Export thread

HalFitness

Limit: 500

BananaHands

BananaHands

Da Rules:
  1. People must enter by the dates specified in order to win a prize.
  2. Participants must post a picture and a -reasonable- goal for the end of the month.
    • This can be anything ranging from a specific number of pounds lost/gained, pants size reached, weight increase (in terms of lifting), how much distance ran... etc. etc.
  3. Feel free to post pictures for motivation! PICTURES ARE OPTIONAL.Pictures should be posted with each check-in so you can see your progress. Keep in mind, if pictures are posted:
    • NO nudity.
    • NO creeping on participant.
    • ABSOLUTELY NO insulting/poking fun at participant.
      • I understand there can be some friendly jabs between friends about posters or other ridiculous things, but come on, you know what I'm talking about.
    • You can wear whatever you want in this too. This isn't biggest loser where they throw them up there in boxers and a sports bra. Throw on a baggy t-shirt if you want, you'll still see some progress if you keep up with the photos.
  4. Keep us posted with the progress. I'm not going to ask members to post their initial weight unless they want, but be sure to show how much weight you're losing/gaining/etc.
  5. No lying.
  6. Seriously.
    • It's only hurting yourself here.
    • And you're literally just winning something I pick up from a dollar store or walmart or something silly.
  7. At the end of the month, me and two other judges will decide who gets the prize!
So, let's get this rolling! Feel free to throw any criticisms, amendments and whatever else at the rules.​

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I may have to get in on this...

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Yes please!

Join us Azurephoenix!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Alright, I'll officially enter then...

My main goals are to be able to do 10 widegrip pullups in one set, 20 normal pullups in one set, 80 pushups in 2 minutes and 90 situps in 2 minutes. (I shamelessly lifted the pushups and situps from Docseverin... because they seemed badass).

Secondary goal is to hold a plank position or V-sit stabilizer for more than 3 minutes.

Tertiary goal is to look totally awesome.

Current capabilities (as of August 16th, 2012):
40 pushups max
50 situps before failure
8 pullups
0 widegrip pullups (this one is going to SUCK)

I'll have to get a picture added later though.

*Edited to update goals and add starting ranges*

BananaHands

BananaHands

I think we're going to make the pictures optional, I think a few people are turned off on the idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1344544233][/DOUBLEPOST]But if you want to upload 'em, do it! Great to see progress. You can even just throw your main FB one up there for comparison.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

That's cool... I may still do a picture just to motivate myself more. I can also prove I met my main goals with a video (provided I actually do meet them).

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm not even sure how to measure my progress...I've always just gone based on how I feel. Numbers and physical goals make me nervous.

But, my goal is to fit into size 6 pants (I'm a 10 now). I'll And to lose the extra fat in my arms.

Where do you want us to post pic's BananaHands? Cause I'm definately going to be doing picture progress. :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

I guess on Monday we can post them in here with our goals?

Gusto

Gusto

I might get in on this as well. My goal is gonna be hard to quantify since I don't expect to gain any weight or know how to measure increased attractiveness in a skinny dude...

- Be an attractive skinny dude.
- Avoid having a beer gut.

David

David

Indeed, I would love to do this, I just don't know how to quantify "not be fat."

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I do believe I'm going to sign on to this... thus far, little in the way of mutual motivation has come from anyone else here (although Lord knows, my wife TRIES... she just caves in too easily when I'm in "growly-bear-mode" first thing in the morning *sweatdrop*). I think that if were to be held accountable on HERE, I could keep this up.

With photos. The scary scary photos...

Goal? Back down to 205-200 lbs, with a 20-minute 3-mile time, and 10 pullups.

David

David

I did some weighing and benchmarking to help establish some solid goals.

As of this night (8/10/12), current:
weight: 218lbs
maximum continuous pushups: 28
maximum continuous sit-ups: 31

By the end of September, which is in 51 days, I hope to get down to at least (or at most?) 205 lbs, at least 50 pushups and 60 situps in one continuous rep. To achieve this, I'll be giving myself a calorie cap of no more than 2000 per day, will do pushups and sit-ups every MWF, and will go jogging for 30 minutes every morning on Mondays through Saturdays. I'll post pictures of myself on Monday.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'll jump in on this, though I'm cheating a little for my first post.

Top is back in May when I was ~152 pounds, below is today at ~170.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Ugh... pictures will have to wait until after work today - I took too long getting up this morning, and didn't have enough time after I did my run. *facepalm*

Weight: As of Friday, it was 244 lbs (110.7 kg) I've always been heavy for my size, but this is far too excessive.

Gusto

Gusto

Pictures forthcoming, but I weighed myself this morning and was surprised/happy to learn that I'm actually up to a healthy 158.

phil

phil

I'd like to put myself as down for this. A buddy of mine along with myself recently entered a gentlman's agreement to see whom could lose the most weight by new years. He wasn't able to make the official weigh in that's r said we'd do, due to a sudden increase in his work schedule but hopefully that'll happen soon enough.

As for this I think my goal will just be to keep my slow but steady pace of weight loss going. 1-2 lbs a week at least and keep eating right. I can post pictures of my scale as my progress report.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Let it begin!! :)

Here I am in all my glory. Unedited, un-makeup-ed, un-hairbrushed even.

As I said before, I'm hoping to drop down to a size 6 pants. I would like my thighs to not touch so much - if I had a gap, I would be so excited. I would like to tone up my arms, since they're huge, but it's all flub. But really, I just want to take these pictures and start to see a difference between newer and older photos.

Yay!

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm going to post my pictures/goals tomorrow, I have a physical in the morning anyway and can ask for a realistic weight goal.

Covar

Covar

I had a salad today. I've been hovering around the 230lbs mark (plus or minus a pound) for too long. I don't photograph well (I have the same problem as Marshall on HIMYM), so that's probably out, but otherwise I'm in. I'll figure my goal soon.

I've been using myfitnesspal.com off and on for a while now, it's got a nice interface, big food and exercise database, and mobile apps (with barcode scanner) for people. If people want we can set up a halforums group (need 3 people to start a group). My username on there is crcovar. Feel free to add me.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hey guys, I'll have to post tomorrow. My physical this morning ended up finding my heart is just as messed up as it was before the surgery, so apsfihasod;gihasdgihag.

Although it definitely throws a curveball in this HalFitness thing. I'm still in, just going to have to tweak my goals a bit.

phil

phil

Ok, so I did a benchmark test last night on the exercise bike and... I could only really hack it for 10 minutes. Weight range is around 260 to 265 (the only "scale" I have is the Wii Fit Plus board, and it's highly inaccurate). And even those 10 minutes on the bike made getting to sleep last night much easier. I was able to get to sleep at 1:30am instead of between 3:30 and 6am.

My goal is to get up to 30 minutes on the bike, 30 crunches, and 15 to 20 push ups, and to be able to get to sleep no later than midnight and preferably no later than 11pm. I'm also hoping to get the fridge cleaned out tonight so I can start packing it full of healthy ingredients and snack options; instead of pizza, soda, and ice cream, and to pick up some food storage containers so I can take leftovers to work for lunch instead of buying junk food from covenience stores for lunch. There's no way that eating a bag of Funyuns or an entire can of Pringles along with beef jerky and a candy bar is good for me.

You can get a pretty cheap digital scale at target for like 10-15 bucks. I'm not 100% how accurate mine is but I know I'm getting at least a good idea of my weight. I weigh myself in the mornings and evenings to just kind of see what my daily habits are doing for me.

For sure clean out the fridge or at least make note and start getting better stuff. I get frozen chicken that I can heat up in my skillet for about 100-200 calories per meal depending on how hungry I am. I also make my own salad instead of gettin the pre-bagged kind. It's a better value and I'm putting exactly what I like in it like olives and mushrooms and broccoli. I use a fat free Italian dressing which is only 15 calories per 2 tablespoons so even if I do go overboard on it I'm not killin myself. If you're like me you may find that it's not so much the sweetness of soda that you crave but the fizzyness. I've switched to zero calorie ones like Fresca and sprite zero and now even coke zero tastes too sweet for me. It's actually kind of a weight off my shoulder knowing that I don't really like normal soda anymore. It also makes transitioning into water during the mid day easier. I'm down about 20lbs so far mostly through diet change and I'm sure it would be more if I cut out beer completely.

Anyway sorry. What you said reminded me a lot of what I just went through these last few months. I hope this helps a little.

Edit:

Oh yeah and I'm making myself go to bed earlier. I'm trying to recognize that point in the night where I'm no longer doing anything of real value and going to bed then. Like if I'm on my 3rd episode of something on Netflix I just finish that up and go to bed even if it's like 9.

Docseverin

Docseverin

Current:
6'2"
200lbs
53 Pushups in 2 minutes
60 Situps in 2 minutes
2 Miles in 14:15

Goal
190lbs I want to have a 6 pack again,
80 pushups in 2 minutes
90 situps in 2 minutes
13:00 minute 2 miles.
I wouldn't mind a fuller more defined chest and shoulders as well

Halfit1.jpg

Halfit2.jpg

LittleSin

LittleSin

I...tihnk I want to try this.

I've bitched about my problems enough that I shuold do something.

However, what goal can a girl that doesn't gain or loose weight set?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

You could measure your success by strength instead. Forget weight.

Set a benchmark with situps/pushups or anything else you would like. Then at the end of a month see how many more you can do. I think you'll start to feel better about yourself (which I think is the best outcome of exercising, personally.) and if nothing else, I think that at least some exercise will give you more energy for your day. I know it does for me. :)

Join us LittleSin!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ah hell. Why not?

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Ok I'm not posting pictures, but my goal is to run a 5K on November 3rd. Registration isn't open yet (!!!), but when it does open I am going to sign up. I'm already on their VIP email list so I'll know as soon as it does open. Right now I'm using the other thread to keep me accountable for working out during the week.

Update: I just got the email that registration opens on 8/17!! WHEE!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Taken last night... sorry for the delay! Note the mid-torso problem area *growls*

Jesus, I need to take smaller photos with my phone...

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Alright, pictures are here... please forgive the ghostly Casper-like tone of my skin. Nordic heritage and all.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I know there was a no creeping clause in the contest but...daaaamn Azure. Meow!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Okay! Sorry about the delay.

So, let's get this rolling.

Current Weight: 213
Height: 6'1
BMI: 28.1

I'm aiming to be about 200 by october. Thirteen pounds shouldn't be that hard, I'm just going to cut back on the beer, carbs and just fast food in general (need to save money!). October 1st I'm moving to the city again and I'd love to take it by storm. I just have to make sure to get off my bum and not spend the weekends ruining all the trips to the gym over the week.

Here's the pictures. Ignore the marks on my chest, had to wear this stupid 24 hour heart-rate monitor.

I'd love to actually start getting some definition or something too. But I'm going to work on the extra weight too. Eventually 190 would be wonderful (and apparently average for my height).

drifter

drifter

The Baio is strong with this one.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I know there was a no creeping clause in the contest but...daaaamn Azure. Meow!
Geez, you're gonna make me blush... thank you LittleSin. I'll take the ego boost and hopefully I can improve by the end of September :).

I updated my goals a bit (lifted a few from the Doc because I figure trying to keep up to a crazy skydiver is an excellent motivator) and added my current status on all the exercises. I can't believe I can't do a single widegrip pullup right now. It's going to be BRUTAL to try and make it to ten.

This is great though... I hope everyone here can stick to their goals and we can all be leaner and meaner at the end of this :D

BananaHands

BananaHands

I can't do a wide-grip pull-up either. That's on my goals too now.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

You guys are just...yay! I'm so glad to have so many people on board with this and I'm so excited to see everyone's progress and updates.

I kind of want to hug everyone of you.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Okay, so the last day for people to enter is September 27th!

Also, the next check-in is September 1st! That's when we'll start doing monthly winners. Anyone else willing to judge? I might muscle Kags into doing it, but we should get one more.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'd be happy to be a judge. :) (Look, no muscle-ing required!)

Gusto

Gusto

Alright.

Height: 6'3
Weight: 158lbs
BMI: 19.7

Although this is the heaviest I've ever been, I'm not trying to lose weight. Finally up to the bare minimum of "normal weight" BMI. The problem is that a lot of it is from burgers and beer so I still look skinny and have a little flab on me. Still, if this new weight is indicative of my ability to hold onto weight, then my goal is to become a bit more muscular and toned. I have no idea how to measure that. I guess te pictures will be my indication.

Oh and other goals include buying better-fitting underwear and showering BEFORE my picture next time. ;)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I used to have your problem Gusto... then I got older ;).

So I've been acheiving slow strength gains which is good, but unfortunately I'm totally borked on the widegrip pullups. I lost all my sweet upper back and deltoid strength so now I'm slowly building it back to the point where I can lift my heavy carcass again.

When is our first check in anyways?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Just keep at it! It'll be hard, but I know you'll get there with the pull-ups.

We're doing a check in on Sept. 1st. :)

Gusto

Gusto

I used to have your problem Gusto... then I got older ;).
I've been hearing this since I was a kid. They told me when I hit puberty I'd fill out. Then they told me when I was in college. Then they told me when I started drinking.

I'd love to believe you man but it hasn't happened yet.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I've been hearing this since I was a kid. They told me when I hit puberty I'd fill out. Then they told me when I was in college. Then they told me when I started drinking.

I'd love to believe you man but it hasn't happened yet.

Heh, I was only being half serious... because now that I'm in my early thirties my muscle tone turns to flub much quicker. I was a beanpole till I was about 20 when I found out I was a celiac. After adjusting my diet I was able to pack on muscle (and fat) like crazy. Seriously though, for you to build size is probably going to take heavy lifting and insane protein intake.

Docseverin

Docseverin

Updated my first post to be more collected and easy to read.[DOUBLEPOST=1345564801][/DOUBLEPOST]And Gusto, for trying to build muscle a lot of people I know go with a loading phase where your protein intake should be 1 1/2 to 2 grams of protein per pound you weigh.
After you reach a weight you are comfortable with you can begin to cut the fat away and that is usually 1 gram of protein for pound to keep from going catabolic. Be prepared to eat 8 times a day including waking up at night to eat meals.[DOUBLEPOST=1345564991][/DOUBLEPOST]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181884&page=1

Gusto

Gusto

Docseverin, thanks for the tips but I have neither the time, inclination, nor income to support that kind of plan. I'm fine doing what I can and being a skinny guy all my life. I've proven before that with a modicum of weightlifting and adjusting my diet slightly, I can get the kind of build I want. Just a matter of maintaining it.

BananaHands

BananaHands

First Check-In:
September 1st.

Last Chance to Enter for September Prize:
August 27th.[DOUBLEPOST=1345574270][/DOUBLEPOST]

Current Participants:
BananaHands
LittleKagsin
Gusto
Azurephoenix
Officer_Charon
David
figmentPez
phil
Gared
Docseverin
WasabiPoptart
LittleSin
Covar
HowDroll

Also, Covar, I'm going to join MyFitness Pal so we can start looking into the group thing.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Is losing 10 pounds or fitting into a size 18 a good goal?

BananaHands

BananaHands

Is losing 10 pounds or fitting into a size 18 a good goal?
Yep! Editing it now.

Covar

Covar

Goals:
  1. To break under 220lbs (and hold it, currently at 228), or
  2. Fit back into size 34 pants. Not squeeze into, fit into, or
  3. ... (need to figure this one out, either going to be a workout goal or a BMI goal (since I am playing hockey), but I have no recent baselines)

HowDroll

HowDroll

Current stats as of this morning:

Weight: 174.7 lb
Height: 5'4
BMI: 30.1
Body Fat: 38.6%

So... yeah. Not good. Still 10lbs lower than my all-time high, but nowhere near where I want to be (which is in the 135-145 lb range)

Goals for the month:

1. Lose 10 lbs.
2. Skate 25 derby laps in 5 minutes. As of last night, I was at 21.5
3. Learn to do real pushups and knock out ten in a row. Right now, I could maybe do one.

Aaand, here are "before" pictures (that I am really, really hoping I'm not going to regret posting, but I didn't feel that the ones I took in workout attire really did as good job of a job at showing where I am right now. I look much better with clothes on. 30lbs from now, I'll be glad I have these, and if nothing else, it's hella motivation to lose some weight so that I have a set of "after" pictures to accompany them):

Please be nice :(

Also, check out my awesome derby bruise at the bottom of pic number 2!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Added Droll to the list.

Also, adding a new thing to my goal. Growing a beard.

Gusto

Gusto

Added Droll to the list.

Also, adding a new thing to my goal. Growing a beard.
Nice. Way to rub it in my face.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Nice. Way to rub it in my face.
What...? About the beard?

Gusto

Gusto

What...? About the beard?
Yup. I wish I could grow a beard.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yup. I wish I could grow a beard.
It's okay man, I can't grow a great one... but I'm hoping sheer will alone will help.

Also, I'm moving to a hipster area in Chicago, they love that shit.

drifter

drifter

Tall and lean, sharp and clean
With him there's no inbetween
The Man with Bananas on his Hands

BananaHands

BananaHands

Tall and lean, sharp and clean
With him there's no inbetween
The Man with Bananas on his Hands

Covar

Covar

I really need to get a tape measure so I can accurately figure BMI. Chart below is just using height and weight. Getting waist and neck measurements will most likely help me. On the plus side I'm now "overweight" and not Obese.

bmi.png

For my third goal, I hope to cut say 1% from my BMI (I'll get a tape measure and try and get a sensible number).

Docseverin

Docseverin

Last night: Beer and Nachos, Today I took an APFT:
6'2"
196lbs
14% Body Fat
Push ups: 68
Sit ups: 62
2 Mile Run: 14:13
Not huge gains but not bad for a month.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I need to find out my body fat percentage.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hey! Tomorrow marks our first check-in!

Cajungal

Cajungal

14%... Jeebus. I should probably find that out too.

drifter

drifter

I bought one'o them cheap plastic body fat calipers. Not something I'd recommend if you're a numbers freak, but if you're looking for a ballpark figure to work with, it seems accurate enough.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'll be running the numbers tonight and checking in tomorrow.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I bought one'o them cheap plastic body fat calipers. Not something I'd recommend if you're a numbers freak, but if you're looking for a ballpark figure to work with, it seems accurate enough.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to find some of those.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Check in #1:

Previous Stats (08/22):

Stats as of 09/01:
Weight: 173.5 lb (-1.2 lb)
BMI: 29.6 (-.5, and moved from "obese" to "overweight")
Body Fat: 37.04% (-1.56%)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Damn... forgot we were checking in today... I will have my updates and photo for you tomorrow. *headwheel*

LittleSin

LittleSin

I don't know about BMI or body fat...but I was 251 lbs...I'm now 248lbs.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I don't know about BMI or body fat...but I was 251 lbs...I'm now 248lbs.
BMI's easy to figure out -- there are tons of calculators online that will figure it out for you, like http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/.

