HalFitness

So, my weight loss has stalled a bit since December. Stuck at 227. I guess I'll have to make some more lifestyle changes if I'm going to lose more.

Guess I might need to start counting calories...
Well, I plateaued at about 170 for the last several weeks. Starting today I'm using myfitnesspal to count calories, and hopefully I'll be able to resume my weight loss.

On the exercise front, I'm making pretty good progress in jogging. Previously I couldn't run for more than a minute or two without my heart climbing out of my chest (HR > 180) but now at 5.5mph I can jog for nearly half my 30 minute treadmill time. Hopefully I'll be able to inch that up and eventually jog or run for the full 30 minutes. I don't see myself running 5k's anytime soon, but it'd be nice to be able to run for extended periods of time without getting winded.

I'm just doing aerobic exercise at this point - mostly treadmill and rower. Like the cheshire cat pointed out, though, since I don't know what my goal is (other than better health) then it really doesn't matter exactly what exercise I'm doing. I don't really have a plan at the moment, I'm just going to the gym for 3-5 hours a week and burning between 400-600 calories an hour, which I hope translates, over time, into a healthier heart and better endurance overall.

Well, I plateaued at about 170 for the last several weeks. Starting today I'm using myfitnesspal to count calories, and hopefully I'll be able to resume my weight loss.

On the exercise front, I'm making pretty good progress in jogging. Previously I couldn't run for more than a minute or two without my heart climbing out of my chest (HR > 180) but now at 5.5mph I can jog for nearly half my 30 minute treadmill time. Hopefully I'll be able to inch that up and eventually jog or run for the full 30 minutes. I don't see myself running 5k's anytime soon, but it'd be nice to be able to run for extended periods of time without getting winded.

I'm just doing aerobic exercise at this point - mostly treadmill and rower. Like the cheshire cat pointed out, though, since I don't know what my goal is (other than better health) then it really doesn't matter exactly what exercise I'm doing. I don't really have a plan at the moment, I'm just going to the gym for 3-5 hours a week and burning between 400-600 calories an hour, which I hope translates, over time, into a healthier heart and better endurance overall.
I should clarify, my Like is for your exercise accomplishments, not the plateau.

I'm stuck on a plateau, too, and it sucks. :(

So I've been using the Lose It! app suggested by @Sara_2814. Obviously, it's not an exact science since I can't always scan a barcode on fresh food or find the right matching food. But even just ballpark estimates are interesting. I also like adding in my exercises to balance out the app's calorie budget.Though I'm a bit surprised an hour of hot yoga is estimated to burn only around 300 calories. I would've expected it to be more in the 500 range. Again, it's all estimates, of course, so I'm not looking at it as an exact science.

So far, I've used the app pretty consistently. Even the two times I ate out this week, I put in my meals as close as I could estimate. When I was at Sobeys last night, I couldn't help looking at the health labels. I was shocked by how many calories even the so-called "healthy" choices had.

Speaking of diet, I'm trying something for now: a low carb diet. For the foreseeable future, I'm cutting out as much bread and potato products. I'm realizing that - high or low - all foods have some calories. And of course, as Scott Pilgrim realized, "BREAD MAKES YOU FAT!?"

For me so far, the hardest thing is finding alternatives for snacking. My breakfast usually consisted of a fruit smoothie and two slices of raisin bread. Now, I'm just having smoothies (now with protein powder for extra protein/nutrients) and finding I'm still hungry. So far, I've sated that with eating more fruit. Like this morning, after coming home from yoga, I had two clementines. I'm starting a new job today and rather than plan on getting something there, I made a spinach & kale salad (including cucumber, tomato, and black beans (for protein)).

So I've been using the Lose It! app suggested by @Sara_2814. Obviously, it's not an exact science since I can't always scan a barcode on fresh food or find the right matching food. But even just ballpark estimates are interesting. I also like adding in my exercises to balance out the app's calorie budget.Though I'm a bit surprised an hour of hot yoga is estimated to burn only around 300 calories. I would've expected it to be more in the 500 range. Again, it's all estimates, of course, so I'm not looking at it as an exact science.

So far, I've used the app pretty consistently. Even the two times I ate out this week, I put in my meals as close as I could estimate. When I was at Sobeys last night, I couldn't help looking at the health labels. I was shocked by how many calories even the so-called "healthy" choices had.

