Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
A lot of people are in favor of bringing spanking back, yeah.

Frankly, corporal punishment never worked on me, so I kinda have a dim view of its purported effectiveness.

Holy shit, who would have thought the economy is in such shambles? How could this happen? How does consumer spending drop so precipitously? I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

I bet the stock market is somehow higher next week because Wallstreet is bullshit.

Frankly, corporal punishment never worked on me, so I kinda have a dim view of its purported effectiveness.
It really only teaches kids not to trust you and outright fear you even being around, depending on how severe you are.

Little bit personal story, but when I was a young kid my parents divorced and my mother quickly got a boyfriend that was extremely abusive. He didn't only abuse her, which scarred me, but was very intent on bringing me "real discipline" by spanking me hard any time he was upset about something I did. I came to fear the sound of him coming home and often just kept myself in my room the minute I heard his truck pull up, and on bad days locked myself in the bathroom. When my father got custody of me, I had to go to therapy for years, because I was literally afraid any time I heard a truck pull up, because I thought it was him coming to get me.

On the other side my father was verbally firm but still supportive and not abusive. I respected him so much, that the times I did make him angry, I knew I had to have done something very bad because seeing him angry was so rare, and I did all I could to not disappoint him again. Make your kids respect you, don't make them fear you. That is how I try to do things with my own kids now.

Holy shit, who would have thought the economy is in such shambles? How could this happen? How does consumer spending drop so precipitously? I DON'T UNDERSTAND. I bet the stock market is somehow higher next week because Wallstreet is bullshit.
pending.png

So instead of getting a check out in July as was originally forecast, if each stimulus check is expected to be around $1200/person, and they wait until Sept 28th to send them, and the average number of Coronavirus deaths in the US per day is around 925, then that means waiting until the 28th will save the federal government a cool $66 million. So thrifty!

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I used to be on the whole "corporal punishment is okay" thing but have changed my views 180 degrees in the last few years. The science just didn't support my views. Anecdotally, my generation was "fine" even though we experienced it, but looking around now, I'm not sure that repressed anger and hurt were actually something that were positive. In fact, it was not anything acknowledged. I believe I've even said on this very board that I was for it.

I've actually softened on that as I got older, not hardened in my views.

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to be on the whole "corporal punishment is okay" thing but have changed my views 180 degrees in the last few years. The science just didn't support my views. Anecdotally, my generation was "fine" even though we experienced it, but looking around now, I'm not sure that repressed anger and hurt were actually something that were positive. In fact, it was not anything acknowledged. I believe I've even said on this very board that I was for it.

I've actually softened on that as I got older, not hardened in my views.
I also used to say things like "somebody's parents didn't beat them enough when they were a kid" when an adult was doing something dumb.

But what really got me thinking about it, ironically, was the king of the hill episode about corporal punishment.

I am glad you changed your views on this, but it really brings up something that really bugs me.

When my son was born, my wife and I did all the recommended precautions to make sure he was safe. No pillows or blankets until he could move his head on his own, no stuffed animals, trying to get him to sleep a certain way covered all the outlets, etc. Whenever I would bring up something about my precautions to my step-father though (Not the same guy as the old boyfriend btw) he would make some snide comment about how "Oh, how did we survive." or "People are too soft these days." It always bugs me, and I had to call him out once or twice, "You survived because you were lucky the universe decided not to have you smother yourself on a pillow. Sadly, there were a lot of other kids born in your time that were not so lucky."

There has been this rooted problem where older people see how they experienced things and assume since they survived then the system works. Personally? I think it's a pride thing. As I am now 37 I catch myself doing it sometimes too but I am aware enough to stop myself.

Last edited:
It's almost like Captialism doesn't work when you don't have an infinite amount of bodies to toss into the furnace or enough force to make people toss themselves in for you.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's almost like Captialism doesn't work when you don't have an infinite amount of bodies to toss into the furnace or enough force to make people toss themselves in for you.
I think it's *slightly* more nuanced than that.. more along the lines of, exponential-growth-at-any-cost is a dangerous way to be capitalist, and having a business model where even the slightest disruption in cash flow means disaster... well... means disaster.

Somewhere along the line, everybody decided the best way to get rich was to burn all the candles at both ends in the hopes of finding more candles in the brightness before your over-burning candles flickered out, and you dared not have every single candle burning at both ends at all times for fear someone else who WAS would find the candles before you.

But saying "capitalism doesn't work" in this case is like saying "I guess trains don't work" when an engineer falls asleep and doesn't hit the brake coming into the station. Only, I guess the metaphor would be more along the lines of, every engineer being worried that if he's the last train into the station, he won't get a platform.

Dave

Staff member
I think the metaphor with the trains works well but a different way.

For years our trains have been moving faster and faster to shave time off of the route and save money. But now a storm made the rails slippery and...well...the whole thing is derailing.

GasBandit

Staff member

For years our trains have been moving faster and faster to shave time off of the route and save money. But now a storm made the rails slippery and...well...the whole thing is derailing.
I know it's a trite comparison, but it does have some apt parallels to the crash 100 years ago brought on by the craze of buying stocks on margin.

If you can imagine an economy as being represented by the water cycle, there's only so much water that can be evaporated from the surface before some of it starts falling back to Earth. If something upsets this cycle and inhibits or even prevents this return (global warming, CO2, whatever), then this cycle slows down as there is less and less water to evaporate. Insisting that something must be wrong with the dirt since it isn't giving up as much moisture as it used to blindly ignores the fact that it hasn't rained.

[If] the number of incredibly wealthy entities is very small (e.g., due to consolidation), or the time between these events is very long (e.g., wealth held by semi-immortal corporations rather than by individuals), then droughts become very severe and very painful for anyone who does not live amongst the clouds.
Right now the clouds have all the water, the ground has no more to give...and something else has to, otherwise [more] people gonna die. Or else they're going to realize they have nothing to live for, and do something desperate.

--Patrick

I didn't post this here, did I?

Hong Kong is now delaying their elections for a year "Because of Corona" and not at all so that China can fill the vacuum for them.

Trump has announced that TikTok is being banned. While its absolutely Chinese spyware, I can't help but suspect the rationale is because the youths have been using TikTok to organize anti-trump stuff.

Yeah, I don't think there is any question.

"Tok Tik? What is that? Oh, the kids are using it? Using it to make fun of me? No, we should... we should ban that... we can ban that, right?"

Yeah, they're worthless write-off people and people should stop trying to pander to them or expect anything useful from them.

That narrative would suggest the only way to "cure" this problem would be to exterminate them all.
And right as you were aiming to kill the last one, he'd be yelling at you, "I knew it! I knew the lot of you were always out to get us! This proves it! I kneBLAM."

--Patrick

Well, duh. Kanye is a Trump supporter. If it had gone at all over well, he might 've been able to siphon a few percent of black support away from Biden in "safe" states in what "was going to be a blowout anyway", and suddenly Trump manages to scrape by.