Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

You guys have heard my vacation situation a hundred times over.

Hopefully, though, I've finally got someone trained (again) to be able to cover the stuff that can't wait for me to get back. I'll be taking TWO whole days off at the beginning of June!

Gagh, it's still gonna be such a pain in the ramp up and after the return.

But I hold out hope that it will go well and I can start taking actual time off and doing crazy things like visit relatives for a whole week or something. This is sort of a test run for that.
I took a week off and I'm a little scared of going into work tomorrow.

If they can't afford to take the time off, paid or not, then that's money they're not making.
To me, honestly, this doesn't make any sense.

The only way I can even see that, is if you are a sole proprietor of a business and don't have anyone else working for you. Everything else, no matter what anyone "above" you may say is just them prioritizing their desires over your earned time. I know what it's like to be the only one running a business, I worked for over 500 days straight at one point while running a comic book store, only having the days of Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas off.

The only way I can even see that, is if you are a sole proprietor of a business and don't have anyone else working for you. Everything else, no matter what anyone "above" you may say is just them prioritizing their desires over your earned time.
It's also a desire of not coming back to a chaotic hellscape. Sometimes it feels better to just not take off.

I kinda wish my office was staying open for Memorial Day, because playing catch-up for that day off is going to suck mightily.

The only way I can even see that, is if you are a sole proprietor of a business and don't have anyone else working for you. Everything else, no matter what anyone "above" you may say is just them prioritizing their desires over your earned time. I know what it's like to be the only one running a business, I worked for over 500 days straight at one point while running a comic book store, only having the days of Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas off.
My husband has been doing the work of 5 people since his company laid people off two years ago. If I didn't force him to take time off he would probably work himself into the ground because he hates catching up after coming back.

Literal shower thoughts, straight from the shower:

Right now we're doing a lot of overtime. If I take time off, I'm still going to have to work late on the days I'm in, maybe more than usual to make up for the time I wasn't putting in.

BUT I get paid overtime on a normal week. If I take off, those aren't working hours, those are PTO hours. They don't stack with working hours, meaning staying late on those other days will count as normal time until I've accumulated enough of them.

So to use PTO, I get to stress while not at work about the work, get to make up the work when I get back, and also get paid less. All to take a day or two off that I'm not going to do anything with, but just to use the PTO before I lose it.

Huh. Guess my generation really is the problem. In other news, I accept that I'll probably only be using 16 of the 64 hours I'll have accumulated by the cut-off when I lose it all.

Literal shower thoughts, straight from the shower:

Right now we're doing a lot of overtime. If I take time off, I'm still going to have to work late on the days I'm in, maybe more than usual to make up for the time I wasn't putting in.

BUT I get paid overtime on a normal week. If I take off, those aren't working hours, those are PTO hours. They don't stack with working hours, meaning staying late on those other days will count as normal time until I've accumulated enough of them.

So to use PTO, I get to stress while not at work about the work, get to make up the work when I get back, and also get paid less. All to take a day or two off that I'm not going to do anything with, but just to use the PTO before I lose it.

Huh. Guess my generation really is the problem. In other news, I accept that I'll probably only be using 16 of the 64 hours I'll have accumulated by the cut-off when I lose it all.
That sucks. When I was doing hourly at a university, PTO did stack with working hours IIRC. I pulled in overtime when I took two sick days and was then asked to stay the remaining three evenings to carve down the ensuing backlog.

I finally realized what that screaming was coming from across the street after all these years. My neighbor isn't some unbalanced wingnut I should stay far, far away from. He's just listening to Alex Jones at a high volume with the windows open.

GasBandit

Staff member
I finally realized what that screaming was coming from across the street after all these years. My neighbor isn't some unbalanced wingnut I should stay far, far away from. He's just listening to Alex Jones at a high volume with the windows open.
... Which means he's an unbalanced wingnut you should stay far, far away from?

That makes it seem less like you mean it when just saying it's unfortunate would've been taken as sincere.
I never know how people take what I say, which is why I appended the checksum.

At least the seed stores themselves weren't infiltrated, only the entrance.

--Patrick

The POTUS SCOTUS ruling wasn't specifically about trolls and East Texas, buuuuut...I'm sure it was no accident.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Still very early, and conflicting eyewitness reports abound, but something is going down in Marawi, Philippines.

CNN Philippines - Gov't forces, Maute group clash in Marawi City
Government forces clashed with members of the rebel group Maute in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur on Tuesday.
Reports said armed men have taken over the Amai Pakpak Medical Center, with the group allegedly replacing the Philippine flag with a black flag, supposedly representing the Islamic State (ISIS).
They have also reportedly blocked checkpoints in the vicinity.
Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) First Infantry Division Spokesman Lt. Col. Jo-Ar Herrera said the firefight started 2 p.m. at Barangay Basak Malutlut.
(...)
There are eyewitness reports that the Marawi City Jail and the Dansalan Junior College were on fire.
CNN Philippines - AFP chief: 1 cop killed, 8 troopers wounded in Marawi clash
Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Gen. Eduardo Año told CNN Philippines on Tuesday that one policeman was killed in a firefight between government forces and the terror group Maute in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur.
Año also told CNN Philippines eight other government troopers were wounded in the clash, which erupted early afternoon as the lawless elements tried to rescue Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon.
The AFP chief said less than 50 armed men from the Maute group were scattered across the city but the situation has been contained.
"We are in full control, itong mga armadong ito (these armed men), they are trying to distract the troops...We are fully in control, but we are clearing one by one," Año said.
However, in a separate statement, AFP spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said that intermittent gunfires were still ongoing.
"Our operation is still ongoing in Marawi City and sporadic firefight is still continuing," Padilla said.
Maute are a Daesh-adjacent group.