Export thread

Halforums Stock Exchange is OPEN!

Limit: 500

Dave

Dave

I will be shutting off the site for about 1/2 hour to an hour in about 10 minutes or so. This will cover planned maintenance and security upgrade to XenForo as well as a reboot of the server to clear the tmp cache.

And I'm adding something cool along the way. You'll see....

UPDATE!!!

So what all did I do?

• Upgraded the site to XF version 1.1.2. This is a security/dev update that didn't necessarily HAVE to be done, but I did it for a specific reason.
  • I rebooted the server and cleared the tmp cache. I've been getting warnings that the site was having high load averages and this is frequently the culprit.
  • I added something that will allow us to utilize our HalBucks.
You may have noticed that there is a new tab called "Stock Trader". This is a game that will allow users to use their HalBucks to bet on the stock market! This is step one of making HalBucks useful and fun. The next steps are under development and I'm not saying anything yet.

Right now we aren't having a contest, but we will be soon. Have fun and get rich!!

Couple of rules you need to know:

• Buying and selling of stock takes a 5% cut. House always wins, yo!
  • You have to wait 3 days before you can sell a stock you bought.
  • HalBucks made by posting, replying and stuff can be used to purchase stocks. So if you are tapped out & want to get that hot stock, post, post, post!!
How to get HalBucks:
  • Posting new thread - 10 HB
  • Posting reply - 1 HB
  • Someone liking your thread (positive like) - 10 HB
There are a couple other ways but I ain't saying because it would promote even more bad posts. Oh, and there is a word limit, so thread games generally don't give points. :-P

phil

phil

ah! panic!

Calleja

Calleja

I'm probably gonna cause a market crash so big it'll bring the Great Halforums Depression. People will be eaten. I'm sorry, I really am, economics just aren't my thing, but STOCKS ARE FUN

Dave

Dave

Knock yourself out! You can trade from any of the US markets (NYSE, NASDAQ, etc.) as well as the German and UK exchanges. More countries will be forthcoming, but all prices are in USD, even though you will buy/sell stock with your HalBucks.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Finally a chance to put my 64 billion halbucks to good use!

Dave

Dave

What's really cool is that when we have contests I will switch the money to the base Stock Exchange and we'll use that for the contest instead of HalBucks.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Everyone should donate all their halbucks to me just so that Dave doesn't have to code it so that I can steal all of your halbucks. Myself I am going to invest heavily in guns and oil! Yeehaw!

Calleja

Calleja

How do you earn Halbucks anyway? I'm like... poor.

Dave

Dave

-heh-

bhamv3

bhamv3

Huh, I think I'll buy some stocks. What about Apple, lemme look up Apple...

:eek:

I can't afford Apple. I'm gonna buy stock in Manchester United instead.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh I see, you'll give him Halbucks but my 64 billion are "unaccounted for" bah you crook!:p

Dave

Dave

I tried to mass reset everyone to 1000 but the system wouldn't let me. I could have gone into the database to do it by hand but decided I'd just give out as needed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

All right then, I've got stock in a soccer team, a tech company, and a finance company. Seems like a pretty good, diversified portfolio there.

Now watch as a financial crash brings down the tech company and bankrupts the soccer team.

Dave

Dave

Got it! Everyone has HB5000. Those early adopters who already bought stock get to keep those as a gift for being here at the right time.[DOUBLEPOST=1354674413][/DOUBLEPOST]Has the site slowed down because of this or is it just me because I have several windows open?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm, when I try to go to spend my shiny new 5000 halbucks, it still says I only have 17 dollars on hand. And it also says (You have insufficient funds to purchase this stock)

Dave

Dave

Try it now.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Works now, seem to be no problems.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Site did seem a little slower than usual when I was coming here.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yay I now have stocks in such a wide variety of companies that nothing can bring me down, short of a worldwide zombie apocalypse.

Dave

Dave

Same here, Poe. I need to hunt me down some bottlenecks.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm investing everything in ENRON.

It's due to make a comeback.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm investing everything in ENRON.

It's due to make a comeback.
Well right now the forum front page lists you as number 1 among the Top Portfolios, so clearly you're doing something right.

Dave

Dave

I'm getting Google errors server side. Something isn't liking me very much. Maybe a bad ad?

bhamv3

bhamv3

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any differences in speed here on my side of the Pacific.

Dave

Dave

Probably my son watching Netflix again. :eek:

Far

Far

Everyone has HB5000.

boat.jpg

Seriously though I have no idea what I'm doing with this stock thing. Gonna go bankrupt in a week.

klew

klew

Guessing we can't short stocks?

Dave

Dave

Guessing we can't short stocks?
Nope.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I want to buy on margin.

Hylian

Hylian

I will soon be broke but I will give it a try :)

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm in, and almost out of money already. Not sure how I'll do, but I'm giving it a chance.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Does whatever engine you are using account for dividends?

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

Apparently our class was the only class that didn't try this in high school, so I can't pass up a chance to do it now. I'm in, and have what will hopefully prove itself to be a quite nice little portfolio. Assuming the politicians can get their wangs out in time to keep us from going over the fiscal cliff, of course.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hey cool, you can see other people's portfolios.

Stienman's portfolio made me giggle.

Frank

Frank

I just bought like 3600 shares in THQ.

I know a sure thing when I see it.

Wahad

Wahad

I bought some Atmos stocks.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Might as well buy me a barrel and some suspenders right away, because I suck at economics :p

strawman

strawman

Noooo Apple! Uuuuuup! You're supposed to go uuuuuuuuuup...

:cry:

Dave Any chance of daytrading anytime soon? Forcing us to hold a stock for 5 days is fine, but it means that I'm not going to remember to check my portfolio very often because I have no choice to change it.

Even a 24 hour hold time would make me want to visit the game at least once a day, without unduly hampering those that only visit the forum once a day.

I imagine that if I could buy and sell stock every hour, though, I'd probably get addicted to fiddling (ie, I'd lose all my money), so 24 hours seems to be a reasonable timeframe.

Just throwing that out there...

Dave

Dave

I can change it to 1 day. No problems. But the British and German markets were added so that you could have all hours covered. I soon hope to have the Nikkei also.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Frank's bundle of shares in THQ has dropped 14% already. :rofl:

strawman

strawman

http://finance.yahoo.com/marketupdate/upgrades

Hmmm... some interesting stocks listed.

Dave

Dave

I don't have sufficient funds to buy this. For now.

strawman

strawman

MUST POST MOAR THREADS.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

All oil and gas here... should be interesting.

Stienman, Apple has nowhere to go but down.[DOUBLEPOST=1354724072][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just bought like 3600 shares in THQ.

I know a sure thing when I see it.

Hey, you should buy RIM too... I hear their stocks are a bargain! ;)

bhamv3

bhamv3

Damn, AIG is actually going up? That was going to be my junk stock.

Hylian

Hylian

I purchased a bunch of Netflix stock in hopes it is going to go up based on them winning the rights to stream Disney but so far the stock has gone down :(

Shakey

Shakey

Hell yes TAP! It's the holidays and everyone needs a drink during the holidays.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm just gonna save up my HALBucks and buy one share of Berkshire Hathaway.

strawman

strawman

Stienman, Apple has nowhere to go but down.
And google and amazon, apparently.

Early morning trading is brutal. I'll have to look up stocks in the other available exchanges so my numbers change all day rather than just during US business hours.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Holy shit! Am I reading this right? One share of BRK-A costs one hundred and thirty thousand dollars?

That's like the final boss of the stock market game, man. Buy one share of BRK-A and you've won.

strawman

strawman

You have enough halbucks to buy well over 50 shares of BRK-B right now. It's gonna be awhile until you get enough for BRK-A.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah, its Warren Buffet's company. He refuses to split shares. It really does seem like a stock market status symbol (though it probably makes good money too).

strawman

strawman

We should have a back to the future game, which, if you beat, you get to choose one stock to invest money in at a specific point in the past.

Dave

Dave

Bad idea. Both A & B have been trending downward for some time now.[DOUBLEPOST=1354725459][/DOUBLEPOST]
We should have a back to the future game, which, if you beat, you get to choose one stock to invest money in at a specific point in the past.
You should invent that addon.

Frank

Frank

Frank's bundle of shares in THQ has dropped 14% already. :rofl:
You're telling me that my video game company on the verge of collapsing's stocks are continuing their toilet spiral. NO! NO! NO! NOOOOO!

strawman

strawman

You're telling me that my video game company on the verge of collapsing's stocks are continuing their toilet spiral. NO! NO! NO! NOOOOO!
You have two halbucks left. I'm sure if you show faith in them by purchasing more, you'll find the stock rallies with you.[DOUBLEPOST=1354727159][/DOUBLEPOST]Why is it that every time I see halbucks, I read it bollocks?

Frank

Frank

I'm gonna death grip these babies until they either get de-listed or return to their soaring eagle place of glory.[DOUBLEPOST=1354727320][/DOUBLEPOST]So far, I'm winning the metagame of see how fast I can lose money. Down 900 dollars already.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, its Warren Buffet's company. He refuses to split shares. It really does seem like a stock market status symbol (though it probably makes good money too).
He broke the "old" stock market when the price of one share of BRK-A went over 9999.99 for the first time. Apparently the NYSE hadn't prepared for $10k.

Hey Dave , any word on whether dividends get added back in?

--Patrick

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

PatrThom, I doubt that things like dividends and return on investement payouts are taken into account here (otherwise I would have bought nothing but trust funds).

I'm pretty sure this is purely a capital gains game.

Dave

Dave

He broke the "old" stock market when the price of one share of BRK-A went over 9999.99 for the first time. Apparently the NYSE hadn't prepared for $10k.

Hey Dave , any word on whether dividends get added back in?

--Patrick
I don't know.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm pretty sure this is purely a capital gains game.
Rats. How am I supposed to properly balance and diversify my portfolio?
[DOUBLEPOST=1354727918][/DOUBLEPOST]Also October would have been an awesome time to have started this. In October, lots of stuff goes down as companies deal with the end of the fiscal year, and there are almost always lots of bargains to be had.

--Patrick

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Diversification? Pffft... I'm all oil and gas. Look at Frank, that guys got some balls. ALL THQ BABY!!! ;)

Dave

Dave

[DOUBLEPOST=1354727918][/DOUBLEPOST]Also October would have been an awesome time to have started this. In October, lots of stuff goes down as companies deal with the end of the fiscal year, and there are almost always lots of bargains to be had.

