[Announcement] Halforums Stock Exchange is OPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor poor Apple. Steve Jobs is dead. Who will save them from their own stupidity and complete and utter inability to run a profitable company now?

Even though they're still quite profitable...
It really is just a weird situation. They sold a record number of iPhones for at least the quarter, are stupendously profitable, etc. etc., but the stock market has such ludicrously high expectations that poor Tim Cooke just can't keep up.

It really is just a weird situation. They sold a record number of iPhones for at least the quarter, are stupendously profitable, etc. etc., but the stock market has such ludicrously high expectations that poor Tim Cooke just can't keep up.
Talk about a reality distortion field! "Apple sold 47.8 million iPhones!" "Well, the Street expected them to sell 50 million, so they missed expectations and you should dump all your stock." "Dude, they only had 47.8 million iPhones!" "Yes, and that's why they missed estimates!"

I am so glad I no longer work in securities, if this is the sort of "wisdom" being passed around these days.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Arg. Memory prices are starting to go up, so I thought that might be a good indicator to buy stock in Corsair or Kingston... but neither CRSR or KSYT are in this simulation >_<

No, I am totally NOT trying to post just so I can get enough to buy a few shares of DJIA stock.

Okay, maybe partially.

Superbowl stocks are up today. Gun stocks down, but still up from where they were prior to the president's announcement.

It would be nice if Biden could say something else about guns that was either actually silly or just easily misconstrued. Gun stocks would skyrocket.

I think the republicans have successfully turned national attention away from that to immigration reform.

Wonder if there are immigration related stocks to invest in...

I have a feeling I held on to weight watchers too long. I thought it would take a couple months before the new years resolutions went down the crapper. I'm hoping they get a second wind and jump back up again, I was making some good money on them.

Dave

Staff member
I bought something called "General Finance" on Monday. It went up 38% that day.

Since then it's plummeted to 41.57% below what I bought the stock at. That's what I get for not being around.

Don't feel bad... my Stratasys stock was doing solid... around a 15% gain.

Now I have almost the worst rated portfolio here. So much like the real stock market (at least I don't have to get depressed over these losses).

GasBandit

Staff member
... and stories like those are why I'm scared to put my sawbucks where my halbucks are. I'd rather convince myself that the fund managers of my IRAs know better than me what to do (although Janus did about as well for me over the last 5 years as if I'd just invested in DJIA and ignored it, grumble grumble. T Rowe Price has been better somewhat.).

... and stories like those are why I'm scared to put my sawbucks where my halbucks are. I'd rather convince myself that the fund managers of my IRAs know better than me what to do (although Janus did about as well for me over the last 5 years as if I'd just invested in DJIA and ignored it, grumble grumble. T Rowe Price has been better somewhat.).
So what your saying is that the stock market is too unpredictable for the common man and that your unsure of how to use it for your advantage (if it even has one)? Why do you hate capitalism, Gas? You need to go out and buy stocks. FEED THE BEAST!

GasBandit

Staff member
So what your saying is that the stock market is too unpredictable for the common man and that your unsure of how to use it for your advantage (if it even has one)? Why do you hate capitalism, Gas? You need to go out and buy stocks. FEED THE BEAST!
I didn't say the common man. I definitely am not common. I said for me.

And I do buy stocks. Like I said, I have two IRAs full of mutual funds managed by people with way more tools than I have.

Though, I will say I got my tip on P&F from AAII.com. I'm pretty convinced that anyone who wants to get into investing "for reals" would really benefit from paying to be a member there.

I'm not doing anything at all, not follwing closely, and I've invested almost exclusively in banks and super-safe stocks and like....And I'm still getting easily DOUBLE the return I'd get from a savings account around here. I might have to start playing on the stock market as the very super safe investor - "low" returns are still way higher than anything any bank'll give me, even after deducting taxes and folder managing costs. Ridiculous.

Superbowl is on Sunday, so it's time to dump my superbowl stocks.

I don't know what to invest in next, though. I put a finger on Apple as I expect the rumor mill about this year's releases (iphone 5S or 6, ipda mini generation 2, Ipad generation 5, the continuing merging of OSX and iOS, etc) should be tipping over again in the next month or two.

But I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

Guns are holding pretty stready, which means they're probably due for a drop, so I'm going to sell them as well. Cabella's has been particularly profitable.

Apple may make short-term gains but it's not going to be a must-buy stock again until they get another Steve Jobs or a few years pass. It doesn't matter how well their products sell. It doesn't matter that Wozniak is still doing the heavy lifting in the tech development. It only matters that Jobs is gone and now the company is feeling the after effects of building such a cult of personality around him. Microsoft is going to be in the same boat when Gates leaves for good.

Really, this is all about public perception.

I don't know about that. They've taken a drubbing recently, and the iPad mini shows that they now believe Android and companies using Android to be a viable threat.

They still have legs, though. Looks like the next phone is due this summer, and the next ipads this fall. The iPad is going to be available with 128GB of flash starting next week, and this spring Microsoft is set to release iPad versions of it office software. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they've just released the surface, and the intel based surface should be out soon, running all windows program natively. This should actually put a huge dent into the iPad, but will make less of a dent if you can run MS Office on the iPad.

I'm just trying to stick to the DJIA and a few stocks of interest. I kinda ran out of $ when I got to the bottom of the DJIA, so I'm slowly trying to buy up some of the two remaining stocks so I can have 10 of each.

I don't know about that. They've taken a drubbing recently, and the iPad mini shows that they now believe Android and companies using Android to be a viable threat.

They still have legs, though. Looks like the next phone is due this summer, and the next ipads this fall. The iPad is going to be available with 128GB of flash starting next week, and this spring Microsoft is set to release iPad versions of it office software. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they've just released the surface, and the intel based surface should be out soon, running all windows program natively. This should actually put a huge dent into the iPad, but will make less of a dent if you can run MS Office on the iPad.
It's all about market saturation at this point. Microsoft is developing for competing platforms because it wants Windows to be as ubiquitous on handhelds as it is on PCs. When people can get the familiarness of Windows on a trendy Apple product, Microsoft wins big.

They are banking on PCs leaving the home market in favor of handhelds the next few decades and this is just them trying to get an early lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.