I have a scale that does a body composition scan, and while I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, it's something to go by at least.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Damn it! I should have weighed myself last week when I saw my doctor. :/

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Way to go you lovely peeps! I'm so glad to see people checking in!

My check in is less...numerical. But I'm happy to report that my size 10 pants are starting to feel more loose and my workouts were starting to plateau, so instead of doing one circut of interval training, I now do two.

Keep it up everyone! I'm kind of super proud of you all. :)

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Ok I am going to check in with my running progress because my goal is to run a 5k rather than weight loss (though that is a great "side effect").

I have been running about every other day and trying to do some other type of exercise on the in between days or resting if I am too sore or exhausted. I can now run for a straight 2:30 minute interval! A month ago I was only running 45 seconds maximum per interval.
I don't feel like my clothes are more loose (yet), but I can see changes in the way my feet (yes my feet since they used to be a bit puffy), legs and rear look.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

BMI's easy to figure out -- there are tons of calculators online that will figure it out for you, like http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/.

I have a scale that does a body composition scan, and while I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, it's something to go by at least.
I don't care for that calculator, as it puts the LIGHTEST that I've been recorded as an adult (when I left Parris Island after busting my ass for 3 months) - 195 lbs - as being borderline overweight for my height.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Bah, sorry about being late.

Starting Weight: 213
Current Weight: 208.6
Goal Weight: 200
Starting BMI: 28.1
Current BMI: 27.4
Old/New Pic comparison:
Reaction: I'm happy with the numbers dropping, though I've yet to SEE any progress. I have had an increase in the amount of weight I lift, which is nice. I feel like I'm well on my way to my goal though.[DOUBLEPOST=1346771068][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and my beard is coming in nicely.

Covar

Covar

Weighed 228.6 this morning, which is up pretty high from last week. Events of the long weekend really f'd up my diet (used as term of food ingested, I'm not dieting), but I expect to get back on track quickly. I'm sure I have an old pair of size 34 jeans still, I'll check on that progress next week. BMI is up to 30.2, again something I'm confident will go down, once I'm back on track.

Overall I'm pleased, I lost progress this weekend, but there will be ups and downs, and I have to be okay with that. Overall I've managed to improve my diet, Soda's are out, I'm eating breakfast nearly everyday (sometimes I run out of breakfast food), Fruits and veggie servings are up, and alcohol and sweets are down to once a week at most.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nanners, you're always the last one to notice, especially when it's a little at a time. I'm happy for all of y'all. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Okay so:

Last Time:
Weight: 158lbs
BMI: 19.7

This Time:
Weight: 160lbs +2lbs
BMI: 20.0 +0.3

Picture Comparison:

As you can see I`m also trying to grow some facial hair. Results are mixed.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I don't care for that calculator, as it puts the LIGHTEST that I've been recorded as an adult (when I left Parris Island after busting my ass for 3 months) - 195 lbs - as being borderline overweight for my height.
BMI can be a pretty shitty measurement of fitness, since muscle is more dense than -- and thus weighs more per square inch than -- fat. But then again, it uses an individual's "ideal weight," which is also a pretty meaningless number. It's something I personally track to monitor progress, but of the three numbers, it's the one I worry about the least.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Okay so:
As you can see I`m also trying to grow some facial hair. Results are mixed.

Hey! How you doin'? :unibrow:

Gusto

Gusto

Oh not too bad how are yooooou?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Daaaang Kev.

Gusto

Gusto

I guess I'll take those as compliments. Thanks ladies. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Indeed. Congrats on the progress, and also I like the whiskas!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Add another "How ya doin'?" to the pile.

Daaaaaamn.

BananaHands

BananaHands

And I made that "no creeping" rule because of the females of the forum, who knew Gusto would be a sexy beast.

LittleSin

LittleSin

You ain't too bad yourself.

Actually, your newly formed beard may bump you up a few notches....

HowDroll

HowDroll

This thread is giving me the vapors.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Ugh, I have fallen off the wagon (my sons have been murdering my workout schedule lately) but I will put together some pictures tonight after my workout.

Covar

Covar

I was right. This morning I had already dropped 2 pounds after 1 day back to eating like I'm supposed to. A lot of water weight. Back on track!

Gared

Gared

I was going to say that I didn't do a damn thing toward my goals, and for the most part, I didn't. On the other hand, I did spend all day Monday cooking and cleaning, and managed to exhaust myself enough to get to sleep just after midnight and get to work at 7:15am... as opposed to my usual 10 or 11am; and that did help me get to sleep just after midnight last night. So I guess... one goal is getting better.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Alright, here we go.

Pushups: 54
Situps: 75
Pullups: 9
Widegrip Pullups: 1

I've definitely gained strength since starting but I'm not sure if much is showing yet.

Current picture:

Picture from the beginning:

I have to try really hard not to slack on workouts because I've been pretty bad lately... plus eating like garbage. Kids have been stressing me out but hopefully we are past the worst of it for the time being

LittleSin

LittleSin

Small update: 245 as of this morning.

PatrThom

PatrThom

No pics, since I didn't officially sign up or anything.
But "the Dad workout" is still achieving some results.
Last week, wt 160.
This week, wt 157, down one belt notch.
No pics. Didn't take any before, so no during/after. Plus I'm shy-ish.

EDIT: Also, my beard's not done coming in, so it still looks really dorky.

--Patrick

HowDroll

HowDroll

No pics, since I didn't officially sign up or anything.
But "the Dad workout" is still achieving some results.
Last week, wt 160.
This week, wt 157, down one belt notch.
No pics. Didn't take any before, so no during/after. Plus I'm shy-ish.

EDIT: Also, my beard's not done coming in, so it still looks really dorky.

--Patrick
It can't be any worse than the pictures of me in my underwear :p

Covar

Covar

Status for the week. Weighed 223.6 today, gained some over the weekend, which is to be expected based on my meals, but managed to stay under 225 for the weekend. I'm counting that as a big plus.

Gared

Gared

Another week, another week spend not working out. However, my weekend work load was massive and I was basically on my feet and working from 8:30am Saturday until 12:30am Sunday, and then again from 9:00am Sunday to 8:00pm Sunday. And I've cut way down on the amount of junk food I'm eating, and the amount of caffeine I've been consuming, while increasing the amount of healthy food I'm eating and the amount of water I've been drinking. And on a personally gratifying note, I made homemade blackberry jam yesterday and the only evidence of that left in my kitchen is the jars of jam themselves, instead of a huge mess of sticky blackberry jam coating the entire kitchen - thankfully.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It can't be any worse than the pictures of me in my underwear :p
I also don't have the means to take/post pics while I'm away, so that was more an excuse for why there haven't been any pics yet. By the time I get home, I plan to have built up enough shy-resistance to snap a pic or two once I'm around my camera again.

Also the beard will have had an extra week.

--Patrick

HowDroll

HowDroll

Check in #1:

Previous Stats (08/22):

Stats as of 09/01:
BMI: 29.6 (-.5, and moved from "obese" to "overweight")
Body Fat: 37.04% (-1.56%)

Stats as of 09/11:
Weight: 171.1lb (-3.6lb)
BMI: 29.2 (-.9)
Body Fat: 37.88% (-0.72%)

I'm not sure how accurate the body fat measure on my scale is -- when I step on a few times in succession, the weight stays pretty much the same but the body fat can vary by up to .5%. The weight number is moving down slowly but surely, though, and my jeans are fitting a LOT more loosely. (I'm going to have to go down a pants size soon!) I can also tell I'm getting much stronger with my lifting at the gym, although my numbers are still fairly pitiful, so I might be gaining weight in muscle too.

I'm going to Kentucky for the rest of the week to visit the boyfriend's family. It's going to take a LOT of willpower to keep eating right and getting exercise. Wish me luck.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm not sure how accurate the body fat measure on my scale is -- when I step on a few times in succession, the weight stays pretty much the same but the body fat can vary by up to .5%.
Variations in the conductivity of your skin will cause the readings to fluctuate. This is normal.

--Patrick

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hey guys, was thinking we should do a check-in on Monday again. Hope everyone is keeping fit!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Last check-in before the final weigh-in.

Get in here, bitches.

LittleSin

LittleSin

244lbs. :(

BananaHands

BananaHands

Bah, sorry about being late.

Current Weight 1: 208.6
Current Weight 2: 205.2
Goal Weight: 200
Current BMI 1: 27.4
Current BMI 2: 27.1
Former Bench: 115 lbs
Current Bench: 135 lbs
Old/New Pic comparison:

Reaction: Well, slowly making my way down to 200, though I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to hit my goal at this rate. :mad: But, I feel that giving a few days after this last weekend I might drop a pound or two after going back to my regular eating and not snackin' on stupid things eating. MOTIVATIOOON. Also, I need sleep. Also, judging from the pictures I feel like I looked a bit thinner the second week, thought he numbers be tellin' me differently.

HowDroll

HowDroll

You look like a lumberjack :thumbsup:

I was a bad girl this weekend, so I'm not weighing myself (or taking pics) until the final weigh-in. I need to go strap on skates and do some penance.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys, they think our chests are average. :cry:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I feel like I looked a bit thinner the second week, thought he numbers be tellin' me differently.
I think your stomach looks tighter and you're standing straighter in the third picture compared to the second.

My check-in, on the other hand, is not so great. I am running longer intervals, but my pace has slowed down and my motivation is dipping low. I'm starting to feel more like this is work instead of fun because I don't feel like I am improving. I also haven't been working out as much on my off days. This all must be remedied!

Covar

Covar

I've found a correlation between my eating habbits and work. Got stuck working on the weekend, I ate shit, lost a lot of progress. Writing this whole week off as getting back on track. Weighed in at 224.4 this morning.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So yeah...I burp almost constantly. Should I eat more vegetables or will that do nothing?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm going to a final check in at the end of this month... not sure where I'm going to be on my goal spectrum either. Workouts have been insanely random lately and I haven't been eating as well as I should have. Young children sap your energy and turn schedules upside down (along with everything in the kitchen).

Gared

Gared

So yeah...I burp almost constantly. Should I eat more vegetables or will that do nothing?
Could be a stomach acid issue, or possibly GERD, along with a host of other possibilities. Not sure that veggies would necessarily help. Is there any burning in your stomach/esophagus to go along with the burping?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Could be a stomach acid issue, or possibly GERD, along with a host of other possibilities. Not sure that veggies would necessarily help. Is there any burning in your stomach/esophagus to go along with the burping?
No I just burp a lot, and it only really hurts if I hold in said gas. I do know that it gets worse if I haven't eaten much in a while so it may be a stomach acid issue. Also I don't seem to be farting as much as I should. Some days I don't fart at all, Its really weird.

Gared

Gared

To tell you the truth, if you're not experiencing stomach/throat burning... gas could be caused by damn near anything.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I am SO sorry I missed the weigh in. I just...took a hiatus at a bad time.

Don't give up lovlies!

If anyone is losing motiviation, I suggest changing up your routine. Bordom can equal zero motivation. So, just keep at it! We haven't been working this hard to slack off now. It's time to reinvigorate the desire and to keep going! Woot!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I did an "official" weigh-in the other day, after everything that's happened.

Measured at 245, 23% body fat.

Yeuch. I'd post pics, but still don't have any for September. Will have them for the October weigh-in.

Gusto

Gusto

I didn't get to work out as much this time as I'd have liked but I'm up another pound to 161 and not carrying it in my gut, which is nice.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I feel terrible I missed posting pictures, so as penance I'm posting pictures from when I finished my run - I look like death. I pretty nearly took this pictures moments after I had returned home. Although, it may just be as much punishment for you....

Behold, my sweat riddled body!

(sports bra = no bewbs..:()

Anyways, there you go! I'm actually quite excited because I looked at pictures of me from a year ago and I can see a difference. I know these past few months have really put me on the right track and I can't wait to keep at it, hopefully continuing to improve. As well as get results.

Also, everyone else is looking great!! Everyone is kind of pretty darn attractive, keep up all of the hard work, it's paying off.

Hugs all around!!

Frank

Frank

Man, I'm getting fat in my leave. Just not doing anything feeling all sorry for myself. Time to knock that shit off.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Five days left.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I suck... and I've barely reached 50% of my goals (still better than nothing... but feels lame).

HowDroll

HowDroll

I suck... and I've barely reached 50% of my goals (still better than nothing... but feels lame).
Dude -- you still got better. You're moving in the right direction. There's NOTHING lame about that. You'll get there next month :)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm with HowDroll! I'm a firm believer in never beating yourself up about this sort of thing - it discourages you from trying again, or to keep trying. Look at what you've done so far and strive to do better in the future.

And that goes for everyone here. Setting and attaining goals is great and quite wonderful, but if you fall short? So what. Make new goals and try again! Never give up. :)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I know... I just can't get on a regular schedule for working out and it drives me crazy. Oh well... I'll keep at it though... don't want to let my 1.5 months of hard work go to seed.

I really REALLY wish I could dedicate the time I need for some cardio training but it's hard enough getting to do the strength training I'm currently doing.

Gared

Gared

I still haven't even really started on the physical side of my goals, but I have been concentrating a lot on the mental and emotional sides. Our apartment is now a much, much more pleasant place to live, since we've done a massive deep-cleaning initiative and have sorted through a bunch of crap. Still have to actually take stuff down to the cars and take it off to be donated; but at least now it's in boxes and ready to go. I've also been working on one major step that will really help my ability to work out more frequently and will make it possible for me not to keel over after 10 minutes or so... quitting smoking. It's been a tough couple weeks, but it's getting better. It's definitely getting easier to get to sleep at night, though not as easy to get out of bed in the morning.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I have yet to weigh myself. I'm too afraid. My clothes are not baggy, but I am starting to see they aren't as tight in spots. I ran nearly a quarter mile without stopping - TWICE! I am happy though I wish I was able to run farther without stopping. My 5k is just over a month away!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I have yet to weigh myself. I'm too afraid. My clothes are not baggy, but I am starting to see they aren't as tight in spots. I ran nearly a quarter mile without stopping - TWICE! I am happy though I wish I was able to run farther without stopping. My 5k is just over a month away!

Keep it up... it's inspiring to see you constantly posting about your running improvments... :)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Guys!! Guys!

I'm now a size 8! Yeah baybee! And that means...jean shopping....:)

Jay

Jay

rabPH.gif

HowDroll

HowDroll

Guys!! Guys!

I'm now a size 8! Yeah baybee! And that means...jean shopping....:)
YEAHHHHH KAGS! Go girl! :D

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Thanks HowDroll! =^^=

BananaHands

BananaHands

JAY YOU KEEP THAT IN THE KAGS THREAD

BananaHands

BananaHands

Just wanted to touch on what everyone else is saying. You could be only half a step towards your goals, but progress is progress. Babysteps or not, you're getting better.

A friend of mine has been working really hard to lose weight and just found out he no longer needs his diabetes medication because of it. Just the look on his face when he told me about it was enough to see all those annoying trips to the gym and the times he had to force himself not to get fries were worth it.

Also, the more in shape you are - the more likely you are to survive a zombie apocalypse.

Adam

Adam

Damn, sad I missed this.

Original weight: 233lbs (June 1. 2012)
Current weight: 198.4lbs

Adam

Adam

Busted my ass on an hour run/walk today. Using the Get Running app, it's actually pretty decent training from couch potato to less couch potato.

http://splendid-things.co.uk/getrunning/

Gared

Gared

I made it up the 2 flights of stairs to my office this morning without being completely out of breath for the first time since we moved into this building. Apparently lungs really do prefer air over smoke.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Previous Stats (08/22):

Stats as of 09/01:
BMI:
29.6 (-.5, and moved from "obese" to "overweight")
Body Fat:
37.04% (-1.56%)

Stats as of 09/11:

Stats as of 10/01:

Weight: 169.2lb (-5.5lb total)
BMI: 28.9 (-1.2 total)
Body Fat: 36.59% (-2.01% total)

Aaaand updated pictures, sweaty and gross from after derby practice:

Thoughts on the month:

Well, I didn't quite meet any of my initial goals. I lost 5.5 lbs, not 10, and I skated 24/25 laps at practice tonight (although I really think I would have gotten the full 25 if I didn't have a nasty wipeout halfway through.) I do feel, though, that I probably aimed too high at the beginning of the month -- something I'm going to correct for Halfitness round two. Losing about a pound a week is probably a more realistic, healthy goal, ESPECIALLY if you're doing as much strength training as I have been -- I can feel muscles where I've never felt muscles before, even when I weighed less, and if I'm building significant amounts of muscle it could be causing me to lose weight more slowly. I also saw pretty massive improvements in my strength training -- I didn't end up doing pushups like I had originally planned, but I increased the weight and number of reps on my entire strength routine (barbell squats 2 sets 45lb -> 3 sets 95 lb, lat pulldown 2 sets 45lb -> 3 sets 75lb, bench press 20lb -> 30lb, etc.)

My diet was overall pretty good, with a few major slip-ups, but I worked out at least 5 times per week for the entire month. I'm really proud of that.

I think the single biggest improvement you can see in the pictures is actually in the first one. I'm wearing the same bottoms in both, but the little shorts are hidden by fat in the first picture :( I definitely still have a long way to go, but some of my gross fat rolls are shrinking, so yay for that. I'm 4.2% smaller!

Here's to October. I think on November 1, I'm going to be able to see a pretty huge difference between round 1 and round 3 pictures.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

That is awesome!! Congrats so much on your improvements! YAY!!

Adam

Adam

Stats as of 10/01:

Thoughts on the month:

Well, I didn't quite meet any of my initial goals. I lost 5.5 lbs, not 10, and I skated 24/25 laps at practice tonight (although I really think I would have gotten the full 25 if I didn't have a nasty wipeout halfway through.) I do feel, though, that I probably aimed too high at the beginning of the month -- something I'm going to correct for Halfitness round two. Losing about a pound a week is probably a more realistic, healthy goal, ESPECIALLY if you're doing as much strength training as I have been -- I can feel muscles where I've never felt muscles before, even when I weighed less, and if I'm building significant amounts of muscle it could be causing me to lose weight more slowly. I also saw pretty massive improvements in my strength training -- I didn't end up doing pushups like I had originally planned, but I increased the weight and number of reps on my entire strength routine (barbell squats 2 sets 45lb -> 3 sets 95 lb, lat pulldown 2 sets 45lb -> 3 sets 75lb, bench press 20lb -> 30lb, etc.)