--Patrick
It just came available in the last few days. Plus I just had the money to buy it as I got paid on the 3rd. Additionally, it fell right about the time I did my upgrade & stuff after testing. So although not October, it fit well with me personally.[DOUBLEPOST=1354728208][/DOUBLEPOST]
Diversification? Pffft... I'm all oil and gas. Look at Frank, that guys got some balls. ALL THQ BABY!!! ;)
I even got some German stocks so I can lose money 24/7!

strawman

strawman

I've got several stocks I want to buy (korea electric, chipotle, target, buffalo wild wings) but no money.

Anyone want to send me their unused halbucks?

Also, I find it funny that the people who aren't playing at all are doing better than 2/3 of the people who are playing, simply by holding onto their halbucks.

Dave

Dave

I've upped the HB gained by board activity.

• New thread - 100 HB
  • Replying to thread - 50 HB (remember there is a character limit so if your post is only a word or two you'll be disappointed.)
  • Having a post liked - 100 HB (Hmmm. This one doesn't seem to be working.)

Frank

Frank

Sweet, let's see if I can end up buying more stock in THQ than actually exists on the market.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Heh, and to break even your stock has to gain 5% just to cover the commission! Welcome to the market (of pain and suffering)!

PatrThom

PatrThom

not October, it fit well with me personally.
Not complaining. Just giving buying advice. :)

--Patrick

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I've upped the HB gained by board activity.

• New thread - 100 HB
  • Replying to thread - 50 HB (remember there is a character limit so if your post is only a word or two you'll be disappointed.)
  • Having a post liked - 100 HB (Hmmm. This one doesn't seem to be working.)

This might really artificially inflate people's portfolio's (except possibly Frank's lol)

Frank

Frank

Every like and every post gets me 45 shares closer to my goal.

BErt

Ok I helped...please don't forget us little people when you're living in your solid gold mansion

Dave

Dave

I figured that the 5,000 HB went by so fast that getting 10 for a thread and 1 for a post would make it incredibly difficult to hold on to large portfolios and still have playing money.[DOUBLEPOST=1354729302][/DOUBLEPOST]
The likes aren't working right now. I thought I said that. :)

strawman

strawman

Now I'm curious if puns will award halbucks. Just in case, I better stock up on them - hoarding isn't good, but I'm not going to share mine when the next recession hits.

Frank

Frank

I figured that the 5,000 HB went by so fast that getting 10 for a thread and 1 for a post would make it incredibly difficult to hold on to large portfolios and still have playing money.[DOUBLEPOST=1354729302][/DOUBLEPOST]

The likes aren't working right now. I thought I said that. :)
I don't have time to read posts all the way through. I'm too busy. Too busy making history.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay, time to come up with things to say... Particularly things that everybody agrees on, so they will like my posts.

Let's see now... EA sucks, Kurtz sucks, minotaur genitalia, Nick's prom night... what else is there?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I don't have time to read posts all the way through. I'm to busy. To busy making history.

Dude... you should buy some EA too... you know... to diversify :D

strawman

strawman

Heh, and to break even your stock has to gain 5% just to cover the commission! Welcome to the market (of pain and suffering)!
Yeah, that'll dampen quick trading.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Okay, time to come up with things to say... Particularly things that everybody agrees on, so they will like my posts.

Let's see now... EA sucks, Kurtz sucks, minotaur genitalia, Nick's prom night... what else is there?
...sauna pants? You definitely forgot sauna pants.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Fuuuck, I gotta post to get more Halbucks? Well, get ready for me to shit up the board.

Dave

Dave

Fuuuck, I gotta post to get more Halbucks? Well, get ready for me to shit up the board.
There's a character limit. Don't hit the limit, you get nothing. NOTHING!!

strawman

strawman

So, there's this man crawling through the desert...

:awesome:

Dave

Dave

:ban:

drifter

drifter

There's a character limit. Don't hit the limit, you get nothing. NOTHING!!
Now you tell me. What's the limit?:aaah:

strawman

strawman

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just sharing a laugh.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hey Dave... is it possible to add the Toronto Stock Exchange to the listings? There's a few Canadian penny stocks I might want to buy up.

strawman

strawman

Dave it's easy to create a short post that meets the current requirements, and may result in a lot of single line spam. I suggest a few sentences at minimum, something around 180 or more characters.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Yeah, this isn't Twitter!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Who's still in first place after the first day of trading?

ME!

This trend can only possibly continue forever.

PatrThom

PatrThom

something around 180 or more characters.
That's just one character a day for 6 months, and your characters will go towards sponsoring the forum member of your choice. You will also receive an avatar of the forum member you are sponsoring* so you will know what a difference you are making in that poster's life.

--Patrick
*Accuracy of avatar not guaranteed, especially for stienman

BErt

I may have to start posting more than 3 times a month now. Like maybe 5 or 6 times.

Shakey

Shakey

Who's still in first place after the first day of trading?

ME!

This trend can only possibly continue forever.
I hate you so much.

Angry-Baby-300x291.jpg

Dave

Dave

Right now the limit is only 20 characters. I could up it, but I think 20 takes care of most of the crap posts.

Emrys

Emrys

You forgot doomweasels. If you had mentioned those, I would definitely have given you a "like" but since you didn't, too bad. Better luck next time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The dart board method never fails.

Dave

Dave

I'll look into adding the Canadian & Japanese markets. Actually, I'll bug the dev to do it. :D

BErt

So you're saying i should invest in dartboards...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So you're saying i should invest in dartboards...
Or at least replace your angry baby with the ETrade baby.

strawman

strawman

Right now the limit is only 20 characters. I could up it, but I think 20 takes care of most of the crap posts.
Had I known that 20 minutes ago, I wouldn't have posted 5 posts narrowing it down to 17-24 characters.

I also discovered that deleted posts removed that money.

Now I have to find out if I make a post, spend the money, then delete a post does my HB account go negative...

Dave

Dave

Or at least replace your angry baby with the ETrade baby.
E*Trade baby, you say?

Frank is losing all his money?!? Here's my surprised face!

Shakey

Shakey

Had I known that 20 minutes ago, I wouldn't have posted 5 posts narrowing it down to 17-24 characters.

I also discovered that deleted posts removed that money.

Now I have to find out if I make a post, spend the money, then delete a post does my HB account go negative...
This is why we can't have nice things.

Frank

Frank

I've gone from being down 900 to 700.

SO THERE!

Dave

Dave

WHAT?!? Posting and then deleting the post gives no HB so people can't just spam/delete/spam/delete? No way!

Frank

Frank

So, seriously, THQ is in some shit. Their stock has devalued like 20% today. When shares are a buck, that's nuts.

Hylian

Hylian

I have been playing this for less than a day so far and I am already positive that I should not buy any stocks in real life.

strawman

strawman

WHAT?!? Posting and then deleting the post gives no HB so people can't just spam/delete/spam/delete? No way!
Obviously the developers anticipated people like me.

Curses! Foiled again! If it wasn't for these teenagers and their dog the Johnson farm would be mine!

Also, if you're ever curious about where your halbucks are coming from (or going) check out your bank history:

https://www.halforums.com/bank/history

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, if you're ever curious about where your halbucks are coming from (or going) check out your bank history:

https://www.halforums.com/bank/history
Do you think less of me for hovering over that link to make sure it wasn't really something like http*://www.halforums.com/xenforo/bank/history/?transfer_destination=stienman&transfer_amount=100&confirm=TRUE ?

--Patrick
*inserted asterisk to make sure forum didn't shorten the displayed link.

strawman

strawman

So, seriously, THQ is in some shit. Their stock has devalued like 20% today. When shares are a buck, that's nuts.
I've learned a little about these types of stocks in the last day. They appear to be called penny stocks, and will become delisted by the stock exchange if things don't turn around in a reasonable amount of time.

Investors suggest people stay away from them unless they are traded at high volumes, and at that point they might consider day trading them, or buying and holding if they know they will go back up.

Otherwise it's usually a waste to do so. While the one penny stock I hold may have some value in the future, it's traded at such a low volume that when you sell, it sells low, and when you buy it buys high - because you are the majority of the market for that day. So you should always check the daily average volume before considering a penny stock.[DOUBLEPOST=1354733079][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do you think less of me for hovering over that link to make sure it wasn't really something like http*://www.halforums.com/xenforo/bank/history/?transfer_destination=stienman&transfer_amount=100&confirm=TRUE ?

--Patrick
*inserted asterisk to make sure forum didn't shorten the displayed link.
I think you overestimate me. Wish I'd thought of that!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

...sauna pants? You definitely forgot sauna pants.

--Patrick
I'm going to find you, gouge out your eyes and empty my piss bag into your empty sockets...

You forgot doomweasels. If you had mentioned those, I would definitely have given you a "like" but since you didn't, too bad. Better luck next time.
...and then I will let the doomweasels have you.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm going to find you, gouge out your eyes and empty my piss bag into your empty sockets...
--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

My father is an investment advisor. I am going to be rich.

Or discover my father is horrible at his job.

strawman

strawman

My father is an investment advisor. I am going to be rich.

Or discover my father is horrible at his job.
You don't say?

:ninja:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Shakey

Shakey

Beer is kicking ass. Time to invest in guns.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Beer is kicking ass. Time to invest in guns.

Good luck. Almost no gun companies are publicly traded... they are all private.

Shakey

Shakey

Good luck. Almost no gun companies are publicly traded... they are all private.
I know. Ruger is though, and they look like they're due for a bit of a recovery. Of course they could just be coming down from the fears over the election. People like to buy up guns and ammo cause Obama might take them away.

Gared

Gared

I know. Ruger is though, and they look like they're due for a bit of a recovery. Of course they could just be coming down from the fears over the election. People like to buy up guns and ammo cause Obama might take them away.
Actually read recently that gun sales are way up recently, because more women are buying guns, people want zombie defenses, and listed uncertainty about the country/hatred of Obama as the 3rd reason. Plus, it's almost Christmas. What woman doesn't want a pretty pink Glock of her own, to unwrap on Christmas morn'?

Shakey

Shakey

Actually read recently that gun sales are way up recently, because more women are buying guns, people want zombie defenses, and listed uncertainty about the country/hatred of Obama as the 3rd reason. Plus, it's almost Christmas. What woman doesn't want a pretty pink Glock of her own, to unwrap on Christmas morn'?
Plus the fiscal cliff and possible end of the world is approaching! Stock up while you can.

I remember when Obama was elected the first time. My mom actually came to me and told me to start stocking up on ammunition. She said Obama was going to force the price up so no one could afford bullets any more. :confused:

strawman

strawman

Plus the fiscal cliff and possible end of the world is approaching! Stock up while you can.
Oh right! The world is ending in just over two weeks.

I keep forgetting.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Isn't 3 days a bit long of a lock? How's a fella supposed to day trade?

