HalFitness

The standard serving size (from which their nutrition pdfs are drawn) is probably not just 1 tbsp of cheese sauce (that sounds like very little). Flour/cornstarch adds up really quick.

Might want to start packing your lunches, it makes life easier (and cheaper). Otherwise, I've found CYOA food places like Moe's and Subway to be very safe bets for variety, as you can construct several safe meals in advance and rattle them off from your notes. That avoids the issue with most restaurants where you only find 1-2 things you allow yourself to eat.
Yeah, there's a subway near me, and I can do the salad bowls (basically a sammich without bread). I already eat my subs with spicy brown mustard, and I don't care for potato chips, so there'd be almost no carbs in the meal.

And I've already found these for snacking: Amazon product

hot pork rinds... :Leyla:

Dave

Staff member
Got me a fitbit to help track my carbs and exercise. The thing nags me every hour to get off my ass and move. I've been walking around the block (1/3 mile) every time it buzzes.
Yeah, I got your notice about the fitbit. Now all I have to do is FIND mine and I can start using it again.

The standard serving size (from which their nutrition pdfs are drawn) is probably not just 1 tbsp of cheese sauce (that sounds like very little). Flour/cornstarch adds up really quick.

Might want to start packing your lunches, it makes life easier (and cheaper). Otherwise, I've found CYOA food places like Moe's and Subway to be very safe bets for variety, as you can construct several safe meals in advance and rattle them off from your notes. That avoids the issue with most restaurants where you only find 1-2 things you allow yourself to eat.
The other issue of course being that tbsp is such a horrible unit of measure to attempt to standardize. A tbsp of sugar weighs 15g, a tbsp of cornstarch weighs 12g (actually somewhere between 11 and 12, since the cannister lists 12g as the serving size by weight but only 11g of carb per serving) - how much did the tbsp of cheese sauce weigh? Ever since I started getting more into baking, these imprecise measurements - along with all of the horribly loosely defined terms in most cookbooks and recipes these days - makes me seriously consider taking @Squidleybits ' advice and writing my own cookbook.

The other issue of course being that tbsp is such a horrible unit of measure to attempt to standardize. A tbsp of sugar weighs 15g, a tbsp of cornstarch weighs 12g (actually somewhere between 11 and 12, since the cannister lists 12g as the serving size by weight but only 11g of carb per serving) - how much did the tbsp of cheese sauce weigh? Ever since I started getting more into baking, these imprecise measurements - along with all of the horribly loosely defined terms in most cookbooks and recipes these days - makes me seriously consider taking @Squidleybits ' advice and writing my own cookbook.
I hate baking recipe books that don't include by-weight. It's just asking for a beginner to have issues.

OTOH this book is excellent: Amazon product

You can probably find the USA amazon easily, but this is what came up for me.

It's a great book. 100% of the recipes we've made out of it came out great, and EVERYTHING has weight measurements. Highly recommend.

One warning: not for 100% beginners. You don't need to "know" anything in particular, but if you're not sure what the difference between a liquid and dry measure is, I'd say get something else first, then go into this. The recipes go from basic (I did NOT say beginner!) to advanced, but there are clear instructions even for the ones with "lots of technique" involved.

For example, I made this rolled cake from instructions there for @Dirona's birthday. I'd never done it before, and it worked first time:

IMG_20141104_193410.jpg
It was super-delicious.

I would have posted an image with candles and such, but they all had @Dirona in them, and she'd kill me for posting that. ;)

I'd buy it!

And I was super scared there for a second to see myself tagged in a fitness thread lol. Seeing as I'm not at all fit and am a bacon frying champion!

I hate baking recipe books that don't include by-weight. It's just asking for a beginner to have issues.

OTOH this book is excellent: Amazon product

You can probably find the USA amazon easily, but this is what came up for me.

It's a great book. 100% of the recipes we've made out of it came out great, and EVERYTHING has weight measurements. Highly recommend.

One warning: not for 100% beginners. You don't need to "know" anything in particular, but if you're not sure what the difference between a liquid and dry measure is, I'd say get something else first, then go into this. The recipes go from basic (I did NOT say beginner!) to advanced, but there are clear instructions even for the ones with "lots of technique" involved.

For example, I made this rolled cake from instructions there for @Dirona's birthday. I'd never done it before, and it worked first time:

View attachment 25211It was super-delicious.

I would have posted an image with candles and such, but they all had @Dirona in them, and she'd kill me for posting that. ;)
Baking For All Occasions is a very good book. I don't have a copy of it myself, but one of my mothers-in-law does and I've perused it on occasion. The ones I have my eyes on first, though, are a couple of professional baking textbooks that my father has copies of, but they're textbook priced instead of home cookbook priced, so they're a bit of an investment right now.

you guys are cruel :p

I've never been a great baker, so I got the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion a couple of weeks ago to help me step up my baking game.

