Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Interesting article: Trump’s Riyadh farce exposed in Manchester
This line in particular seems true, no matter your leaning: The only winner at the Riyadh circus was America’s military-industrial complex, which can sell weapons of war to dictatorships who will not be able to stop another Manchester bombing, no matter how many billions worth of tanks and fighter jets they buy.

Wait, why would they want to stop it, when it's so good for business?

So I can't watch the video (though I think it exists), but apparently one of the candidates for the special election in Montana today beat up a reporter fairly badly yesterday. Montana also allows you to register the day of the election. I don't know the details of the race, but I feel like that's not a great move.

So I can't watch the video (though I think it exists), but apparently one of the candidates for the special election in Montana today beat up a reporter fairly badly yesterday. Montana also allows you to register the day of the election. I don't know the details of the race, but I feel like that's not a great move.
It's been all over twitter tonight. The Fox reporters who were witnesses gave a more graphic account than the victim himself. A spokesman tried to make it seem okay to do it because he was a "liberal." At least two papers have rescinded their endorsement in light of the incident.

The guy has been charged with misdemeanor assault, but it is also noted that the local sheriff is one of his campaign donors.

Dave

Staff member
Eh, they were probably real. The reports of their adventures may have been exaggerated, though.

--Patrick
Yeah, a mystical man who built a boat that fit two (or more) of every animal then repopulated the world through incest, and a guy that was created out of dust and then populated the world through incest. Probably real? No, I sincerely doubt that.

Noah was just a guy who waited out the spring flood on the roof of his house with his pet cats.

Adam was an orphan who made up some crazy story to help him cope with the loss of his parents in an earlier flood.

He's the same guy who says retirement is not biblically correct because Adam and Noah lived into their 900s.

Yeah, and they made their kids do all the work after they fucked up living in paradise / saved all the animals, respectively.

The Bible is all about old people chillin' and ordering around the young'uns.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, and they made their kids do all the work after they fucked up living in paradise / saved all the animals, respectively.

The Bible is all about old people chillin' and ordering around the young'uns.
Or the young'uns getting the old guys liquored up and having babies by them. Which was again incest. The bible does love it some incest.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or the young'uns getting the old guys liquored up and having babies by them. Which was again incest. The bible does love it some incest.
If you tool around the seamier side of the internet, you'll see it ain't exactly gone out of style, thousands of years later.

Dave

Staff member
Remember that we are all related to one woman 150 thousand years ago.
That's not incest and you know it. Lucy is the first true genetic human and through her the genes were spread, but it's not like she exclusively boned members of her own family to procreate. (And I know you know this and was just being funny.)

I'm not sure if there is a video clip, but the audio is available:

That's not incest and you know it. Lucy is the first true genetic human and through her the genes were spread, but it's not like she exclusively boned members of her own family to procreate. (And I know you know this and was just being funny.)
An explanation that I heard a long time ago was there was an evolutionary bottle neck where Eve did have to breed with relatives after a serious disaster.

Damn, that's what I get for trying to remember stuff instead of looking it up first.
Especially since what you were remembering was fake news:

That wikipage MindDetective linked said:
The name "Mitochondrial Eve" alludes to biblical Eve.[10] This has led to repeated misrepresentations or misconceptions in journalistic accounts on the topic. Unlike her biblical namesake, she was not the only living human female of her time. The title of "Mitochondrial Eve" is not permanently fixed to a single individual, but rather shifts forward in time over the course of human history as the Eve maternal mtDNA lineage becomes extinct. Her female contemporaries, though they may have descendants alive today, do not have any alive who have descend in an unbroken female line.

An explanation that I heard a long time ago was there was an evolutionary bottle neck where Eve did have to breed with relatives after a serious disaster.
Again, one of my favorite graphics, from the book "Science Made Stupid:"
IMG_0022.GIF

(...except for the racist bit, of course)

--Patrick

And the piece of shit won the special election.

If I were a Democrat in Congress (alright, stop laughing), the first thing I'd do the moment after he was sworn in would be to introduce a bill abolishing Social Security, and include him by name in the bill as justification. If you can't live to your 900s like Adam or Noah, that's on you for not living biblically correct enough.

Yes, and everybody cares so much that he won by "only" 8% or something. That'll teach him! He's powerless! BWAHAHAA!
Oh, no, wait, winning by 99% or by one vote doesn't matter at all. Well waddayaknow.

Dave

Staff member
And the piece of shit won the special election.

If I were a Democrat in Congress (alright, stop laughing), the first thing I'd do the moment after he was sworn in would be to introduce a bill abolishing Social Security, and include him by name in the bill as justification. If you can't live to your 900s like Adam or Noah, that's on you for not living biblically correct enough.
About 66% of the votes were from early voting, which the event would have had no effect on.