Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Hmmm, most airlines don't allow unaccompanied minors to not fly direct, but maybe that's just for younger kids who need staff supervision.

Hmmm, most airlines don't allow unaccompanied minors to not fly direct, but maybe that's just for younger kids who need staff supervision.
Probably just younger kids, I started doing layovers alone at 15 (so at least Delta, KLM, and Air France don't care).

Reactions: Dei
Probably just younger kids, I started doing layovers alone at 15 (so at least Delta, KLM, and Air France don't care).
Gotta be an age limit on it, or something, but it's not a NEW thing for minors to fly as I remember back in the early 90s my 15-year-old sister supervised my brother and I (both younger) across INTERNATIONAL connections (much like how in this case it was, Denver - Toronto - Thunder Bay, the last two being in Canada). So it's been a "thing" for quite a while.

In the story I linked the person was 15. I don't have a problem with them traveling alone, but when things go wrong, they (probably) can't rent a hotel room by themselves for instance, as that usually requires a credit card, which I don't think most teenagers have (do they?). Bank cards aren't the same, and even then, can they get a room by themselves? I've honestly never thought about this.

(Looked it up as an example, and Delta's unaccompanied minor program becomes optional at 15, which sounds reasonable)

In the story I linked the person was 15. I don't have a problem with them traveling alone, but when things go wrong, they (probably) can't rent a hotel room by themselves for instance, as that usually requires a credit card, which I don't think most teenagers have (do they?). Bank cards aren't the same, and even then, can they get a room by themselves? I've honestly never thought about this.
Not to use myself as the ultimate anecdote generator but... After the university coordinator that was supposed to pick me up blew me off (well, he sent me an e-mail while I was over international waters saying "hey, I can't pick you up, and you're not allowed to stay in the dorm until 4 days from now."), I hailed a cab, made it to the college town near midnight, and rented a room at the first hotel I tried. I used emergency cash for the cab, and a debit card for the hotel. I was 16.5-ish at the time, but my age didn't come into question at any point.

I think this was the last time I ever used a coin-operated computer (to check my e-mail at the airport). This was the first flight they lost my luggage on, too :p It was delivered a few days later, but thankfully there was a Ross within walking distance of the hotel.

Dave

Staff member
I'm surprised. In most cases you can't rent a hotel room under the age of 18. (Or is it 17? Been too long.)

I'm surprised. In most cases you can't rent a hotel room under the age of 18. (Or is it 17? Been too long.)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 18-21 depending on the hotel, because of liability/contract law. It was a Holiday Inn. Maybe the front desk took pity on me or something. It was a college town with non-negligible international student presence. All I know is I wasn't carded, and nobody was called.

They made a lifelong client, at least. I've directed my family, and many a-people going into the town, to stay there.

The biggest hurdle is that most hotels require a credit card, which generally can't be acquired in one's own name until age 18.

--Patrick

The biggest hurdle is that most hotels require a credit card, which generally can't be acquired in one's own name until age 18.
Isn't there a way to get a "child card" (essentially) off of a parent's account? The name on the card would be the child's, though the statement would still go to the parent.

I could be 100% wrong here, not being a parent.

The later at night it is, the more likely I'm gonna say 21. Even more so on weekends. And if you're paying cash on top of that, there's either an authorization on a card or a cash deposit. And again, that rule get set further in stone on weekends.

Isn't there a way to get a "child card" (essentially) off of a parent's account? The name on the card would be the child's, though the statement would still go to the parent.

I could be 100% wrong here, not being a parent.
You can do that but you'd need a parent willing to let you. You'd have to trust your kid not to spend like a moron.

You can do that but you'd need a parent willing to let you. You'd have to trust your kid not to spend like a moron.
Fair enough. I think I'd get one for a child in the case that I was, you know... sending a child off internationally? Saying to them "you're only to use this in an emergency, like for getting a hotel room, food, taxi out of a dangerous area, etc, and I WILL be checking the statement, and expect it back in my hand when you get home."

I won't blame them for NOT thinking of this (this is next-level planning IMO), but it's something for parents to think about in the future for their own child.

Fair enough. I think I'd get one for a child in the case that I was, you know... sending a child off internationally? Saying to them "you're only to use this in an emergency, like for getting a hotel room, food, taxi out of a dangerous area, etc, and I WILL be checking the statement, and expect it back in my hand when you get home."