My diet was overall pretty good, with a few major slip-ups, but I worked out at least 5 times per week for the entire month. I'm really proud of that.

I think the single biggest improvement you can see in the pictures is actually in the first one. I'm wearing the same bottoms in both, but the little shorts are hidden by fat in the first picture :( I definitely still have a long way to go, but some of my gross fat rolls are shrinking, so yay for that. I'm 4.2% smaller!

Here's to October. I think on November 1, I'm going to be able to see a pretty huge difference between round 1 and round 3 pictures.
Can definitely notice a difference. Way to go! It's so much more fun to put on weight than to take it off.

Covar

Covar

Goals:
  1. To break under 220lbs (and hold it, currently at 228), or
  2. Fit back into size 34 pants. Not squeeze into, fit into, or
  3. ... (need to figure this one out, either going to be a workout goal or a BMI goal (since I am playing hockey), but I have no recent baselines)
  1. I can't seem to break below 220, I've been bouncing between 222 and 225 (usually below), with current weight at 224.2. However, there is good news about this...
  2. I'm wearing a new pair of 34 waist jeans (formerly 36). :D So while I haven't hit my weight goal, and am stuck on a plateau, I've been shedding something, now I just need a smaller belt (what a great problem to have)
  3. Still don't have a tape measure, myfitnesspal estimates 29.6 so no real gain there.
Overall I'm happy. Still eating better, skating more, and feeling fit.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Can you plateau at a certain level of working out/fitness? I know you can plateau in weight loss. I feel like my running is not improving much. I'm thinking of adding cross-training other than yoga and ab exercises, like crossfit circuits or something like that, to help condition my muscles better. Any thoughts?

Adam

Adam

Can you plateau at a certain level of working out/fitness? I know you can plateau in weight loss. I feel like my running is not improving much. I'm thinking of adding cross-training other than yoga and ab exercises, like crossfit circuits or something like that, to help condition my muscles better. Any thoughts?
Absolutely. Can always try running faster, farther, uphill, etc. as ways to break through the plateau. I know CrossFit is pretty big nowadays and the myriad of exercises they do seem to help combat that plateau.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Around here the big thing is Boot Camp. But there is no way I can afford $110 a month for 2 classes a week. I found some Cross Fit-like exercise routines on a few sites (aka free!), which is why I mentioned those routines. I do already go uphill for at least one interval because that's the way the road in our complex is built.
I want to be able to run faster and farther, but I feel like I'm stuck where I'm at as far as pace and distance. But I also think part of it is that I'm trying to push myself harder and I've set my expectations a little too high when it comes to how quickly I progress.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Have you tried splitting up the two goals? I mean, you say you want to run farther and faster, are you trying to do them at the same time? If it were me, I would try and run, say, faster one day, but go less distance. Or run farther, but go slower. Break up those two, farther and faster, and slowly work at putting them together. It's good to break up the monotony of doing the same things - trying to push yourself in the same way.

For my 'extra' workouts, I'm a pretty hard core lover of Bodyrock. You can always give it a go!

I like it because A)It's free, B) It's all interval training - so the workouts are intense but short C) It's customizable - you work out at your level and do as much as you can. I also like it because they talk about diet, giving you 'clean' recipies to try. And they put up new videos every day or so. I honestly feel this has what's given me my jump start to losing weight. Now, I like to go jogging on top of my bodyrocking.

If you want that extra something, I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.bodyrock.tv

Also, I'm giving a thumbs up to calisthenics.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sorry for the delay. Just moved in at my new place and the internet hasn't come in yet.

Current Weight 1: 208.6
Current Weight 2: 205.2
Current Weight 3: 203.4
September Goal Weight: 200
Current BMI 1: 27.4
Current BMI 2: 27.1
Current BMI 3: 26.9
Current BF%: 18%
Former Bench: 115 lbs
Current Bench: 135 lbs
Old/New Pic comparison:

Reaction: Okay, so I didn't reach my goal.:confused: Bummer.

Still, made some serious headway! The gut is going down, though still there. I definitely could watch what I'm eating a little better. I had a few occurrences of late night McDonalds, I'm hoping now that I'm in the city I'll be able to ride my bike a bit more. Been noticing that I've been getting out of breath a lot easier and my heart situation is practically in check, which is great. Oh, my 34 pants are starting to feel loose too, which is great. Haven't been a 32 since high school. Beard is coming in nicely, I've had to trim it down a few times but oh well.

Going to make my October goal a bit more realistic. It'd just be nice to be below 200.

Total Weight Lost: 9.6 Pounds
Missed Goal By: 3.4 Pounds
October Goal: 195.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I did look at this site a few months ago. I can't tell you why I didn't bother with the work outs. I don't remember what turned me off from it. However, I am going to look it over again!

As for my running, I think what I may do is start alternating between the two C-to-5k apps I have. One is timed and one goes by distance. I liked the distance one a lot, but I think that is because it was a new routine.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I was hesitant at first because the screen caps bothered me. But really, it is a great little site and the workouts will kick you in the rear. Anyway, I hope you can give it a try and find some success! =^^=

BananaHands

BananaHands

October HalFitness - (Working Title: So Frighteningly Fit)
Final Day to Enter: October 6th
Mid-Month Check-in: October 17th
Final Check-In: October 31st-November 5th.
Be sure to submit your final check-in for September if you want to win a silly prize. I'll pick one up soon and will post what it is by Sunday.

Encourage people to join! Current members of HalForums or bring someone new into the fray!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm in for October and will keep working towards the goals I set back in September as I definitely fell short.

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I'm in again. I'll have to make sure my gym membership is still active, once my brother-in-law returns from Greece, or Italy, or France, or wherever he is right now (he owns the gym and comped the membership for last year, but it may be up now). Assuming that it's either still active or that he's willing to comp me another year; I'll go with the following goals:

1) Hit the gym at least three times a week; 2x lifting and 1x cardio/endurance
2) Get my mile run time down to 9 minutes; last time I clocked it I believe it came in at 13 minutes, which was down significantly from the 21 minute time I'd originally put in.
3) Work up to 20 minutes of bike time at resistance 3 for warm-up cardio; previous best was 14 of 20 minutes at resistance 3, where the first and last 7 minutes were each at 3 and the middle was at 2.
4) Weight - I honestly don't care as much about the numbers on the scale as I do the final result of working out and being more active. I'm sure I'll either lose some weight, build some muscle, or both; but I know that if I go in just being motivated by the scale, I'll quickly falter.

Adam

Adam

I'm in. Pics when I get back. Although I've already lost most of the weight, I'm recomping now for muscle mass.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm definitely still in! I'm going on my run tonight or tomorrow morning so I can post my most recent times.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm back in as well!!

My new goal will be down to a comfortable size 6. And I think I'd like to run a 5k while I'm at it.

I'm so excited to keep up with this and stay updated on everyone's progress. Seeing you guys post progress, or your exercises definately motivates me. Woot!

Gusto

Gusto

I feel like I barely participated in the September one. WE SHALL SEE.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I'm definitely in again!

New goals:

- Skate a 25/5 FOR REALZ, YO. I'm actually going to shoot for 26/5 to give myself a little bit of wiggle room. This goal shouldn't be too hard, since I'm at 24 laps right now.
- Complete a Whole 30. I overall ate pretty okay on a day-to-day basis this month with intermittent episodes of eating like total shit (and one blackout drunk night, ugh). I feel like I have the fitness part of my life on track, but I'm going to try to hit the reset button on my eating habits. That's what's holding me back right now.
- Continue at least 5 workouts/week of 30 minutes or more.

I don't have a weight goal -- in fact, I'm not stepping on the scale until the final check-in. If I meet all of my goals, I will most definitely lose weight.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I feel like I barely participated in the September one. WE SHALL SEE.
Shaddup. You're in again.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Alright, as before here are my main strength goals:

- 80 pushups in two minutes.
- 90 situps in two minutes.
- 20 pullups/chinups in one set (whichever one I'm feeling stronger with that day as they stress slightly different muscles).
- 10 widegrip pullups in one set.
- Bench press 200lbs as max press.

Current abilities:

- 55 pushups before failure (68% of goal)
- 76 situps in two minutes (84% of goal)
- 10 pullups/chinups (50% of goal)
- 4 widegrip pullups (40% of goal)
- Bench press 170lbs as max press (estimated based off of past strength workouts and current abilities... I need to get to my friends workout equipment to test this) (85% of goal)

I also want to do some running and some yoga but we will see what I'm able to accomplish. Curiously I inexplicably gained 5 lbs in the past two weeks... not sure whether that's muscle or fat... it's hard to tell with my frame. Even with muscle weight gains I don't want to go much past 190 for my heaviest.

I'll post a picture at the end of October... for better or for worse.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Still in. I estimate no weight loss for this last month (everything just kind of went to hell *rueful look*), so I'm basically going from square one.

Gonna see about that Y membership... I've found out some interesting information that told me that weight loss, in and of itself, is not necessarily my goal: I can achieve my goal simply by lowering body fat. This can be a thing.

This WILL be a thing. I WILL be 18% body fat by the end of this... I'm sitting at 23% right now, I believe. This is doable. It is known.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Ok so here is the latest from the run I did tonight:

1.57 miles total - 4.45 mph max - 17:27 avg pace

Last month:
1.79 miles total - 4.78 mph max speed - 18:12 avg pace

Those both include warm up and cool down distance and pace.

My overall pace is better. My total distance went down when I switched to a distance running program instead of a timed one, but I am running for longer intervals than before. So while it doesn't look like much improvement, I did change from timed intervals to distance intervals which I say accounts for my minor slow down. Still... GO ME! I was looking at the stats for my last 3 runs (which were all with the distance intervals) and can see improvement in my overall pace already. On 9/26 my overall pace for the actual workout was 16:36 and tonight's was 16:16! I think shaving twenty seconds in three workouts is something to crow about.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Found out my body fat percentage is 18%. Gonna try to lower that to 16% by the end of October.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Still in. I estimate no weight loss for this last month (everything just kind of went to hell *rueful look*), so I'm basically going from square one.

Gonna see about that Y membership... I've found out some interesting information that told me that weight loss, in and of itself, is not necessarily my goal: I can achieve my goal simply by lowering body fat. This can be a thing.

This WILL be a thing. I WILL be 18% body fat by the end of this... I'm sitting at 23% right now, I believe. This is doable. It is known.
It is known. You got this.

Gared

Gared

My return to working out is going to have to be put off by at least a week, as I've run into my first serious negative consequence of quitting smoking - blood pressure issues. My blood pressure used to be slightly high, and I was prescribed a very low dose of Lisinopril mainly to protect my kidneys from rampant sugar due to the diabetes, which also had the effect of lowering my blood pressure back to just slightly below normal. Now that I've quit smoking, my blood pressure is normal, and I've started having really, really, really, extremely, really bad dizzy spells when I stand, sit, or lie down. So until I can get in touch with my doc and get his permission to drop the blood pressure meds, I don't want to chance working out and fucking around with my BP.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ah shit. I forgot to check in AND sign back up.

Well, my check in is a fail. I gained back 4 pounds because of travelling and funeral food. -_-

HowDroll

HowDroll

24.75 laps tonight. I literally crossed the line 2 seconds after the whistle blew. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I feel so whine-y, but the temperature has dropped so fast in the past week, I think my body is going in to 'eat for the winter!' mode. All I want to do is sit and eat, stock piling. My exercise regime has fallen pretty hard.

I know I can get back in to it, I just need to force myself better. I'm not giving up yet! I just wish the cold would go away..

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sounds like you guys need some inspiration.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

24.75 laps tonight. I literally crossed the line 2 seconds after the whistle blew. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU...
Then just think how sweet it'll be when you cross it two seconds BEFORE the whistle, next time. You got this!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hey losers.

Get it? Because we're losing weight? Eh?

Oh, I guess Gusto is gaining.

Hey losers and gainer.

Either way, I think we all know what MONDAY is! Check-in day! Don't go too crazy this weekend!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Checking in!!

Starting size for Oct: 8 (24 in.)
Starting distance: 2.1 miles.

I'm also jumping back on to my healthy eating habits. They've kind of gone to the wayside this past week, but I'm back in the game.

Let's keep it up peeps! :)

HowDroll

HowDroll

Checking in as well!

I am on day 12 of my Whole 30 -- no grains/corn/potatoes/soy/dairy/added sugar/alcohol. I've managed to stay 100% compliant, even though I was in Chicago visiting my family last week, and I can tell I've already lost a few pounds. I'll have a final weigh-in when it's over.

BananaHands

BananaHands

September Weight 3: 203.4
Current Weight: 200.6

September BF%: 18%
Current BF%: ???
Old/New Pic comparison:

Reaction:

So close to being below 200. Also, living in the city is killing my eating habits, but I've been managing going to the gym at least five times a week. I keep trying to throw cardio in my workouts, but that'll only happen once a week because jogging/cardio is the worst.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Lookin' good BananaHands!!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I did my check in last night over on the I Just Exercised thread! LOL

BananaHands

BananaHands

Check in on Monday!

Covar

Covar

For the first time since 2005 I weighed in at under 220 lbs. :megusta:

David

David

I totally failed on this from September. My weight actually started to float above 220 which gave me an "Aw hell naw!" moment. I've reshuffled my sleep schedule and have actually been awake to go jogging in the morning for the past week and am averaging the needle pointing to 219 again. I'm currently researching workout methods so I can set a daily plan (pushups/situps MWF, leg lifts TTHS, ect.) and am hoping to make it a daily routine.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Pushed a car about 50-75 yards today. My lungs are STILL not happy with me... apparently my body's telling me it's still not better from whatever devil-virus attacked me a couple weeks back.

Dammit. I was going to run on Wednesday, too. I might still do it, but I have honest concerns about being able to breath afterwards...

Zappit

Zappit

I want to take some pounds off, but I've dropped about 15 pounds just from coming off the steroids I was taking for my kidney condition. Bloated me up like a water balloon, made my appetite ravenous, and amplified my ADD considerably, leaving me with little self-control in terms of eating. I guess I need to see where I level off, because it's only been a few months now, and I'm still shedding weight.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm withdrawing from HalFitness for now as I have completely and utterly fallen off the wagon. Haven't worked out in a month, been sick for 3 weeks, sleep deprived, stressed, apathetic, whine whine whine, etc. I hope to get back into it at a later date but I've lost nearly everything I gained... and gained some extra I'm not pleased about.

Gared

Gared

Yeah... I gotta say I'm in the same boat as Azurephoenix... I have not done a damn thing this month.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm not keeping strict track lately, but that's exactly how I've felt lately. Ah well, peaks and valleys.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I think I might play audio books instead of music when I go on the treadmill. It is sooooooooo boring and the tv's are almost directly overhead so I can't watch while I run. I'm hoping the books will help me stop watching the clock.

Also, before I even think about the treadmill again I need to get my leg checked out. I'm thinking I might have a stress fracture instead of a shin splint. Hopefully I don't have to wait for 2 weeks to be seen.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I refuse to let my health fall completely by the wayside in the wake (mostly passed, at any rate) of this crud that I've been suffering under. Next week, come Hell or High Water, I WILL be PTing. With any luck, the exercise will force the crap that's been settling in my lungs out.

I mean, if getting gassed with CS wasn't enough to purge the shit, I'm not sure what else will, but I'll try anything. My stamina has gone to SHIT whilst I've been sick, though... this is distressing both at work and at home. I WILL get past this...

Emrys

Emrys

I refuse to let my health fall completely by the wayside in the wake (mostly passed, at any rate) of this crud that I've been suffering under. Next week, come Hell or High Water, I WILL be PTing. With any luck, the exercise will force the crap that's been settling in my lungs out.

I mean, if getting gassed with CS wasn't enough to purge the shit, I'm not sure what else will, but I'll try anything. My stamina has gone to SHIT whilst I've been sick, though... this is distressing both at work and at home. I WILL get past this...
Bronchitis is the vampire of illnesses. I get it at least twice a year and that shit will suck the life out of you. Go slow when you start PTing again. You don't want to relapse.

Adam

Adam

I'm bouncing around 199 waiting for our new home gym to arrive. Also have been put on some pretty heavy antibiotics that have made my appetite kaput so I only see more weight loss from here.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Woohoo! It is just a shin splint. I'm doing my 5k tomorrow - though I'm going to walk most, if not all, of it so I don't get more hurt.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Previous Stats (08/22):

Stats as of 09/01:
BMI:
29.6 (-.5, and moved from "obese" to "overweight")
Body Fat:
37.04% (-1.56%)

Stats as of 09/11:

Stats as of 10/01:
Bummer that a lot of you are dropping out :(

I'm a few days late, but here's my progress for October:

Stats as of 11/01:
Weight: 162.5lb (-12.2lb total)
BMI:
27.7 (-2.6 total)
Body Fat:
35.3% (-3.3% total)

Aaand progress pictures (I also found some pretty gross pictures from my highest weight, which was about a year and a half ago, so I included those for funsies as well):

All in all, I'm really quite satisfied with my progress this month. I'm still not happy when I see myself in the mirror, but everything is definitely looking much tighter than a few months ago. My fat rolls on my stomach/waist are pretty much gone, and I'm even starting to show some muscle definition in my arms (which you can really see in the last picture) and stomach. I'd like to officially declare myself halfway there -- I still have about another 20-25lb to lose, but I very much doubt I'll be able to lose much more than that. I've been building a lot of muscle with my strength training, especially in my quads from derby and squats (115lb on the barbell as of tonight, woo hoo!), and I don't think I'll be able to lose more than another 10-15% body fat tops without starving myself, which I'm not willing to do. In case you haven't figured it out by the top few pictures, I kind of like food a lot.

Here's to November -- and hopefully being back in the 150s for the first time since my sophomore year of college.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Much respect. Your progress is crystal clear! I'm sure that you'll reach your final goals. :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Maybe this is a thing I should start doing? I'm not overweight, in fact I need to put on some as I lost 10 pounds earlier in the summer thanks to some meds that destroyed my appetite and I haven't been able to get them back. But I haven't really been doing anything since I quit running with the onset of winter. I'm thinking about swimming a few mornings during the week. Hm.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Do it! Join us Chad!!