Dave

Dave

Isn't 3 days a bit long of a lock? How's a fella supposed to day trade?
Day trading now open. I took off the lock.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Day trading now open. I took off the lock.
Oh man. Kiss all your money goodbye, GB.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hah, oh man, I am hemorrhaging money.

Dave

Dave

Remember the 5% commission on selling/trading!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hah, oh man, I am hemorrhaging money.
This is why we can't trust people to fend for themselves.

:troll:

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is why we can't trust people to fend for themselves.

:troll:

Adam

Adam

Love. Love. Love this.

strawman

strawman

I followed your advice, bought THQI in the middle of the day, and it's up 7%

WOOOOO!

Thanks man! I made almost a dollar off that tip, and I bought another share to boot.

Adam

Adam

Jesus Frank, rogue traders don't do as poorly as you.

Hylian

Hylian

I think I will ride Netflix stock for a bit longer but so far it has been dropping like crazy ever since I bought it. I think I will give it till tomorrow and than I will sell off a chunk of it so I can diversify my portfolio a bit more.

strawman

strawman

Now the real test for me will be how it works on the iPad. If I can fiddle with my portfolio anytime, anywhere, I can see addiction not too far behind.

BErt

I bought everything last night from the ipad without any problems. Now that the lock is off i may have to charge the battery a little more often.

strawman

strawman

Yeah. I'm going to be in trouble. I only recently deleted the bookmarks from the last forum game from the ipad. It was a wealth building game of some sort wasn't it? I can't remember now, just that if you paid attention and fiddled with it often enough you could gain a ton of wealth pretty quickly and beat the other players in annoying ways.

I suppose this is going to be just as competitive and fun, but without the direct attacks on the other players, and much less easily gamed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

*wakes up*

*checks stocks first thing in the morning*

Hmm, Nvidia took a minor tumble there.

Gared

Gared

Hmm... For some reason the Stock quoter refuses to retrieve a stock quote (or allow me the option to purchase shares), even though it comes up automatically as a choice if I type in the company name (8x8, stock symbol EGHT). Bloomberg has no trouble pulling it up, any clues what's up?

Dave

Dave

Hmm... For some reason the Stock quoter refuses to retrieve a stock quote (or allow me the option to purchase shares), even though it comes up automatically as a choice if I type in the company name (8x8, stock symbol EGHT). Bloomberg has no trouble pulling it up, any clues what's up?
Nope. It's happened to me a few times as well. Asking the devs now.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Hooray! 8.50 in one day! Thank you facebook.

Frank

Frank

Jesus Frank, rogue traders don't do as poorly as you.
THQ baby. I will own it all.

Dave

Dave

Should be fixed. The dev sent over some code changes that I implemented. Seems some of teh NASDAQ stocks were parsing wrong.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Bit of a long-term question, but does the game take stock dividends into account?

Shakey

Shakey

Also, is there a way to group shares together? I get antsy and buy stock every chance I get, which means I have a bunch of single stocks from RGR. I get why it's like that, but if I want to sell RGR I have to do a separate transaction for each stock and I'm guessing get charged the $5 for each transaction. Even though I have say 10 shares, I can only sell one at a time.

*And fuck yeah guns and beer!

Gared

Gared

Dang it, Costco and GM. You're killin' me here.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Also, is there a way to group shares together? I get antsy and buy stock every chance I get, which means I have a bunch of single stocks from RGR. I get why it's like that, but if I want to sell RGR I have to do a separate transaction for each stock and I'm guessing get charged the $5 for each transaction. Even though I have say 10 shares, I can only sell one at a time.
That's actually pretty irritating.

Dave

Dave

I have no idea how it will work with dividends right now.

There is no way to group stocks right now, but the commission is 5%, not a flat fee, which shouldn't have an effect. This is precisely why I have it as a %.

Costco fucked me earlier today as well.

I tried to game the system this morning and see if you could. I went to a real-time ticker and tried to take advantage of the delay. Apparently the quotes we initially get are real time so that didn't work. I got fucked hard.

Shakey

Shakey

Ahhh, I thought it was a flat fee. That's fine then.

I need to start diversifying into hard liquor. Time to find a good cheap rum company.

Hylian

Hylian

I sold off most of my Netflix shares and diversified my portfolio a bit more and at first it seemed to be going well and I ended up being $20 ahead. I decided to take a peak just now and I am now negative $9 and my stock that is doing the best is my Netflix shares that I sold most of.

Adam

Adam

There is no way to group stocks right now, but the commission is 5%, not a flat fee, which shouldn't have an effect. This is precisely why I have it as a %.

I tried to game the system this morning and see if you could. I went to a real-time ticker and tried to take advantage of the delay. Apparently the quotes we initially get are real time so that didn't work. I got fucked hard.
5% is actually a pretty high commission for a market trade. Scratch that, extremely high commission. Most online trading services offer trades in the $5-$10 range. I like the idea that it's keeping inflation down for Halbucks, especially as we don't have any cash outflows.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Bit of a long-term question, but does the game take stock dividends into account?
See? SEE?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, guns was a good investment. Almost cancels out Amazon and GSK >_<

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Debating Lockheed Martin. Historically, their stock seems in decent shape, but if the F-35 orders keep getting canceled, it will probably take a bath.

strawman

strawman

Debating Lockheed Martin. Historically, their stock seems in decent shape, but if the F-35 orders keep getting canceled, it will probably take a bath.
AIMC holds Boston Dynamics, which created the big dog robot, among others, and seems like it's on a pretty good upward swing, if you want a defense stock that doesn't seem to be too touchy right now.

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I took 20 shares of Boeing stock, but may be regretting it if their negotiations with their engineers' union don't go smoothly (and it looks like they're headed for federal mediation, so that's not exactly smooth sailing). On the other hand, they've been killing it with their commercial orders recently.

MindDetective

MindDetective

AIMC holds Boston Dynamics, which created the big dog robot, among others, and seems like it's on a pretty good upward swing, if you want a defense stock that doesn't seem to be too touchy right now.
Thanks for the tip. If you steer me wrong, though... *shake fist*

strawman

strawman

Can't play with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm not kidding, I'll shake my fist at you!

strawman

strawman

Well look at that, I just made you a cool 8 cents.

You're welcome.

Shakey

Shakey

Man, guns was a good investment. Almost cancels out Amazon and GSK >_<
I have a feeling after the new year when everything settles down and the election is a distant memory, guns will drop. They would have been a great investment last year about this time.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Well look at that, I just made you a cool 8 cents.

You're welcome.
And I totally needed that 8 cents!!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have a feeling after the new year when everything settles down and the election is a distant memory, guns will drop. They would have been a great investment last year about this time.
You are probably right. The trick will be to know when to drop them.

Edit - if the pattern holds from 2008/9, late april will be the plunge.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And I totally needed that 8 cents!!
Use it to buy THQ stock!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm doing... okay. Up $172 dollars. My portfolia isn't diverse though, so I'm kinda stuck at the whims of a single company.

Adam

Adam

In other news, Frank is now the majority stakeholder in THQ and has announced the Witches and Weiners DLC pack for Saints Row: The Third.[DOUBLEPOST=1354827995][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm doing... okay. Up $172 dollars. My portfolia isn't diverse though, so I'm kinda stuck at the whims of a single company.
You are the 1%, making money off of poor Frank.

Covar

Covar

I had no trouble doing that with Yahoo Finance. The game seems to use a 15 minute delay of their real-time NASDAQ quotes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm getting some odd numbers in my portfolio... stocks from london telling me I've lost nearly 40% of my investment in them... but I haven't, and the rest of the numbers add up.

strawman

strawman

The purchase price for two stocks I purchased in the last hour are both messed up - higher than the cost I purchased them for. However, it's tracking total invested and current value ok, so it may just be a display error.

Shows me losing $2,000 on one stock though, so that's fun.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My british stocks are back to normal now. Must have just been a temporary glitch.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Woohoo, thank you, Nokia!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Woohoo, thank you, Nokia!
You mean thank you, China ;)

And as for myself, I'm in the green! I've gone from being among the best of the losers to among the worst of the winners! Wooo!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

it's a pity that Hostess is a private company. We could save Twinkies for Halforums!

Frank

Frank

In other news, Frank is now the majority stakeholder in THQ and has announced the Witches and Weiners DLC pack for Saints Row: The Third.[DOUBLEPOST=1354827995][/DOUBLEPOST]

You are the 1%, making money off of poor Frank.
Nah, my first action is to add Red Faction: Armageddon's DLC and Titan Quest to the Humble THQ Bundle! Get em now folks, seriously. Make my stocks rise.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So when do Dividends pay out? Once a week?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So when do Dividends pay out? Once a week?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can't believe I'm still in first place.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You mean thank you, China ;)
Dude. Not on independence day.

strawman

strawman

Mine somehow lost 2k, without any stocks losing that much. Weird...

strawman

strawman

And now it's back to normal. Interesting glitches.

Ah, I see you have the machine that goes PING!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Mine somehow lost 2k, without any stocks losing that much. Weird...
It's the economy. You put money in, and it mysteriously disappears. Ooooooooooooo...

Adam

Adam

It's the economy. You put money in, and it mysteriously disappears. Ooooooooooooo...

bhamv3

bhamv3

I gotta say, 5% seems like a pretty harsh fee. That means I won't be selling any shares until they rise above 5%, and that's not exactly easy to accomplish. Even something like 3% would feel much nicer.

strawman

strawman

Mattel (fisher price, etc) is looking pretty good these days. I'm going to see if they'll keep to their trend during the holidays.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:MAT

Frank

Frank

Dave's doing his damnedest to catch me in the red. But you can't Dave. You can't outsuck THQ.

klew

klew

Is there any trick to after hours trading, or is it as simple as it sounds and a way to throw off my predictions by making it essentially a 24-hour activity?

GasBandit

GasBandit

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I guess this forum game is one method of making sure us nerds don't go and crash the system :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

I bought a bunch of penny stocks, thinking they have nowhere to go but up.

I now have a bunch of half-a-penny stocks.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nah, my first action is to add Red Faction: Armageddon's DLC and Titan Quest to the Humble THQ Bundle! Get em now folks, seriously. Make my stocks rise.
Huh, that was you? Nice. No go add the TQ expansion as well, and I may be willing to part with a halBuck.

