Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Dave

Staff member
For reference, a standard train tanker car holds about 34,500 gallons, so that's just over 6 train cars worth. Imagine if it'd been a train crash and not a pipeline. They don't just have 7 on those.
Oh we're working only in hypotheticals now? Come on. Let's look at accidents involving oil transport by rail.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaig...il-transportation-a-timeline-of-failure/#rail

How many of those dumped 210,000 gallons? Answer? None. The most was about 40,000 gallons. Now look at the pipelines. 200,000 or 400,000 or 143,000 gallons. You are WRONG.

Wrongo. She says she accepts his apology, says he shouldn't step down, and says AN ETHICS INVESTIGATION IS NOT NEEDED. So why would she not want this investigated? Hmmm. I wonder.
It could just be that she's fine with the apology and wants the story to go away now. I could see how even a small act like that could be enough to make you feel better, without it needing to be dragged through the mud.

Oh we're working only in hypotheticals now? Come on. Let's look at accidents involving oil transport by rail.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaig...il-transportation-a-timeline-of-failure/#rail

How many of those dumped 210,000 gallons? Answer? None. The most was about 40,000 gallons. Now look at the pipelines. 200,000 or 400,000 or 143,000 gallons. You are WRONG.
Umm, a number of those said in the range of 10 cars and/or tankers off of the tracks, which is more than I said was equivalent to this pipeline one. A number of the smaller ones are a smaller number of cars. One of them linked there (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...evacuated-after-fiery-oil-train-crash-n354686 ) was 6 cars alone, so that's the same as the current incident.

And this isn't that long ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%C3%A9gantic_rail_disaster "Disaster" in the title there isn't an exaggeration. 70+ cars worth. It ALONE eclipses nearly all of the "pipeline" section of your webpage.

So your OWN LINK proves my point about trains being way worse. Thanks!

Dave

Staff member
That event you linked as a debunking spilled a total of 26,000 gallons. So nice try, Mr. Wrong Again.

(Although 40+ people were killed, which could really be argued to be worse, but the amounts spilled still backs my argument up.)

That event you linked as a debunking spilled a total of 26,000 gallons. So nice try, Mr. Wrong Again.

(Although 40+ people were killed, which could really be argued to be worse, but the amounts spilled still backs my argument up.)
That's the amount that did NOT burn and explode. There was an explosion of the oil.
People on the terrace at Musi-Café—a bar located next to the centre of the explosions—saw the tank cars leave the track and fled as a blanket of oil generated a ball of fire three times the height of the downtown buildings.[78] Between four and six explosions were reported initially[79] as tank cars ruptured and crude oil escaped along the train's trajectory. Heat from the fires was felt as far as 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) away.[80] People jumped from the third floor of buildings in the central business district to escape the fire. As the blazing oil flowed over the ground, it entered the town's storm sewer and emerged as huge fires towering from other storm sewer drains, manholes, and even chimneys and basements of buildings in the area.[78]
You took 26,000 US gal from the "aftermath" section below that:
The Chaudière River was contaminated by an estimated 100,000 litres (22,000 imp gal; 26,000 US gal) of oil.
So no, I'm not "Mr. Wrong" and that's pretty damned offensive right there, going way beyond debating the facts Dave.

Dave

Staff member
Well, turns out there's a reason Al himself asked for an ethics investigation and the lady in question said to the effect of "No, no. That's not necessary"
Cue my surprised face in 3...2...1...

Granted, the only thing that was altered was the metadata to make it fit her narrative, but the picture itself wasn't altered in any way. To whit: he was still actually acting out an action and not physically touching her. Pretty damning. /s

It’s possible for 1) Franken to be an asshole here, and 2) Tweeden to be manipulating the facts and timing specifically to damage Franken’s career, along with the left in general.

Those two are not mutually exclusive.

figmentPez

Staff member
Cue my surprised face in 3...2...1...

Granted, the only thing that was altered was the metadata to make it fit her narrative, but the picture itself wasn't altered in any way. To whit: he was still actually acting out an action and not physically touching her. Pretty damning. /s
Also, they're talking about a time-stamp, but what if the camera didn't have it's time set correctly? The camera in question doesn't have any sort of GPS or WiFi functionality, it can't update it's own time. Not only that, but it can't tell what time zone it's in. EXIF data isn't magic.

Yes, but what does it take to be most attractive to gay women and straight men? Is it also money and muscles? Or is it bucks and boobs? Bread and butts? Gold and gams? Eyelashes and estate planning? Who will champion the other side of the aisle???

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I did e-mail my rep and senators, and got three very voluminous explanations of everything I already knew plus their assertion that they're right and I'm not.

Calling doesn't work. Writing doesn't work. I'm not even sure if showing up at their office in the Capitol building still works.

I did e-mail my rep and senators, and got three very voluminous explanations of everything I already knew plus their assertion that they're right and I'm not.

Calling doesn't work. Writing doesn't work. I'm not even sure if showing up at their office in the Capitol building still works.
I could be wrong, but didn't mass calls to reps and senators work last time they tried pushing this through? I think when Obama was still in office.

GasBandit

Staff member
I could be wrong, but didn't mass calls to reps and senators work last time they tried pushing this through? I think when Obama was still in office.
To a degree, but it was at a different stage in the process then, and we're already past that point now. Things look grim.

Sadly, it is a war between the corporations, now. They are fighting over control to access you and me, bypassing all of us to influence your and my representatives directly. It is, frankly, a shameful undermining of the government processes we have built.

I've been giving more thought to citizen owned/controlled mesh wireless networks recently because of this. The tech is at the point where we could seriously start thinking about taking over much of the functionality of the internet.

Sadly, it is a war between the corporations, now. They are fighting over control to access you and me, bypassing all of us to influence your and my representatives directly. It is, frankly, a shameful undermining of the government processes we have built.
Sad thing is, corporations have meddled with government decisions for decades. It's the internet juggernauts now, but it was (and probably still is) the oil companies before that.

I, for one, am thrilled that we're getting rid of this meddlesome government intervention into how private corporations run things. The invisible hand will be righteous and just!

GasBandit

Staff member
I, for one, am thrilled that we're getting rid of this meddlesome government intervention into how private corporations run things. The invisible hand will be righteous and just!
Internet access is de facto civic infrastructure, same as streets and telephone service, and should be treated as such. There's plenty of free market goings-on out on the internet, but the "last mile" is subject to geographical monopoly and thus market forces don't apply.

Internet access is de facto civic infrastructure, same as streets and telephone service, and should be treated as such. There's plenty of free market goings-on out on the internet, but the "last mile" is subject to geographical monopoly and thus market forces don't apply.