Sorry I was lazy with my check in...I haven't been doing much, I'm really struggling to get motivation now that it's cold. I can barely run outside before my lungs cry. On the front of the personal trainer, she's on vacation until the 11th, so I'll get together with her when she gets back. Eee, excite!
Regardless of my exercising, I am back on the wagon for healthy eating. I stocked up on fresh veggies and fruit.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Color Run 5k was today!! I did it in about 45 minutes. I don't have an exact time, but I know about when I started and when I stopped. I will post a pic of me later. Right now I am starving and sleepy.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

IMG_2572.JPG

drifter

drifter

↑ First thing I thought of.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

That's kind of what it looked like when they did the color plumes, too! :rofl:

Though you should also see what's still coming out of my nose today. I think I need to do a sinus rinse.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Was it fun Wasabi?? We do a festival of colors near where I live and I've always wondered about it. I'm sure a run is different, but if it's any fun at all...I think I want to do it!!

So, since I've got an upcoming photoshoot in a couple of weeks, and I'm panicking, I'll be posting a work-out every day until then. If I have to be accountable to you guys, I think I have a better chance of staying on track. Woo-hoo! I'm back on track baby!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Was it fun Wasabi?? We do a festival of colors near where I live and I've always wondered about it. I'm sure a run is different, but if it's any fun at all...I think I want to do it!!
It was a load of fun. Since it was a "fun run" you could run, walk, skip, whatever to get to the finish. There were 4 color stations along the route, so you ran through people throwing colored powder at you. At the end, when you went back to the staging area, they had a dance party and every 10 minutes they did a color plume where everyone with a packet of powder would toss it in the air. If you do the festival of colors, my suggestion is to wear a bandana or dust mask because colored corn starch powder gets hard to breathe when there is a huge cloud of it all around you. During the color plumes I could barely see the person in front of me because the air was so thick with powder.[DOUBLEPOST=1352135307][/DOUBLEPOST]This is what the pink color station looked like as I was approaching it. I could see the clouds of powder hanging in the air from other color stations when I was across the street from them.
pink.jpg

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Ah, sounds fantastic! Thank you for the advice. =^^=

Also, 2 mile run today.

I know this is silly...I mean, I've never met any of you, but I just want to say how thankful I am for the support I get from you guys with this. I get support at home, but..there's only the 2 of us, so it's nice to have a network of like-minded people. So, thank you so very much guys! :heart:

With that same train of thought, I would like to throw out positive vibes out to everyone who wants to make a change for themselves, a change for the better. Even if you can't exercise every day, or report every day, it's often times the little things that start to make a difference. So, just do your best everyone! I support you!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm pretty sore from my run yesterday so I took it pretty easy today.

I danced for about 1 1/2 today. BUT, I did do something and said I would post, so there you go.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I am being good and following doctor's orders about resting my leg, but man it is killing me to not run or even go for a brisk walk. I can't even do jumping jacks without pain. This sucks.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Ran today for the first time in the better part of a month. 13 minutes for a (slightly-extended - stupid GPS was off on the distance calls) 1.5 mile. Chest felt tight, but not too bad, and I attribute that to losing conditioning rather than anything medical.

Feeling good. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I did yoga. Then the 'Ab Workout from Hell'. And danced. (I'm dancing in a video in a few weeks and want to get the coreography down pat.)

Ab Workout from Hell: Stand on slippery paper in the plank position. 50 seconds max effort, 10 second "rest" holding plank.
Bring both legs to your chest: 18
Both legs to your sides, alternating: 15
The Frog (bring you knees to your chest, spread your legs out and back together into plank): 12
Sides, alternating: 13

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I was so busy yesterday, I didn't get around to posting. And since I was busy, I didn't get a really good exercise in. I just went on a light job, which was nice since I'm still REALLY sore from my ab workout. My plan is to keep doing that ab routine every day, slowly working to higher reps as well as multiple times through. Yay!

Even if I don't work out the hardest everyday, I just want you guys to know that I'm not giving up in anyway! It may be hard to find the time to exercise, but it's worth it. So worth it.

fade

fade

Wouldn't mind getting in on this, too. Every bit of motivation helps. I was in really good shape earlier this year, but I let myself slip during August and September when I got back together with my wife and kids finally (due to work). Since October, I've been working to get it back. I've been biking 20-25 miles every other day, and doing 1.5 hours of karate every opposite day. I dropped about 15 lbs back off doing that. Only problem is that my lower back is starting to get stiff and sore. It doesn't want to move, like it's self protecting.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Okay. Tomorrow morning.

I'ma do this thing.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Yay, I'm excited you guys are joining us! I really liked having you guys as a support group, I hope it works for you both as well.

This weekend has been..rough. I was sick Saturday, though I did manage to dance and Ab Workout From Hell. Nothing Sunday and barely squeaked in the Ab workout before bed yesterday. My husband has been quite sick so I've been taking care of him instead.

And can I just say...I'm so bummed about the snow....I want to go jogging, I really do, but I can't seem to get it together to go out in the cold. I just, no, I don't want it.

Adam

Adam

Just got back from kickboxing; arms are jello. Wheee, jello. Look at that flubber fly!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

So I've taken time off since I did the Color Run. The pain was pretty bad - as far as a shin splint goes at least. One night I accidentally poked my leg really hard with my finger while trying to get the clip for my compression bandage to stay put. It was right in the place where the muscle was most sore. It immediately brought tears to my eyes. I would have yelled a few not-so-nice words if my children had not been sitting nearby. Ice, ibuprofen, compression, and rest. This week it is feeling better. So today I did some light yoga to get some weight-bearing exercise in as well as a good stretch. It felt great. I can't wait to get out on the road again.
I've really been beating myself up for not running most of the 5k. I'm so disappointed with myself. It's not like I slacked off or didn't make the effort. I know there are things I could have (and should have) done differently, but it was my first time so of course there will be room for improvement. I want to do another 5k, but I am dragging my heels about signing up for one because my performance does have me a bit gun shy.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm glad you're getting some yoga in - I was going to suggest it as a low-impact way to keep exercising. Definitely keep it up to get your shin feeling better. Do lots of stretches!!

It was your first 5K right? You can always look at it as a learning experience instead. As if you were just testing the waters of racing, and now that you know what it's you can plan better and improve upon what you did. I think you accomplished something awesome!! I mean, you got ready for a 5k and despite being injured, did it anyway. I know a lot of people who would've not even walked the race. So, I think it's a great learning experience for you. :)

Emrys

Emrys

Hell, you ran/walked/skipped a 5K and you weren't even being chased by an axe wielding maniac. You did fantastic!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Thanks you two. I tried telling myself all those things after the run, but I couldn't seem to get over not running it. Like I said in a previous post, last year at this time I would have laughed at anyone who suggested I sign up for a 5k. Now I've at least walked it without too much difficulty. I am going to try it again hopefully in the next few months. I have the itch for running now that I've made it a regular thing in my life.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dammit, I HAD a (much-delayed) progress pic to post... and it appears that the Internet ate it.

Oh well... I will post one tonight, while I'm working at my hotel off-duty gig.

Adam

Adam

I've lazied my way up to 204. Time to crack down.

Gusto

Gusto

Hey... hey guys...

I started exercising again.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I HAVE RETURNED.

I SHALL UPDATE THIS WEEKEND.

OR MONDAY.

<3

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Is it okay that I was kind of sad you disappeared?

As for my update...not much has changed. With the weather change, I'm having a really hard time eating healthy. It's like my body is all 'I must get fat now! WINTER'S COMING!'. It's...frustrating. But, I'm not giving up. I have been exercising more regularly - a lot of dancing. I just need to get back on the healthy eating wagon.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ooookay so I said I'd do this and didn't follow through, thanks to, well, life stuff.

Anyway.

Here are some shirtless photos of myself that I'm posting to the internet. What could go wrong.

Spoiler'd for size and also my ugly face is in the first one, so brace yourself.

SDC10404.JPG
SDC10387.JPG
I don't know how noticeable it is but I'm stupidly skinny and I don't like it. Also my endurance has gone down so I want to work on that. I don't have any numerical goals at the moment but I currently weigh 125ish lbs and I want to push that up (healthily) and I'd like more muscle/muscle tone.

So... Yeah.

I don't know why that second image is sideways. It's vertical on my camera and my computer. I... Oh well. Lean your head if you are so inclined.[DOUBLEPOST=1353193400][/DOUBLEPOST](God I really need to get drapes that aren't hideous.)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I was about to say I could post a photo of me shirtless if it would make you feel better, but...then I changed my mind.

But in all honesty, you don't look bad at all! I'm glad you're joining in....I feel like everyone's crazy external cheerleader, so if you ever need any encouragement, here is a pretty good place (I think) to get it. Good luck!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All right, guys. I need support here. I haven't been working out much at all in the last few weeks or even months. But I just did the 30-minute Stand Up YRG (on my feet the entire time). BANG!

Part of my problem is that I bought the YRG mp3s since I couldn't afford the DVDs. But I wanted to do the newer, updated workouts. Unfortunately, the audio just wasn't good enough because the instructions weren't clear. It was obvious they just took the audio from the videos without editing. So it was confusing about what I was supposed to be doing.

But tonight, I *ahem* "obtained" the videos. When I have the money, I'll legit buy them, but for now? I'm back in the game, baby. And seriously need to do it every day.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

You need support? You've got it my friend!

Is there anything I can do to help? Posting encouragement after you post? Tagging you in a post every once in a while to remind you to exercise and that it is so totally worth it?

Good luck! You're not alone in this, if it helps, woot!

Gusto

Gusto

How about negative reinforcement?

YOU'LL NEVER BE AS ATHLETIC AS SIM NICK!

Sorry bro. ;)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

How about negative reinforcement?

YOU'LL NEVER BE AS ATHLETIC AS SIM NICK!

Sorry bro. ;)

Emrys

Emrys

<gets out the pompoms and starts jumping up and down>
You can do it if you try! V-I-C-T-O-R-Y! Go, ThatNickGuy!
<puts away the pompoms and promises to never do that again>

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Friiiiday.
I managed to go swimming 4/5 days this week. I missed Tuesday because when I got there, the pool was locked and apparently there are two pools at the university? I didn't realise this, and was confused. By the time I figured out there was a second pool and they switch days, I was changed back into my street clothes and wouldn't have had time to get a good swim before work, so... you know.

But anyway.
Swam for about an hour each day.
Day 1: 3 consecutive lengths before my body was crying out for me to stop, and my heart was slamming against my chest.
Day 2: Pushed myself to 10 lengths by the end. Sooo slow by 5, lots of fighting to keep going.
Day 3: Pushed myself to 20.
Today: 40. Lengths.

I imagine this isn't much physical improvement, just psychological. Getting back my willpower, getting used to pushing myself again. But that in and of itself is satisfying.

And... Oh god my abs hurt. My everything hurts.

It's fantastic.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Guys!! I finally get to meet with the personal trainer!

I'm so excited and nervous....I'm expecting I'll be crying the days afterwards..

But anyway, yeah, Thursday is the day. I'll be sure to report, let you know how it was. Woot!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

So over the weekend we went to the beach. I spent 90% of the time in the water and got a nice little workout from it. However, it aggravated the shin splint which had been feeling good enough lately that I was thinking I should try a light run. Phooey.
Also, we got kettlebells from my parents for Christmas and I got a new pair of Brooks running shoes on sale for $60!!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

That is an awesome deal on the Brooks! New Balance are my forever girl when it comes to shoes, but the Brooks I had, I loved! Nice choice. =^^=

Also, I just want to say 'Woot kettlebells!' because odds are the company I work for made them, so thank your parents for supporting us. :)

Speaking about the shin splint though, have you done any strengthening/stretching exercises for it? My two favorites are to spell the alphabet with your foot, leg extended, only rotating at the ankle. And the other is to stand with just the balls of your feet on a step, your heels off, then you slowly dip your heels down below the step, hold for a few seconds then return. 10-15 times. And holding onto a rail so you don't fall over...

BananaHands

BananaHands

Just picked up this "Skinny Bastard" book? Figured I'd read it just because I've been looking to eat healthier.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Speaking about the shin splint though, have you done any strengthening/stretching exercises for it? My two favorites are to spell the alphabet with your foot, leg extended, only rotating at the ankle. And the other is to stand with just the balls of your feet on a step, your heels off, then you slowly dip your heels down below the step, hold for a few seconds then return. 10-15 times. And holding onto a rail so you don't fall over...
When I saw my doctor at the beginning of the month she gave me a sheet with exercises to do for it. The two you mentioned are on there as well as toe raises and a few resistance band exercises (we just happen to have a couple of those in the house since they are part of Mr. Wasabi's physical therapy for his leg). But of course I've been ignoring those and doing other exercises instead. lol

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

When I saw my doctor at the beginning of the month she gave me a sheet with exercises to do for it. The two you mentioned are on there as well as toe raises and a few resistance band exercises (we just happen to have a couple of those in the house since they are part of Mr. Wasabi's physical therapy for his leg). But of course I've been ignoring those and doing other exercises instead. lol
Ha, silly girl. :)

Well, if you're ever stuck sitting somewhere, I'd give those a go. I want your leg to get feeling better! Wanting to run and not being able to is one of the worst things...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I agree, LittleKagsin, I am very silly! And yesterday I found a 5k I could do in February if I get my derriere moving again so I have more incentive.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Okay. I'm ready. I've been stagnating since the wedding, and I'm ready to get serious. Illness is almost gone, which means that I've been able to do simple exercises in the house like light yoga, squats, lunges, supermans (men?), free weights, and the like.

166 lb. I'd been hovering around 160-163 for a year, but I refuse to hit 170 or higher again. I just want to get down to 150 pounds and reevaluate from there. This is what I look like now. I don't have the guts to take bra-only pics like Droll did, but I figured unflattering spandex would work...

Waist: 34" Hips: 43 1/2"

Goals:
1. Intensify my cardio workouts (I do at least 4 per week, no more than 6). I've been coasting instead of really working hard. This could be mean working harder on my elliptical (no lower than 4.0), longer jogging intervals when I go out walking, or finding more challenging Zumba routines.

2. Get back to tracking my food intake and serving myself in small bowls and salad plates. I've been eating healthy, just too much, and I've been aware of that for too long without taking action.

3. Water, water, water. Drinking all the time during this last sinus infection made me realize how little I *had* been drinking. I got in the habit of drinking more than 1 diet soda a day. I haven't had any in a week and a half, and I'm not craving them anymore. I'm content with my coffee for a caffeine fix, so I'll just stick with that. It's a habit I don't need. If I start wanting them again... well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Okay, I'll post again in about a month. Someone tag me if I forget please!!!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

You go girl!!

I need to get back on track with this....I'm so lazy..

Be sure to keep us posted!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I appreciate the brofist, LittleKagsin. In fact, you're one of the reasons I finally broke down and did this. The positivity in this thread is inspiring. :)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

D'aww, why thank you!

And I'll continue to be positive.

We can do it!!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

You go girl!!

I need to get back on track with this....I'm so lazy..
Same here. The shin splint turned into an excuse to be lazy and then the holidays came around with cookies and candy. Sloth and gluttony! I was going to drag the family out for another walk/run yesterday but it was raining so none of us felt like it. Yoga and fitness ball workout tonight though. The kids even have a fitness ball that is their size and it came with a poster of exercises they can do on it. They love it.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Let's do this my friends, let's get back on track!

I've been lazy (holidays, the cold), but enough. I worked too hard over the summer to slack off and lose all that I've gained (or should I say lost..?).

We got this yo.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Indeed. We are Amazons. We shall go forth and make this year our bitch.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

OORAH!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Rah rah rah!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Enough of the breakfast Lean Pockets. Time to go back to the Good Eats breakfast smoothie.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The positivity in this thread is inspiring. :)
FWIW, CG, I don't see anything at all wrong with your pictures. You might not be satisfied with your weight, but your proportions/figure look good. Even if you ignore any/all body dimensions (inches/lbs) and concentrate solely on bringing up your fitness level (which essentially just means working yourself into a sweat for 30min twice daily UNTIL it's not enough to make you sweat any more), you will be dumbstruck amazed at how much difference it will make in your life, in your bearing, and in your mood.

Can't wait.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

215. Bah. But it's better than 240.

I figure 5 months at 5 lbs a month and I'll be looking good come vacation time. :)

Adjusting my sleep schedule with regards to working overnights has helped. Now I'm not totally out of gas come "lunchtime" if I have the smoothie for breakfast.

Cajungal

Cajungal

FWIW, CG, I don't see anything at all wrong with your pictures. You might not be satisfied with your weight, but your proportions/figure look good. Even if you ignore any/all body dimensions (inches/lbs) and concentrate solely on bringing up your fitness level (which essentially just means working yourself into a sweat for 30min twice daily UNTIL it's not enough to make you sweat any more), you will be dumbstruck amazed at how much difference it will make in your life, in your bearing, and in your mood.

Can't wait.

--Patrick
Thanks, Pat. :) I can't wait til I'm 100% over this sinus infection and can really start pushing myself again.

I do think i have a generally good figure. What really frustrated me into doing this was my belly; it started to protrude again, more than I like. I'm already feeling good with my changes, but it's going to feel wonderful to work up a big sweat again each day.

Cajungal

Cajungal

215. Bah. But it's better than 240.
That is wonderful progress, DA! Congratulations. :)

Bones

Bones

oddly enough, I went from 255 to 230 in the span of august 31 to new years. I didnt do any extra exercise or anything, I just stopped drinking sweetened drinks and ate half as much as I normally did. apparently I actually have a strong metabolism, I just have to eat healthy.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's amazing what happens when you cut out soda.

I... have been a bad boy this last month or so. Tomorrow.... tomorrow I pay the piper. With interest.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

This week has sucked all around including finding the time/energy/willpower to exercise. Classes started again on Monday so I have homework and studying. I wanted to do yoga on Monday and missed the class. Tuesday I got caught up talking with some other moms when I went to pick up my son at school, sent my husband a text to start dinner which he never got, and ended up running late so I missed that yoga class too. Yesterday I was so pissed off I couldn't think straight, there was no yoga class, and I know a rage run would mean I'd hurt myself. And now I feel like I may be coming down with a cold or my allergies are acting up. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm sorry Wasabi!

