Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Looks like he admits he shot her but it was an accident.

If that excuse is good enough for our boys in blue, why shouldn't it be for him?

Looks like he admits he shot her but it was an accident.

If that excuse is good enough for our boys in blue, why shouldn't it be for him?
Seriously? A 7 time felon is given the same standard of credibility as a Police Officer? Word of cops should not be unquestioned ever, but it's still better than 7-time felon.

Not to mention the claims (since retracted) that he didn't know what he had picked up and it went off. It changed after witnesses had him playing with it for many minutes before the shooting. I even believe it was an accident, but doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Either way, your border security fail caused this. Your sanctuary city fail helped it along.

Cops are part of an organization that has a well-documented history of lying and covering up misdeeds. They are inherently untrustworthy.

I'm not defending this guy, just pointing out the double standard.

And non-sanctuary cities just have a lot more crime go unreported since if you're an illegal immigrant, you're too scared to report a crime to the police. Sure it might've caused this, but sanctuary cities help more than they hurt.

And non-sanctuary cities just have a lot more crime go unreported since if you're an illegal immigrant, you're too scared to report a crime to the police.
Ya, you have a bunch of people there ILLEGALLY who aren't self-reporting that they're there illegally and should be deported. All that's unreported.
Sure it might've caused this, but sanctuary cities help more than they hurt.
Go up to Kate Steinle's father and tell him that. Let me know how that goes for you.

Dave

Staff member
Man, trying to compare this guy with cops is just a huge reach, man. And this was an accidental shooting, not a flat out murder. It was a ricochet that killed her. Having said that, the guy should not have had a weapon, nor should he have been in the country.

But having said THAT, a single case does not mean that sanctuary cities or open borders are a bad idea. I mean, I think completely open borders and completely closed borders are equally stupid.

But having said THAT, a single case does not mean that sanctuary cities or open borders are a bad idea. I mean, I think completely open borders and completely closed borders are equally stupid.
Sanctuary cities ARE a bad idea.

Completely closed borders are also bad. There's no reason to bring in lots of unskilled labourers though, as all that does it depress wages. And even skilled should not be brought in until the rate of employment of professional graduates is quite high (above 80%) to again, allow wages to increase in a labour MARKET.

So Immigration should happen, but not at the expense of those already in the country. It should complement in places where people are needed, not suppress wages where there is already excess and unemployment. And above all it should be controlled, not porous like your southern border is. When the number crossing illegally per year is in the hundreds of thousands (minimum, some say millions), you don't have that, and are just cutting the legs off of the low-skilled in your economy.

Not going to defend sanctuary cities (I’m not a fan at all), and I’m not touching the nonsense comparing him to police (really?!), but I want to remind everyone he was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He is going to definitely spend time in jail.

Also, the jury said they would have convicted him of 2nd degree or 3rd degree murder in a heartbeat, but the prosecutor was being stupid and overreaching without compromise. I actually side with the jury; there’s no way the man planned to kill a random stranger that day, so 1st degree murder was stupid.

GasBandit

Staff member
I want to remind everyone he was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He is going to definitely spend time in jail.
I just heard mere minutes ago on the radio that his conviction for felon in possession of a firearm was for three years and he's already spent two so he'll probably be out in a year.

But I guess there is a highly tarnished silver lining and that is that I C E says that when he is released he won't be released in San Francisco. Of course what's to stop him from coming back again?

Go up to Kate Steinle's father and tell him that. Let me know how that goes for you.
Go up to anyone who lost a child because they couldn't afford healthcare.

My point with the cops is more how people take their BS excuses at face value, but when it's an illegal immigrant their BS excuses arent taken seriously.

Go up to anyone who lost a child because they couldn't afford healthcare..
I'd have to cross a border for that one. I wouldn't have to cross a border to find many many MANY people with absolutely shitty experiences of waiting months or years to get diagnosed, let alone for treatment though.

I can't deal with the cognitive dissonance created knowing that my personal immigration policies wouldn't prevent this from happening, and I can't admit that I accept this as a reasonable cost for my personal policies, so instead I'm going to get on on soapbox about police and healthcare and hopefully distract people from the failure that allowed this death to happen and the fact that I'm ok with this particular individual dying, knowing that the felon will return for an 8th time after release next year. BECAUSE CHILDREN!
FTFY.

I guess I didn't make myself clear:

This is a reasonable cost for the good that sanctuary cities provide. I know that won't make her parents feel better, but if you flip it around, there'd be more parents you'd have to make feel better.

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess I didn't make myself clear:

This is a reasonable cost for the good that sanctuary cities provide. I know that won't make her parents feel better, but if you flip it around, there'd be more parents you'd have to make feel better.
Well, I guess you're never posting about shootings or gun control ever again, now that you've adopted the "acceptable cost" logic.

If you have two choices and one costs $12 and the other $20, then $12 is the better "cost."

Unless you'd like to argue that some people's lives are more valuable.

Edit: and if you have a solution that'd be better than either of the currently suggested options, that's great. I just haven't seen it here.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you have two choices and one costs $12 and the other $20, then $12 is the better "cost."

Unless you'd like to argue that some people's lives are more valuable.

Edit: and if you have a solution that'd be better than either of the currently suggested options, that's great. I just haven't seen it here.
I'd argue the life of an innocent is worth more than that of an 8-times-over criminal, personally.

I'm not talking about the killer. I'm talking about how without sanctuary cities, I can rob/rape/kill people and I know they won't go to the police because of fear of deportation.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not talking about the killer. I'm talking about how without sanctuary cities, I can rob/rape/kill people and I know they won't go to the police because of fear of deportation.
Or maybe, without sanctuary cities, illegal immigrants get sent home instead of exploited OR being allowed to continue breaking the law.

You guys realize you are reasoning from different premises, right? All you can do is talk past each other until you establish the same starting principles.
But then they'd have to actually argue about the topic, concluding with an agreement to disagree, and there'd be nothing to argue about.

Sanctuary cities exist because ICE fucked up once upon a time, and the Supreme Court ruled that local law enforcement is not required to help them do their job. That said, Sanctuary cities have different ways of acting, some of which go way beyond that scope. In Boulder, they just don't ask anyone's citizenship status, so they have no way to know unless ICE decides to check on their own. Releasing someone from prison who committed a violent crime because they are illegally in the country is fairly egregious for anyone to do.

The pictures that senators are posting on Twitter of what the tax bill currently looks like are completely terrifying.

And because changes were being made by pen up to the last minute, there are a lot of unknowns about it ... including by the people who voted on it.

And then they still have to reconcile it with the previous House-approved tax bill. So who the fuck knows what it'll look like by then.