Dave

Dave

Huh, that was you? Nice. No go add the TQ expansion as well, and I may be willing to part with a halBuck.
Or win the bundle this Saturday in our Anniversary contest!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Or win the bundle this Saturday in our Anniversary contest!
I'll go and try, but for the record, I already own TQ and expansion both on Steam and on disc; and I've bought the THQ Bundle (so now I own it three times! I hate THQ, why do I keep giving them money?! Oh wait, I put my Bundle donation to 50/50 Humble Bundle and charity and 0% THQ :p)

jwhouk

jwhouk

All right, I'm late to the party, but I've got a realistic portfolio together. And to keep it local, I even added two of Wisconsin's major companies to my portfolio - Harley-Davidson and Wausau Paper.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Oh, by the by, I'd love to be able to invest in Euronext Brussels, so that I can go lose money locally, too.

You'll have to change the add-on around a bit to allow differing price forks, though - paying only 5% isn't realistic in Belgium, that's at least 20% :p

strawman

strawman

Woohoo! Go Samsung!

Loving the Berlin market.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Aaah! Somebody should have warned me! I thought this kind of big computer company was a sure-fire winner!

1. THQ Inc. (THQI) - 100 Shares

Purchased 100 Shares Today at 12:57 PM

Price:

Cost:

0.02 (1.63%)
    Current:

Value:

2.00 (1.63%)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe it's just my browser, but it's not showing anything for your THQ stocks. #thatsthejoke?[DOUBLEPOST=1354893289][/DOUBLEPOST]Dammit, this forum game is going to eat all my time, isn't it?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Logitech is STILL doing great.

Dave

Dave

I bought a stock that had been rising steadily all day yesterday. Until I bought it. Then it tanked. Yay me!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, it's hard enough when the market doesn't actually react to what you're doing...

Shakey

Shakey

I'm off the leader board! Just bought some stock in porn though, so I have faith I'll rise to the occasion.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

You try to be the loyal son and buy stock in the company your father works for... And which stock loses the most money? Dammit, Dad. Work harder.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

And yesterday finished on such a nice note, dammit Apple!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I know how you feel... Apple's been a goddang pain in the butt lately.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I know we're still in early morning trading (for the NYSE and NASDAQ anyways), so tons can change, but it's hard not to deflate a bit looking at some of those new trends. :megusta:

Dave

Dave

Holy shit! Look at my KONE stock in early trading!!!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

What's actually pretty interesting to me is that the things I had that were losing by small amounts yesterday are still losing by small amounts, but all the things that were doing well yesterday have pretty much just erased their price-bumps and a couple have dipped into actually losing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

ARGH! My guns betrayed me the NEXT DAY. Thanks to smith and wesson, I'm basically only slightly better than Frank's THQ takeover bid >_<

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Apple, wat r u doin?

Apple, stahp...

MindDetective

MindDetective

Hmm...I think I'm going to start buying some stocks representative of forum members, pitting you all in some kind of cruel fiscal battle royale.[DOUBLEPOST=1354904134][/DOUBLEPOST]And first up will be GasBandit as an obvious choice.[DOUBLEPOST=1354904409][/DOUBLEPOST]Hmm, and SpecialKO is remarkably similar to a Kellogg's brand...[DOUBLEPOST=1354904672][/DOUBLEPOST]Darn. Babies R Us (AKA Toys R Us) is privately owned. I'll need to think of something else for stienman

GasBandit

GasBandit

Actually, looking at the trends, Heinz does look like a pretty good investment...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Super curious what sexytimes company you'll be buying for me, MindDetective

MindDetective

MindDetective

Super curious what sexytimes company you'll be buying for me, MindDetective
I'm open to suggestions. In the meantime, Let's look around at what might be a good fit...[DOUBLEPOST=1354905146][/DOUBLEPOST]Chad Sexington shall be CHD, Church & Dwight, owners of the Trojan brand. It all comes together too perfectly.[DOUBLEPOST=1354905314][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I can't seem to tag you properly, Chad Sexington because of the space in your name. Is that a known issue?[DOUBLEPOST=1354905705][/DOUBLEPOST]And of course ThatNickGuy must obviously be Time Warner, owners of DC Comics.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington I seem to be able to tag myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1354905807][/DOUBLEPOST]Which is all I really have done these days. Zing.

Sad zing.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Chad Sexington I seem to be able to tag myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1354905807][/DOUBLEPOST]Which is all I really have done these days. Zing.

Sad zing.
Yeah, I figured out that it doesn't work if the @ immediately follows the "DOUBLEPOST" code.[DOUBLEPOST=1354905895][/DOUBLEPOST]Yeah, I figured out that it doesn't work if the @ immediately follows the "DOUBLEPOST" code.
And I just typed in PSY to see what came up. So Ravenpoe shall be represented by Blackrock Credit.[DOUBLEPOST=1354906000][/DOUBLEPOST]Similarly, I typed in DAVE and up comes Famous Dave's restaurants. There you go, Dave[DOUBLEPOST=1354906246][/DOUBLEPOST]For stienman I picked Stein Mart because he's SMRT.

Gared

Gared

I wonder if it says anything about me that my two most successful stock purchases so far have been Abbot Laboratories, and John Deere.

Shakey

Shakey

ARGH! My guns betrayed me the NEXT DAY. Thanks to smith and wesson, I'm basically only slightly better than Frank's THQ takeover bid >_<
Tell me about it. My beer stock is the only thing keeping me afloat.

Dave

Dave

KONE goes ka-BOOM!!!

Gared

Gared

KONE goes ka-BOOM!!!
Nicely done... you damn 1%er.

Dave

Dave

Nicely done... you damn 1%er.
Sorry, I can't hear you. I'm too busy rubbing HB all over my naked body.

Which is awkward. I'm at work. And HB are not real.

Gared

Gared

Well, I'm sure your co-workers are used to such behavior out of you by now. They probably just assume it's the alzheimer's.

strawman

strawman

Man, the way apple is dropping, it's going to new great investment soon.

Dave

Dave

Holy schnikies! Is anyone else chasing KONE or is it just me? It just jumped another $.21! On a $3 stock that's a LOT! I'm over $1000 profit right now![DOUBLEPOST=1354909551][/DOUBLEPOST]Getting nervous, though. I have all my eggs in one basket. I'm thinking of selling while I'm on top.

Bubble181

Bubble181

My only stock going up is Siemens in Berlin. My best US stock? THQ. :cry:

MindDetective

MindDetective

Ok, follow me on this one: Bubble181 has an owl for an avatar and thus reminded me of the owl from the tootsie pop commercials. He is now represented by Tootsie Roll.

BErt

Man Dave, you sure like the letter K

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

<--- I'll keep my money under the mattress and win it all.

Dave

Dave

Man Dave, you sure like the letter K
I just sold off all my other stocks to get KONE. I had lots of different ones.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Just for that, sixpackshaker shall be represented by Tempur-pedic.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ok, follow me on this one: Bubble181 has an owl for an avatar and thus reminded me of the owl from the tootsie pop commercials. He is now represented by Tootsie Roll.
Neat! I invested in BBL to represent myself :)

MindDetective

MindDetective

Neat! I invested in BBL to represent myself :)
Yeah, I'm staying away from equities and funds for the most part.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, this is all you guys. I never really did anything with Halbucks originally and don't see myself getting involved with them, now. Honestly, I don't even get the idea of the stock market thing.

Dave

Dave

Eh, this is all you guys. I never really did anything with Halbucks originally and don't see myself getting involved with them, now. Honestly, I don't even get the idea of the stock market thing.
Oh shit. Now Stieny is gonna be hounding you for your precious HB.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Oh shit. Now Stieny is gonna be hounding you for your precious HB.

Give them to Frank so he can buy more THQ lol.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was like you, but on a lark, I tried some investments.

Now I'm addicted to watching the little bars go up and down.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*flick*
*holds a lighter threateningly over his stack of Halbucks*

First one to beg and the whole thing goes up in flames.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

*flick*
*holds a lighter threateningly over his stack of Halbucks*

First one to beg and the whole thing goes up in flames.
An investment in Poe is an investment in awesome.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'd kinda like to see that...[DOUBLEPOST=1354911568][/DOUBLEPOST]Apparently I'm about to!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Nick, could I convince you to make a donation to the Chad Sexington Needs Your Money Fund? You could help a Chad Sexington be sexier.

Dave

Dave

Poor Nick.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Right, that'll do it. I told you. I'm a man of my word.

You see, I'm a guy of simple tastes. I enjoy comic books, yoga, and references to superhero related media.

*covers the Halbucks with gasoline*
*someone tries to stop me*

At-ta-ta-ta!

And you know they have in common? They're...well, okay, one of them is not cheap, but they're all my thing whereas money and business and all that stuff? Meh.

*lights that bitch on fire*

All you care about is Halbucks. This forum deserves a better class of poster. And I'm going to give it to you.

Tell your mods they work for me, now. This is my forum.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

NO MY FUTURE SEXINESS

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

You're already back up to 50 halbucks... ;)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I dumped all my nick stock before he burnt it. Made a tidy profit.

Dave

Dave

I dumped all my nick stock before he burnt it. Made a tidy profit.
I did the same with my KONE stock. Crossing my fingers that it was a good move and not an act of utter lunacy.

TommiR

TommiR

Hmm... what if, and I'm just spitballing here, someone were to auction off their HalBucks in exchange for positive ratings?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hmm... what if, and I'm just spitballing here, someone were to auction off their HalBucks in exchange for positive ratings?
I will chase you around the forum with brofists.

BErt

Foolproof new portfolio

dis.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

Right, that'll do it. I told you. I'm a man of my word.

You see, I'm a guy of simple tastes. I enjoy comic books, yoga, and references to superhero related media.

*covers the Halbucks with gasoline*
*someone tries to stop me*

At-ta-ta-ta!

And you know they have in common? They're...well, okay, one of them is not cheap, but they're all my thing whereas money and business and all that stuff? Meh.

*lights that bitch on fire*

All you care about is Halbucks. This forum deserves a better class of poster. And I'm going to give it to you.

Tell your mods they work for me, now. This is my forum.

You could've just put it all in Marvel, Fitocracy and Disney....:p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fuck. I actually recorded my AWESOME Joker laugh impression, tried uploading it twice and failed both times. Something about an extension not accepting.

So, you get this, instead, which was going to accompany the audio file:

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm kind of picturing Nick as Vin Diesel from Fast Five when he's burning the money.

Gared

Gared

Well, at least this entire stock game endeavor has taught me something about myself. Given my tendency toward gambling addiction, daytrading with real money would be a very, very bad idea for me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm kind of picturing Nick as Vin Diesel from Fast Five when he's burning the money.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Haha! Awesome!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's an ooooold pic from like...2004, I think?

TommiR

TommiR

I will chase you around the forum with brofists.
Ah, so there is a need for a capital market.

Now let's see, how do I become too big to fail...

