[Announcement] Halforums Stock Exchange is OPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid Wells Fargo just killed me. Had to sell all $32k worth of my John Deere stock. I hate credit rating agencies.

Dave

Staff member
So I heard this place called Anaren was going to be bought. I bought 500 shares this morning at $19.61 a share. At close? $22.55 a share! Up 15% in one day! SCORE! (Now that I've bragged, tomorrow will be a sell off and it'll lose all its value...)

Dave

Staff member
Buy Netflix! Get in early. I've heard that it took a jump overnight thanks to some positive news and will climb early!

B

BErt

Buy Netflix! Get in early. I've heard that it took a jump overnight thanks to some positive news and will climb early!
I wasn't invested anywhere else at the time, so I figured I would bite. Nice tip!

Read that on the news yesterday, looked at the quote and didn't see any movement. So after hours trading will be adjusted immediately when the market opens?

Dave

Staff member
Read that on the news yesterday, looked at the quote and didn't see any movement. So after hours trading will be adjusted immediately when the market opens?
Apparently. Seems like a bit of a hole in the game, but I've tried it before and been bitten. One time I tried it and bought a truckload of stock from somewhere. It spiked up and then by the time I knew what was happening it went down like a rock. I lost a ton of cash on that one. But if you don't mind taking the 5% hit I guess you could troll the after hours & sell right away.

I bought my Netflix stock when it was still $85 a share, and still lament that it was with fake money. :p

Dave

Staff member
I wish this thing had fake stocks that moved randomly based off of a specific set of criteria that I could set. Like a stock that was high risk/high reward could have daily fluctuations that were amazing, or a calmer stock might fluctuate a little down or up but would be fairly steady. Then there would be random events that could be either randomly triggered or caused by forum actions to keep things even more interesting.

Basically, what we have now, only not based on real-world stuff.

GasBandit

Staff member
And once again I am frustrated by the scoring method of the game. I just changed almost all my positions, and as a result my $140,000,000 portfolio is ranked a very "meh" middle of the pack because only the gains I made from noon onward today are reflected.

If you really want it to be competitive. Wipe people's portfolios. Give everyone a certain amount of cash. Disable earning money by posting. Then totals would actually mean something.

Dave

Staff member
We could certainly do that. What does everyone else think about it? Do you think people would give up their precious HalBucks?

And once again I am frustrated by the scoring method of the game. I just changed almost all my positions, and as a result my $140,000,000 portfolio is ranked a very "meh" middle of the pack because only the gains I made from noon onward today are reflected.
I think you've got an extra set of zeroes there, moneybags[DOUBLEPOST=1367881701][/DOUBLEPOST]
We could certainly do that. What does everyone else think about it? Do you think people would give up their precious HalBucks?
Not agaaaaaaaaaaain! Wait, aren't I supposed to be trying to depose you after you got rid of my previously ill-gotten gains?

But, I enjoy playing, not really for the reasons of collecting my unusable HalBucks

I see this more as a way to play the stock market without the nasty "losing your life savings because you suck at picking stocks" side effect.

GasBandit

Staff member
I see this more as a way to play the stock market without the nasty "losing your life savings because you suck at picking stocks" side effect.
Well, as far as real life goes, that's why there are mutual funds. PRWCX may miss out on netflix-like doubles in value, but it's also doubtful you'll lose it all. It tanked like everything else in 2008 but no worse than the market at large, and since then has outperformed it quite handily. And while it may not be exciting, I'll take the steady, reliable growth for my IRA.

I would prefer they add functionality to the app to discern money earned by selling (or holding stock) and keep everything else the same so I can keep a record my current stock picks and valuation over time, but in absence of that I am totally down for "Seasons of HLFX" where we just get some fixed amount that only improves via the stock market.

So THAT's what's been bleeding me money. I knew it! I lost a million HalBucks on that!

...What, I exaggerated too much again? Not really convincing? Oh darn. :p

It appears I've finally found a stock that's capable of staying green.

... now watch it collapse after I've posted this.

Dave

Staff member
If you got Netflix you are in hog heaven. It's very up and down but last week it went up more than $10 - twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.