Maybe you should give yourself 2 weeks to adjust to your new schedule, then see where you can fit in yoga/exercising? I hope you don't stay to frustrated.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This week has sucked all around including finding the time/energy/willpower to exercise. Classes started again on Monday so I have homework and studying. I wanted to do yoga on Monday and missed the class. Tuesday I got caught up talking with some other moms when I went to pick up my son at school, sent my husband a text to start dinner which he never got, and ended up running late so I missed that yoga class too. Yesterday I was so pissed off I couldn't think straight, there was no yoga class, and I know a rage run would mean I'd hurt myself. And now I feel like I may be coming down with a cold or my allergies are acting up. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I still haven't gone to the pool and have had a pretty horrible week myself. Rage and shame solidarity! Also I love this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm sorry Wasabi!

Maybe you should give yourself 2 weeks to adjust to your new schedule, then see where you can fit in yoga/exercising? I hope you don't stay to frustrated.
Thanks Kags. It's just the way things have gone this week. Today my sinuses don't hurt so I'm going to do some exercises at home with my daughter (she has her own fitness ball and likes to join in when I do calisthenics). There's a yoga class 8am on Saturday morning so as long as I can drag my rear end out of bed I am going to it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Thanks Kags. It's just the way things have gone this week. Today my sinuses don't hurt so I'm going to do some exercises at home with my daughter (she has her own fitness ball and likes to join in when I do calisthenics). There's a yoga class 8am on Saturday morning so as long as I can drag my rear end out of bed I am going to it.
You got this!

Me... I was doing so well for the past 2 weeks, but I fucked up royally today. It's Mardi Gras season, which means king cake. They brought one in today for a teacher's luncheon, and I just took way too much. On top of that, I hadn't been eating healthy portions today or yesterday at all. I fell back into my habit of eating whatever I felt like eating and then exercising a little as some lame-ass compromise.

So I got home, turned on my Zumba CD, and got to it. I'm taking a quick breather, because I'm pretty sure my heart is about to explode. But damn it, I'm determined to make up for those extra calories and then get back to normal portions at dinner time. Jake wants to go out. I'm not going to go to one extreme and order a side salad and nothing else... but I'm going to be sensible and not stuff myself. But we're not going ANYWHERE until I do another half hour of Zumba and then 2 miles on the elliptical... then maybe some core.

Gusto

Gusto

I gotta (read: wanna) get rid of my little bit of unsightly belly fat before I go to this wedding next month! Any tips for sheddding a couple unwanted inches?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Eat cleanly. And by cleanly, I mean be smart about your eating. Stock up on foods that help your burn fat; oatmeal/brown rice, green tea, lentils (these are a SUPER good source for iron), hot peppers and salmon.

I can also give you the Ab Workout From Hell, if you want.

Gusto

Gusto

Eat cleanly. And by cleanly, I mean be smart about your eating. Stock up on foods that help your burn fat; oatmeal/brown rice, green tea, lentils (these are a SUPER good source for iron), hot peppers and salmon.

I want, yes.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Okay, when I get home I'll write it out for you and send it your way.

Gusto

Gusto

Okay, when I get home I'll write it out for you and send it your way.
Thanks, workbro!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

1) I have been eating these foods a lot without knowing this. Crazy.

2) Can I trouble you for the Ab Workout from Hell also?

Gusto

Gusto

I need some fuckin' rice and oatmeal.

The rest I can manage.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

2) Can I trouble you for the Ab Workout from Hell also?
For sure! I'll tag you when I post it. :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hero! Heroine, I guess. Whatever. Thanks :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

That made a big change for me: eating with purpose. Finding foods that gave you long-lasting energy and nutrients, and eating less of those things that effect my blood sugar negatively or just don't hold up well on their own. (An example of that is salad with just lettuce and tomato. Throw an egg or an avocado half in there, and I'm good to go... but I tried just light greens for a while for lunch and it killed me. It was a silly thing to do.)

I LOVE lentils. Those things are a miracle. I always have dried beans and lentils in the house. I just made a 14-quart Magnalite pot FULL of white bean and tasso soup, and it cost me something like 20$ to make!

Gared

Gared

That made a big change for me: eating with purpose. Finding foods that gave you long-lasting energy and nutrients, and eating less of those things that effect my blood sugar negatively or just don't hold up well on their own. (An example of that is salad with just lettuce and tomato. Throw an egg or an avocado half in there, and I'm good to go... but I tried just light greens for a while for lunch and it killed me. It was a silly thing to do.)

I LOVE lentils. Those things are a miracle. I always have dried beans and lentils in the house. I just made a 14-quart Magnalite pot FULL of white bean and tasso soup, and it cost me something like 20$ to make!
I really wish I could convince my wife that bean soup can be awesome. I might finally be making some headway on my effort, but the stuff her mom made while she was growing up was so horrible that she has an unnatural prejudice against bean soups. She did really like the black bean with bacon soup that I made a couple weeks back though, so there is some hope.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I really wish I could convince my wife that bean soup can be awesome. I might finally be making some headway on my effort, but the stuff her mom made while she was growing up was so horrible that she has an unnatural prejudice against bean soups. She did really like the black bean with bacon soup that I made a couple weeks back though, so there is some hope.
Mannnn they are so good! Especially in the winter. I blended up the beans and threw 2 pieces of chopped up tasso in there. Delicious![DOUBLEPOST=1358797686][/DOUBLEPOST]I have a coworker whose husband and son hate beans, and she LOVES them. Every time I make up a batch of pintos or white beans and rice, I bring her a little container.

Gared

Gared

I agree. There's nothing quite so good in winter as a nice, thick, smoky bean soup.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Gusto and Chad Sexington, is just a write up of the work out enough, or do you need visuals?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I can probably go from a write-up, but when I injure myself I will be sure to blame you.

Gusto

Gusto

I can probably go from a write-up, but when I injure myself I will be sure to blame you.
Hahahaha yeah this, visuals would be great but don't knock yourself out.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Haha, k, it'll probably take me a little while, but I've started on it. So, I'll tag ya both when it's finished. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Haha, k, it'll probably take me a little while, but I've started on it. So, I'll tag ya both when it's finished. :)
You are a doll, thanks a bunch. :)

Gusto

Gusto

I've been having all kindsa dreams lately about women responding postively OR negatively to my body and it's recent capacity to hold fat!

:( This is stressful.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Now I'm having problems with my right ankle popping/cracking with each step and pain in my right foot. I'm throwing in the towel. I've tried doing different intervals, stretches, strengthening exercises, different types of shoes, compression socks and calf sleeves, advice from my doctor, from other runners I know, Runner's World magazine... and on and on. I'm tired of getting hurt when I finally start to feel like I'm getting back in a groove.
So I'm going to try something else. At least for now. Because I like to run and don't really want to give it up totally.

fade

fade

This has been my fitness plan for the past month:
MWF: 1.5 hours shotokan karate at the Y. New sensei is brutal, too. I never practiced in a dojo where I'm out of breath and covered in sweat by the end of the first 15 minutes.
STThSa: Run 5K, working up

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Awwwwwshit y'all... Y membership obtained.

Shit's about to get real. No more of this faffing around at the park shit. Time to start SQUATS

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Are there pictures of you faffing, Officer_Charon ?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I sure hope this isn't slang for fapping

Emrys

Emrys

Well, you have to really dig for them but he'll probably sell some to you for $9.99.

(I'm kidding. Oh, please, don't hit!)

Adam

Adam

Despite dropping from 230 to 200 last year, I bounced back up to 210 earlier this month. I'm down to 206 again, but the target as always remains 190.

dill616

dill616

Despite dropping from 230 to 200 last year, I bounced back up to 210 earlier this month. I'm down to 206 again, but the target as always remains 190.

Get you some, good sir. *nods head*

Last night I did an hour yoga class and, despite slipping on my new mat, I think it went well! My back feels better than it has since I went to physical therapy. This will be repeated.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Erg. Holidays and DC trip got me damn near 200 again. Jumped back on the MyFitness train and am working out five days a week until I destroy my goal.

Adam

Adam

Daaaamn bro, I gotta defeat BananaHands.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Daaaamn bro, I gotta defeat BananaHands.

Adam

Adam

BananaHands

BananaHands

I checked 'thinspo' for a cheesy thing to reply to, now I'm just slightly intrigued by this 'gap' they all speak of.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Faffing is British slang for messing around, not doing something seriously. I've just been running 1.5 milers, not really getting anything done, and over the holidays, I paid for it.

Currently 245. Goal is 200 (or 18% body fat, whichever comes first)

Not eye-candy yet, but...

Initial photo

Adam

Adam

I would take a pic but I don't know what kind of facial expression to make. do I smile?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Only if you like what you see. :unibrow:

Adam

Adam

Only if you like what you see. :unibrow:
DUCKFACE.
I don't know whose answer was worse.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Here you go, Gusto, Chad Sexington and BErt:

So my explanation wasn't making sense to me, so I made a stupid video instead.

Okay, what you're going to need is 2 slippery papers (I use ads cause they're the most slippery), stick them beneath your feet and get in to the plank position. I'm not going to lie, you need to have good form with this. You can't let your butt sag or stick it up in the air. It will hurt your back if you do that,and we don't want that. What you want is to pull your abs in and up - so they're tightened.

There are 4 moves and you're going to do each one for 50 seconds, then a 10 second 'rest' inbetween each move. The 10 seconds you hold in the plank position.

First move, slide your feet forward, towards your chest, but no bend in your legs. So, you make a little A-frame. Then slide back. 50 seconds.
Second move, slide your feet, knees together, towards one elbow. Bend in the legs. Slide back and switch sides. 50 seconds.
Third move, slide your feet towards your chest, knees bent. 50 seconds.
Fourth move, slide your feet/knees to your chest, then spread-eagle and slide them back into plank position. Repeat. 50 seconds.

Remember, it's all about control and good form. Do not let yourself start to sag, it's about quality reps, not quantity. Always have your abs engaged, tuck them in and up.

Do as many full sets as you can (I only do 2 - I do this exercise at the end of my workouts.)

Adam

Adam

Uhh...

GIF REMOVED, NO CREEPIN FROM THIS GUY!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

:unibrow:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

LittleKagsin Why thank you kindly! That should be tons of fun :p

BErt

I...am going to kill myself attempting that. Can't wait, thanks! :)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

You're welcome gents! Good luck! I hope it burns your abs as much as it does mine. :heart:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Fair warning! There is a no creeping rule on this thread (obviously Adam is goofin' and totally fine) but just in case I felt I should elaborate!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hey, Kags, I just wanted to say, you have a great--
Fair warning! There is a no creeping rule on this thread (obviously Adam is goofin' and totally fine) but just in case I felt I should elaborate!
Personality. What?! WHAT?!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Jeeeeeesus.... mucho respect, Kags... I don't think I can do that first one...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Jeeeeeesus.... mucho respect, Kags... I don't think I can do that first one...
C'mon Officer! You and me! Race to the greatest abs! See you February 28th, 2013.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Heh, you guys are funny! Thanks for havin' my back BananaHands.

Thanks Officer_Charon! :) I bet if you give it some time and practice, you could too!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Oh, I was protecting Chad Sexington.

Goddamn that ass.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Oh, I was protecting Chad Sexington.

Goddamn that ass.
If things don't work out with that girl... :unibrow:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

C'mon Officer! You and me! Race to the greatest abs! See you February 28th, 2013.
Shiiiiiiiit.... you gotta find mine under the protective "all natural kevlar weave" I've got going on...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Shiiiiiiiit.... you gotta find mine under the protective "all natural kevlar weave" I've got going on...
I believe I said I'll see you February 28th! No excuses!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

..... Fair enough!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm scared about my weigh-in. I'm eating well, and I'm active, but I don't feel very different. I'm scared to check my progress, too.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm scared about my weigh-in. I'm eating well, and I'm active, but I don't feel very different. I'm scared to check my progress, too.
Even if there's no change -or worse! negative change- you'll have faced that. That'll feel better than fretting over it.

Plus we'll all still love you.

Well, probably.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Even if there's no change -or worse! negative change- you'll have faced that. That'll feel better than fretting over it.

Plus we'll all still love you.

Well, probably.
If I weren't in Tapatalk I'd hug you. :) Jake talked me down after some hardcore self-loathing last night. He reminded me to focus on the good--on how far I've come. Then, since he's a loving husband, he squeezed and complimented my butt. :p So I'm feeling better, but still nervous. Guess all I can do is keep trying. Thanks. :)

Adam

Adam

Ugh.

ugh.jpg

Very difficult to post that online.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ugh.

Respect. Never be ashamed, mate.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

*HUGSS*

Sometimes not feeling different is just fine, as long as you aren't regressing. The most important thing is that you don't give up! I think that's what happens to most people, they don't see instant results, so they give up.

I'm glad you're feeling better, I just wanted to give you some extra encouragement. You got this! Do your best to stay positive and keep on keepin' on. :)

Bones

Bones

Ugh.

dude, YOU CAN DO IT!

Faffing is British slang for messing around, not doing something seriously. I've just been running 1.5 milers, not really getting anything done, and over the holidays, I paid for it.

Currently 245. Goal is 200 (or 18% body fat, whichever comes first)

Not eye-candy yet, but...

Initial photo
dude, you are built like a brick shithouse, all of you are in such good shape! man I would kill to be 200 too, I am still a hefty 226, after coming down from my high of 255.

Cajungal

Cajungal

*HUGSS*

Sometimes not feeling different is just fine, as long as you aren't regressing. The most important thing is that you don't give up! I think that's what happens to most people, they don't see instant results, so they give up.

I'm glad you're feeling better, I just wanted to give you some extra encouragement. You got this! Do your best to stay positive and keep on keepin' on. :)
Thanks! :D I'm jogging and jumping rope again today... And the day after that, etc! Sunday is my day of rest, but I am really on a roll now.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Did my favorite quick, all-over workout a few days ago. Star jumps irritated my shin. FINE! I'm doing abs today. I can't see how that will hurt my leg :mad:

BananaHands

BananaHands

MOTIVATIOOOOON

Cajungal

Cajungal

Holy shit... I lost 3 of those big globs at the bottom... I'm superman.

Adam

Adam

An hour of kickboxing at lunch working out some ang.....aggression. One of the guys I go with emails me afterwards "I feel so dirty, I went to McDonalds afterwards.

Let's do the math folks:

Vigorous martial arts, 45minutes: 666 calories burnt
Big Mac, large fries, diet coke: 1100 calories gained

Don't do that!

Bowielee

Bowielee

BananaHands who did your new avatar? It's awesome!

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands who did your new avatar? It's awesome!
Took!
She's the Squirrel Girl in the Marvel Cosplay thread.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Holy crap, it took a week of just going to the gym four days and counting calories on myfitness to get back down to 193.4.

So yeah, I 'm back to where I was before the holidays!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Woo! :D

figmentPez

figmentPez

Took!
She's the Squirrel Girl in the Marvel Cosplay thread.
When are you going to talk Took into joining Halforums?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

When are you? :D

BananaHands

BananaHands

I know! We need to recruit Kags to sweet-talk her into joining.

figmentPez

figmentPez

When are you? :D
When I learn to talk to pretty girls, besides Kags, without shoving my foot in my mouth on a regular basis.

EDIT: and to stay on topic. I need to get back to having a goal more than just not losing ground. I've been a little nervous about posting pics taken with my new webcam, but I'll try and face that this weekend.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I did cave and drink some Coke Zero, which stinks because I'm trying to avoid aspartame.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I went jogging this morning for the first time in at least a year, probably closer to year and a half. I'm not quite going on the Jared diet, but there's a Subway a mile from work/home that I'm making myself walk to if I want to eat fast food.

figmentPez

figmentPez

2013_02_01 Fitness Mugshot D _ Front and Side _ small.jpg

Here's the update. I'm currently about 185 and honestly I don't know how I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I can't be objective about my appearance because what I see in the mirror fluctuates wildly depending more on my mood than my body. BMI says I'm overweight by at least 15 pounds, but I'm pretty sure it's not that bad. On the other hand, I don't know if I'm at a healthy weight or if I should try to drop under 180 again.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Are you doing a BMI calculator online? Because those things are unreliable. You're looking good. If you're not sure, maybe a doctor could steer you in the right direction. :) Most importantly, how do you feel?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Most importantly, how do you feel?
How I feel varies greatly by the day, sometimes by the hour. At the moment I feel fat and unloveable, but I'm hoping that will pass. More thoughts on my Tumblr. It doesn't help that I'm still getting over the cold/flu I I had at the beginning of the year. I'm still fighting a sinus infection, or something.

Cajungal

Cajungal

How I feel varies greatly by the day, sometimes by the hour. At the moment I feel fat and unloveable, but I'm hoping that will pass. More thoughts on my Tumblr. It doesn't help that I'm still getting over the cold/flu I I had at the beginning of the year. I'm still fighting a sinus infection, or something.
Ah I meant more physically than emotionally. For example, do you feel more energetic or like things that used to be difficult are now easy. And for the record, you goober, you are cute and loveable. Can't say I've never felt that way, though. Jake had to talk me out of a major self-loathing spiral this week.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ah I meant more physically than emotionally. For example, do you feel more energetic or like things that used to be difficult are now easy. And for the record, you goober, you are cute and loveable. Can't say I've never felt that way, though. Jake had to talk me out of a major self-loathing spiral this week.
Well, obviously I feel a hell of a lot more capable than I was 9 months ago, when I was so out of shape I couldn't walk for more than a couple minutes without being out of breath. I don't feel as healthy as I was back in September, though, and I'm hoping that's mostly because I'm still fighting off infection.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I went jogging this morning for the first time in at least a year, probably closer to year and a half. I'm not quite going on the Jared diet, but there's a Subway a mile from work/home that I'm making myself walk to if I want to eat fast food.
Keep it up man. Cardio has so many other benefits besides weight loss too.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Since my ankle and shin have decided I am not going to run without some sort of problem cropping up, I have decided to look for an alternative and similar physical activity that is not going to involve me purchasing much more than shoes. GENTLEMEN (and ladies of course)! BEHOLD!

The Half Marathon Walking Program!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Felt well enough to walk today. Before I know it, I'm running for 5 minutes at a time. Haven't been able to do that for a while! I officially dont care if my weigh-in isn't great tomorrow. I can run and my arms are hella swole... When I flex them, anyway. Yoga time!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Getting back into cardio! Feels good! :)

Just got a happy meal (albiet no meat). Feels bad. :(

But hey, burned 597 calories sooooo....

