Gas Bandit's Political Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kissinger said:
AshburnerX said:
We need to call it \"Transitioning\" offer Estate Tax Exemptions to those that offer to go throught it. But hey, at least we've found a way to make Social Security solvent: By killing everyone over 70! :rofl:
I like our current system: killing everyone who doesn't make $100,000 a year because they can't afford health care and are literally dying in the streets of treatable diseases.
So do you live in Canada or the UK? Because the very link I provided above shows you we've got the best survival rates around. Certainly better than countries that try to have government-run universal healthcare.

In case it wasn't apparent, everyone should go read Boomsday (By Chris Buckley, the guy who wrote Thank You for Smoking). It's about a woman who suggests voluntary, government sanctioned suicides to anyone 70 and over as a means to make Social Security solvent. It was supposed to be a meta-issue like the one proposed in A Modest Proposal, but it actually ends up going all the way to Washington. Great book, with a lot of humorous vitriol (some of it deserved) aimed at the Boomer generation and how they've made America worse off than the generation before it for the first time in US history. Read it if you can!

GasBandit said:
The exchange is government subsidized, meaning it will be a de facto public plan.
Utter nonsense. Private companies will be more than free to provide whatever coverage terms they want within the bill's requirements.

By this logic, the concept of corporations are communist because they have to pay incorporation fees and adhere to local tax law in order to operate.

Covar said:
How was Thank-you for Smoking as a book? Loved the movie, curious how the book would be.
Everyone I've asked said it was just as good, if not better. Another one of Buckley's books, Little Green Men, is getting made into a movie as we speak as well. It's about a talk show host, whose life if changed forever when he is abducted by aliens.

A

Armadillo

Kissinger said:
AshburnerX said:
We need to call it \"Transitioning\" offer Estate Tax Exemptions to those that offer to go throught it. But hey, at least we've found a way to make Social Security solvent: By killing everyone over 70! :rofl:
I like our current system: killing everyone who doesn't make $100,000 a year because they can't afford health care and are literally dying in the streets of treatable diseases.
I had a lovely day today after I got out of class: a nice lunch at a mom-and-pop place in NE Minneapolis, a little shopping at Target for some home necessities, and a visit to Kramarczuk's Deli to pick up ingredients for tonight's bratwurst cookout. All of this was accomplished without being inconvenienced by the massive piles of dead bodies strewn all about.

Seriously Kissinger, what the fuck are you talking about?

S

Steven Soderburgin

I was using hyperbole to illustrate our massively flawed health care system. The post was mostly made in jest. I have no desire to follow up on it, particularly in this thread, which I think should die.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kissinger said:
I was using hyperbole to illustrate our massively flawed health care system. The post was mostly made in jest. I have no desire to follow up on it, particularly in this thread, which I think should die.
Because it doesn't make $100,000?

What you said wasn't hyperbole, it was plain old falsehood.

GasBandit said:
Tress said:
GasBandit said:
What you said wasn't hyperbole, it was plain old falsehood.
Careful with the rocks you're throwing, GB.
People think I'm a troll. I got nothing on Kissinger.
I... I really can't argue that point. Both of you like stirring up the forum for the purposes of fun and/or discussion. I don't have a problem with either, really, but then I've always enjoyed :quote: trolls.

A

Armadillo

Sorry, I would have responded earlier, but I had to bring out the snowblower to clear my driveway of dead poor people. What were we talking about?

If you were a mayor, and your town was experiencing some major financial issues, what would you do?

If you're Jim Suttle of Omaha, NE, you hire a new financial director and pay her $80k more than her predecessor!

Funny note: After the report about the new financial director, there were reports on public pools closing early and advertising budgets being slashed in order to save money. There are also wage freezes on city employees.

A

Armadillo

If the F-22 isn't the right plane for the job, then scrap it. I'm just floored that this administration is showing financial restraint ANYWHERE.

Terrik said:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/world/view/us-senate-votes-to-stop-production-of-f-22-jet

So, no more money for the F-22. Good move? Bad move? It was a fantastic fighter (albiet with a hefty price tag) yet critics claims that its not suited to the type of wars we are fighting now has some merit I suppose.
Yeah, great, unless it's unless it's raining.

Important things to take away from the article-

Washington Times said:
...pushing its hourly cost of flying to more than $44,000, a far higher figure than for the warplane it replaces, confidential Pentagon test results show.

...vulnerability to rain and other abrasion...
I don't know about you, but if I pay $350 million for a plane that requires $44,000 an hour to operate, and runs into a critical failure on an average of 2 hours of flight, that right there isn't worth buying more of.

Abomination said:
If you were a mayor, and your town was experiencing some major financial issues, what would you do?

