Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Yeah, someone pointed out that if she lives the average lifespan, she'll have "earned" 89K per day as Prime Minister in pension.

Dunno how true it is but I heard it was more like an expenses thing, to cover appearances she needs to make as a former PM, state funerals and the like. Where invoices/receipts are submitted and approved if applicable toward the 115,000 yearly max. Not that she just gets that amount.

I mean, it will be abused and at 45 days she shouldn't get it but it's not just a here you go every year salary.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
You should only be able to recoup that money for the same amount of time you were in office. Hell, you could even round up to the nearest whole year. But the rest of their lives? Fuck that.

Dunno how true it is but I heard it was more like an expenses thing, to cover appearances she needs to make as a former PM, state funerals and the lack. Where invoices/receipts are submitted and approved if applicable toward the 115,000 yearly max. Not that she just gets that amount.

I mean, it will be abused and at 45 days she shouldn't get it but it's not just a here you go every year salary.
I'd be willing to bet these ghouls cleverly use every dime.

I'd be willing to bet these ghouls cleverly use every dime.
Yup. Per the BBC of the 6 living ex-PM's 2 claimed the full amount last year (John Major & Tony Blair), 2 came so close as makes no difference (Gordon Brown, £114,712 & David Cameron, £113,423) & 1 claimed about half (Theresa May, £57,382). No figures on Boris yet as they're only published annually & he was still PM when they were last released. May's figures may be so comparatively low because she's still a serving MP & receiving public money in that capacity which apparently affects the allowance.

Dave

Staff member
It ain’t dead but it’s now either going to the Supreme Court, or congress has to step up. I don’t see either of those happening.

Dave

Staff member
But it already went to the Supreme Court once, and they said it was okay!

--Patrick
I know you're probably being snarky but in case someone is reading this as truth they simply refused to hear it and kicked it back to the 8th circuit court, which is the one who blocked it.

I think we are confusing what happened.

"Six states — Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and South Carolina — filed a lawsuit arguing that the federal relief program would hurt state-based loan companies that manage some federal loans themselves.

Earlier this week, a federal judge dismissed the case, saying it had no standing. The group then appealed and asked a federal appeals court to place a temporary hold on the program while the appeals court reviews the case."

It's been blocked until the appeals court finishes reviewing the case. In the meantime, though, about 700,000 borrowers are now ineligible because their loans were moved to private companies.

1666463971267.png

So yeah, in response of the lawsuit, the Biden administration is attempting to remove the ones which might cause the lawsuit to cancel the entire thing.

Oh, we know. I'm going rounds with loan companies right now over my wife's lingering student loans.
She had 3 loans which were held directly by the government. They're eligible! That's good!
At some point in the past, she was convinced to consolidate them with a private lender. Oh no! That's bad!
So now it's technically a loan that was 100% gvt-owned BUT which, once consolidated, is now owned by the private lender.
Now there is a program that lets you consolidate your "formerly-government-owned-but-now-private" loans into a so-called "direct" loan owned (directly) by the government again BUT thing is you have to consolidate multiple loans in order to convert it "back" to a direct government loan, because you can't "consolidate" a single loan into another loan.
Oh wait, there is a way to consolidate a single private loan into a direct loan through a program that allows people who currently (or may in the future) have public service jobs to convert to a new, direct single loan under the assumption that they will eventually be pursuing the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, but mysteeeeriously this refinance/conversion program is going to be expiring on October 31, 2022. Weird!
So I applied last month with the current lender to convert the loan to go under the PSLF program which will be serviced by...the exact same people we are paying right now, which is dumb and stupid and COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY but hey it's gonna save us something like $250/month in payments so grrr...

--Patrick

If you’re interested, there’s a decent 2 part podcast on the whole Kanye debacle, and how messed up it is. It’s a good listen even if you don’t really care about or follow him.

I bet a german company like Adidas was really thrilled hearing what he has to say about jews.
It's not just any german company, it's founder and his brother, who founded Puma, where full on party members that greatly benefited from the relationship with the government (though it was apparently mostly for economic reasons, as he did apparently help at least one half jewish guy avoid arrest).

How long until that civil war?
2022 will load the House and Senate and several state legislatures with election deniers and so on.
In 2024, no matter the outcome, Trump will be declared victorious and there won't be any... At least somewhat decent (and I know I'm using the term very, very loosely here) Republicans like Cheney or whatshisname left to stop it

Will the left actually try and stop/fight it? No, they won't.
In two and a half years' time, the USA as you know it will be gone. Any "civil war" idea is based on the right taking up arms against the duly appointed etc - but they won't need to.

2022 will load the House and Senate and several state legislatures with election deniers and so on.
In 2024, no matter the outcome, Trump will be declared victorious and there won't be any... At least somewhat decent (and I know I'm using the term very, very loosely here) Republicans like Cheney or whatshisname left to stop it

Will the left actually try and stop/fight it? No, they won't.
In two and a half years' time, the USA as you know it will be gone. Any "civil war" idea is based on the right taking up arms against the duly appointed etc - but they won't need to.
So, we will get Ghost in the Shell situation? The USA divided into the United States of America, the Russo-American Alliance, and Imperial Americana?

I’m sure future historians will place the “official” start date at some point currently in our past.

—Patrick
What is really interesting is this isn't the first time we've done this. Rachel Maddow's Ultra podcast is pretty insane and I didn't realize just how close we came to the country going full fascist back in the 40's.