Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

It was pretty surreal watching that debate thing where oligarchs were pleading with Putin to end the war and he was like nah.

He's fucking deranged at this point.

From what I'm hearing, most Russians aren't behind it either. He's taking a big risk here and I think ot may spell his downfall. He better have food testers.

I want to be shocked, but so many places still so this unofficially, so... :(

I can't remember where I read it, but something like this one of the reasons a long time ago, banks adopted a policy a meeting loan-requestors in-person first; to make sure the "wrong people" weren't getting approved for home loans and couldn't get into the "good" neighborhoods.

I’m guessing there are still a lot of those types of places where it was the official policy back in the day, those contracts were made illegal, and nobody bothered to update it. It’s good to make it official but it obviously wasn’t really in effect anymore.

Ann Arbor? Would not have expected codified segregation in Ann Arbor. Unless it was something like this left over from ye olden days, of course.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
But see it's not just Ukraine. Now he's threatening Georgia, Moldova, Sweden, & Finland. Dude wants to rebuild the USSR and appeasement will not work.

Ann Arbor? Would not have expected codified segregation in Ann Arbor. Unless it was something like this left over from ye olden days, of course.

--Patrick
You can expect that sort of thing in basically all of the northern cities you'd usually think this wouldn't be a problem in. Because desegregation was only enforced in the southern US

Honestly, the EU should just be a NATO member. And have an army
That would be a whole can of worms, starting with "Who pays for it?" (Hint: It'd be Germany, almost certainly) and ending with with "How much say would it's member states have in it's use?" (Germany would want final say because it'd be the one paying for it).

It's just the NATO problem all over again: everyone contributes troops and some funding, but it's primairly funded by the US and staffed by experienced US soldiers so it's essentially an arm of the US military in everything but name.

That would be a whole can of worms, starting with "Who pays for it?" (Hint: It'd be Germany, almost certainly) and ending with with "How much say would it's member states have in it's use?" (Germany would want final say because it'd be the one paying for it).

It's just the NATO problem all over again: everyone contributes troops and some funding, but it's primairly funded by the US and staffed by experienced US soldiers so it's essentially an arm of the US military in everything but name.
True, but I personally feel safer with Germany protecting European interests than I do with the USA.
Even ignoring Trump's pro-Russian agenda, and with my personal disagreements with German foreign policy (e.g. Nuclear power, freezing Russian assets, way of dealing with multinationals like Amazon), I still think I'd much prefer German over American rule, because our worlds are just that different.