Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Democrat Jared Golden, despite not getting the most first place votes, has been elected to congress from Maine thanks to ranked choice voting.

Susan Collins is now the only republican representing any New England state in either chamber of congress.

GasBandit

Staff member
Democrat Jared Golden, despite not getting the most first place votes, has been elected to congress from Maine thanks to ranked choice voting.

Susan Collins is now the only republican representing any New England state in either chamber of congress.
And to be fair, she's one of the first names that comes up when the term "RINO" is bandied about.

GasBandit

Staff member
Which is totally unfair. She's a republican through and through. I 100% believe she would've voted to repeal the ACA if she knew McCain would vote against it.
I disagree. She's been the Democrats' first go-to (aside from maybe her former co-RINO, Olympia Snowe) to end filibusters, and has been a vocal supporter of gay rights and pro-choice causes. She's also gone VERY on record as being opposed to repealing Obamacare.

On any major controversial issue that hinges on republicans clinging to a razor-thin majority, Collins is always one of the first to cross the aisle.

I disagree. She's been the Democrats' first go-to (aside from maybe her former co-RINO, Olympia Snowe) to end filibusters, and has been a vocal supporter of gay rights and pro-choice causes. She's also gone VERY on record as being opposed to repealing Obamacare.

On any major controversial issue that hinges on republicans clinging to a razor-thin majority, Collins is always one of the first to cross the aisle.
Yes, but she chose to renounce her humanity when she appended that R to her name. . .

Huh. That started out as nasty sarcasm and ended as a clever reference to Asimov's robots.

GasBandit

Staff member
Collins talks a lot, but her voting record the last few years tells a better story.
Well, I mean, according to OnTheIssues...

Rated 83% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record.
Rated 78% by the HRC, indicating a pro-gay-rights stance.
Rated 68% by the LCV, indicating pro-environment votes.
Rated 25% by USBC, indicating an open-border stance.

Granted there are other areas where she's mixed or falls in line, but the Dubya years definitely cemented her as the easiest R nut to crack when the dems wanted to break their majority.

Well, I mean, according to OnTheIssues...

Rated 83% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record.
Rated 78% by the HRC, indicating a pro-gay-rights stance.
Rated 68% by the LCV, indicating pro-environment votes.
Rated 25% by USBC, indicating an open-border stance.

Granted there are other areas where she's mixed or falls in line, but the Dubya years definitely cemented her as the easiest R nut to crack when the dems wanted to break their majority.
The political climate was a lot more lax under Dubya than it is now, at least as far as bi-partisanship goes.

The collective asshattery that pundits and such have been guilty of lately regarding Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, one of the only literal working class congresspeople, in regards to her clothes, her housing etc, is pretty telling that they hate people who aren't rich.

She's an inspiration and I hope she can keep the energy and the enthusiasm through the no doubt crushing assault on her values she's going to have endure.

The collective asshattery that pundits and such have been guilty of lately regarding Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, one of the only literal working class congresspeople, in regards to her clothes, her housing etc, is pretty telling that they hate people who aren't rich.

She's an inspiration and I hope she can keep the energy and the enthusiasm through the no doubt crushing assault on her values she's going to have endure.
The fact that today they were giving her shit because she didn't look poor enough in her business suit tells me that they are also amazed she had a refrigerator.

The fact that today they were giving her shit because she didn't look poor enough in her business suit tells me that they are also amazed she had a refrigerator.
I'm not sure if you were trying to reference this but boy do I have an image for you.

I mean, I don't know why I would say that without referencing it. Seems like an odd thing to say out of the blue. Are you being sexist blots?! :p

Dave

Staff member
I'm putting this in the Politics thread because this should absolutely be here. Have you seen the numbers for the Butte fire?

63 Dead, 631 missing. Read that again. 63 confirmed dead. 631 - SIX FUCKING HUNDRED AND THIRTY ONE - missing. So the death toll could very well be almost 700 people killed in this fire. A lot of those missing may never be found as there's nothing left but bones and dust.

I found it on MSNBC and CNN but had to kind of look for it in both places. Couldn't see it on Fox News. And on the BBC News site? Top billing.

Yeah, it's almost unimaginable that there's a wildfire this bad in fucking November.
California may have technically ended our drought, but only just. We get very little rainfall these days. And what rainfall we do get comes usually between December and April. So for us there really hasn’t been a drop of moisture in 6 months or more, and this last winter wasn’t exactly pouring.

We are constantly dry and brittle in the wild areas out here, and November is also a season for the Santa Ana Winds, which are hot & dry gusts of wind that come up from the south. It’s a perfect recipe for causing wildfires.