1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

HalFitness

Discussion in 'Health and Advice' started by BananaHands, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,106
    Yeah, there's a subway near me, and I can do the salad bowls (basically a sammich without bread). I already eat my subs with spicy brown mustard, and I don't care for potato chips, so there'd be almost no carbs in the meal.

And I've already found these for snacking:

hot pork rinds... :Leyla:

2. Dave

Dave I'm not that fucking old! Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,240
    Yeah, I got your notice about the fitbit. Now all I have to do is FIND mine and I can start using it again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB913
    The other issue of course being that tbsp is such a horrible unit of measure to attempt to standardize. A tbsp of sugar weighs 15g, a tbsp of cornstarch weighs 12g (actually somewhere between 11 and 12, since the cannister lists 12g as the serving size by weight but only 11g of carb per serving) - how much did the tbsp of cheese sauce weigh? Ever since I started getting more into baking, these imprecise measurements - along with all of the horribly loosely defined terms in most cookbooks and recipes these days - makes me seriously consider taking @Squidleybits ' advice and writing my own cookbook.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Eriol

Eriol One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,619
    I hate baking recipe books that don't include by-weight. It's just asking for a beginner to have issues.

OTOH this book is excellent:

You can probably find the USA amazon easily, but this is what came up for me.

It's a great book. 100% of the recipes we've made out of it came out great, and EVERYTHING has weight measurements. Highly recommend.

One warning: not for 100% beginners. You don't need to "know" anything in particular, but if you're not sure what the difference between a liquid and dry measure is, I'd say get something else first, then go into this. The recipes go from basic (I did NOT say beginner!) to advanced, but there are clear instructions even for the ones with "lots of technique" involved.

For example, I made this rolled cake from instructions there for @Dirona's birthday. I'd never done it before, and it worked first time:

IMG_20141104_193410.jpg It was super-delicious.

I would have posted an image with candles and such, but they all had @Dirona in them, and she'd kill me for posting that. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Squidleybits

Squidleybits Pika Pika Choo Choo!

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,056
    I'd buy it!

And I was super scared there for a second to see myself tagged in a fitness thread lol. Seeing as I'm not at all fit and am a bacon frying champion!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. drifter

drifter Porkchop Express

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB595
    Who needs water to swim?

7. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB913
    Baking For All Occasions is a very good book. I don't have a copy of it myself, but one of my mothers-in-law does and I've perused it on occasion. The ones I have my eyes on first, though, are a couple of professional baking textbooks that my father has copies of, but they're textbook priced instead of home cookbook priced, so they're a bit of an investment right now.

8. Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,106
    you guys are cruel :p

I've never been a great baker, so I got the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion a couple of weeks ago to help me step up my baking game.

And now, I'll probably never use it :(

• Hugs Hugs x 3
  9. Gared

Gared One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB913
    Smaller portions, less frequently. Make sacrifices elsewhere, or find a couple extra trips around the block, and save things you're really passionate about (or things you want to experiment with) for special occasions. Tuesday, November 27, 2014 my highest blood sugar was at 472 after getting home and having to call an ambulance on the way home due to a panic attack. I bake quite a lot really, for a diabetic. My wife is on 500mg of Metformin a day and I'm on 1,000mg; and with a little more exercise, we could probably both eliminate those needs. You can do it. You're a smart guy. You're listening to your doctor. You've started making changes. You understood the link I posted earlier, but are following your doctor's instructions (which I'm 100% in support of, btw). With amazingly few exceptions, you do not have to give up anything you like to do now - not even your mead. The American Diabetes Association "recognizes" that up to 2 alcoholic beverages per day for an adult male (or 1 to 2 for an adult female) can help reduce blood sugar spikes by interacting with the liver. That doesn't mean that you can save up all week and get plastered on the weekend.

Also, when baking a simple white bread loaf, I found that I could add up to about 100g of oat bran hot cereal (uncooked) to a 500g (flour) loaf, to boost the fiber content of the loaf, without noticeably affecting the texture of the bread beyond a "honey wheat berry" loaf from the 90s.

10. Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,106
    Yup..I agree with everything you've said. But, everything in that cookbook is soooooo carb heavy. Like 33 carbs a cookie heavy. 47 carbs a slice of bread heavy. (the book lists carb load for every recipe)..it's depressing ;)

I tested out 412 the first test I took (doc put me on 1000mg metformin). But I'm down in the low 200's (and was 198 last night..whee!) now. I'm not overly concerned with the mead. I make a ton of it, but I actually drink very infrequently. Once or twice a month. The only thing I'm giving up cold turkey is soda, and I'm working hard to eliminate artificial sweeteners (except in diet red bull...cause screw that right now..hah!).

It's actually kind of amazing how fast I went from "this unsweetened tea tastes like ass" to "this is just fine". A lot of these changes are things that my wife has been pushing me about for a while--we're both chagrined that it took a medical diagnosis for me to embrace them.

11. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Back to Back Champion

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,937
    I went off of soda at the beginning of the year, not for any medical reasons, but more of a "screw you, soda!" thing. So now I tear through can after can of lemon La Croix. I'd have 16oz bottles of Perrier at work. It was actually quite refreshing. Might want to ask your doctor if sparkling water is okay. Make doubly sure that flavored ones are also okay.

12. Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,106
    Picked up Zombies, Run! to spice up my walks. So far, it seems to make the walking a bit more enjoyable and go by faster. One of the voice actors sounds a lot like Claudia Black, but it's not her. But kept expecting her to say "John Chrichton" at any minute. :p

• I get that reference. I get that reference. x 1
  13. Dirona

Dirona go team cleric!

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB655
    I love my Zombies, Run! app, it makes cardio less mind numbingly boring.

14. Denbrought

Denbrought The Last Dancelord

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,724
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dirona

Dirona go team cleric!

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB655
    Went swimming again yesterday after work, and unlike last week didn't feel like I had lead weights wrapped around my legs.
    1km/30min
    2km/66min
    woot woot!

• Like Like x 2
  16. ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man Full Participant

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB334
    As part of my wife and my "getting healthier" changes (now that we're having the additional funds to cover healthier foods), we are switching to more water with Crystal Light flavorings - some even have caffeine in them as to try to get away from drinking soda - caffeine withdrawals are a pain, so the flavors with caffeine help. We're also not trusting the city water for drinking (as the house we are in still has iron pipes instead of copper), so we've bought a water cooler (provides hot, cold, and room temp) and fill up 5 gallon jugs for us and our pets.

Our food choices are a lot more meats/proteins and much less carbs.

We've also starting to do more of the DDP Yoga videos that we bought earlier this year.

Though with the portion sizing and other changes, I'm down about 25 pounds and my wife has dropped about 35, so adding in more exercising should help us drop the weight more.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,106
    This week's lost pound was the hardest lost pound I've had in years.

Steadily 500-1000 calories under my burn rate daily, according to fitbit.

Walking approx 5 miles a day (except the last two days..coming down with something, I think. Only getting 3 miles in).

One weeks's work: one pound lost. heh.

But I'm now officially at the lowest weight I've been at in probably over a decade: 225. I got down to 220 in 2003 when I was working TRF. If I could get down to 200, I'd be happy as a clam.

• Like Like x 2