And now, I'll probably never use it :(

you guys are cruel :p

I've never been a great baker, so I got the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion a couple of weeks ago to help me step up my baking game.

And now, I'll probably never use it :(
Smaller portions, less frequently. Make sacrifices elsewhere, or find a couple extra trips around the block, and save things you're really passionate about (or things you want to experiment with) for special occasions. Tuesday, November 27, 2014 my highest blood sugar was at 472 after getting home and having to call an ambulance on the way home due to a panic attack. I bake quite a lot really, for a diabetic. My wife is on 500mg of Metformin a day and I'm on 1,000mg; and with a little more exercise, we could probably both eliminate those needs. You can do it. You're a smart guy. You're listening to your doctor. You've started making changes. You understood the link I posted earlier, but are following your doctor's instructions (which I'm 100% in support of, btw). With amazingly few exceptions, you do not have to give up anything you like to do now - not even your mead. The American Diabetes Association "recognizes" that up to 2 alcoholic beverages per day for an adult male (or 1 to 2 for an adult female) can help reduce blood sugar spikes by interacting with the liver. That doesn't mean that you can save up all week and get plastered on the weekend.

Also, when baking a simple white bread loaf, I found that I could add up to about 100g of oat bran hot cereal (uncooked) to a 500g (flour) loaf, to boost the fiber content of the loaf, without noticeably affecting the texture of the bread beyond a "honey wheat berry" loaf from the 90s.

Smaller portions, less frequently. Make sacrifices elsewhere, or find a couple extra trips around the block, and save things you're really passionate about (or things you want to experiment with) for special occasions. Tuesday, November 27, 2014 my highest blood sugar was at 472 after getting home and having to call an ambulance on the way home due to a panic attack. I bake quite a lot really, for a diabetic. My wife is on 500mg of Metformin a day and I'm on 1,000mg; and with a little more exercise, we could probably both eliminate those needs. You can do it. You're a smart guy. You're listening to your doctor. You've started making changes. You understood the link I posted earlier, but are following your doctor's instructions (which I'm 100% in support of, btw). With amazingly few exceptions, you do not have to give up anything you like to do now - not even your mead. The American Diabetes Association "recognizes" that up to 2 alcoholic beverages per day for an adult male (or 1 to 2 for an adult female) can help reduce blood sugar spikes by interacting with the liver. That doesn't mean that you can save up all week and get plastered on the weekend.

Also, when baking a simple white bread loaf, I found that I could add up to about 100g of oat bran hot cereal (uncooked) to a 500g (flour) loaf, to boost the fiber content of the loaf, without noticeably affecting the texture of the bread beyond a "honey wheat berry" loaf from the 90s.
Yup..I agree with everything you've said. But, everything in that cookbook is soooooo carb heavy. Like 33 carbs a cookie heavy. 47 carbs a slice of bread heavy. (the book lists carb load for every recipe)..it's depressing ;)

I tested out 412 the first test I took (doc put me on 1000mg metformin). But I'm down in the low 200's (and was 198 last night..whee!) now. I'm not overly concerned with the mead. I make a ton of it, but I actually drink very infrequently. Once or twice a month. The only thing I'm giving up cold turkey is soda, and I'm working hard to eliminate artificial sweeteners (except in diet red bull...cause screw that right now..hah!).

It's actually kind of amazing how fast I went from "this unsweetened tea tastes like ass" to "this is just fine". A lot of these changes are things that my wife has been pushing me about for a while--we're both chagrined that it took a medical diagnosis for me to embrace them.

It's actually kind of amazing how fast I went from "this unsweetened tea tastes like ass" to "this is just fine". A lot of these changes are things that my wife has been pushing me about for a while--we're both chagrined that it took a medical diagnosis for me to embrace them.
I went off of soda at the beginning of the year, not for any medical reasons, but more of a "screw you, soda!" thing. So now I tear through can after can of lemon La Croix. I'd have 16oz bottles of Perrier at work. It was actually quite refreshing. Might want to ask your doctor if sparkling water is okay. Make doubly sure that flavored ones are also okay.

Picked up Zombies, Run! to spice up my walks. So far, it seems to make the walking a bit more enjoyable and go by faster. One of the voice actors sounds a lot like Claudia Black, but it's not her. But kept expecting her to say "John Chrichton" at any minute. :p

Picked up Zombies, Run! to spice up my walks. So far, it seems to make the walking a bit more enjoyable and go by faster. One of the voice actors sounds a lot like Claudia Black, but it's not her. But kept expecting her to say "John Chrichton" at any minute. :p
I love my Zombies, Run! app, it makes cardio less mind numbingly boring.

As part of my wife and my "getting healthier" changes (now that we're having the additional funds to cover healthier foods), we are switching to more water with Crystal Light flavorings - some even have caffeine in them as to try to get away from drinking soda - caffeine withdrawals are a pain, so the flavors with caffeine help. We're also not trusting the city water for drinking (as the house we are in still has iron pipes instead of copper), so we've bought a water cooler (provides hot, cold, and room temp) and fill up 5 gallon jugs for us and our pets.

