HalFitness

Trying to get this goddamn gut worked off...

After months back in the gym, I've finally ditched the excuses and started running again. Will post update in a month or so.

Trying to get this goddamn gut worked off...

After months back in the gym, I've finally ditched the excuses and started running again. Will post update in a month or so.
It would take time to get back in running shape, but when I was, I'd do the Greater Clarksburg 10K. Two laps of a 5K course. My one goal was simple. Don't get lapped by the Kenyans. I'd finish in just under an hour and not get lapped. :)

I'm currently in the process of volunteering to help with a fun run, put on by a group of police wives here. There's a half mile version, where kids run with cops, and then there's the "foot pursuit" portion, a 5k, where officers will occasionally get into foot chases behind runners at selected intervals.

It's a cop-themed zombie run, basically. I may die, because even though it's in September, that's still "FUCKOFF, HUMID" season here.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the process of volunteering to help with a fun run run, put on by a group of police wives here. There's a half mile version, where kids run with cops, and then there's the "foot pursuit" portion, a 5k, where officers will occasionally get into foot chases behind runners at selected intervals.

It's a cop-themed zombie run, basically. I may die, because even though it's in September, that's still "FUCKOFF, HUMID" season here.
I mean...it's Georgia. Isn't "FUCKOFF, HUMID!" literally every day of the year? :p

I'm currently in the process of volunteering to help with a fun run, put on by a group of police wives here. There's a half mile version, where kids run with cops, and then there's the "foot pursuit" portion, a 5k, where officers will occasionally get into foot chases behind runners at selected intervals.

Just remember to keep up with your hydration, electrolytes, and shade.

GasBandit

Staff member
Texas Seasons:
Almost Summer
Summer
Still Summer
Fallwinterspring

Still Summer is also called Football.
I always heard that joke as "Almost summer, summer, still summer, and christmas." WAR ON CHRISTMAS WHARGARBLE

But given that usually it's 70 degrees on christmas day around here, and we usually don't get the freezes until february or so, yeah, sounds right.

So, an update. I'm down to about 215 pounds. After an intensive, sweat hour of DDP Yoga tonight, the scale said 212 lbs, but I imagine that's after sweating out water weight. So, 215.

Here's some new comparison shots. First, the one I posted before, showing me at 250 lbs vs 220 lbs.

Weight Comparison Oct 31 2016 to June 12 2017.jpg

And here's two more. One from July 8, and one from tonight, July 24.

13 July 8 2017.jpg
14 July 23 2017.jpg

My wife has finally felt in good enough condition after her various surgeries to start martial arts practice. First class was last Saturday, and she really enjoyed herself. I was ashamed at how little I could actually do, compared even to when I was 70 lbs heavier. We were both sore for a couple days afterwards.

Next class, tomorrow.

Dave

Staff member
I went for a run today after work. Normally I hit the treadmill and do a couple miles but it was so nice out I thought I'd enjoy some scenery. Holy shit. Not only is it the first time I'd run in a couple weeks, but I put 10 pounds on during my vacation. And running for reals is much MUCH harder than a treadmill. Crap on a cracker. I ran the same amount of time but only about 1/2 the distance with twice the fatigue.

No more treadmill for Dave.

I went for a run today after work. Normally I hit the treadmill and do a couple miles but it was so nice out I thought I'd enjoy some scenery. Holy shit. Not only is it the first time I'd run in a couple weeks, but I put 10 pounds on during my vacation. And running for reals is much MUCH harder than a treadmill. Crap on a cracker. I ran the same amount of time but only about 1/2 the distance with twice the fatigue.

No more treadmill for Dave.
Oh yes. I notice the same thing between "riding an actual bike" and sitting on a home trainer. Wind, sun, different surfaces you have to adjust to (knees and ankles and such in your case), slight elevation changes,...

Training indoor has its advantages, especially when your body isn't used to it, but for actual training the real world still beats the gym.

Got me a fitbit to help track my carbs and exercise. The thing nags me every hour to get off my ass and move. I've been walking around the block (1/3 mile) every time it buzzes.

blood sugars are still high, but I've only just started my meds on Weds. And they're not nearly as high as my first test on Tuesday evening after McDonalds w/ Dr. Pepper (412 if you're curious...my wife was so freaked she was convinced the reader was broken). I've been trying to keep myself at around 30 carbs for every meal (though Outback Steakhouse fucked me--their french onion soup and broccoli with cheese is MUCH more carb laden than standard varieties of those foods). So my sugars have been between 212-300 for the last two days. Not ideal. But better.

