, my husband, my mother-in-law... his eyes about bugged out of his head as I dressed him down. I guess I was scary enough that the guy I was sitting next to, who I've known since the start of grad school, pushed a Hershey's kiss my way and quietly said a few things to me that help bring me down from a 15 on a 10 scale of anger.

You should have said "Hey, did you hear the one about the racist woman that got slapped?"

you have every right, what a legit cunt(and im sorry to the ladies on here for saying this) but fuck her with a rake, I'd have told her to shove it as a bystander myself. pick a fight with an adult you vile piece if human filth,not a child who cant even defend themselves.

Last edited:

Bro-fist for putting that bitch in her spot. How did she react when you gave her an ear-full?

Bro-fist for putting that bitch in her spot. How did she react when you gave her an ear-full?
Not as satisfying as I'd have liked. She tried to play it off by being quiet and...haughty, I guess. But no one there was sticking up for her, either. I kept it short, because I like that diner and the people who run it know us.

Not as satisfying as I'd have liked. She tried to play it off by being quiet and...haughty, I guess. But no one there was sticking up for her, either. I kept it short, because I like that diner and the people who run it know us.
I'd like to hope you got through to her in some way and she's now ruminating on her thoughts and actions.

I'd like to hope you got through to her in some way and she's now ruminating on her thoughts and actions.
That would be ideal, but unfortunately, knowing people, that woman is probably even firmer in her beliefs now.

And no, I won't call her a bitch or a cunt. That'd be an insult to dogs and female genitalia, respectively.

That would be ideal, but unfortunately, knowing people, that woman is probably even firmer in her beliefs now.
You know, this was kinda why I made a point to tell her she couldn't blame it on being from the South. I heard her say that, like it excused what she said, and there was a part of my brain that went, "Oh, FUCK NO." I am sick to death of people excusing their shitty choices on being Southern/Christian/White/POC, etc. You become an adult and you can't accept the responsibility of your actions, or understand that other people deserve to be treated like human beings, you forfeit the right to be considered an adult. I wanted to make it clear that she CHOSE to say something racist and she is the only one to blame for her being a moron.
I'll never know if she actually realized what a shitty thing she did, or she just played it off as "another rude Yankee" and she was justified, but I wasn't going to let her hide behind ANYTHING.

That vapid waste of oxygen, that foul, demented, hanger-dodging, scum-licked taint-scrape.

So devoid of courage or honor that she feels the need to insult a child, then hide behind the Mason-Dixon line, like it's some sort of shield against idiocy.

Nithling, filth, beyond the reach of satisfaction by dint of being older. Age may demand respect, but actions snatch it away. In Týr's name, I'm proud of you for bringing justice to her and humiliating her in front of her peers.

Someone attempted to break into Aussie's car while he was at work tonight. He's currently waiting for the base police so he can file a report. Oh yay.

So last night sucked huh?

It was an EPS thing, so not much I could have done but sleep. Nobody was killed, thank God. I'll find out more when I go to work.

Jesus, Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Younger cousin has Stage 3 hodgkin's lymphoma, starting 5 day chemo tomorrow. I know it's survival rate is fairly high but yeah...

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I hate getting physicals every year because I just know they are going to say, "Mr. Nihsen, we need you to come in to the office to discuss your bloodwork results." Fuck cancer, man.

So my uncle(not related by blood) has been chronically ill for months with a cough and other slight issues. The cough got so bad earlier this week he drove himself to the hospital in a haze and collapsed in the entry way of the emergency receiving area. They found his lungs are full of blood clots, these clots were caused by an immune response to something. Turns out that something is some form of cancer, its all over his body, they found it on his major organs and in his esophagus, im pretty sure its stage 4, it is for sure stage 3. It is likely he has the same cancer that took my fathers life just over 2 years ago. I have nothing but empathy for my Aunt, and that whole branch of the family. That shit is the pits, I know best of all.

I’ve never seen my dad look so tired as he did this weekend. The good news is that he won’t need any further treatment. The bad news is that he needs to slow down. He had major surgery a week and a half ago and his incision keeps coming apart because he’s trying to do too much.

I helped him out as much as I could, but I could tell that he felt bad that I was helping him. My sister helped some, but when we got to our family event, she was more interested in drinking than in helping me make sure our dad was ok :(.

Dave

Staff member
The problem with getting older is that the body ages at a different rate than the mind. You're so used to being able to do certain things that not being able to do them becomes a matter of pride vs. body.

GasBandit

Staff member
The problem with getting older is that the body ages at a different rate than the mind. You're so used to being able to do certain things that not being able to do them becomes a matter of pride vs. body.
"I ain't as good as I once was. But I'm as good *once* as I ever was." - Toby Keith

My dad has been in the hospital for the 5th time in a year for fluid on his lungs or in his chest. And the doctor said that he finally developed Stage 1 Leukemia. Turning 89 sucks.