Our food choices are a lot more meats/proteins and much less carbs.

We've also starting to do more of the DDP Yoga videos that we bought earlier this year.

Though with the portion sizing and other changes, I'm down about 25 pounds and my wife has dropped about 35, so adding in more exercising should help us drop the weight more.

This week's lost pound was the hardest lost pound I've had in years.

Steadily 500-1000 calories under my burn rate daily, according to fitbit.

Walking approx 5 miles a day (except the last two days..coming down with something, I think. Only getting 3 miles in).

One weeks's work: one pound lost. heh.

But I'm now officially at the lowest weight I've been at in probably over a decade: 225. I got down to 220 in 2003 when I was working TRF. If I could get down to 200, I'd be happy as a clam.

This week's lost pound was the hardest lost pound I've had in years.

Steadily 500-1000 calories under my burn rate daily, according to fitbit.

Walking approx 5 miles a day (except the last two days..coming down with something, I think. Only getting 3 miles in).

One weeks's work: one pound lost. heh.

But I'm now officially at the lowest weight I've been at in probably over a decade: 225. I got down to 220 in 2003 when I was working TRF. If I could get down to 200, I'd be happy as a clam.
Hey now, one pound/week is supposed to be the gold standard for weight loss. Slow, steady, etc. Keep in mind that one pound of fat is 3500 calories, so that means consistently being 500 cal under your burn rate every single day will only juuuuuuust hit that target.

--Patrick

I would love to find a way to get in better shape.

I'm concerned that no trainer would want me back after our consult and with everything going on, I really need a professional helping me.

Dave

Staff member
I ran 5K today. Well, partially ran, partially walked. Took me forever but I did it.

It's a lot harder running on pavement. I've been doing all my running on the treadmill and it's not even the same ballpark.

Plus I have to run off the 10 pounds I put back on when I went on vacation. You know, when I bought a shitload of people dinner and found that I can't eat rat toes...?

Vacations are a diet-ruiner. How can you not try the new stuff? I thought calories eaten outside the home zone don't count...

Down another pound. Who would've thought that the way to break my weight stalemate was to eat even fewer calories and start walking 3-5 miles a day?

I mean, really, who could've known? :rolleyes:

I've kind of plateaued around 211-213. I blame myself and my bad eating habits, like grabbing Nanimo bars almost every shift at work (free food within reason for all staff). Still, compared to last year, I'm feeling so much better about myself and how I look. It's also possible that I'm still slimming down but gaining muscle.

Recently - as in the last few days - I discovered a new tweak to my yoga and general posture. I discovered it while in a high Mountain Pose (standing with your arms stretched high). Basically, I tried reaching even higher, lifting my upper body and torso. In doing that, I realized I could work my core - especially my obliques - if I held that lifted posture. I really practiced it just now with a DDP Yoga Stand Up workout and wow. My sides on are fire, baby! Bang! I tried incorporating it into other postures. It works really well in balancing postures. Even lifting my torso like that with just one leg off the ground worked those side muscles. I've been practicing it in general, too, keeping my torso lifted while standing, walking, sitting. I notice those muscles work just by doing that, too. Funny how a little tweak like that suddenly makes a difference.

In related news, I had Mom do my measurements for the first time in almost two months. I'd let it completely slip. Anyway, here's the measurement comparison dates in inches:

July 4
Neck: 16 1/2
Shoulders: 49 1/2
Chest: 46
Bicep: 15
Forearm: 12 1/2
Waist: 43 1/2
Hip: 41 1/2
Thigh: 24
Calf: 17

August 24
Neck: 17
Shoulders: 52
Chest: 45 1/2
Bicep: 15
Forearm: 12
Waist: 41
Hip: 41
Thigh: 24
Calf: 17

Strange that I gained inches in Neck and Shoulders. But then, Shoulders has been inconsistent since neither of us can figure the exact right spot where we're suppose to wrap the measuring tape around me. My friend, a weightlifter, thinks the Neck gains are from building muscles in my Trapezius muscles.

Very happy to see big inches lost in the waist, though.

Mid-week means dry land workout.
Nothing particularly interesting, but my leg press (no squats for me, bad knees) is now up to 300lbs, so that pleases me immensely.

Down to 222. 2 pounds to go to hit the goal weight that I told my wife that I'd be "happy with" back when I was a couple pounds shy of 300.

Decided to have a cheat day, because I heard the ice cream man. Ate a choco-taco, and decided to go whole hog on the cheat day: about a dozen ritz crackers, 2 Martin's potato rolls.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the kind of carbs I used to eat, but if I were to eat more, it'd just be for spite. I feel well satisfied.

Blood sugar at 150 for this evening's test. I expected in the 200's. Woot.

Still, I don't expect to be at 222 in the morning. Heh