Cajungal

Cajungal

NICE. Keep up the good work. :)

Well... I don't have pictures or measurements, but no weight loss. I'm exactly where I was last month. I certainly feel better. Eating more veggies and fruits, I can tackle more challenging exercises... doesn't help that it's King Cake season. But I'm not discouraged. I'll do new measurements this week and see if there are any changes there.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Like a dumbass, I overloaded my first day in the gym. The next day, in addition to being sore (because not only did I overload my squats, I didn't do them full ROM, so my quads paid the price), I came down with that crud that's been floating around. Being unable to breath in bed and unable to walk without looking like an amputee trying out prosthetics = bad ju-ju for a workout.

Starting again tomorrow. Without the testosterone-influenced stupidity.

Cajungal

Cajungal

At least you were enthusiastic about it. Sorry you ended up going overboard and getting sick. Good luck with Operation Moderation. ;)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Like a dumbass, I overloaded my first day in the gym. The next day, in addition to being sore (because not only did I overload my squats, I didn't do them full ROM, so my quads paid the price), I came down with that crud that's been floating around. Being unable to breath in bed and unable to walk without looking like an amputee trying out prosthetics = bad ju-ju for a workout.

Starting again tomorrow. Without the testosterone-influenced stupidity.

I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago.

"Oh yeah, I can run for an hour at this really fast pace no problem. I haven't run in months but who cares?"

I paid the price dearly for that (I was limping around for nearly 4 days)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

My goodness you beautiful people, don't hurt yourselves!

I know it's hard to not over-do it, especially when you haven't done anything for a while, but I just want to encourage that it's all about how you spend your work-out time. You don't have to run the fastest you've ever run, or lift the whole gym. You just need to be consistent. And remembering you're there to work your body, not kill it. Be smart with how you exercise; up the incline on a treadmill instead of the speed (it burns more calories that way and works more muscles...just so you know), take it one day at a time.

You guys are so awesome for working so hard, everyone is working so hard. I just want you to know that you all have my support. I back you 100% and don't want you to get discouraged for to long for any reason. You got this. I know you do.

And, I just want to encourage that you stretch after a workout. It may seem silly, but it will do wonders for you in the 'sore' department. Will help those poor muscles recoup. You can even do a short 5 minute stretch.

Anyway, you guys are awesome! Keep it up!! :heart:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

So motivated.

BRB, squatting Jupiter. *grins*

In all seriousness, I went back today, did it better.

Sq: 185
DL: 145
Press: 95.

Squats have correct form now. Press is the OVERHEAD press, standing, NOT benchpress. Deadlifts could possibly be better, but I'm trying not to be stupid...

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Atta boy! Man....officer...?

Atta O_C! :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

Baaaaaaam.

Being back on the workout horse is good.

Bones

Bones

all the shoveling snow and chasing problems at work has me down another few pounds this week. 224.6, my god I might actually break the 220 mark.

Bones

Bones

today begins my journey to the darkside, I have aspirations to begin a daily exercise regime, to start a simple 20 minutes on the treadmill every morning, we go from there. today was the first day of my journey....

BErt

Running my first ever 5K race tomorrow. I don't know why but I'm really nervous about it. I ran as much as I could in the fall but haven't been able to get out lately with the cold weather, so maybe I just don't feel ready. :oops:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Running my first ever 5K race tomorrow. I don't know why but I'm really nervous about it. I ran as much as I could in the fall but haven't been able to get out lately with the cold weather, so maybe I just don't feel ready. :oops:
You can do it!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Way to go Bones! Good luck. Just remember to take it one day at a time. You got this.

That's awesome BErt! I hope it all goes well. I wish you luck! =^^=

BErt

So, how did it go?
Just got home.

Times.jpg

Bah! I didn't have a ton of expectations, but I was really hoping to come in under 30 minutes. At least I have something to work towards now.

Overall it was a lot of fun, and I'll be signing up for more in the near future. I'll probably wait until it's a little warmer next time. :D

Bones

Bones

Way to go Bones! Good luck. Just remember to take it one day at a time. You got this.

That's awesome BErt! I hope it all goes well. I wish you luck! =^^=
I had to go into work this morning, so it sucked waking up extra early to fit it in.

fade

fade

Still keeping up my workout. Up to a month on running. I was running a lot last year, but hurt my knees and took a break, which snowballed. I started slower this time, doing the Couch to 5K on tuesdays, thursdays, and sundays. Saturdays are 10-20 miles (sometimes a little more) on my bike. Mondays and wednesdays are 1.5 hours at karate. If you've ever done traditional shotokan with a good sensei, you know this is more than enough. Probably burns way more than the 5K runs.

Bones

Bones

Still keeping up my workout. Up to a month on running. I was running a lot last year, but hurt my knees and took a break, which snowballed. I started slower this time, doing the Couch to 5K on tuesdays, thursdays, and sundays. Saturdays are 10-20 miles (sometimes a little more) on my bike. Mondays and wednesdays are 1.5 hours at karate. If you've ever done traditional shotokan with a good sensei, you know this is more than enough. Probably burns way more than the 5K runs.
wow man I barely last 20 minutes on the treadmill, you must be built like a cheetah.

Adam

Adam

Haven't eaten for a couple days, does that count for weight loss?!

Bones

Bones

shit man, sorry to hear it, please do eat something, anything. I know I dont say it often, but all of you are so awesome and I dont want to see any of you suffer.

Adam

Adam

PlentyOfFish is cheering me up, heh.

Bones

Bones

that reminds me, "you know Bones there are plenty of fish in the sea!" me:"except for one thing, I am in the middle of desert and the nearest ocean is 1000 miles in the other direction!"

BananaHands

BananaHands

Arg, Adam I'm sorry.

You could force yourself to do some cardio, get those endorphins flowing and keep you distracted. Maybe get even MORE sexier than you already are. :unibrow:[DOUBLEPOST=1360773392][/DOUBLEPOST]
PlentyOfFish is cheering me up, heh.

phil

phil

Two days in a row doing at least an hour at the gym. My goal is to go a full week before taking a day off. I've been going after work which is nice because it's late enough I have the place almost to myself. The problem though is that since I haven't eaten for 8 hours I'm hungry and am going to eat before bed which is bad. Hopefully I can shift some things around and start going in the early morning.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So...

A six-pack of Diet Dr Pepper doesn't last a day at my house. Could be a contributing factor in why my mom is having knee replacement surgery next week, with the other knee and both shoulders not too far behind. Not to mention the gout.

While I have the motivation, and still have full range of motion, I'm looking at alternatives. I already swapped out the Coke Zero I have with lunch at work for tea. Usually unsweetened black tea, but as they were out this time, I went with the sweetened with evaporated cane juice version instead. (That's 120 calories in a 16 ounce bottle. Regular coke is ~187 calories for the same 16 ounces. Sigh.) The snack time diet coke was replaced with diet ginger ale. Not all that great of a switch, huh?

I dropped fully sweetened sodas over 10 years ago. Now's the time to find suitable replacements for the replacements. Like maybe making a big batch of ice tea on my days off, and some simple syrup as a separate sweetener? (Good Eats suggested augmenting the syrup with lemon and mint. ;))

Adam

Adam

Crystal Light works for me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Soda water and fruit juice!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Just a little splash for flavor.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So...

A six-pack of Diet Dr Pepper doesn't last a day at my house. Could be a contributing factor in why my mom is having knee replacement surgery next week, with the other knee and both shoulders not too far behind. Not to mention the gout.

While I have the motivation, and still have full range of motion, I'm looking at alternatives. I already swapped out the Coke Zero I have with lunch at work for tea. Usually unsweetened black tea, but as they were out this time, I went with the sweetened with evaporated cane juice version instead. (That's 120 calories in a 16 ounce bottle. Regular coke is ~187 calories for the same 16 ounces. Sigh.) The snack time diet coke was replaced with diet ginger ale. Not all that great of a switch, huh?

I dropped fully sweetened sodas over 10 years ago. Now's the time to find suitable replacements for the replacements. Like maybe making a big batch of ice tea on my days off, and some simple syrup as a separate sweetener? (Good Eats suggested augmenting the syrup with lemon and mint. ;))
Look up SodaStream. Just splash some fruit juice in there like Cajungal and it'll end up paying for itself with what you save on buying soda.

phil

phil

Day 3 of 7 down! Went with my buddy who is also trying to lose weight. We have plans to go tomorrow where he's going to lift with me.

Overall good and satisfying workout. I had to stop 15 minutes in though to use the restroom though. I need to he sure that I do that before so I keep my heart rate up longer.

Gusto

Gusto

Here you go, Gusto, Chad Sexington and BErt:
*snip*
Thanks Kags. :) I'll give it a shot tonight.

BananaHands

BananaHands

You know, I gotta say how proud I am of you all. Some of you have been with this thread since the beginning and are rockin' it.

Gusto

Gusto

You know, I gotta say how proud I am of you all. Some of you have been with this thread since the beginning and are rockin' it.
I haven't really stuck with this thread or with exercising but VERY recently (like within the last 2-3 months) have been holding onto weight as opposed to instantly metabolizing it.

Trying to form some better habits to keep it from forming a skinny-guy potbelly. :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

Woah, just jumped back to the beginning of this thread...

So yeah, I started this thread at 213 and am now sitting at 192, which is just awesome. At my worst was in 2010 and I was 225 and I can't even remember how I even let it get that bad.

Gusto

Gusto

Hehe, I've gained ~12 pounds since the beginning of this thread, which was kinda my goal, but now my goal is to make sure I can control it and hopefully make it look sexy. ;)

Maybe it's time I uploaded some new pics.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hehe, I've gained ~12 pounds since the beginning of this thread, which was kinda my goal, but now my goal is to make sure I can control it and hopefully make it look sexy. ;)

Maybe it's time I uploaded some new pics.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :unibrow:

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah bro.

In fact, PICTURES OF EVERYONE.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I have been doing more (but still not swimming enough!) and just haven't been consistent enough to make a good update. I regret not making clearer goals when I started/keeping a regular plan. Gonna try to change that.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Okay, here we go.

Weight: 192.2
BMI: 25.3
BF%: 19%

A lot of the weight I lost in my hips and legs actually. Went down from a 36 to a 33 inch waist. Could totally use more lifting (DO U EVEN LIFT). But yeah. I guess I can pull off those straight leg fits instead of those loose/relaxed ones.

Still rockin' the vegetarian thing. I've also been focusing more on doing a lot less processed foods too. Still, I can't break up with my girl Pizza and as long as I've been consistently going to the gym and eating healthy, I see no problem occasionally having a slice or two. There's also great vegan pizza near me, so I feel that's OKAY.

Been really pushing for cardio these last few weeks, mainly because I've been somewhat lazy when it comes to lifting and not wanting to stand in a sea of bros near the free weights.

Could use more sleep though.

phil

phil

4 of 7

Lunges, squats and leg lifts. I had to use the rail to make it down the stairs. Feels good but also horrible.

Tomorrow's going to he a long day.

Edit: damn bannahands.

I mean daaaaaaaaayum

phil

phil

Its gonna be hard to get to the gym today. I'm so behind on getting my place ready to move. I need to go home, spend at least two hours working on that before I can let myself do something else. I still really want to make my goal though because its easy for keep to talk myself out of stuff but hard to talk myself into keeping good habits up.

update:

Basically did the opposite of working out today. Went to deliver some healthy food to a friend of mine who is also working out with me. I've noticed how he's been having trouble eating decently, so I got him some stuff. I ended up staying a bit and visiting. We were watching Happy Endings and one thing led to another and we ended up....having pizza.

Bones

Bones

my father, a certified personal trainer, showed me some simple weight lifting exercises last week. Today I added every other day weight lifting to my regime, in addition to running for 30 minutes twice a day. long story/short, oh my god ma limbs are jelly. did I mess something up?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

No. I think it's pretty normal to jelly-fy when you first start exercsing. I mean, you're body isn't used to it yet. And really, my limbs still go jelly and I've been exercising for a while now.

You're doing right things, I promise!!

Bones

Bones

Bones: However I am going to have to punish my body today for my minds indiscretions yesterday.

Raidrinn: Now you sound like a religious nutcase...

Bones: Hey we all need a god sometime, it just so happens my body is a temple and the great and powerful barbell demands a blood sacrifice!
....sweet mama, did that just exit my mouth?....

Raidrinn: well played...also yes....

Bones: HAHAHAHAHAHA, is it sad that my masochism has led me to a runners high from punishing my body with exercise? Wait, don't answer that...

this folks is why getting me to exercise was a bad idea...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

It needs to stop raining cats and dogs here. I can't get out to walk!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

As of yesterday, shortly after getting in from the gym. Still no weight loss :rage:, but my lifting has had exponential increases... mostly. I haven't been running for a little bit, which makes my signing up for a 5k next Saturday perhaps a little optimistic.

Then again, it's in memory of an officer who recently died from colon cancer, who happened to be a friend of mine. I sorta can't not run it.

Bones

Bones

man I wish I could like live near you OC, you would be a good kick in the ass training mentor w/e for my lifting and running, all my friends here make fun of me for being fat, I am weak as shit and can only run for about an hour at a time. I am told you are suppose to be able to bench your own body weight but that feels nuts. I am benching 125 right now as a beginner and to bench my body weight I would have to bench 225.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Do yourself a favor.

Get yourself a copy of Starting Strength. I got mine on my Kindle, and read it cover to cover twice before I entered the weight room. I was inspired by a friend of mine who was 315 or 325 last year. He just hit 220, and is starting to resemble some kind of balding Viking.

This is NOT EVERYTHING you will EVER need in a weightlifting guide. What it does is lay a SOLID foundation for everything you do that comes afterwords. It is intended for the weightlifting novice. He explains the big 5 main barbell exercises, how to do them correctly, how your body should look as you perform each one, at each stage.

I'm still only a couple weeks in, and I'm starting to see/feel the difference. I have done 4 of the 5 exercises so far. I can tell you now that I'm still not certain I could bench my bodyweight, but I don't care at this point. Because each workout, I add another 5, 10, or 20 pounds onto my exercises, and my gains keep increasing. And if they don't increase, that's reassuring, because that means I've gotten out of the complete newbie phase, and the fun stuff can begin.

You have it in you to do great things, and being bigger, you actually have it easier with regards to weight-lifting: your body has already shown it can store the energy it will need. Now all you need to do is make your body work.

Don't worry about how you look in the weight room. Study the exercises. Don't rush yourself. It doesn't matter if the guy who came before you slapped 3 45s on each side of the bar before he hit the rack, and made it look easy. It doesn't matter if the woman next to you does more squats with a heavier weight, while you're struggling with a couple of dimes on the bar.

What matters is that you keep trying, and keep doing the exercise RIGHT. The gains will come. The fat will melt, if you're working hard. Your body WILL adapt, you WILL increase your gains, and in the span of a few WEEKS you will see drastic improvements.

Just imagine what you'll see after a year.

Shakey

Shakey

Here's an excel sheet that helps you figure out what you should be lifting and when with the starting strength workout.

Attachments

fade

fade

Oh so you're back into running, feeling pretty good. Here, have some achille's tendonitis.

Bones

Bones

so been lifting and running on the elliptical, gained 10 lbs >_> I have been eating good and sleeping good. BOOM, I have no idea how it happened, only thing I can figure is muscle mass gain from the addition of lifting.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

so been lifting and running on the elliptical, gained 10 lbs >_> I have been eating good and sleeping good. BOOM, I have no idea how it happened, only thing I can figure is muscle mass gain from the addition of lifting.

Have you lost size? Remember, absolute weight means next to nothing as muscle gains and other changes can push your weight up while your figure gets lean and mean.

When I was at my physical peak 2 years ago I was 185 lbs. Now after slacking off for two years I'm 170lbs. Size wise I am a lot more flabby and have a much bigger waist then I did when I was 185lbs.

Bones

Bones

well yeah I did gain another inch on my belt in the last week. I should say that my belt can cinch tighter and my arms circumfrance is noticably large to people(people have noticed muscle mass gain)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

"they" say that muscle builds faster than fat burns. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement, however.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I've actually never heard that. I've only ever heard that muscle weighs more than fat. I do know that muscle takes up less room, in general, than fat. So even if you aren't losing weight you can still be thinner than you were before.

Also, I just want to apologize. I've completely fallen by the wayside on this. I'm trying so hard to get back in to the swing of things, but...I'm really struggling. I do exercise twice a week with the personal trainer, but my eating habits have just gone to junk food and..ugh. I'm having a hard time.

I won't give up. I've worked to hard to do that to myself. This is just a bump in the road.

drifter

drifter

It's actually pretty hard to put on muscle. For a noob who is training hard, you can maybe put on 2 lbs of muscle a month. 1 lb/month is more normal.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've been ignoring this thread too, Kags. Really, I think I'm just going to ride this burnt-out feeling for a few weeks. After I relaxed about it a bit, I naturally stopped stressing about what I'm eating and how much I'm exercising. I just do it. I feel pretty good, too. I've splurged a bit, but it was easy to get back on track. If anything good comes of this, I'll report in.

Bones

Bones

It's actually pretty hard to put on muscle. For a noob who is training hard, you can maybe put on 2 lbs of muscle a month. 1 lb/month is more normal.
dude I have no idea where the weight came from, I checked my weight a few times on different scales and they were all roughly the same. I figure it is not muscle weight, and cant explain the rapid gain from one week to the next. if anyone has any real clue that would be super, because I am lost on how I managed to gain back a months worth of work in one week without eating different or exercising less. I am trying to keep at it, but if i start rapidly gaining weight despite actual work in towards being healthier it might be a death knell for me.

drifter

drifter

Well, a person's weight can fluctuate about ~5 lbs day to day, depending on fluid retention, bodily waste, and glycogen reserves. Depending on what clothes you're wearing and how much you've eaten recently, I could see an 8-10 lb swing if you happened to catch yourself at both ends. Did you weigh yourself at the same time of the day, and did you happen to weigh yourself after working out at one time, but not the other?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Would there be interest for people in this thread to create another thread re: healthy eating? We could share recipes, etc. I'd be eager to learn how to eat well cheaply (I eat decently now, but learning is good!), and share in the challenge of ameliorating our dietary habits.

drifter

drifter

r/eatcheapandhealthy
r/fitmeals

Also, I've mentioned this before, but eatthismuch.com. It's a pretty flexible meal planner; you input how much you want to eat, what you want to eat, and how often, and it spits out meals (with recipes) for you. If you sign up, I believe you can add your own recipes. You can also adjust macros, among other options. If you have problems figuring out what to eat, this might be for you.