Krisken

Krisken

Good lord, GasBandit, are you trying to lose your halbucks as well?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Good lord, GasBandit, are you trying to lose your halbucks as well?
The guns will go back up. The guns will go back up. THE GUNS WILL GO BACK UP YOU WILL SEE

Krisken

Krisken

The guns will go back up. The guns will go back up. THE GUNS WILL GO BACK UP YOU WILL SEE
I believe it. People are nuts. I was surprised to see Google's drop as well, though.

Edit: Now that I look at it, it appears almost all tech industry stocks went down.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Apparently I misread the smith & wesson earnings report yesterday that said they were making money hand over fist and had worked through a lot of their backlog. That sounded like good news to me. Of course, everybody else on wallstreet interpreted "shrinking backlog" as the bottom falling out of demand for their products. I guess we'll see if this is just a correction, or the big post-election peak.

Krisken

Krisken

Apparently I misread the smith & wesson earnings report yesterday that said they were making money hand over fist and had worked through a lot of their backlog. That sounded like good news to me. Of course, everybody else on wallstreet interpreted "shrinking backlog" as the bottom falling out of demand for their products. I guess we'll see if this is just a correction, or the big post-election peak.
Don't worry big guy, I'm sure some asshole will shoot somebody perceived as important by the American people and gun sales will go up again soon.

Edit: As a side note, I decided to put all my Halbucks into a local company. Should do terribly soon as they have had a fairly steady climb going for quite a while.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If we'd started this game a year ago, I'd be schooling you all >_<

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ah, so there is a need for a capital market.

Now let's see, how do I become too big to fail...
I'm not exactly sure what I've just endorsed, and I'm pretty sure one day I'll regret it, but now that I've evidenced my commitment... HALMONIES

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Edit: Now that I look at it, it appears almost all tech industry stocks went down.
Not Logitech. :troll:

My strategy was to pick a company the makes a product that is always in demand and always needs upgrading. The products also had to be fairly cheap but high quality. As such, I picked Logitech, makers of headsets, mice, keyboards, and all manner of computer accessories. People always need those items and they are always, always breaking them.

BErt

People always need those items and they are always, always breaking them.
Now if you just invest in hammers you can pull 100% profit from Yoshi

Krisken

Krisken

Not Logitech. :troll:

My strategy was to pick a company the makes a product that is always in demand and always needs upgrading. The products also had to be fairly cheap but high quality. As such, I picked Logitech, makers of headsets, mice, keyboards, and all manner of computer accessories. People always need those items and they are always, always breaking them.
An exception, no doubt. Dell, Apple, and Google are all down. I did notice HP is up again, though.

TommiR

TommiR

I'm not exactly sure what I've just endorsed, and I'm pretty sure one day I'll regret it, but now that I've evidenced my commitment... HALMONIES
Well, I had in mind to hold an auction, but you're certainly making an impact, so... enjoy the 5,000 HalBucks.

Meanwhile, I'll be happily occupied in consuming your soul.

jwhouk

jwhouk

First day in, lose $34.61. (shrug)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Well, I had in mind to hold an auction, but you're certainly making an impact, so... enjoy the 5.000 HalBucks.

Meanwhile, I'll be happily occupied in consuming your soul.
You and me are going to be friends. (Also this latest brofist is legitimate.)

Krisken

Krisken

First day in, lose $34.61. (shrug)
Yeah, I lost about that much too. Decided Dell wasn't what I wanted and switched to Johnson Controls.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oooh, Johnson Controls. Forgot about them.

Krisken

Krisken

Oooh, Johnson Controls. Forgot about them.
My father-in-law works there, so it was hard to forget them :)

Dave

Dave

I thought it was hard to control a johnson.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Only Johnson-In-Laws. That's why I hate a certain former owner of the Nashville Predators.

Krisken

Krisken

I thought it was hard to control a johnson.
Women do it all the time.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Women do it all the time.
Ha! My johnson is my own!

... no woman wants it. :(

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

If we'd started this game a year ago, I'd be schooling you all >_<
And if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass everytime they jumped :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Also, my best performer so far is, strangely, Manchester United. Which proves it's better to invest in twenty two guys kicking a ball around than it is to invest in guns, food, technology etc.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Fuck. I actually recorded my AWESOME Joker laugh impression, tried uploading it twice and failed both times. Something about an extension not accepting.

So, you get this, instead, which was going to accompany the audio file:

Actually, you kinda look like Wreck-It Ralph.

I can respect that.

Calleja

Calleja

I didn't think I'd see TNG's vinegar strokes. Can't unsee.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Yeah, my tech stuff took a big hit. We'll see what happens next week, but I suspect there will be a bit of a bounce back up. Tech is not one of those things that stays in free-fall unless something happens.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Think some of it is people concerned that Apple moving some of its build business back to the US is a sign of a mass exodus from China?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Think some of it is people concerned that Apple moving some of its build business back to the US is a sign of a mass exodus from China?
I wouldn't be surprised. Foxconn may have saved them money, but it's cost them a ton in good will and kinda sullied their name. It's also becoming rapidly apparent that China can't maintain it's current wage scheme much longer.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Guess my inabiliy to buy stock in Foxconn was a lucky break.

Dave

Dave

Just got this email from the dev:

7 New Countries have been added along with 4 new system currencies (Canadian Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Australian Dollar and New Zealand Dollar).

Canada - Toronto Stock Exchange

Australia - Australian Stock Exchange

New Zealand - New Zealand Stock Exchange

Norway - Oslo Stock Exchange

France - Paris Stock Exchange, Euronext

Austria - Vienna Stock Exchange

Netherlands - Amsterdam Stock Exchange

I've been testing all weekend and so far I've not run into any "glitches". Everything is converting properly currency wise. The only issue that I've noticed is that with the addition of 4 new currencies, the updating of the exchanges rates is SLOW and there is nothing that I can do to speed it up because the slowness is on the Data retrieval side of things.. The cron takes between 20-30 seconds to run now compared to about 10-15 with only the 3. If you are like me and have CRON set to update currencies every 15 minutes, there are going to be users that activate the cron and its going to give them a slow render time on their browser (up to 30 seconds). If you have your CRON set to check at much greater intervals, this shouldn't be that big of a deal tho.
I don't think we'll see any issues as we deal solely in USD, but that could be what the issue is. Still no Japanese markets, but those are coming.

I will put these new markets in as soon as the update is released.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yes! BRING ME THE CANADIANA

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just got this email from the dev:

I don't think we'll see any issues as we deal solely in USD, but that could be what the issue is. Still no Japanese markets, but those are coming.

I will put these new markets in as soon as the update is released.
This is my Jay face :mad:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Fekkin' Norwegians stealing our thunder...

evilmike

evilmike

NOT SAYING IT'S ALIENS.
BUT IT'S ALIENS.

Dave

Dave

Sorry about that, Poe. I forgot to remove formatting after I pasted.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This is my Jay face :mad:
It looks like everyone else's Jay face...

My god, are we truly all actually alts of JCM?

strawman

strawman

Adam HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT DNI?!?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I smell insider trading. :p

Dave

Dave

Adam HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT DNI?!?
I know, right? Holy shit!

Adam

Adam

hugs and kisses everyone :)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Lucky son of a female buried in a Y-shaped coffin... :p

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I am in the green! Hallelujah.

Dave

Dave

Lucky son of a female buried in a Y-shaped coffin... :p
That is the weirdest compliment I've ever heard. Must be a problem in the translation.

Adam

Adam

At the risk of being self-aggrandizing, it would be nice to have a "Initial Investment At Beginning" to compare current totals to.

Not for any particular reason or anything :D

MindDetective

MindDetective

I am in the green! Hallelujah.
Me too!

Gared

Gared

Damn you Asknet! I ask one thing of you, after all I did for 2+ years, and this is how you repay me?!

Adam

Adam

Have now passed Frank for worst portfolio! woooooo. Gonna buy me some THQ to build it back up!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Damn you Google!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Have now passed Frank for worst portfolio! woooooo. Gonna buy me some THQ to build it back up!

Buy more THQ than Frank so you can override his new corporate policies! :D

Gared

Gared

Also, apparently my understanding of things which would cause the market to move in one direction or another is a little off. I dropped my Boeing and Alcoa stock when SPEEA (their engineering union) announced that a strike was likely. What are both stocks doing today? They're climbing.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Buy more THQ than Frank so you can override his new corporate policies! :D
The Battle for the Future of THQ Begins Now![DOUBLEPOST=1355164809][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, apparently my understanding of things which would cause the market to move in one direction or another is a little off. I dropped my Boeing and Alcoa stock when SPEEA (their engineering union) announced that a strike was likely. What are both stocks doing today? They're climbing.
That one seems a bit odd. If strikes always raised stock prices, Republicans would love unions.

Gared

Gared

Who knows. Maybe the rest of the market knows something I don't, like the federal mediation is going well, or the strike is looking less likely.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Who knows. Maybe the rest of the market knows something I don't, like the federal mediation is going well, or the strike is looking less likely.

As someone who has both lost and gained plenty in the real stock market let me leave you with this little gem.

The market rarely behaves according to logic.

Gared

Gared

As someone who has both lost and gained plenty in the real stock market let me leave you with this little gem.

The market rarely behaves according to logic.
No lie. Though, I do still love the story one of my former bosses told us all at lunch one day. He runs a (very small) software company, and most of his programmers are Russians. He had a prospective new employee over from Russia one day and they were talking about the market, and the Russian guy said "I don't know how you guys have so much trouble making money in your stock market. It's very simple, really. You buy when the price is low, and sell when it's high. Any idiot can figure that out."

Adam

Adam

Couple factors could increase stock prices:

1. Because it's not the front end striking, day to day operations shouldn't be too impacted, however salary costs for that group drop to 0. Net income increases as a result.
2. Stock market factors into the price all expected activities over the course of the year. Knowing that labour relations were poor, the market would have priced in a discount on stock ahead of time. Knowing for certain that there's going to be a strike removes a lot of trepidation about the outcomes from the strike; and the market hates uncertainty more than bad news.

Gared

Gared

Also, I really need to start waking up earlier. I keep finding that a lot of the big mover stocks have done most of their movement by the time I wake up, and I'm left trying to milk the last precious moments out of a stock before it starts to drop off again.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Goddammit, Apple and Pacific Etanol!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Does anyone know the cheatcode for infinite money?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I don't know if I've said it before... but Apple has nowhere to go but down.[DOUBLEPOST=1355171895][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Frank... you're THQ is rallying man! lol

Gared

Gared

That depends. If you're looking for real world money, the code is "#@#@IISBUFFETT". If you're looking for Halbucks, the code is "#@#@IISYOSHI"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't know if I've said it before... but Apple has nowhere to go but down.[DOUBLEPOST=1355171895][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Frank... you're THQ is rallying man! lol
Yeah, this was basically assured when Steve jobs died.

