Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Page back where the Rebel Media's boss claims that they're not alt-right and the racism in Charlottesville disgusts them...while at the same time calling Milo Yiannopolis loveable and saying that just because those people were waving Nazi flags, doesn't make them Nazis necessarily.

Page back where the Rebel Media's boss claims that they're not alt-right and the racism in Charlottesville disgusts them...while at the same time calling Milo Yiannopolis loveable and saying that just because those people were waving Nazi flags, doesn't make them Nazis necessarily.
I'd never even heard of Rebel until that post. Now I keep seeing news of its apparent collapse.

Someone needs to nail this XKCD to the forehead of every single person at Huffington Post. They're trying to make the Daily Stormer shutdown into a free speech issue when it isn't.

Remember, the Rebel Media, which has "NOTHING" to do with the alt-right, employs this white nationalist asshole. King of the alt-knights.
Whatever you may think of Gavin, he disavowed that rally BEFORE it happened. He wasn't there, and didn't want the Proud Boys there either (and I've yet to see reporting saying that they were). That's all in the first minute of that video. He's continually said he and the Proud Boys aren't racists (and they publicly have a number of non-white members, for example, in the Halifax incident 2/5 of them were Metis). That doesn't mean it's necessarily true, or that group doesn't have problems, but nothing I've seen endorses that he's the same as the KKK, and publicly has disavowed them on previous occasions too.

Ok, I was replying to the fact that Ezra Levant claims that the Rebel isn't alt-right affiliated but still has people like Gavin "ALT-KNIGHT" McInnes still on staff.

Statesman: Dan, Fran Keller to get $3.4 million in ‘satanic day care’ case
excerpt said:
Dan and Fran Keller, who spent more than 21 years in prison after they were accused of sexually abusing children during supposed satanic rituals at their South Austin day care facility, will receive $3.4 million from a state fund for those wrongly convicted of crimes.

(..) The Keller case made national news after three children accused them in 1991 of leading ghastly satanic rituals that supposedly included desecrated graves, videotaped orgies, dismembered babies and tortured pets. No evidence of such activities was discovered at their in-home day care facility, and the case against them collapsed about two decades later when the only physical evidence of abuse was acknowledged as a mistake by the examining physician.

Think she'll be called sexist and pilloried for her statements? Girls Who Code founder: Men build technologies to 'replace their mothers'
In a statement that Saujani admits is controversial, she argues that empathy tends to be "uniquely female" and is the primary difference between the problems boys and girls choose to solve with the technologies they create.

Saujani recounts when two young female students -- Lucy and Maya -- "built an app [about] lead poisoning because they saw that kids were dying in Flint, Michigan." She also recalls a bunch of girls in Austin who built a tool back in June 2016 to track where Zika was going "because Congress couldn't get it together to pass a bill for funding." (Congress eventually passed a bill in September 2016 to help fight the Zika virus and study its effects).

Men, on the other hand, create companies "to replace their mothers," says Saujani, who is herself the mother of a two year old boy.
She cites on-demand apps like Uber Eats and Wag, both of which were created by males and solve immediate issues or desires like food delivery and dog walking.
"I don't want to make sweeping generalizations. One of the things I think I have found that is uniquely female is our empathy and our seeing what's happening in our home, our community, or the world, and wanting to do something about it," she says.
I particularly "like" the statement about not making sweeping generalizations, and then making one. I'd love for her to make a statement about something "uniquely male" that's positive. I wonder if she'll struggle with that one.

It seems like "replace their mothers" really means "gets people to do things for them." Which I guess mothers do, but that's such a pointed way to frame it. Also, paying people to do things for you that you don't want to do is a concept as old as human civilization.

Think she'll be called sexist and pilloried for her statements? Girls Who Code founder: Men build technologies to 'replace their mothers'

I particularly "like" the statement about not making sweeping generalizations, and then making one. I'd love for her to make a statement about something "uniquely male" that's positive. I wonder if she'll struggle with that one.
As a "girl who codes" I had a hard time getting through that article, I was cringing so much. There is so much wrong with her attitude and her stereotypes. There are plenty of men with empathy, and plenty of women who want to write restaurant delivery apps (I love restaurant delivery apps! I love that I can use my iPad to make food appear at my door in 20 minutes!). "Uniquely [GENDER]" is such a horrible, damaging concept.

