Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

If the dems take all three branches, they should fucking scorched Earth.

They won't, but you know, should.

Make Puerto Rico and DC states, increase the supreme court to like 30 people, fuck it, etc.

Dave

Staff member
You guys act surprised. There's no surprise here. As soon as RGB died it was a done deal that the seat would be filled. Our only hope is November and packing the courts as precedent has set.

You guys act surprised. There's no surprise here. As soon as RGB died it was a done deal that the seat would be filled. Our only hope is November and packing the courts as precedent has set.
The House can also fill up their time with impeachments.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, I still think the supreme court should be more than 9 lifelong god kings who have final say on everything.
They wouldn't be, if we'd stop worshiping the Constitution like it's written on golden tablets delivered from on-high.

Which goes right back to our God-forsaken two-party system. Having the choice be, only and always, Republican or Democrat is literally killing us.

figmentPez

Staff member
Dan Rather tweeted this:

And I'm terrified that he's not right. My response was, " You're far more optimistic than I am about how well informed the average American is. I think there are far too many who have stopped listening to the news because they think it's too partisan. Alongside many who think America is a democracy as long as their interests win out. "

I have at least one friend who thinks this is just normal Democrat vs Republican shit, and wants political people to leave people in the middle alone. I suspect a great number of Americans have no clue how unprecedented the Trump presidency is. I can't see any reason to believe that even half of Americans know just how much is at stake here, let alone most.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
They wouldn't be, if we'd stop worshiping the Constitution like it's written on golden tablets delivered from on-high.

Which goes right back to our God-forsaken two-party system. Having the choice be, only and always, Republican or Democrat is literally killing us.
The major flaw of the constitution is it did not conceive of the formation of factions within government dedicated to attaining and retaining power - IE, political parties. And when they started to form, George Washington actually spoke up and said "you know, I don't think political parties are a good idea..." and then Adams and Jefferson proceeded to ruin everything anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
And I'm terrified that he's not right. My response was, " You're far more optimistic than I am about how well informed the average American is. I think there are far too many who have stopped listening to the news because they think it's too partisan. Alongside many who think America is a democracy as long as their interests win out. "

I have at least one friend who thinks this is just normal Democrat vs Republican shit, and wants political people to leave people in the middle alone. I suspect a great number of Americans have no clue how unprecedented the Trump presidency is. I can't see any reason to believe that even half of Americans know just how much is at stake here, let alone most.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
I wish I could, but SO many people prefer a dictator that agrees with them (or one they think does) than actual democracy.

Fucking pure evil. Preying on people desperate for work and having them be the ones to oust folk, also desperate for work, from their homes while just collecting the lion's share of the money and using the "Well, we didn't personally do the shitty thing" half assed excuse to skirt responsibility.

Someone should burn down their head office.

Noticed a bit of a change in the last week that has me hopeful.

Here in Texas, during the election season, you often see groups of sign clusters littering fields and fences promoting candidates. One thing I always noticed though, is they have pretty much have always been Republican, even though my region is a lot more blue then most. The first big change regarding this happened in 2018 with Beto, but even that was on a more personal level, aka, car bumpers, front yards, etc. You still never saw any Beto signs or Democratic signs in these sign clusters. My two biggest guesses for this was either the person that owns the property gets to choose what signs go up in that area (if not public) or Democratic candidates never felt bold enough to promote using these clusters.

Now these clusters once again are up this year and have been for weeks, and I even saw one democratic sign among them that surprised me, but just this week I have noticed something. The clusters have nearly doubled in size. There are now dozens of Democratic signs going up all over the place in these clusters to promote Democratic candidates. I even watched as some men were putting up a sign on a fence cluster on a main road promoting a Democrat for a more local position.

Be aware this is super weird around here, even in blue areas, but the fact these signs are now infringing on what is usually Republican clusters is telling me that the Democratic push in Texas is as big as ever. Combined with the amount of Biden signs and stickers I am seeing, things are going to get interesting.

Please let this happen. They’d need to do something with the senate approval process though. There’s no reason one person should be able to decide whether or not to vote on a nominee.

you often see groups of sign clusters littering fields and fences promoting candidates. One thing I always noticed though, is they have pretty much have always been Republican
I have seen this repeated pretty much everywhere, regardless of the makeup of the community, and my take is that this is the lawn sign equivalent of trying to intimidate/drown out your opposition by flooding/interrupting/shouting over them/crowding them out, which would be totally on brand. It’s basically a DDoS designed to make non-MAGA voters feel like there’s no point in voting because it’s SO OBVIOUS that Trump has all the support.

—Patrick

Please let this happen. They’d need to do something with the senate approval process though. There’s no reason one person should be able to decide whether or not to vote on a nominee.

Leave it to the Democrats to do the right thing... eventually, after having it blow up in their faces.

I really don't understand how the Republicans can argue against this though: it makes Supreme Court nomination years much more predictable, which is turn gives them a better chance of seating conservative justices in a legitimate fashion.

figmentPez

Staff member
Leave it to the Democrats to do the right thing... eventually, after having it blow up in their faces.

I really don't understand how the Republicans can argue against this though: it makes Supreme Court nomination years much more predictable, which is turn gives them a better chance of seating conservative justices in a legitimate fashion.
But it also reduces their chances of packing the courts in an illegitimate fashion. Reminder that Republicans argue against taxation of the rich as a central pillar of their political platform. They're a whole party of people willing to give up a better situation for everyone, under the promise that they won't have to pay as much in taxes when they finally get a winning lottery ticket.

I watch this video, and I don’t care what political party he’s with or whatever, I want to know why some aide or somebody does not burst into frame within five seconds of it starting. Get him to a hospital already! NOW!

—Patrick
Pretty sure that happened, since the feed cut out and all.

I watch this video, and I don’t care what political party he’s with or whatever, I want to know why some aide or somebody does not burst into frame within five seconds of it starting. Get him to a hospital already! NOW!

—Patrick
Eh, more people die of the flu than strokes.