Dave

Dave

Either

A->A->B->DOWN->BLOWDAVE

or

UP -> LEFT TRIGGER -> LEFT TRIGGER -> DOWN -> Y -> Y -> GIVE DAVE REAL MONEY

Adam

Adam

Give me until Wednesday! I'll show you infinite money!

Dave

Dave

Give me until Wednesday! I'll show you infinite money!
More insider trading, Adam? You're a bad, bad man.

Adam

Adam

More insider trading, Adam? You're a bad, bad man.
Playing the long odds man! I tripled my money today; let's see if I can do it again.

Krisken

Krisken

(looks at the profiles, is really confused) You tripled your money today?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Playing the long odds man! I tripled my money today; let's see if I can do it again.
Teach me your ways, Adam-san

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

His net worth more than doubled this morning.

Krisken

Krisken

I see.

strawman

strawman

When you sell a stock you keep the money, but you lose the score that stock gave you, so you drop in leaderboard rankings.

Since he sold it, there is no record of the gain.

Adam

Adam

I guess we just presume that everyone started with $5000.

Krisken

Krisken

I see. Don't look at the gain/loss, look at what the person is at today after they made their sales (if any apply).

Adam

Adam

I see. Don't look at the gain/loss, look at what the person is at today after they made their sales (if any apply).
And then add 5% for the gouging trade provider.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I started with around 8000. I've sold off my worst losers and show in the green, but my money goes up mostly because of my messageboard posts... not my skill at picking stocks.

Krisken

Krisken

Wait, you add 5%? Shouldn't they be taking that out instead?[DOUBLEPOST=1355178829][/DOUBLEPOST]
I started with around 8000. I've sold off my worst losers and show in the green, but my money goes up mostly because of my messageboard posts... not my skill at picking stocks.
Me too. I've made a hell of a lot more from posting than I have from any stocks.

Adam

Adam

Wait, you add 5%? Shouldn't they be taking that out instead?[DOUBLEPOST=1355178829][/DOUBLEPOST]
Me too. I've made a hell of a lot more from posting than I have from any stocks.
They do take it out, but if you wanted to see gross stock earnings, you'd add it back. That's what I meant.

Krisken

Krisken

They do take it out, but if you wanted to see gross stock earnings, you'd add it back. That's what I meant.
Ok. That makes more sense.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I guess we just presume that everyone started with $5000.

I think it would have made more sense to give everyone $5000 and then disable other ways of getting money other than the stock market (including people transferring halbucks). Then the porfolio's would make a lot more sense. As it stands... it's pretty hodgepodge as to what people have been doing. Still fun though.

Dave

Dave

It's designed so you can take chances and lose money without having to worry about it. If you post you get more dough. So it also encourages participation.

Krisken

Krisken

I participated!

Adam

Adam

I think it would have made more sense to give everyone $5000 and then disable other ways of getting money other than the stock market (including people transferring halbucks). Then the porfolio's would make a lot more sense. As it stands... it's pretty hodgepodge as to what people have been doing. Still fun though.
If there was a way to see net gains since the beginning of time, that would eliminate a lot of the hodgepodgeyness while still allowing for income from other sources to engender participation.

Dave

Dave

If there was a way to see net gains since the beginning of time, that would eliminate a lot of the hodgepodgeyness while still allowing for income from other sources to engender participation.
Well...Everyone started at $5000. What else would you like to know? How much was made on the stock market alone?

Adam

Adam

Well...Everyone started at $5000. What else would you like to know? How much was made on the stock market alone?
Yeah, I think that would be a nice to know. If we went purely by income from posts, Yoshi would be the richest person here.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think past posts weren't taken into consideration, only posts starting from the founding of the stock exchange.

I also recall something about likes giving Halbucks, but that seems to have been taken out... I think.

Adam

Adam

I'm only bitching for my sake. As it is now, I'm at the bottom of the trading list simply because I lost a shit ton of money today on one big trade, versus the shit ton of money I made this morning which was much more significant. Being worse than Frank hurts me. It hurts me deep.

Dave

Dave

I reset everyone at 5000 HB. Past posts don't mean anything, nor does it mean anything if you had billions before.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, an overall account would be more helpful in determining what people actually made as opposed to just the last trade.

Dave

Dave

I'll talk to the devs.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I reset everyone at 5000 HB. Past posts don't mean anything, nor does it mean anything if you had billions before.
grampa05.gif

MindDetective

MindDetective

Hereafter known as the HCGLNS tax.

Frank

Frank

I'm only bitching for my sake. As it is now, I'm at the bottom of the trading list simply because I lost a shit ton of money today on one big trade, versus the shit ton of money I made this morning which was much more significant. Being worse than Frank hurts me. It hurts me deep.
Relic is based in BC and as per my new directive, all BC based THQ employees will now be reassigned as people who's only goal is to follow Adam around and tell people that according to Halforums Stock Trader, he's doing worse than their boss, the lovely Frank.

Adam

Adam

Relic is based in BC and as per my new directive, all BC based THQ employees will now be reassigned as people who's only goal is to follow Adam around and tell people that according to Halforums Stock Trader, he's doing worse than their boss, the lovely Frank.
By my math, you hold 5932 shares with 6.86 million shares of THQI outstanding at $1.29 per share. I currently hold 438 shares for a net difference of 5494 shares. 5494 shares times $1.29 per share = $7097.26.

$7097.26 to fire Frank. Current net worth: $17,529

Just saying.

Frank

Frank

Under my leadership, THQ stock is boooming. Firing me for vindictive reasons would be a mistake.

Adam

Adam

Under my leadership, THQ stock is boooming. Firing me for vindictive reasons would be a mistake.
Your logic is solid. No performance development plan required....for now.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Question for the more knowledgeable in this area:

So I jumped in on CASY right before trading ended last night because they were going to be announcing their earnings after the close, which came in above estimates. So, predictably, the stick price is rising this morning.

How do you estimate when enough is enough and get out before the re-correction? I'm sure that actual market-folk don't entirely guess.

Dave

Dave

Question for the more knowledgeable in this area:

So I jumped in on CASY right before trading ended last night because they were going to be announcing their earnings after the close, which came in above estimates. So, predictably, the stick price is rising this morning.

How do you estimate when enough is enough and get out before the re-correction? I'm sure that actual market-folk don't entirely guess.
Most of the time they have estimates as to when things are going to correct and set up automatic triggers to sell when the stock hits that price. Also, if the stock fails to hit that price they have triggers that say, "If it falls X amount from a peak then sell."

You'd be amazed at how much of this is automated now and slanted towards the companies who get realtime quotes. Their computers can make millions of microtransactions in the time it takes us to physically look through stuff. By the time we realize a stock has gone up, these places have already bought/sold millions and made a shit-ton of money.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Most of the time they have estimates as to when things are going to correct and set up automatic triggers to sell when the stock hits that price. Also, if the stock fails to hit that price they have triggers that say, "If it falls X amount from a peak then sell."

You'd be amazed at how much of this is automated now and slanted towards the companies who get realtime quotes. Their computers can make millions of microtransactions in the time it takes us to physically look through stuff. By the time we realize a stock has gone up, these places have already bought/sold millions and made a shit-ton of money.
No, I get that part (I used to work P&L for a commodities trading company that did arbitrage between international commodities markets), but how do they make those stock estimates in the first place? What do they look at?

GasBandit

GasBandit

My father, when he was trying to play the stock market, obsessed over trend lines - lines of support and lines of resistance. Basically, he held a ruler up to their peaks and valleys over time (not over the course of a day, of course, this was over the course of days, weeks maybe). His rule was, if a stock breaks the line of resistance formed by connecting the dots of its previous peaks, buy. If it "bounces" against a discernable ceiling-line of resistance 3 times, or plummets through the line of support made by connecting its troughs, sell. He claimed it may not have made the most money possible, but in exchange he usually missed out on the BIG tanks/troughs.

I can't quote figures or anything, because it was a long time ago and I was only vaguely interested, but he seemed to do ok I guess. Not quit-your-job money, but better interest than a bank, I suppose.

Just Me

Just Me

Better late than never.
I habe no idea what I'm doing and just used names that came to my mind or I found on Google on a moments spur...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Did something just get reset? The market totals for everyone are zeroed out (though I think everyone still has their investments; I still do, I'm just afraid to sell anything).

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Did something just get reset? The market totals for everyone are zeroed out (though I think everyone still has their investments; I still do, I'm just afraid to sell anything).
OH GOD I'M RUINED!

*jumps out window*
*jumps back in window*

This building only has one floor.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe Dave shouldn't have installed the GRTMRKTCRSH.1929 add-on.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is like the great depression x A THOUSAND

Dave

Dave

I was in a meeting! I didn't touch anything!

Gared

Gared

Those bastards! Now how will I know how much fake money I'm worth? And why did this have to happen on a day when I was finally doing well on almost all of my stocks?

Oh, and strangely, I cannot get to Bloomberg.com either; though the addon seems to rely on Yahoo! Finance for its quotes, so I don't know that the two are related in any way.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm too big to fail. The Daverment has to bail me out! I need a $500 000 000 000 cash injection now

Gared

Gared

And it's back to normal, for me at least. Though I'm not sure that the foreign exchanges are really working the way they're supposed to. I bought 100 shares of asknet (A5A), a German stock, and the price it showed on our market app was 1.69 a share, but the price showing on MSN Finance is 1.30 a share. Not sure what currency MSN Finance is using for that stock, though.

Dave

Dave

According to the dev there's an issue with some of the German stocks which is causing this.[DOUBLEPOST=1355254370][/DOUBLEPOST]And fixed.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Mm, no I'm pretty sure I had $54 000 000? Yeah.

Yeah.

Yeeeeeeeeah.

Dave

Dave

Spoke with the dev. Historical data is coming soon. And by historical data I mean "X shares bought at $X, X shares sold at $X for a profit/loss of $X."

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Goddammit, Apple.

Gared

Gared

Noooooooo! Not my John Deere stock!

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, it's amazing what happens when you buy a bit of MSFT.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know, it's amazing what happens when you buy a bit of MSFT.
In the short term, perhaps. They've been trending down all year.

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that MSFT will continue to do well. Especially not as it seems that they left a rather key bit of functionality out of Windows 8... namely the ability to enter recovery mode on boot (that oh so helpful screen where you can choose to either reboot normally or go into safe mode). The community is still researching to see if they can find a way to get to that screen, but in the meantime all we've managed to get out of the devs/support team is a way to shut down various bits of the OS to clear up conflicts from within the OS, once you've successfully logged in - but no way to fix a problem if you can't log in in the first place.

