Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Sounds like a plan.
Also, let's ban women from the workplace. And the blacks. And the Jews. How about ensuring education is only for those genetically predisposed to make the most of it? While we're at it, restrict voting to those who own at least three homes, as they're the providers for the rest, after all.

GasBandit

Staff member
Why does every version of this look like it was only sent to 3 people, including the original author? Does Outlook (or whatever they are using) not display even the recipient's name when they are bcc'd?
If it's sent to a mailing list defined at the server, it shows up as single address. Like, the email admin can set up a "everyone@Businessname.com" mailbox that automatically forwards to everyone.

that could be the +1 at the end of the recipient list. (that looks like the gmail android client, fwiw)

If it's sent to a mailing list defined at the server, it shows up as single address. Like, the email admin can set up a "everyone@Businessname.com" mailbox that automatically forwards to everyone.

that could be the +1 at the end of the recipient list. (that looks like the gmail android client, fwiw)
The article linked in the image description had a different screenshot (!!) that looked like something other than Gmail. It lists all three recipients as normal names. If it wasn't one of those three that leaked it, I definitely don't get how anyone else could have.

GasBandit

Staff member
The article linked in the image description had a different screenshot (!!) that looked like something other than Gmail. It lists all three recipients as normal names. If it wasn't one of those three that leaked it, I definitely don't get how anyone else could have.
1685131693809.png

Ah yeah, that's clearly the outlook client (you can see the MS Teams integration button on the right, that's a dead giveaway)

In that instance, yes, if you are BCC'd on a message, it does not show it in the recipient list.

It's a very common boomer e-mail method to email something to yourself and CC a large list of people to defeat the prospect of accidental reply-to-all storms.

View attachment 45204

Ah yeah, that's clearly the outlook client (you can see the MS Teams integration button on the right, that's a dead giveaway)

In that instance, yes, if you are BCC'd on a message, it does not show it in the recipient list.

It's a very common boomer e-mail method to email something to yourself and CC a large list of people to defeat the prospect of accidental reply-to-all storms.
It's also the approved way to send internal mass emails in our company. To yourself, cc manager and perhaps VP, bcc mailing list.

GasBandit

Staff member
This is from 2019, but I just found out about it.

In Germany, Twitter is legally required to filter out Nazi content. Turns out it works pretty well and a lot of people switched their location to Germany to not have to see nazis on twitter.

When asked why twitter didn't do the same thing here, they said it was because their filter couldn't tell the difference between Nazis and Republican Politicians.

This is from 2019, but I just found out about it.

In Germany, Twitter is legally required to filter out Nazi content. Turns out it works pretty well and a lot of people switched their location to Germany to not have to see nazis on twitter.

When asked why twitter didn't do the same thing here, they said it was because their filter couldn't tell the difference between Nazis and Republican Politicians.

On the one hand, I'm fine with these people being fined for as much as they can bear.
On the other hand, looking at gofundmes for legal costs before issuing a fine can open the way to try and fine actual people who need support in, your know, civil rights cases and such, to the edge of bankruptcy as well, charging anything they've managed to gather.
America has a long history of punitive fines dependant on income, and I understand it, it's not something that exists here... I'm just somewhat conflicted about it.

On the one hand, I'm fine with these people being fined for as much as they can bear.
On the other hand, looking at gofundmes for legal costs before issuing a fine can open the way to try and fine actual people who need support in, your know, civil rights cases and such, to the edge of bankruptcy as well, charging anything they've managed to gather.
America has a long history of punitive fines dependant on income, and I understand it, it's not something that exists here... I'm just somewhat conflicted about it.
I see your point. These people are grifters, but next time if this becomes normal it might be the low income family who has had to take time off work to deal with the legal issues & the gofundme money was necessary to buy food, pay the rent etc.

figmentPez

Staff member
Chick-fil-A announced that they hired a "VP of diversity, equity, inclusion" and Christofascists are losing their shit. (News article from AL.com)

National business: announces that it will comply with federal employment regulations

Conservatives: Boycott them! They're going to put <slur> cum in the lemonade!

"We can't agree to the debt ceiling deal or else Trump wont be able to blame the economy on Biden" he said, outloud, into a microphone

Dave

Staff member
I got into an argument today with a couple of people protesting outside our local Target. I didn't need anything from there, but when I was driving by and saw them I couldn't resist. One dude was trying to intimidate me by walking around with an AR-15 and tactical gear. Kept trying to get in my way as I walked to the door. By the way, the cops that were there did tell him to get back once they saw it but there were a lot of things going on so it took them a bit. I asked the guy what branch he'd served in and he said he'd never served. I told him my days in the Marine Corps made it so that pussy snowflakes like him didn't intimidate me in the least. He wanted to argue and tell me I was lying but I just laughed and walked past him.

I'm normally not very confrontational, but these fuckers have been harassing customers and staff. There was even (I heard while in the store - NOT CONFIRMED!) a bomb threat called in.

Fucking idiots. I wish I had no job so I could spend my time tilting at windmills.

Dave

Staff member
I got into an argument today with a couple of people protesting outside our local Target. I didn't need anything from there, but when I was driving by and saw them I couldn't resist. One dude was trying to intimidate me by walking around with an AR-15 and tactical gear. Kept trying to get in my way as I walked to the door. By the way, the cops that were there did tell him to get back once they saw it but there were a lot of things going on so it took them a bit. I asked the guy what branch he'd served in and he said he'd never served. I told him my days in the Marine Corps made it so that pussy snowflakes like him didn't intimidate me in the least. He wanted to argue and tell me I was lying but I just laughed and walked past him.

I'm normally not very confrontational, but these fuckers have been harassing customers and staff. There was even (I heard while in the store - NOT CONFIRMED!) a bomb threat called in.

Fucking idiots. I wish I had no job so I could spend my time tilting at windmills.
Looking back...I'm kind of a moron. I think I let adrenaline take control and that was kind of dumb.

Looking back...I'm kind of a moron. I think I let adrenaline take control and that was kind of dumb.
Why so? You have served in the armed forces, meaning you did your part. They have not. Maybe I'm missing something, but why should you feel as the lesser man in this encounter?

I think Dave means that deliberately antagonizing someone who's brandishing a gun is generally not considered a wise move.