Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

It's slightly chuckleworthy, also, that the author isn't actually a student at UCCS.
So they know who wrote it? Not really seen anything on the person that penned it, only that it was the first time it was ever submitted and that posting it was a mistake.

Honestly these types of obviously hostile letters are weird to me. Ever since it was discovered that conservative 4channers were making false fliers like "Don't Date Whites" with the names of local Antifa chapters, it's just hard to really know if it's just some alt-right troll trying to get negative sentiment to opposing groups through crafted outrage, or an actual person in said group that just took things way too far.

Looks like I-485 interviews will become mandatory (instead of only being applied at random and/or when fraud indicators are present), judging from the e-mail I just got. I wonder how far the "incremental expansion" will go, and how much money USCIS plans to milk from immigrants via extra fees.

uscis.PNG

Too political for the Video Game threads, though it's related: Ohio State revokes PhD of co-author of now-retracted paper on shooter video games
A researcher who co-authored a paper about video games that was retracted earlier this year has had her PhD from The Ohio State University revoked.

As WOSU reported this afternoon, the vote today of the university’s Board of Trustees was unanimous. The scheduled vote on whether to revoke Jodi Whitaker’s degree was first reported yesterday by The Columbus Dispatch.

While a graduate student at Ohio State, Whitaker was co-author of a paper that claimed to find that first-person shooter video games improved marksmanship. As we’ve reported, the paper, published online in 2012, was retracted earlier this year, two years after a university committee was alerted to irregularities in the data by two outside researchers.
So that's fine. I'm in favor of bad research being retracted. Great. But there's an additional aspect to this one that the article points out (and I agree) is somewhat odd and could be bad:
There were two authors on the problematic “Boom, Headshot!” study. That the female, junior researcher is found culpable for those problems while the male, senior researcher is not, seems questionable. During the investigation pertaining to the article in question, we discovered two different data files on the senior author’s computer between which the codes for variables were altered. These alterations occurred in a manner which supported the original study’s hypotheses. Additionally, the authors of the original study were unable to provide the raw data in order to confirm which data file was correct.
So the data problems were ONLY on the senior researcher's computer (ie: faculty advisor). But she's the one who gets thrown under the bus BIG time? You could run with the sexism angle of this if you really want to, but even without it, it's suspicious that the evidence of misconduct is on the advisor's computer, but the (former) grad student is the one who gets their career ruined, possibly forever.

So bad research retracted, that's a good thing. The misconduct thing ONLY falling on the junior person (sexism or not), when the evidence is only on the senior researcher's computer... that's just horrible.

Too political for the Video Game threads, though it's related: Ohio State revokes PhD of co-author of now-retracted paper on shooter video games

So that's fine. I'm in favor of bad research being retracted. Great. But there's an additional aspect to this one that the article points out (and I agree) is somewhat odd and could be bad:

So the data problems were ONLY on the senior researcher's computer (ie: faculty advisor). But she's the one who gets thrown under the bus BIG time? You could run with the sexism angle of this if you really want to, but even without it, it's suspicious that the evidence of misconduct is on the advisor's computer, but the (former) grad student is the one who gets their career ruined, possibly forever.

So bad research retracted, that's a good thing. The misconduct thing ONLY falling on the junior person (sexism or not), when the evidence is only on the senior researcher's computer... that's just horrible.
Yeah, I'm expecting The Lantern to eviscerate the faculty over this, but Bushman is friends with Michael Drake and that means he's untouchable, unfortunately.

So, I'm not all that much up on my Bible studies. First the Sun disappears from the sky. Then a third of the world is submerged in the sea. Then a third is burned to ashes. What's next? Was it the rain of blood, or the swarms of locusts?

Nope, because everyone loves when their senator does it but hates it when it is the other side.
Both of my senators can fuck right the fuck off. Their families are also pieces of shit. Really. You already met Heather Bresch, Manchin's daughter. Shelley Capito's daddy Arch sold the state out on multiple occasions when he was governor. Most notably after the Buffalo Creek Disaster.

Both of my senators can fuck right the fuck off. Their families are also pieces of shit. Really. You already met Heather Bresch, Manchin's daughter. Shelley Capito's daddy Arch sold the state out on multiple occasions when he was governor. Most notably after the Buffalo Creek Disaster.
DA, you know what I'm talking about here. I don't mean literally everyone in their districts, but the vast majority in the district. You, sir, are an anomaly. ;)