Gusto

Gusto

Oh hey good day for me.

strawman

strawman

Goddammit, Apple.
I thought about buying them this morning. I just don't see them going up anytime soon. They released the iPhone, and two iPads this fall, and there's nothing on the horizon until next summer. Even then it will be, at best, refreshes of the current line, not anything particularly new or interesting.

Further, most analysts saw the iPad mini as a capitulation on apples part. Admitting that they were losing significant business to android. It would be fine if the mini was competitive, but it wasn't. It is _only_ useful for those already dedicated to the apple ecosystem, or those who care about branding, which is not the majority of the market.

Apple doesn't deserve to do well.

However, I think everyone is watching it like a hawk, knowing that it will go back up, and hoping to buy low, then sell next summ as it rises around WWDC.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that MSFT will continue to do well. Especially not as it seems that they left a rather key bit of functionality out of Windows 8... namely the ability to enter recovery mode on boot (that oh so helpful screen where you can choose to either reboot normally or go into safe mode). The community is still researching to see if they can find a way to get to that screen, but in the meantime all we've managed to get out of the devs/support team is a way to shut down various bits of the OS to clear up conflicts from within the OS, once you've successfully logged in - but no way to fix a problem if you can't log in in the first place.
I really don't see Microsoft doing well until they ether make some drastic changes to Win 8 or they force people to go to Win 8 when they stop Win 7 support. It's just not a good operating system.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Windows 7 is great... why the hell would I want to switch?

Gared

Gared

I really don't see Microsoft doing well until they ether make some drastic changes to Win 8 or they force people to go to Win 8 when they stop Win 7 support. It's just not a good operating system.
If Windows 8 had only been released for mobile/touchscreen devices, I think they'd've been fine. As an OS for a traditional desktop or laptop computer, I have no fuckin' clue what the hell the Windows division was thinking. This could easily turn out to be as much of a snafu (if not more) as WinMe and Vista.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well that IS the rule: Every other Microsoft operating system sucks.

Windows 2000? Great.
WinME? Crap.
Windows XP? Great.
Vista? Shit.
Win 7? Great.

Therefore Windows 8 is crap.

Gared

Gared

Well that IS the rule: Every other Microsoft operating system sucks.

Windows 2000? Great.
WinME? Crap.
Windows XP? Great.
Vista? Shit.
Win 7? Great.

Therefore Windows 8 is crap.
Ahh, yes... but not just any old crap will do. They had to go for poorly thought out, poorly designed, and extremely poorly supported crap. The cream of the crap, if you will.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's Crap-TASTIC.

Adam

Adam

I have now lost more than everyone else combined. Until tomorrow.

I hope.

Far

Far

I bought microsoft now because I assume they are going to announce the new xbox eventually and then I'll probably dump them since that's the only "good" thing I see them coming out with anytime soon.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I bought Microsoft on the first day. It hasn't been a terrible choice so far. I'm hoping the positive buzz about their mobile OS keeps them from taking too much of a dive.

Far

Far

Should have clarified, when I said now I meant day 1 as well.

Gared

Gared

New Xbox has already been announced, though no major details about it yet. Due for release late 2013.

Far

Far

No details though, no name. We know about it because video games are our interests, but until it at least has a marketable name and commercials, most people won't have a clue about it, which is when I expect the stock to jump up. I imagine around E3 it will take off and then go back down until it can be released.

Again, I have very little idea about what I'm doing with these things. Just messing around.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Top portfolios on the forum front page is also slightly borked. Apparently it wiped everyone's progress off of there. Right now I'm top earner just because I bought some stocks, so it looks like my portfolio grew.

Not a major deal though.

Krisken

Krisken

Top portfolios on the forum front page is also slightly borked. Apparently it wiped everyone's progress off of there. Right now I'm top earner just because I bought some stocks, so it looks like my portfolio grew.

Not a major deal though.
Wow, that is weird. I feel like king of the world right now.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

ALL OF MY MONEY IS GONE AGAIN. Unrelated: I still want hundreds of billions.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Seriously though all my fake money is gone and I'm having an existential crisis.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Seriously though all my fake money is gone and I'm having an existential crisis.
*had $11k this afternoon*
Let's see how those stocks are do-
*net worth $600*
I'M RUINED AGAIN!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ravenpoe A stirring narrative. I hereby name you my official biographer.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm not great at this, but wow, you guys are having a rough time of it.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm not great at this, but wow, you guys are having a rough time of it.
You're also at no money, mate.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh, so it screwed us. And here I was feeling pretty good about how I was doing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Thanks a lot Obama!

Krisken

Krisken

Obama stealing our Halbucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1355292047][/DOUBLEPOST]I think I'll wait until this thing becomes more stable before I start playing. It's annoying watching my investments make gains for 3 days and then watching it wiped out for reasons not tied to the market.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Aw yeah my money is baaaaaaaaack. Happy days are here again.[DOUBLEPOST=1355292121][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaaaand it's gone.[DOUBLEPOST=1355292175][/DOUBLEPOST]Seems like if I post, my investments go to zero as my cash-on-hand rises. So that's, uhm, oh yeah, bullshit. The money reappears if I buy stocks.

Krisken

Krisken

DAAAAAAAVVVEEEEE!!!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Huh, stock trader says my net worth is zero, when previously I had over 8000 halbucks invested.

This must be what the great crash of '29 felt like.

Dave

Dave

Your stuff is still there. There's a single German stock gumming up the works that's causing shit to fail. The issue is on Yahoo's side.

But to the person who is carrying the stock "216006", if you sold it off I'd be willing to bet it will work again.

Just Me

Just Me

But to the person who is carrying the stock "216006", if you sold it off I'd be willing to bet it will work again.
Ok, I got rid of Mercedes Benz and got me some Daimler instead, let's go on! :)

Dave

Dave

We may have to disable the German market for a bit.

strawman

strawman

Oh man, Just Me, Daimler's going to hurt you.[DOUBLEPOST=1355319329][/DOUBLEPOST]But...but...but! The german samsung is my herooooooooooo!

Ah well. I have to pick some new stocks anyway.

Just Me

Just Me

We may have to disable the German market for a bit.
I'll get rid of the stuff soon, no problem!

And don't worry stienman, it won't hurt me for long; see above. :)
And if it hurts it gets sold and replaced with some other spur-of-the-moment decision...!

Dave

Dave

It went from one to another for the errors. So I'm not sure if it's just one or two offending or several.

This time it's A0ERYQ.DE. Whatever that is.

Just Me

Just Me

It went from one to another for the errors. So I'm not sure if it's just one or two offending or several.

This time it's A0ERYQ.DE. Whatever that is.
Whatever that is, yes. Nothing more from me. :)

I just got rid of everything .DE, .F, .MU etc., lots of green numbers those had been. Let's hope it goes on a bit better now.

Adam

Adam

:)

Dave

Dave

Yeah, apparently the German stock API changed and it's causing issues. The dev is on the case.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Actually, I'm still bugged, and the only things I have are in NASDAQ or NYSE.

Adam

Adam

Humblebrag: check out my portfolio ;)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Stocktrader says you have 1,080 HB.

Dave

Dave

Stuff is all messed up. I found the other stock and sold it (sorry, SpecialKO ), but now the system is telling me APPL is bad. APPL? THAT'S APPLE!!! So yeah, something isn't right. I have a note in to the devs and expect to hear back soon. I think we stress tested this thing a bit more than they did. Like they didn't know about the 200 stock limit.

But I paid for this so I'm bugging them until it works.

Adam

Adam

Gamble paid off:

wootstocks.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, all hail our new overlord Adam, I guess.

Dave

Dave

The fuck?!?

GasBandit

GasBandit

And in a confusing and frightening turn of events, Frank has the top portfolio this morning, yes, still entirely consisting of THQ.

Ok, I'm convinced. Capitalism is a fraud. :p

Hylian

Hylian

So far SanDisk Corporati (SNDK) has been a huge lifesaver for me. It is pretty much the only thing really keeping me afloat right now.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

*Looks up VISN*

Oh, you clever bastard.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, imagine if Adam did what he just did with real bucks instead of halbucks.

Somebody probably did.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Man, imagine if Adam did what he just did with real bucks instead of halbucks.

Somebody probably did.
You mean hack the system to use it in a way that it was not intended to be used?

...Yes, someone, in fact, did do that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

*Looks up VISN*

Oh, you clever bastard.
You mean hack the system to use it in a way that it was not intended to be used?

...Yes, someone, in fact, did do that.
Ok, now I looked it up too... I see what was done there. Dirty pool. Dirty, dirty pool.

Dave

Dave

What am I missing?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yeah, I'm confused. I have no idea what I did, but I will admit when I saw Adam buy up VISN, I used all my remaining money to buy it too and made a healthy $11 000 this morning. So, thanks Adam

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

VISN had their American-to-Chinese stock ratios re-calculated to stay on the NASDAQ because they were dropping below $1. So today, per reported schedule, the ratio went from 1:1 to 1:20.

In the real world, American stockholders had their stocks re-purchased back before the change of ratio. This did not happen in Halworld, though. :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hey awesome! One of my stocks went up almost fourteen perce...

*looks at Adam's stock*

*slinks away*

Dave

Dave

So he gamed the system.

Insider bitch!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

VISN had their American-to-Chinese stock ratios re-calculated to stay on the NASDAQ because they were dropping below $1. So today, per reported schedule, the ratio went from 1:1 to 1:20.

In the real world, American stockholders had their stocks re-purchased back before the change of ratio. This did not happen in Halworld, though. :p
Haha brilliant. Brilliant.

Frank

Frank

That calls for his arrest.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think we found our official Forum Madoff (new title!).

Dave

Dave

I should swoop in like the SEC and penalize his ass.

But I won't because they aren't real dollars.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You know, the devs should be paying us at this point. We're stress-testing the shit out of their add-on and finding actual holes. ;)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Cheaty McCheatertons...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

If it's any consolation, all of my money is gone again.

Adam

Adam

In the real world, I'd have a reality show and a building conglomerate with my name lit up in stars. As it is now, I simply remain Adam, Investment Haxor.

Dave

Dave

In the real world, I'd have a reality show and a building conglomerate with my name lit up in stars. As it is now, I simply remain Adam, Investment Haxor.
In the real world you'd be in jail for insider trading.

Adam

Adam

In the real world you'd be in jail for insider trading.
Insider trading implies that I have knowledge not available to the public. At best, I'd be in jail for securities fraud, but not insider trading. And even securities fraud would be a stretch because there was no actual fraud happening.