I won't blame them for NOT thinking of this (this is next-level planning IMO), but it's something for parents to think about in the future for their own child.
My mother did this when I went to Great Britain/Ireland when I was 16, also because I got a better exchange rate than traveler's checks. I had to give it back once the trip was over.
My credit card in college was the same thing. It was off of grandmother's account, because she didn't want me signing up for my own card and racking up debt, like you always hear about happening to college students. She got the statement and I had to save every receipt to prove I wasn't spending irresponsibly. Anything that wasn't directly school related I had to run past her first if I was going to use the card.

So which is it you old assholes? Too lazy or too hardworking, either way, ruining the world.
If workplaces kept more than a minimal skeleton crew, we'd feel more confident in using PTO for longer stints, but the reality is that one person down for a week can cripple an office.

If workplaces kept more than a minimal skeleton crew, we'd feel more confident in using PTO for longer stints, but the reality is that one person down for a week can cripple an office.
In the quest to maximize productivity, we have minimized redundancy.

--Patrick

If workplaces kept more than a minimal skeleton crew, we'd feel more confident in using PTO for longer stints, but the reality is that one person down for a week day can cripple an office.
Fixed. :p

This was commencement weekend for the university. As such, just about every hotel in the area was sold out. We were "sold out" last night, only because we are so short staffed on housekeepers, nearly 75% of the building was down because we didn't have enough people to clean the rooms. And at this stage, we are lucky to have the few housekeepers we do have. Any further losses and we're really screwed, because I don't think there are going to be any new hires. And that's for any department. Not if the place is shutting down in about six weeks.

Hasn't this always been the case for every generation? The young, inexperienced workers trying to prove their dedidcation?
This isn't about young workers trying to prove their dedication though. This is about young workers ether being unable to take their vacation time because they'll face repercussions for doing so or simply being unable to afford to take time off because they are under paid for their work.

It's generally one of those two answers for ANY work related issues, really.

I take my time off, every year. I may only drive to Houston for a day during it, but I don't work for that week, or however long I'm off. I may work harder to prepare, and when I get back for a couple of days, but I'm taking that time that is part of my compensation. I think that too many (doesn't matter the age) believe that if you're off, you need to go somewhere, I've never been that person.

This isn't about young workers trying to prove their dedication though. This is about young workers ether being unable to take their vacation time because they'll face repercussions for doing so or simply being unable to afford to take time off because they are under paid for their work.

It's generally one of those two answers for ANY work related issues, really.
And even when they do dare to take time off, they get slammed by the boomer media for not vacationing in the "right" way. Like not taking that money they're not making and gambling in Vegas.

And even when they do dare to take time off, they get slammed by the boomer media for not vacationing in the "right" way. Like not taking that money they're not making and gambling in Vegas.
"Money they're not making"? I thought we were talking about vacation time (aka paid time off) not just taking a week off. There is a difference.

"Money they're not making"? I thought we were talking about vacation time (aka paid time off) not just taking a week off. There is a difference.
If they can't afford to take the time off, paid or not, then that's money they're not making.

The important thing to take away from what I said is the Boomer media will invariably do a hit piece on them not doing whatever it is Boomers think they should be doing. And even if they are doing it, the Boomers will hit them for not doing it "right."

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys have heard my vacation situation a hundred times over.

Hopefully, though, I've finally got someone trained (again) to be able to cover the stuff that can't wait for me to get back. I'll be taking TWO whole days off at the beginning of June!

Gagh, it's still gonna be such a pain in the ramp up and after the return.

But I hold out hope that it will go well and I can start taking actual time off and doing crazy things like visit relatives for a whole week or something. This is sort of a test run for that.

You guys have heard my vacation situation a hundred times over.

Hopefully, though, I've finally got someone trained (again) to be able to cover the stuff that can't wait for me to get back. I'll be taking TWO whole days off at the beginning of June!

Gagh, it's still gonna be such a pain in the ramp up and after the return.

But I hold out hope that it will go well and I can start taking actual time off and doing crazy things like visit relatives for a whole week or something. This is sort of a test run for that.
On your days off you may find this amusing: QWERpline

Funnier if you've ever lived in a small town.