Got me a fitbit to help track my carbs and exercise. The thing nags me every hour to get off my ass and move. I've been walking around the block (1/3 mile) every time it buzzes.

blood sugars are still high, but I've only just started my meds on Weds. And they're not nearly as high as my first test on Tuesday evening after McDonalds w/ Dr. Pepper (412 if you're curious...my wife was so freaked she was convinced the reader was broken). I've been trying to keep myself at around 30 carbs for every meal (though Outback Steakhouse fucked me--their french onion soup and broccoli with cheese is MUCH more carb laden than standard varieties of those foods). So my sugars have been between 212-300 for the last two days. Not ideal. But better.
Yeah, Outback is pretty awful when watching carbs, as far as that type of restaurant goes. Last time I dug into their nutrition menu, best option was a steak with grilled vegetables on the side.

Yeah, Outback is pretty awful when watching carbs, as far as that type of restaurant goes. Last time I dug into their nutrition menu, best option was a steak with grilled vegetables on the side.
I was gonna go that route, but then I thought "really, french onion soup doesn't have many carbs, and cheese doesn't either..probably 12 for the both of them combined". Boy was I wrong.

I was gonna go that route, but then I thought "really, french onion soup doesn't have many carbs, and cheese doesn't either..probably 12 for the both of them combined". Boy was I wrong.
Soups are really dangerous in general, unless homemade. Ditto with sauces, because of thickeners and cutting agents (if something has melted cheese on it, assume it's a cheese sauce).

On the bright side, this all encourages more home-cooking ;)

Soups are really dangerous in general, unless homemade. Ditto with sauces, because of thickeners and cutting agents (if something has melted cheese on it, assume it's a cheese sauce).

On the bright side, this all encourages more home-cooking ;)
Well, it was a cheese sauce, for sure. But 1tbs of cheese sauce shouldn't be 12 freaking carbs. I don't even know how I would stuff that many carbs into a homemade cheese sauce. 1tbs of pure sugar is 15 carbs. WTH.

Add another 21 for the soup. Which should run closer to 6 for a homemade french onion. Jesus

I don't have any problem with cooking for dinners. It's lunches that I'm going to have to watch out for. You know, I worked at Bennigan's (like 25 years ago)...we didn't put that much sugar in shit back then.

When I first suspected that my wife had tipped over the edge and become diabetic, I had her test her sugar with my meter, and it just said HI. That's any score over 500.

Counting carbs is a very good start, but familiarizing yourself with the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load chart and the study which spawned it can be a game changer in the struggle to maintain a healthy sugar level. The study was done by the University of Sydney, so some of the foodstuff examples are a little... Aussie focused, but it's usually pretty easy to find an American analog, and for raw foods there's little to no issue.

When I first suspected that my wife had tipped over the edge and become diabetic, I had her test her sugar with my meter, and it just said HI. That's any score over 500.

Counting carbs is a very good start, but familiarizing yourself with the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load chart and the study which spawned it can be a game changer in the struggle to maintain a healthy sugar level. The study was done by the University of Sydney, so some of the foodstuff examples are a little... Aussie focused, but it's usually pretty easy to find an American analog, and for raw foods there's little to no issue.
Yeah..that's the plan eventually. For now, the doc wants me to lower my carbs, take the meds, and exercise more to see how much that brings me down. I don't want to completely geek out on this if I don't need to--my wife already thinks I'm going a little nuts :)

Well, it was a cheese sauce, for sure. But 1tbs of cheese sauce shouldn't be 12 freaking carbs. I don't even know how I would stuff that many carbs into a homemade cheese sauce. 1tbs of pure sugar is 15 carbs. WTH.

Add another 16 for the soup. Which should run closer to 6 for a homemade french onion.

I don't have any problem with cooking for dinners. It's lunches that I'm going to have to watch out for. You know, I worked at Bennigan's (like 25 years ago)...we didn't put that much sugar in shit back then.
The standard serving size (from which their nutrition pdfs are drawn) is probably not just 1 tbsp of cheese sauce (that sounds like very little). Flour/cornstarch adds up really quick.

Might want to start packing your lunches, it makes life easier (and cheaper). Otherwise, I've found CYOA food places like Moe's and Subway to be very safe bets for variety, as you can construct several safe meals in advance and rattle them off from your notes. That avoids the issue with most restaurants where you only find 1-2 things you allow yourself to eat.