Oddly enough, in the real world I would be promoted and given a huge bonus for this. The potential fine would be litigated to death through the courts and eventually charges would be dropped and then the system would be rewritten to introduce safeguards to prevent future problems at taxpayers expense.

Yay capitalism.

strawman

strawman

So how do we find these reverse stock splits I wonder. I'm gonna be a bazillionaire.

Adam

Adam

So how do we find these reverse stock splits I wonder. I'm gonna be a bazillionaire.
Reverse stock splits are exceedingly rare and don't represent a high level of confidence in a companies long term.

A good example of an upcoming split is:
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/fitt-...possible-merger-w-20121212-00836#.UMjN-qy_yVo

60-1 reverse split

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/upcoming-splits.aspx for Nasdaq upcoming splits. Just make sure you get the reverse ones :)

strawman

strawman

Reverse stock splits are exceedingly rare
Whatever dude.

Gared

Gared

Wow. This add-on is seriously borked.

Damnit, now I want to see the code on this thing, so I can try to figure out where the error(s) is(are).

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I really do like earnings season. :)

That said, agree with Adam that it would be nice for the add-on to be able to breakdown total worth by "earned from posts", "market value of investments", and "income from selling shares".

Dave

Dave

I really do like earnings season. :)

That said, agree with Adam that it would be nice for the add-on to be able to breakdown total worth by "earned from posts", "market value of investments", and "income from selling shares".
It's coming.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Dave the error message that I get on the Stock game is a known issue, right? I can't be the only one...

Dave

Dave

Dave the error message that I get on the Stock game is a known issue, right? I can't be the only one...
Which error message?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Server Error

number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. number_format() in NFLJ/StockTrader/Model/Stock.php at line 435
  3. NFLJ_StockTrader_Model_Stock->formatUserStockInfo() in NFLJ/StockTrader/ControllerPublic/Index.php at line 38
  4. NFLJ_StockTrader_ControllerPublic_Index->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/davidn/public_html/xenforo/index.php at line 13

Dave

Dave

What are you doing to get that error? Are you clicking on a link, putting in a stock (if so what stock?), etc.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I just click the link in the row of tabs at the top of the site. I basically cannot access the game at all right now.

Dave

Dave

Weird. I can't replicate. Is anyone else getting this?

Gared

Gared

Not I.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Is that something similar to the error I occasionally get clicking the "recent" link on the same toolbar?

Dei

Dei

I don't have that error but my info window is showing
  • Total Invested: $0.00
  • Market Value: $0.00
  • Gain: 0.00 (0.00%)
Even while still showing all of my stock info underneath...

Dave

Dave

Okay, should I turn this off until I get word from the devs?

Krisken

Krisken

Mine seems ok, though I only invested in one thing and it's losing money.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I don't have that error but my info window is showing
  • Total Invested: $0.00
  • Market Value: $0.00
  • Gain: 0.00 (0.00%)
Even while still showing all of my stock info underneath...
Try buying or selling anything. That made my stuff reappear.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, it seems just buying or selling anything fixes the display. I don't think it needs to be switched off.

Gared

Gared

Okay, should I turn this off until I get word from the devs?
I don't know about turning it off, I mean, it is just a game, we're not spending real money on this and there are no additional prizes (that I know of) to see who comes out on top after a month or anything like that, but you might consider asking for a refund from the dev if you had to pay for this app - it does seem kind of like a beta.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Maybe we could turn this into a year long competition for the prize of getting a single piece of (fake) Halforums stock?

Krisken

Krisken

Besides, WE Energies is going to see a turnaround, I just know it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Besides, WE Energies is going to see a turnaround, I just know it.
I dunno, man... it broke through its line of support back in july and hasn't broken its line of resistance since... It's fairly volatile so you might get lucky in the short term if you buy at the bottom of a trough, but... well, I wouldn't buy it.

Of course, I'm not exactly mister perfect-stock-picker-man.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm thinking more long term. Over the last 5 years it's seen a steady increase. Daily is volatile, but over the long term it has a nice slope going for it.

I'm not a short term risk taker, sadly. Never been good at that.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My main problem is that most of the companies I'd want to invest in are in the Asian markets and we don't have access to them yet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm thinking more long term. Over the last 5 years it's seen a steady increase. Daily is volatile, but over the long term it has a nice slope going for it.

I'm not a short term risk taker, sadly. Never been good at that.
Well, if we're all still posting in 5 years then, I suppose we'll see how it works out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, if we're all still posting in 5 years then, I suppose we'll see how it works out.
You laugh now but by then the Halbuck will be the international currency of choice, followed by the quatlu and gil.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wasn't laughing. I've been posting for more than 10 years. Not everybody else has (but some have, yes). Not even sure we'll still have the stock market addon then. Hell, might not even have the same messageboard software.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You laugh now but by then the Halbuck will be the international currency of choice, followed by the quatlu and gil.
Every Halbuck will be worth five British Pounds.

Dave

Dave

Should be fixed. Just updated it from the dev.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Server Error

number_format() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
number_format() in NFLJ/StockTrader/Model/Stock.php at line 563
NFLJ_StockTrader_Model_Stock->formatUserStockInfo() in NFLJ/StockTrader/ControllerPublic/Index.php at line 39
NFLJ_StockTrader_ControllerPublic_Index->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/davidn/public_html/xenforo/index.php at line 13

Dave

Dave

I know we went through this....but what again are you clicking on? I can't replicate this no matter what I do.

Krisken

Krisken

Dammit, MD, stop breaking the stock market! :D

MindDetective

MindDetective

I click on Stock Trader at the top of the screen. I am guessing there is some faulty data somewhere. Try buying the stocks I have in my portfolio? Can anyone view my portfolio?

Krisken

Krisken

I can't even see you in the 'top portfolios'.

strawman

strawman

Here's his portfolio https://www.halforums.com/stocktrader-portfolio/315/

It gives me the same error. I suspect there's a bad stock in there.

Dave

Dave

I click on Stock Trader at the top of the screen. I am guessing there is some faulty data somewhere. Try buying the stocks I have in my portfolio? Can anyone view my portfolio?
Do you remember what stocks you had? There's a bad stock API somewhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1355549786][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had to totally remove your portfolio. I gave you 10,000hb to use as you will in return.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dave: Bailin' out failing halbuisness since 2012.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Time to see his birth certificate, then... If the museum will let us, of course.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I am bad at this.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Cool, I totally figured out how to make a profit! #governmentbailout

Dave

Dave

Cool, I totally figured out how to make a profit! #governmentbailout
I just didn't know how much you had. It said you had 2,040 HB in cash but that didn't tell me how much you had invested. So I rounded up.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Yeah, I probably didn't actually make that much money. You had it pretty close, I bet.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So I decided to hop on the KONE bandwagon.

Hello, 23% drop.

My stock market skills are bad and I should feel bad.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Go to penalty box, you feel shame.

Krisken

Krisken

I bought a bunch of stocks as well. I'm not good at this game either, bhamv3.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm slowly but surely rising to the top.

Dave

Dave

So I decided to hop on the KONE bandwagon.

Hello, 23% drop.

My stock market skills are bad and I should feel bad.
I sold all of mine before it dropped. I didn't like having all my eggs in one basket.

Krisken

Krisken

Slowly learning lessons I should have known, like don't buy stocks after close and before opening. Wait for the stocks to drop after opening and then buy. Oh, and trust my instincts. I KNEW WE Energies was going to bounce back and still flaked on it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My gain/loss column adds up to 241.94, whereas my "gain" colored statistic says 88.38. Very odd.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My gain/loss column adds up to 241.94, whereas my "gain" colored statistic says 88.38. Very odd.
I had that last week, if you don't make any changes, just let it ride, it doesn't change the tabulation at the top.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I had that last week, if you don't make any changes, just let it ride, it doesn't change the tabulation at the top.
It's correct now, but it had seemed odd to me because I had just made changes (sold a loser and bought 3 more companies) and the gain went down, rather than correct.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've decided I want to purchase stocks in every single listed company. That way the movement of the overall index will be the same as my portfolio. Think of how convenient that'll be.

"I wonder how my portfolio did today. Oh the Nasdaq went up 1.3%? Well then, there we go."

GasBandit

GasBandit

So we all abused the split bug, right? Altair, amirite? :D

Unfortunately it won't let us do it again it seems. heh

Gusto

Gusto

So we all abused the split bug, right? Altair, amirite? :D

Unfortunately it won't let us do it again it seems. heh
Aw yeah buddy. I made a quick 10,000 or so Halbucks and everyone else who invested in Altair on this board made much more than that.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Like I said earlier... cheaty McCheatertons.

:p

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Like I said earlier... cheaty McCheatertons.

:p
Noooo...

I think you'll find we're rich Cheaty McCheatertons, Envy McJealous.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, Adam is a cheating bastard. Sheesh!

Hylian

Hylian

My stock options are finally starting to pay off and I am no longer in the red!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

wow a lot of y'all are cheaters

this is just like the real stock market

GasBandit

GasBandit

Adam can now buy and sell all of us AND our families. heh.

Adam

Adam

Scene: A hastily called press conference

Adam, dressed in the most audacious pimp gear available, saunters casually to the stand after a brief introduction from his assistant, Bill Gates.

"First of all, I'd like to thank you all for coming today. This press conference is being simulcast live across the globe in 307 languages including, for the first time ever, White Knight speak.

This has been a horrible year for us at Adam Inc. While we've had to let go most of our staff due to the downturn in the economy, it's our upper management who have suffered most. Our board of directors, for example, have only been able to attend 11 conferences this year held at high end resorts in the Caribbean versus their customary 12. I understand their frustration and hope to reassure those suffering under this terrible tragedy that their pleas have been heard.

It is with a happy heart that I announce the "Adam Inc Family Purchase Plan". For our Y class executives and above, we will be providing the option to buy, rent or lease a Halforums family of your very own for a full year. We believe that this benefit will provide our hardworking executives an opportunity to expand their family tax credits beyond their existing dependent network, thus resulting in a greater after tax income than previously realized.

This offer is not valid for Stienman or his brood unfortunately. Even I can't afford that amount of people. Double tax credits for taking Charlie.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

End Scene, Adam dives into vault full of gold coins.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

*yells from the back of the room*

"He's a big fat phony!!!"

Krisken

Krisken

I'm just going to be happy with my 4 cent a share increase and leave it at that.

Far

Far

Did we lower the 5% loss when selling?

Emrys

Emrys

Adam, what does your audacious pimp gear look like?

Dave

Dave

End Scene, Adam dives into vault full of gold coins.
[DOUBLEPOST=1355884329][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did we lower the 5% loss when selling?
Nope. Still 5%

Adam

Adam

Gusto

Gusto

Sewn of the corpses of only the finest pimps.