Speaking of diet, I'm trying something for now: a low carb diet. For the foreseeable future, I'm cutting out as much bread and potato products. I'm realizing that - high or low - all foods have some calories. And of course, as Scott Pilgrim realized, "BREAD MAKES YOU FAT!?"

For me so far, the hardest thing is finding alternatives for snacking. My breakfast usually consisted of a fruit smoothie and two slices of raisin bread. Now, I'm just having smoothies (now with protein powder for extra protein/nutrients) and finding I'm still hungry. So far, I've sated that with eating more fruit. Like this morning, after coming home from yoga, I had two clementines. I'm starting a new job today and rather than plan on getting something there, I made a spinach & kale salad (including cucumber, tomato, and black beans (for protein)).
When I was at my old job, they let us meet with dietitians if we wanted to. They had shown me Calorie King, which worked like Lose It!, although I have no idea if it has an app now. It also helped that the dietitian gave me an exam to figure out exactly how many calories I should be getting, including lifestyle and workouts. But similar to you, I had to guestimate sometimes, but the funny thing I found is there were days I wasn't eating enough to burn the calories I was using exercising and my scale wouldn't budge because of it.

As far as breakfast goes, they had suggested eggs or oatmeal (plain, not the sugary instant) to fill me up without going heavy on the calories, and I've found that two scrambled eggs (nothing added) or 1/2 cup of oatmeal with fresh blueberries does a good job until lunch.

For snacking, nuts are good, too. And raw veggies. If I'm craving sweet, sometimes raw sugar snap peas (pods and all) work. Or herbal teas with fruit or flowers.

And yeah, counting calories gives you an education on restaurant food. Yikes!

I need to be careful with nuts. I can easily eat the equivalent of a Big Mac if I'm mindlessly noshing.
But not all calories are metabolized equally. High-fat nuts are better than carby-fat big mac combo.

they had suggested eggs or oatmeal (plain, not the sugary instant) to fill me up without going heavy on the calories, and I've found that two scrambled eggs (nothing added) or 1/2 cup of oatmeal with fresh blueberries does a good job until lunch.
Eggs + avocado + an orange makes a pretty filling breakfast for me. Also, from what I have read, if having oatmeal, it should be of the steel cut variety and not the instant or quick oat variety. Even though the quick oats may be technically a whole grain, they metabolize way faster than their steel cut brethren.

Speaking of diet, I'm trying something for now: a low carb diet. For me so far, the hardest thing is finding alternatives for snacking. My breakfast usually consisted of a fruit smoothie and two slices of raisin bread. Now, I'm just having smoothies (now with protein powder for extra protein/nutrients) and finding I'm still hungry. So far, I've sated that with eating more fruit. Like this morning, after coming home from yoga, I had two clementines. I'm starting a new job today and rather than plan on getting something there, I made a spinach & kale salad (including cucumber, tomato, and black beans (for protein)).
I think avocados, nuts, eggs, whole-fat yogurt (with no fruit/sugar), flavored tuna pouches (no mayo), and bananas are good snacks.

But not all calories are metabolized equally. High-fat nuts are better than carby-fat big mac combo.
Thermic effect from eating fats is lower than carbs; a Big Mac (which also has more protein) has less effective calories than its equivalent in, say, mixed nuts. That said, in a balanced diet the difference probably isn't worth worrying about unless you're trying to get real lean (sub 10%).

Dave

Staff member
Sugar free jello with whipped cream is surprisingly low in carbs. Get yourself some Mama Lupe's low-carb tortillas and use it in place of bread for sandwiches. Basically low carb wraps. Also, Atkins has GREAT snacks. Like chocolate squares that have net carbs of like 2 g for 3 pieces which is amazing. And you can get them at Walmart.

https://www.atkins.com/products/treats/treats/milk-chocolate-caramel-squares

One of my favorite low carb meals is mixed vegetables and chicken in alfredo sauce.

I've been wrangled into running a charity 5k. On one hand, I do need to start doing cardio again. On the other hand, running. [emoji14]

Once you've tasted good steel-cut oats, ones with actual flavor, instant/quick oats will forever taste like mere oat pudding.

--Patrick
Especially if you have toasted said oats. Yum! More work but way worth it. IMO.