Bones

Bones

Well, a person's weight can fluctuate about ~5 lbs day to day, depending on fluid retention, bodily waste, and glycogen reserves. Depending on what clothes you're wearing and how much you've eaten recently, I could see an 8-10 lb swing if you happened to catch yourself at both ends. Did you weigh yourself at the same time of the day, and did you happen to weigh yourself after working out at one time, but not the other?
I weigh myself in the morning, after working out normally, but the most recent time was last night on a lark, while talking to my pops about a party I went to over the weekend, I appreciate it, my mind is put at ease by this.

also the fit meals is awesome!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Would there be interest for people in this thread to create another thread re: healthy eating? We could share recipes, etc. I'd be eager to learn how to eat well cheaply (I eat decently now, but learning is good!), and share in the challenge of ameliorating our dietary habits.
Ohh, yes please!

Jay

Jay

I decided back in mid-January to start going on a diet. With the upcoming baby and my doctor recommending me to shed some weight, I booked an appointment with a nutritionist.

First of all, she's hot as fuck and when she talks, she sounds like Melody from Josie and the Pussycats. Everything she says sounds like a high-pitched ballad. She's very informative and supportive and I go to see her every month.

So, I started off being 6'4 and 241 pounds and now 6 weeks later, weighing myself this morning I'm down to 224 pounds. I loss of 17 pounds in 5 weeks, without performing any exercises what-so-ever.

I plan to shed 24 more pounds in the months to come.

Bones

Bones

I feel you jay, I shed 30 lbs in 4 months just by changing how i ate while completing school. its crazy!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Went to my doc today to see what's going on with my foot and ankle. I have tendonitis in my foot. My ankle keeps popping/cracking/clicking because of old injuries. That makes me laugh because it's old ballet injuries. One of the things that really sucks is that she told me I can't go barefoot all the time because it aggravates the tendonitis and I need to get an ankle sleeve for when I exercise.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Slacked off earlier this week because I was in training, and unable to make the gym in a timely manner (read: I'm not getting up at 0500 to lift things when I have to shoot later that day for score).

Made up for it today. Squatted my bodyweight, deadlifted MORE than my bodyweight, and increased my overhead press. And I feel like I can still add more weight, too.

If only my arms looked as good as my legs right now! *grins* And if I could juuuust shed this waist...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Tried the stationary bike at the gym again. I rode 4.5 miles at 12 mph. It went much better in terms of boredom since I had the American Gods audio book on my phone this time. However, my foot was killing me when I got done.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Feeling healthy and not as ruled by emotional/bored eating as I used to be. Exploring my interests... feels nice. Being more honest with the people around me has helped. I guess it's important to remember that weight loss is just as much a mental/emotional exercise. Regular yoga and cardio are helping too. ^_^ The resveratrol in this wine is doing wonders for me as well. :awesome: Moderate amount... 4 delightful ounces.

HowDroll

HowDroll

So, yeah. In November I developed a really horrible case of plantar fasciitis, and it got to the point where I could barely even walk without being in pretty intense pain. I had to quit derby, which completely devastated me, because it's the first sport, like, ever that I was even halfway good at, not to mention my entire social life in Missouri was built around it (and I couldn't really deal with hanging around derby people and hearing them talk about it, so I pretty much cut everyone off.) I couldn't work out, and I stopped taking care of myself altogether and gained a shitton of weight back really fast (162 at my lowest in November to around 178-ish in January. Ugh.) I'm finally starting to get my PF and eating under control again, though, and I'm back around 170. Not great, but my size 10 jeans aren't cutting off circulation anymore. Another month of low-carb eating and exercising a few times a week should hopefully put me back in the low-to-mid 160s. I discovered a brand of protein shakes (Muscle Milk) that I really like, so that helps. I generally have 2 a day, 3 on days that I work out, and then eat another small, low-carb meal at some point. It's nice to be dieting without having to cook meals three times a day, which has always been one of my issues when I cut out carbs, since my go-tos like cereal and sandwiches are off the menu.

tl;dr I'm back but don't expect any underoos pictures for awhile

fade

fade

I developed mild achilles tendonitis last week. I fell into a classic runner's trap (the other being never start a land war in Asia): I felt good, so I pushed it too hard. I did some RICE (rest-ice-compression-elevation), and I switched to my bike. I also used a roller to stretch, and I did eccentric strengthening exercises. The roller was quite uncomfortable. After a week, it already feels much better, though. The roller still sucks, but it obviously helped. I can start running again, though I have to heat the tendon first, and drop back my run. But it's still good. Still working karate uninterrupted because it didn't stress the tendon much.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Oooph.... working out RIGHT before work... probably not the smartest idea.... mind you, deadlifted 275, 255 squat, 165 bench today.

Ran a 5k the other day... first time running that far in MONTHS. 27:09... I'll take that.

BErt

I'd kill for a 27 min 5K time. Not...literally, officer, I swear.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hey, as long as it's not in Chatham County...[DOUBLEPOST=1362454279][/DOUBLEPOST]I was just happy to get it below 28:00...

Shakey

Shakey

Getting below 30 minutes is definitely something to be proud of!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hit my first wall with squats today... 265. Did 2 sets of 5, but couldn't finish the 5th rep on the last set. Straight up didn't allow myself to attempt that last rep, because my form was so lousy on the 4th one, and my legs didn't feel capable of it.

Maybe I could have, I don't know. But I'm not going to dick around with 265 lbs on my shoulders.

I'll try it again on Friday. Gonna try a little noms before my workout, see if that helps.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Started working out this semester. Keeping it fairly light, but doing it every day. I can tell I'm getting stronger and I've already lost 8 pounds. :)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

That's awesome!! Way to go. :)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

2.5 weeks of kickboxing 3-4 times a week (plus 2 months of going once weekly), and my extra chin is starting to slightly disappear.

Everything else not so much. :foreveralone:

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

At least you're improving upon yourself! That's something. And besides, you could be losing fat! The weight may just take longer to come off. As long as you're doing something for youself, I think you're on the right track.

Frank

Frank

Doing yoga is making me a savage in jiu jistu. I was already pretty flexible. Now, I'm getting be human putty.

Terrik

Terrik

Once Terrik finds a gym for less than 500 bucks, maybe I'll start participating in this thread.

Damnit.

BErt

Second 5K race was this weekend. Came in at 29 min exactly; a full 4 minutes better than my first one. :D It certainly helped not running on snow with a freezing wind in your face. Next attempt is April 27th. Goal is 28 min.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think I lost seven pounds via bowel movement. Every time I got up from the toilet I thought I was done, only to go back to release more. Also I had a headache during. I think I'm sick.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think I lost seven pounds via bowel movement. Every time I got up from the toilet I thought I was done, only to go back to release more. Also I had a headache during. I think I'm sick.
Either that or you need a smaller dose of laxatives in your protein shake.

*hugs* Feel better.

Jay

Jay

19.3 pounds lost so far.... almost halfway...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I really, really miss running. No other exercise seems to give me the endorphin rush like running did. This sucks. I can't get motivated to do some other exercise. And my foot is not feeling better which makes it suck even more.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Today would have been a good day for a weigh-in. Alas, I am retarded.

Climbing back onto the wagon after making some excuses last week (Of course it hurts, you little weenie. You worked hard. Now go do it again! ). I'm slooooowly regaining the gains that I lost after my virus-induced absence from the gym. My squats are... I don't know. I'm going to try for another gain on them, but I might be plateauing on what I've got so far. Which is kind of sad, at 245.

Deadlifts, on the other hand, are starting to be something that is no stress at all. Still working hard for 'em, but they're easier to do now. 285.

Overhead Press today - 125. I figured out what Starting Strength was talking about for the motion for it, so the lifts are a little easier now. Still terrifyingly low weight though. :/

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Overhead Press today - 125. I figured out what Starting Strength was talking about for the motion for it, so the lifts are a little easier now. Still terrifyingly low weight though.

Way better than I can do. You go Judge Dredd!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I just wanted to say that though I've disappered in posting in this thread, I haven't in my workouts. Now that the weather is nice I get to jog about three times a week.

I've been doing reading on the subject of jogging and I just wanted to let you all know that when it comes to weight loss, you want distance. Running fast is wonderful and great, but overall weight loss comes from going the distance, so if you need to slow down to keep going, it's okay.

Just in case anyone was discouraged about speed, I just wanted to let you know that speed isn't the only thing. :)

Keep at it everyone! Even if you aren't posting much, know that I'm rooting for you all!

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

HUZZAH! I can fit in to my size 8 jeans again! I had to go back up to my size 10's for a lot of the winter....But, I seem to be getting back on track.

I'm exercising regularly again and am so happy that fruit is back in season! So, lots of fruit and veggies being added back into my diet. Yay!

Jay

Jay

Update for me, lost 26 pounds so far. I'm down to 2 to 3 holes tigher on most of my belts.

People make fun on how baggy my pants are now...

BananaHands

BananaHands

Got a "Woah, you lost so much weight" from a friend looking at old pictures. Awww yiis.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hrmmm... hit the scale whilst at the gym.

246. Still.

I am evidently losing sizing around the center, though, so all I can assume is that while I might not be doing enough cardio to burn MORE fat, I am still losing enough fat, and slowly replacing it with gradual muscle gains.

That's what I'm telling myself, at least.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hrmmm... hit the scale whilst at the gym.

246. Still.

I am evidently losing sizing around the center, though, so all I can assume is that while I might not be doing enough cardio to burn MORE fat, I am still losing enough fat, and slowly replacing it with gradual muscle gains.

That's what I'm telling myself, at least.
That's exactly what's happening. You should focus more on your body fat percentage dropping instead of your weight.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Still haven't lost weight, but I'm pretty proud of being able to jog for 15 minutes without stopping. I ran to and from the grocery store this week, and it felt just as good as seeing smaller numbers on a scale. I was also able to put my heels all the way down during downward-facing dog... something that I used to think was impossible for me. Clothes fit a bit better, I'm eating well, and I'm very active. Maybe in the summer when I'm less stressed I'll shed some of the flab around my waist.

Frank

Frank

I am getting faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I'm at 220 now. My ideal weight is usually around 195-200. More time on the treadmill/gym, less time eating so much junkfood and sitting around.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I am getting faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I'm at 220 now. My ideal weight is usually around 195-200. More time on the treadmill/gym, less time eating so much junkfood and sitting around.
Good luck! :)

BErt

ran another 5K race yesterday. I'm really happy with my time improvements.

February
FEB.JPG

March
MAR.JPG

April
APR.JPG

I've signed up for the Big Ten 10K in Chicago at the end of July, so that's what I'll be training for now.

Primary Goal: Don't Die.
Secondary Goal: Finish under 1 hour.

Jay

Jay

Lost 34 pounds so far. Very close of my goal of 40.

Gared

Gared

Since my contract ended, and since recovering from my incredibly unfortunate bout of salmonella poisoning, I've managed to lose a decent amount of weight. I don't know how much, because I don't have a scale, but I do know that none of my pants will stay up any more and that my normal belt is too loose, and I can almost fit into my too-small belt. I've also managed to cut all fast food, all soda, almost all HFCS, and most table sugar from my diet; so my diabetes is getting a lot better. Now all I have to do is a) wait for fresh veggies to come in at the local farmers' market and b) keep this up after I find a new job, where ever that job happens to be.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

My wife and I signed up at the local gym. Time to get back into shape for the summer!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I have done nothing, and I experience guilt. Not the useful, motivating guilt, the "Oh, I'm the worst." variety.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I have done nothing, and I experience guilt. Not the useful, motivating guilt, the "Oh, I'm the worst." variety.
That's the kind of guilt that stops me in my tracks. The "oh, who even gives a shit, I think I'll eat a whole bag of chips" shame spiral. I've all but killed that voice by forcing myself to go outside and do something when I start to feel that way. If I'm going to complain, that means I have to do something about it, no excuses. It's usually nothing strenuous either--just a little walk to get some fresh air and take perspective.

Just remember that your overall value is tied to so much more than how active or healthy you are. You're talented, kind, and funny. You have a way with words. Getting back in the fitness game won't make you awesome. It will make you more awesome than you already are.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

That's the kind of guilt that stops me in my tracks. The "oh, who even gives a shit, I think I'll eat a whole bag of chips" shame spiral. I've all but killed that voice by forcing myself to go outside and do something when I start to feel that way. If I'm going to complain, that means I have to do something about it, no excuses. It's usually nothing strenuous either--just a little walk to get some fresh air and take perspective.

Just remember that your overall value is tied to so much more than how active or healthy you are. You're talented, kind, and funny. You have a way with words. Getting back in the fitness game won't make you awesome. It will make you more awesome than you already are.
Okay first off: you're too kind. I don't know who this "talented, kind, and funny" person is, but I'm glad you've confused him for me. Thank you. :)

Secondly, you are right about just getting up and doing it, dammit. I walk a lot, actually, it's a good half hour to and from work every day, and I walk most other places (grocery shopping, for example) so that's good for my stamina and health. But I want to take action in terms of putting on weight (I'm quiiiiiite skinny and have trouble gaining weight and keeping it [I know, I know, wah, wah no sympathy, I'm not that upset, really]) and I want to get back to swimming. I felt fantastic while I was doing it, and then after Christmas fell right off. It's a shame, because it's really just a matter of getting up an hour earlier; the pool is part of the university so there's no commute from the pool to my work, except a five minute walk.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I have an old friend who struggles to put on weight as well. Many people don't appreciate what a challenge it is. Christmas is a common falling-off time, but I am confident you'll achieve your goals. :)

Bones

Bones

with my promotion at work and its crazyness I haven't exercised in 2 months. I stepped on the scale and came in at 211.6 lbs with just my shorts on. this means it is likely that I will have dropped 55 lbs in one year if I can keep the downward flow going. if I am 200 by end of summer I will be truly happy.

Jay

Jay

Good stuff bones.

I feel like a dumbass for not starting this easy as fuck diet sooner.

I hope to get to my goal by summer's end as well.

fade

fade

I had to lay off running for a while. I have developed tendonitis in BOTH Achilles tendons. I'm doing the exercises and RICE, but it's slow going. I haven't stopped karate, which I suspect is to blame for the slow healing. I will take a break soon, but I want to at least finish the next belt. I'm cross training, though. I've switched to bike because it's easier on the tendons. On the good side, I've lost about 30 lbs since October when I started this viscous plan.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

* Lose about 40 pounds (from 185 to 145)

I'm curious... how tall are you?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm curious... how tall are you?
Yeah, I'm trying to get up to 180, ideally. Good lord.

BErt

5' 6", and sedentary. While its not a great measure, my bmi is 29, putting me just under obese.
We're the same height, and I cannot imagine getting down to 145. I know that's ideal weight/height range, i just can't picture it. I'm currently 175, and would be ecstatic at 160.

Edit: I'm not at all implying that you can't or shouldn't make this a goal, I mean I would not myself be able to get to that range. Good Luck!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Find someone who is a great cook. Marry them. Done.
I'm a great cook. I can't marry myself, because I'm oppressed by the Machine! Now I'll never gain weight!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

5' 6", and sedentary. While its not a great measure, my bmi is 29, putting me just under obese.

This chart is fun, while I decide whether to post a picture or not:
http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.html

My main issue is that all my fat gathers in the front, and having a desk job means I have only as much muscle as needed. I can toss my 50# kids around, and can walk a few miles at 3mph without getting winded, so I'm not terribly out of shape, but I'm far from in good shape.

Further, carrying an extra 40 pounds of fat on a 100 mile race is silly.

Okay, 5'6" makes more sense. I'm 6'-0" and 175 right now so I was all like "losing 40 lbs? Holy crap!"

Still, that's a pretty big number man. If you can do it... kudos to you sir.

Bones

Bones

dude i am 5'10 and 210, the lightest I have ever been is 165, dropping another 20 seems insane.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Went back to the gym for the first time in a couple weeks... I did... something... to my left hip rotator group (I'm thinking it was shitty squat form - the last set I did before I noticed the injury the next day did NOT feel right), so rather than just suck it up and possibly aggravate something, I decided to just take it easy for a while.

Noticed that my mindset has changed - not working out was driving me crazy! It was getting to the point that I was almost convincing myself to change up my workouts to upper-body only. Then, knowing myself, I know that I wouldn't have been able to stick with just that, and would have done myself an injury. So I dubbed for for a while, everything's feeling better, and I'm back on the horse.

Going to take it easy with the weight increases, too... gonna work more on stamina than strength. Between that and conditioning, I'm hoping to get myself in good enough shape to work on another SWAT tryout, as well as my goal of fighting in the Battle of the Nations inside of 5 years or so...

BErt

Ok, so...I finally got around to making one of these. Mostly because I finally have a new picture to use. Pic spoilered for size (heh).

January 2011: 295/May 2013: 175
new.jpg

I regret not taking pictures throughout the process, but I wasn't telling anyone that I was actively losing weight until I started to show results. That, and for obvious reasons I never liked my picture taken.

As I said earlier, I still have about 15 pounds before I hit what I originally set as my "target weight." The last bit is definitely the hardest to shed.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

The personal trainer is quitting....:(

Hopefully I can keep up what we've been doing on my own, but since it's nice weather now, I can be outside at least.

I'm kind of worried now because my deadline is June 26th. Gotta work hard if I'm going to make it by then!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The personal trainer is quitting....:(

Hopefully I can keep up what we've been doing on my own, but since it's nice weather now, I can be outside at least.

I'm kind of worried now because my deadline is June 26th. Gotta work hard if I'm going to make it by then!
I beeeelievee in

Oh hang on one sec I have to skip a terrible song that just came on

And we're back.

