Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Dave

Staff member
Not sure if it was posted here or not, but did anyone see that the new guy in the post office (the evil bastard trying to help Trump steal the election) took a shitload of stock in Amazon before starting his USPS purge?

Not sure if it was posted here or not, but did anyone see that the new guy in the post office (the evil bastard trying to help Trump steal the election) took a shitload of stock in Amazon before starting his USPS purge?
You left out the part where he and his wife also have, like, $60+ million invested in UPS, J.B. Hunt, and other shipping/trucking businesses.

--Patrick

So once again, it's about the rich getting richer and to hell with anyone else. It's the same song every time, only with updated lyrics.

Okay it's kind of weird, but all the people I have spoken with that are pissed about the post office are conservatives. No, I don't mean pissed about Trump kneecapping the service as they are still blissfully delusional, but just the fact that said service has now gone to crap and they ain't getting the stuff they rely on, like medication, paychecks, etc. I even read about some areas where conservatives were already more likely to use mail-in voting compared to democratic voters, and how they think democrats are suppressing their ability to vote by not mailing them their details on time.

If this backfires for Trump I am going to chuckle.

Many rural areas in my area are moving to mail in only voting this year. These people also rely on the mail for almost everything. I’d like to believe this would blow up on him, but I’m sure there’s always a way to blame the democrats.

So basically he's holding the USPS hostage to get what he wants in terms of the next stimulus package (read: billions more in tax breaks for his cronies).

Okay it's kind of weird, but all the people I have spoken with that are pissed about the post office are conservatives. No, I don't mean pissed about Trump kneecapping the service as they are still blissfully delusional, but just the fact that said service has now gone to crap and they ain't getting the stuff they rely on, like medication, paychecks, etc. I even read about some areas where conservatives were already more likely to use mail-in voting compared to democratic voters, and how they think democrats are suppressing their ability to vote by not mailing them their details on time.

If this backfires for Trump I am going to chuckle.
Conservatives (especially older conservatives) generally aren't able to comprehend entire systems of work or how affecting something they don't like affects them. So when they rail against systems they use but they percieve as unduly benefiting others, because they don't understand how these programs actually work in their favor, they are surprised when services they rely on suddenly stop working. They don't understand why the system isn't able to just simply stop working for people and means they don't like, but still work for themselves. This is because conservatives routinely engage in cognitive dissonance in order to protect their self-image and social identity.

If you want a longer, better answer to why this happens, look at some works about System Justification, especially cognitive dissonance theory and false consciousness.

when they rail against systems they use but they percieve as unduly benefiting others, because they don't understand how these programs actually work in their favor, they are surprised when services they rely on suddenly stop working.
dangleopards.jpg

"All neighborhoods matter."

--Patrick

"strikes at the heart of the second amendment - the right to armed self-defense".
The heart of the second amendment really is whatever people need it to be at any given time. Is it for self defense? For organizing a militia? To protect from an overreaching government? Who cares - as long as it allows you to own a machine gun!

For "self defense", you don't need more than ten bullets. Every single study ever done shows a gun doesn't work for self defense anyway, but still - if you're shooting that much, you're in a movie or TV show, or there's too many of them. Learn to call the cops.

GasBandit

Staff member
A lot of really dumb people also seem to think that you have to be in melee range to use a gun. Rifles are rifled for a reason.

If you are "coming at" anybody with a gun, you are gunning wrong.

For "self defense", you don't need more than ten bullets.
Well, not if you actually practice.
The only “defense” role I can see for a large capacity magazine is so you can lay down cover fire, and not because you need to defend against a dozen attackers. If that many aggressors are charging at you, you probably should’ve left a long time ago.
If you are "coming at" anybody with a gun, you are gunning wrong.
Agreed. A rifle is for convincing people to stay far, far away, and not for close combat. Unless maybe you’re literally swinging it at people.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
A reminder to my fellow Texan halforumites - while absentee voting is on a needs basis, Texas does do early voting. Early voting starts October 13th, but you still need to be registered and you will need photo ID.

To check your registration and find a polling place for early voting, go to https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do and enter your name, county, and zip code. Click the link for the Nov 3 2020 presidential election, which will open a new small window. 3/4ths down that page will list places you can go to vote early, and when they are open.

The stuff happening in Belarus has been pretty nuts. The whole country is almost on strike, leading to crazy images like this.

Lukashenko even flew in to have a speech at a factory, with what was supposed to be a crowd of his supporters, only for the crowd to chant "Resign!" and "Go Away!". Remember, this is the guy that won by supposedly 80% of the vote. It's looking more and more like that number was absolute bullshit.

How is he handling it? Well other then beating up and torturing protesters, Lukashenko is threatening to have the Russian military come in to bring order, that he would have no second election, and that if they want to remove him, they would have to kill him.

I know we already knew Lukashenko was pretty much a dictator, but watching this all unfold both makes me realize how fragile any government can be. I don't want Trump to become our Lukashenko. We got to get him out.

Dave

Staff member
Translation: They caught us so we're stopping THIS attempt at stealing the election. We'll try other avenues people aren't paying attention to.

GasBandit

Staff member
The guy who voices (well, voiced) Early Cuyler on Squidbillies (which I just learned has STILL been making new episodes up through this year, to my amazement) just got shitcanned for talking shit about Dolly Parton's support of BLM.

What's that Dolly quote? Something like: "I don't mind when people call me a dumb blonde, because I know I'm neither of those things."

--Patrick