I like a bit of peanut butter and a smidge of honey/molasses in mine.

I accidentally went for a 3.4 mile walk yesterday. It was beautiful outside - warm, sunny, slight breeze - and I decided it was too nice to stay inside looking at how nice it was, so I went for a walk. I didn't have a planned route and when I got to the end of my street I could turn left or right (or straight, but I didn't want it to look like I was loitering around an elementary school), so I hung a right and kept going. After a while I was getting tired, but I didn't want to go home empty handed, so I just walked to the store, bought some snacks and walked back. When I got home I was a lot more tired than I thought I should be, so I checked the mileage. 1.7 miles there, 1.7 miles back, and no stopping in the middle (I shop like a man on a mission and use self-scan as much as possible), I think I was in the store for all of about 5 minutes, and the only time I stood still was while scanning my meager shopping. And today? Today I feel great. Sure, my feet are a little tender, but overall, I feel fantastic. I think I'll go for a walk today too... probably not as long of one though.

I accidentally went for a 3.4 mile walk yesterday. It was beautiful outside - warm, sunny, slight breeze - and I decided it was too nice to stay inside looking at how nice it was, so I went for a walk. I didn't have a planned route and when I got to the end of my street I could turn left or right (or straight, but I didn't want it to look like I was loitering around an elementary school), so I hung a right and kept going. After a while I was getting tired, but I didn't want to go home empty handed, so I just walked to the store, bought some snacks and walked back. When I got home I was a lot more tired than I thought I should be, so I checked the mileage. 1.7 miles there, 1.7 miles back, and no stopping in the middle (I shop like a man on a mission and use self-scan as much as possible), I think I was in the store for all of about 5 minutes, and the only time I stood still was while scanning my meager shopping. And today? Today I feel great. Sure, my feet are a little tender, but overall, I feel fantastic. I think I'll go for a walk today too... probably not as long of one though.
I'm pretty sure there's a Robert Frost poem somewhere in this.

So, I'm going to post some progress pics again. And again, I warn that they're pictures in my underwear. Though that's really no different than pics in a pair of swim shorts, I guess. Feeling pretty discouraged as I'm not feeling or seeing any significant difference.

Also, current measurements as of today:

Neck: 17 inches
Shoulders: 51 inches
Chest: 47 inches
Bicep: 16 inches
Forearm: 13 inches
Waist: 45 inches
Hip: 42 1/2 inches
Thigh:24 1/4 inches
Calf: 17 inches

8 April 9 2017.jpg9 May 7 2017.jpg

(I don't know why tonight's front pic came out so blurry.)

Cross-posted from Facebook:

So, 30 pounds lighter as of today.

When I was 250 lbs back in October, I'd honestly almost given up. I had strong suicidal thoughts and even concrete ideas for a plan. I don't know what changed. Maybe it was the new medication for my Bi-Polar II and ADHD. Maybe it was starting to exercise again. I really don't know. But I stopped pigging out so much (because I'd given up), I cut down on my carb intake, and I did more exercise, especially yoga (and DDP Yoga! BANG!). I started using a step counter, which helped keep me in check and let me plug in other exercises. Recently, I started using a calorie counter, which helped me track my eating habits. It's helped, too.

I didn't want to post a comparison picture like this until I hit at least 220 lbs. No idea why, but that felt like a good goal. I still have a long way to go. In a few months, if I can drop another 20 lbs, I'll do another one of these.

Weight Comparison Oct 31 2016 to June 12 2017.jpg

Dave

Staff member
That's actually a pretty decent time. You ran 3.6 miles in 37.38 minutes. Extrapolate that out (37.38/3.684731) and multiply it by 3 to give you your 3 mile time. It's 30.43 minutes.

A Marine in your age bracket would have to run 3 miles in 29:00 or less. So you are less than 2 minutes off the qualifying time for a US Marine.

That's actually a pretty decent time. You ran 3.6 miles in 37.38 minutes. Extrapolate that out (37.38/3.684731) and multiply it by 3 to give you your 3 mile time. It's 30.43 minutes.

A Marine in your age bracket would have to run 3 miles in 29:00 or less. So you are less than 2 minutes off the qualifying time for a US Marine.
Holy shit, and I thought I was going pretty slow at some points.