I beeeelieeeeeeve in youuuuuuuuuuuuu

BananaHands

BananaHands

How's everyone doing fitness wise!?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I joined a gym and have been working out the past 2-3 weeks 3 times a week. Feels good to actually be able to run again. Once I actually make some good strength gains I'll post some updates.

drifter

drifter

Lately I've been doing bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, handstand progressions, etc.), which has been a pretty fun change of pace. I need to start focusing more on my legs, though.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Lately I've been doing bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, handstand progressions, etc.), which has been a pretty fun change of pace. I need to start focusing more on my legs, though.

drifter

drifter

My skinny calves are genetic, I swear! :ninja:

Also, commence Debbie Downer:

figmentPez

figmentPez

How's everyone doing fitness wise!?
Not so great. I'm up a few pounds and I'm not fitting into most of my pants very well. The stress of the end of the semester led to a lot of bad eating habits.

The good news is that I'm getting back to exercise and slowly improving my eating habits. (Though finding out that Wendy's now offers a Waffle Cone Frosty may stall progress.)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

My shin splints are healed!! Went running at my normal pace yesterday and they didn't hurt at all! I've been very diligent about stretching before and after I exercise, which I think helps quite a bit. I'm not back up to my regular distance, but I can work up to that again. And seriously, running is just...it fills my soul with happy. :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

Not so great. I'm up a few pounds and I'm not fitting into most of my pants very well. The stress of the end of the semester led to a lot of bad eating habits.

The good news is that I'm getting back to exercise and slowly improving my eating habits. (Though finding out that Wendy's now offers a Waffle Cone Frosty may stall progress.)
They just gave me a free waffle cone frosty and I couldn't NOT take free ice-cream.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Man, I did this crazy supersetting arms workout three days ago and my arms still feel like they're about to fall off.

Can't wait to do it again! I love being back at the gym!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

My hip is still giving me issues - the pain has migrated to lower left back/pelvis/hamstring. Over 9000 hours of Googling has led me to something called "Piriformis Syndrome," which basically comes about when you're in a sitting position for long periods of time, combined with large amounts of legwork. Cyclists, scullers and whatnot are prone to it.

So are dumbass cops who squat too heavy with bad form, apparently.

Might have to suck it up and see an actual doc, just to be sure in this. Rather not let myself get to a point where I need surgery - if it is this - thank you very much.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yesterday was pretty productive. Oatmeal for breakfast, veggie delite (no cheese, EVERY VEGGIE) and a salad for lunch and tortilla soup with a vegan quesadilla for dinner.

Managed to go for a pretty solid run too! Decided I'm going to try and run outside three times a week, considering I've been doing the elliptical in the gym, I figured I'd be able to run outside with little problem (I was wrong). But yeah, jogged about 2.3 miles and then biked another two miles later that night to grab a pitcher of beer with the ol' roommate.[DOUBLEPOST=1368799860][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm eating all the same foods I used to eat but in smaller quantities, and have added more veggies as cheap (calorie wise) filler. It's not ideal, but I know that I'm not going to be making a huge change in what I eat after this diet, so I'm really just working on how much I eat. When I feel hungry but only have a hundred or so calories left I usually have a big spinach salad, and haven't yet become tired of spinach, but it's only been a week or so, there's plenty of time to become sick of it still.
I need to get back on MyFitnessPal, it really helped me lose weight. I'm just a bum.

And pick up those steamers bags of veggies! They're usually on sale at target for like, 5 for $5, and they're easy enough to make. Perfect filler.

Adam

Adam

Dropped below 200 for the first time since before I got married. Oddly appropriate.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Jake asked me to help him with a little diet and exercise "jump start." He eats a lot of starchy stuff, and I've pretty much just replaced that with other things. We still have oatmeal in the morning, but instead of the usual rice-and-something-else dish, I've been making lean protein and vegetable dishes. We're not at all planning on doing that forever, but I told him I bet he'd see more results if we made a few small changes. So this week and next week are going to be a little more on the extreme side, and then we'll taper off a little, reintroducing brown rice and whole wheat pasta. He's never really tried portion control for an extended period of time, so we'll see how it goes. Helping him try something new has helped me stay on track as well. It's been fun trying new recipes and exercising together, too. I think I've done an alright job of making sure this isn't a painful or boring experience. :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

Running outside huuuuuurts. But it feels so goooood.

Jay

Jay

Lost 32 pounds so far, took a 1 week break (will do so every 100 days of diet), felt real good.

I'm back on diet as of yesterday. Less than 10 to go to reach my goal.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Running outside is the BEST!! :heart:

Lost 32 pounds so far, took a 1 week break (will do so every 100 days of diet), felt real good.

I'm back on diet as of yesterday. Less than 10 to go to reach my goal.
YAY! That's really awesome Jay! Keep it up. =^^=

Jay

Jay

That's what she said!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I hear ya. Did 40 minutes of yoga with a coworker, and hadn't had enough when I got home. So I ran! Now I've had enough.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Doctor's appointment on the 31st. Gonna see how bad I've done myself. Gonna continue trying stretches and massage to see if I can work it out in the meantime.

God, I hope so. Tired of constant low-level pain. If it was sharper, I could justify whining. As it is, it's just annoying.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm totally encouraging you to keep stretching. DO NOT SKIP STRETCHING! EVAR!! :)

I hope everything is okay though and nothing is severely damaged.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I. Am. Sore.

This week I decided to get my ducks in a row. Went to the gym every day this week and started running outside. And right now my entire body is just sore. But it hurts so goooood.

So yeah, gonna take the day off. Might do some running outside tomorrow because it's pretty nice out. But right now I'm just trying to force myself to stretch and just sitting uncomfortably.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I decimated my chest and back yesterday at the gym. It was fantastic. By 9:30pm it was all I could do to drag myself into the bed and fall asleep. Feel sore today but awesome.

I'm also getting close to touching my toes when I'm warmed up! I haven't been able to that in... um... ever!

Oooo... and I can run at 5 miles per hour for just over 30 minutes without my legs failing horribly. Also a very large improvement for me. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Welp... I went to the doctor yesterday, and I'm down 1 lb from last time I weighed in with y'all. So, 165. I guess any progress in the right direction is good.

Here is the deal, though. I'm not losing fat where I want to lose it. So I'm going to continue with the "diet" I've been on with Jake for the past 2 weeks. I'm watching my intake of carbs... I was really going overboard, looking back. I'm going back to measuring everything I portion out, and as soon as this sinus infection is knocked out, I'm back to jogging and yoga. Plus, I'll be in London soon, walking everywhere. :D

It's not perfect; it's not where I wanted to be at this point, but I feel good.

Jay

Jay

Count calories! Eat all the good stuff! Just... less of it!

35 pounds lost!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Welp... I went to the doctor yesterday, and I'm down 1 lb from last time I weighed in with y'all. So, 165. I guess any progress in the right direction is good.

Here is the deal, though. I'm not losing fat where I want to lose it. So I'm going to continue with the "diet" I've been on with Jake for the past 2 weeks. I'm watching my intake of carbs... I was really going overboard, looking back. I'm going back to measuring everything I portion out, and as soon as this sinus infection is knocked out, I'm back to jogging and yoga. Plus, I'll be in London soon, walking everywhere. :D

It's not perfect; it's not where I wanted to be at this point, but I feel good.
I have zero weight loss advice, but I will tell you that walking everywhere makes you feel fantastic. Your stamina improves, your body feels great, it helps alleviate everything from stress to headaches to stuffed heads...

I walk to and from work (about 30 mins each way) every day and man.. It's awesome.

Oh yeah London is cool too. I guess. :p

Bones

Bones

all I can say is portion control portion control portion control....i do NOT exercise extra at this time, and I am stably dropping a few pounds a month/week.
i am at 210 right now from the high of 255, and if I can get past this hang up heading to 200.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I have zero weight loss advice, but I will tell you that walking everywhere makes you feel fantastic. Your stamina improves, your body feels great, it helps alleviate everything from stress to headaches to stuffed heads...

I walk to and from work (about 30 mins each way) every day and man.. It's awesome.

Oh yeah London is cool too. I guess. :p
I enjoy walking to the store. I'm just a few blocks away from a grocery store and a fruit-and-veg outdoor market, so I do that as often as I can. I also walk to school on weekends. It's just 20 minutes away on foot, and the traffic's not too intimidating... ok, it is, but that's ok.

Jay, that's what was confusing for me. I was paying close attention to my calories in/calories out, and I seemed to be at a pretty sizable deficit most days. That's why I've shifted focus more to the types of foods I'm eating and making more vegetable substitutions to see if it helps. I'm also being more diligent about measuring out portions, even though I can eyeball pretty well.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

It's more important what you're eating vs. calories, in my opinion. I can eat 1300 calories a day in saturated fats, sugars and not lose weight. Then I could eat 1300 calories in veggies, fruits and whole grains, losing weight in the process. It's different for every person, what works, but for me, counting calories goes hand in hand with what I'm eating; I can't just count calories.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I found calorie counting stressed me out more than anything else. It also made me very grumpy.

Either way, after a while I noticed that I was much more satisfied with meals when I stopped limiting how much I ate and just replaced it with veggies, fruits and whole grains like LittleKagsin said. Carbs are where we get our energy anyway, so I think it's silly to try and cut them out. Just go for the whole-grain bread instead of that bleached-to-white bread.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Well... There's always tomorrow...

Jay

Jay

Basically, this is my diet. (35 pounds lost in 4 months)

Don't read if you can't take honest advice :

1. Don't drink calories. Ever. Basically, water is going to be your life. While writing this post, I drank 2 glasses of water. Sometimes, I'll add some lemon and GO CRAZY like that. Whenever I have a hunger crave, I'll drink a glass of water, if the hunger persists after an hour. I'll snack on something good (more below). Your body will betray you, just like Ravenpoe does every night he doesn't show up for our game of Borderlands 2. Your body makes you THINK you're hungry when in fact, you're thirsty. So drink up bitch and if you're still hungry, go waddle to the kitchen for a healthy snack.

2. I use MyFitnessPal app. ALL THE TIME. Basically, my age, sex, being 6'4 and current weight it provides me the exact amount of calories I need to consume and maintain my weight. I then ask the app to cut me off enough to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I try to respect it, every single day. Most days are a success. This is principally how I lose my weight other than some walking. This is Jason's "No Exercise Diet". Also, this app calculates calories used doing activities. Took a long walk? 150 calories go to the bank. Shovel snow like a good Canadian? 300 calories to the bank. Your significant other gave you a solid 5 minute romp? Boom, 69 calories to the bank. Heeey-oooo!

3. I eat what I want, how many times I want but with regular portion control. I tend to research my choices before I buy/eat them so that I can calculate them a bit more accurately. So yes, I'll research, type names and do what MUST BE DONE. I tend to not give a rat's ass about carbs and all that other shit other people think is important. Gypsy tales IMO. Total bullshit. I only care if whatever choice I'm eating tends to lean on more protein and fiber, you know that shit our body needs and craves. I tend to not be hungry after high protein meals, as I'm supposed to. Lighter meals that make you happy goes a long way. After all, I don't plan to check every meal for carbs for the next 50+ years. I have a list of high protein things I will eat. Also Greek Yogurt is awesome, particularly those with fruits. It's a WIN/WIN.

4. Most snacks I eat are fruits. So I'll have 2 nectarines, some watermelon, mandarin or an apple. A handful of walnuts (high cal but lots of protein and good shit in them). Fresh celery sticks are awesome too. I recommend to do what I do and get a huge topper ware, prepare all your shit ahead of time and just grab whatever is ready to be eaten during the week. (after you drank hat 1 glass of water of course, you've been reading... right?)

5. I avoid most fried foods. So, I'll eat that sexy burger I want but I'll get a side salad or veggies. Fried foods are the devil. Also, my acne has been far less severe since I started dieting.

Now a word from our sponsors.

Do you want this to happen to you when you go out during social events?

innCvkjfR71KC.gif

Then stop being a fat fuck and listen to Jay in his advice thread!

Welcome back.

6. Be positive about your diet and how you're progressing. If you get grumpy, anxious or annoyed while doing this, you're in it for the wrong reasons. Whatever, you're doing, you're doing it for yourself and no one else and if you get no hunger pains, you'll not get any gains. Sorry. Losing weight has been ridiculously easy for me. Honestly. It's all about your mentality more than anything else and... your cultural environment.

7. Surround yourself with people who support you, who won't give you a hard time you're on a diet, won't push you shit you don't need, you won't give you guilt trips if you don't take more than a slice of whatever they did. This is important. I'm sorry but you're not missing out on any of that food on the table. It's an experience of a few seconds but you'll carry your decision for eating it for days/weeks/months because of your lapse of a few seconds. In the end, you'll shit it all out. So why bother? Eat what you must, enjoy it but never in excess. Don't be 'MURICA! So eat what you can, moderate yourself and results will come and will more importantly... STAY. Losing weight has always been the easy part. Keeping it off, heh, that's the battle.

8. Saturday is a great cheat day. Have that beer or soda you've been craving, eat up to what you need to to maintain your current weight. Enjoy it. Regain some sanity. Enjoy life. But always remember... always that same day. Also, don't eat shit 4 hours before sleeping. Don't go overboard though.

9. Eat a light breakfast. Real granola bars or cereal. My favorite bars are the the ones from Kashi. Same for Cereal. Go Lean Crunch is delicious and hella healthy. Or buy some Whey Protein drinks. They replace your breakfast with upwards of 25g of Protein, are tasty and give you a shitload of energy that will even make your lunches lighter.

10. Don't be an asshole to others when they notice the results. Tell them what you're doing, be excited about stuff and enjoy life. Don't push them to do shit unless they ask. It's OK to watch them roll away.

11. When doing groceries, go eat before you do so, preferably a meal you enjoy a lot. You'll go in there after, well fed and make better choices in what you'll stock your home with.

12. Also while you're in there don't make the best choices in foods right away, don't kid yourself. No one goes from white bread to whole wheat grain everywhere and actually get achievable long term results. Make progressively better choices. Get the stuff you like but make little commitments every time you shot to buy 4-5 things that are better than last time. You want those fudge bars? That's fine. Just make sure to make a logical, honest compromise elsewhere.

13. Some of you won't be like Gusto and be forever alone. You can make better decisions for you and your significant other but rather for yourself. You don't have to share everything. You can have "your bread". You can have "your cheese". It's normal. Despite what they may think. Your health is about YOU, not them.

14. Sleeping is very good for you. Sleep 8 hours a day, nothing less. Sleeping helps your body lose weight. I'm not shitting you. Sleep 8 hours and it'll do your body good. If you're female and hot, sleep with me for 8 hours and you'll lose just as much + 69 calories!

15. And lastly, calories. Don't listen to what all these gypsies are saying. It's all about the calories. 3500 calories = 1 pound of ass. If you are like me and need 2400 calories to maintain your weight and you limit yourself more or less to 1800 a day, you bank 600 calories. A day. After a week you save 3600 calories (don't count Saturdays). Boom, 1 pound. And doing what exactly? Eating the same things but slightly better with smaller portions that will be perfectly find as the weeks go by and your fat ass stomach starts becoming smaller and asking for less shit to keep its mouth shut. It'll get even easier.

There you go.

Read my bible, use it, lose weight.

Don't listen to the gypsies.[DOUBLEPOST=1369763638][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well... There's always tomorrow...

You didn't need those fries and milkshake. That's a fucking 1000 calories man.

AND you use my app, for shame.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's more important what you're eating vs. calories, in my opinion. I can eat 1300 calories a day in saturated fats, sugars and not lose weight. Then I could eat 1300 calories in veggies, fruits and whole grains, losing weight in the process. It's different for every person, what works, but for me, counting calories goes hand in hand with what I'm eating; I can't just count calories.
That's what I've found. What I eat hasn't changed that much, but those little tweaks have caused big changes in how I feel.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Don't listen to the gypsies.
It's just like the old gypsy woman said!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Don't listen to the gypsies.

[DOUBLEPOST=1369765386][/DOUBLEPOST]If you want some motivation, you could always pick up Skinny Bitch or Skinny Bastard.

Just imagine a bitchy girl who has read The China Study berating you for poor diet choices.

Gusto

Gusto

Asshole.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Been running outside lately, which has been great. Started last week out with intervals of walking five minutes and running five minutes. Today I started walking for three and running for five. Feels good, man.

I might change my gypsie way slightly and ignore the bad influence that is my roommate with her constant buying of lays potato chips.

Cajungal

Cajungal

stienman I always feel like the calories burned using a calculator are overestimated, so I usually cut the time I put in by 10-15 minutes just to be safe.

fade

fade

My freaking achilles tendons are still hurting. I've stopped my running routine. Still go to 90 minutes of karate 3x a week though, and that actually burns more than a run. Even biking is rough on the tendons. I have heel dip assignments from the doctor that I'm supposed to be doing. Supposed to be the best treatment for tendonitis. I have to do 3x15 straight leg and 3x15 bent leg twice a day, for each leg. The dips have to be done slowly so it's quite time consuming.

phil

phil

Worked out for the first time in about 3 months the other day. I think I'm just going to make a point to work out every day I work, after work. Sundays is going to be hard though because I meet up with my friends later in the day for game of.thrones/ movie night.

I think I'm going to stop drinking for the next two months. I want.to lose as much weight before my birthday as possible. I've even considered only drinking water. Maybe I'll do that for a week and see how it goes.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Just drinking water is a good idea. Good luck!

LordRendar

LordRendar

Have been running 3x a week for 30 mins followed by 3 sets of 15 push ups,15pull ups and two other exercises,which I cant translate to english,but they focus on the lower back and legs. Anyway,I feel great.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Been stuck on the stupid elliptical machine this week after getting over a sinus infection and getting over a nasty, hanging-on cough... but I think, I think... I might be well enough to job tonight?! That would be heavenly. I tend to go overboard when I haven't been able to work out in a long time... I'm very tempted to jog, then do Zumba, then do yoga. Do ALL the exercises!

drifter

drifter

Vegan Indian Cookbook by Anupy Singla, currently free on Amazon. Sorry Canadians, but the offer is not available on amazon.ca.

Jay

Jay

Vegans aren't real people.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Vegans aren't real people.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Found a picture of myself from last year. I kind of hate my friends for not letting me know it had gotten that bad. But look at where I am now!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Damn, man! What a change! Well done :)

BananaHands

BananaHands

I need to hop back on the healthy train.

Although I did do a 45 mile bike ride, I also gorged on some pizza and sour cream and onion chips.

Dei

Dei

I need to get 27 laps around the track in 5 minutes for WFTDA certification to actually be able to do derby. There's other things as well, but I feel like endurance is what is going to kick my ass. Right now I'm at 22 laps in 5, so need to get my ass in gear because apparently 6 hours of skating a week is not cutting it on that front lol.