As a "girl who codes" I had a hard time getting through that article, I was cringing so much. There is so much wrong with her attitude and her stereotypes. There are plenty of men with empathy, and plenty of women who want to write restaurant delivery apps (I love restaurant delivery apps! I love that I can use my iPad to make food appear at my door in 20 minutes!). "Uniquely [GENDER]" is such a horrible, damaging concept.
Great to hear your view on this topic. I've had varying personality types on those I work with as well, regardless of gender, though that's not IMO the more important question.

The question of the day (month/whatever) IMO is this: Is there no mental/brain difference in the genders, and any differences are 100% social pressure/upbringing? Or do the sexes each have something unique to offer? Or is there massive overlap in the bell curves, but there are differences on-the-whole that are the result of genetics, and not only social pressures?

Great to hear your view on this topic. I've had varying personality types on those I work with as well, regardless of gender, though that's not IMO the more important question.

The question of the day (month/whatever) IMO is this: Is there no mental/brain difference in the genders, and any differences are 100% social pressure/upbringing? Or do the sexes each have something unique to offer? Or is there massive overlap in the bell curves, but there are differences on-the-whole that are the result of genetics, and not only social pressures?
I think that like many other areas of human biology, we are discovering that these things are spectrums rather than binaries, influenced by both nature and nurture. So absolute statements like "uniquely female" not only ignores men with those characterics, but also erases quite a few women.

Her statement that empathy is 'uniquely female' is just mind boggling--has she never heard of the Dalai Lama or Pope Francis?

For being a programmer, you just need to love problem solving/troubleshooting and be able to learn on your own. Gender doesn't matter.

Dave

Staff member
Not only that, but it really downplays those women who work in fields that require empathy and caring. Instead of saying, "You're a good person who is doing this and look at the achievements you've made working for something!" we get, "Well, it's because they are women and all women are empathetic and good caregivers."

WV's governor is whining that now neither party wants anything to do with him. Cry me a river, nazi asshole. Yeah, even after Charlottesville, he continues to embrace Trump.

It's not uncommon* for law enforcement to say things like, "Hey, random person, I have this really nasty headache. Can I have one of your prescription-only headache pills? I hear they work really well." And then the Good Samaritan gets arrested for "trafficking." Strangely enough, I hear this happens more often to people who are currently on probation for drug offenses...

--Patrick
*i.e., anecdotally, I have heard from multiple people...

I wasn't sure of the thread for general governmental outrage, but this seems good enough as this could happen anywhere: $4,000 Enmax water bill has family drowning in difficulty
He said, 'There's no way that this amount of water can go unnoticed; it would have been pouring out of your basement windows since it's the equivalent of filling an Olympic-sized swimming pool or as much water as a 60-unit apartment building uses in a month.'"
Like most bullies who run and hide when confronted, Enmax and the City of Calgary wouldn't speak to Postmedia. Instead they sent a joint statement, which reads in part: "We understand that receiving a high bill can be stressful and we make every effort to understand our customer’s particular situations.

"Customers are often surprised by how much water can be consumed in a month," reads the statement. "For example, a leaky toilet can use up to 22 litres of water per minute, which can add up to as much as $3,000 per month with water and associated fees."

Meanwhile, on the City of Vancouver website it says a leaky toilet can waste 750 litres of water per day at a cost of $270 per year. That's an enormous discrepancy.
Fucking assholes. FYI Enmax is city-owned (crown corporation for the other Canadians here), and thus it isn't merely a corporate asshole thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
So this just happened while I was here in Colorado Springs (saw it on the local news last night)

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Co...veterans-to-white-supremacists-441704493.html

somebody posted a "Social Justice" newsletter around UCCS saying that all veterans are basically conservatives, and therefore unsympathetic to LGBTQ, and therefore white supremacists, and therefore should be banned from UCCS and all other 4 year institutions of higher learning.

Thankfully the University administration has their head on straight, and say that the posting falls under free speech, but note that the author's position is both illegal and morally reprehensible.

It's slightly chuckleworthy, also, that the author isn't actually a student at UCCS.