If you're Jim Suttle of Omaha, NE, you hire a new financial director and pay her $80k more than her predecessor!

Funny note: After the report about the new financial director, there were reports on public pools closing early and advertising budgets being slashed in order to save money. There are also wage freezes on city employees.
Your post doesn't say anything about them saving more money because they are getting rid of part time positions. Over all they are saving money, even though the person is making more than the person before them.

Want to see what earmarks your representative is requesting? This site has a list of everyone with a link to what they have disclosed. The site is also trying to get all of it put into a database so it is easier to search through them, and is looking for some help. They have a few prizes up for grabs for those that participate.

Shakey said:
Want to see what earmarks your representative is requesting? This site has a list of everyone with a link to what they have disclosed. The site is also trying to get all of it put into a database so it is easier to search through them, and is looking for some help. They have a few prizes up for grabs for those that participate.
Wow, almost half of the Representatives and Senators in Wisconsin do not request earmarks. That's kinda amazing.

Edrondol said:
Abomination said:

Your post doesn't say anything about them saving more money because they are getting rid of part time positions. Over all they are saving money, even though the person is making more than the person before them.

Sure, they are saving money by cutting the part-time positions, but what really gets me is that they say they need to close the pools down a week early in order to save 75k, and then turn around and pay someone 80k more per year. It just seems to me that if the city is in these dire financial straits that it would want to save that 100k per year. I voted for Suttle, but this just irritates me.

GasBandit

Staff member
In July, the CBO reported that healthcare legislation drafted by the House would add $239 billion to the federal deficit and actually increase healthcare costs. Now Obama wants a meeting with the director of the Congressional Budget Office. A head of the CBO has never been called into the white house before in its 35 year history. Some are equating this to an owner of a sports team asking the umpire to come up to the owner's box.

Remember the campaign? Remember "transparency" and "openness?" Hasn't been much of that has there? Here's even more grist for that mill. Even MSNBC's starting to fall out of love?

Nancy Pelosi says she's got the votes to pass the health care bill. Dick Durbin says he doesn't.

Hillary says that the US may deal with a nuclear Iran by arming its allies in the Gulf and extending a "defense umbrella" over the region. That's interesting.

The PR war is on between Barney Frank and the banking industry over consumer protection laws.

The House passed pay-as-you-go legislation in attempts to reduce the deficit. For reasons communicated in the past, I'm a bit skeptical about this.

A majority of Americans believe that the country is heading in the wrong direction. But the Republicans aren't offering them a better direction to head in. *cough*lookatthis*cough*

The federal government is warning its departments to stay away from trips to "fun" cities when hosting meetings.

Are we REALLY experiencing a healthcare crisis? A look at the parroted "46 million uninsured" statistic. You know what they say about lies and statistics..

Rep. Jeff Flake is set to file 540 amendment requests to strike every earmark in the defense-spending bill directed to for-profit companies.

The Michigan Democratic Party is considering asking voters to raise the state's minimum wage to $10 an hour. /facepalm.

"He who lets the world, or his own portion of it, choose his plan of life for him, has no need of any other faculty than the ape-like one of imitation. He who chooses his plan for himself, employs all his faculties. He must use observation to see, reasoning and judgment to foresee, activity to gather materials for decision, discrimination to decide, and when he has decided, firmness and self-control to hold to his deliberate decision.

The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

GasBandit

Staff member
AshburnerX said:
GasBandit said:
Hillary says that the US may deal with a nuclear Iran by arming its allies in the Gulf and extending a \"defense umbrella\" over the region. That's interesting.
It's actually the same thing that we've been trying to do in Eastern Europe. There have been talks of giving our European allies Missile Defense Technology and it's been making Russia VERY nervous, to say the least.
It's what Dubya was trying to do. Obama decided to throw it under the bus.

GasBandit said:
AshburnerX said:
GasBandit said:
Hillary says that the US may deal with a nuclear Iran by arming its allies in the Gulf and extending a \"defense umbrella\" over the region. That's interesting.
It's actually the same thing that we've been trying to do in Eastern Europe. There have been talks of giving our European allies Missile Defense Technology and it's been making Russia VERY nervous, to say the least.
It's what Dubya was trying to do. Obama decided to throw it under the bus.
To be fair, the Missile Defense system hasn't worked quite as well as most law makers imagine it does. It can reduce incoming missiles, but it's never going to be the impenetrable wall that some people think it is.

So has anybody been paying attention to the rumpus over Gates a well respected Harvard professor being arrested after police investigate a reported breaking and entering in process?

Of course it only got more coverage after Obama commented on how the police acted stupidly.

I mean the whole situation just boogles my mind. What were the police supposed to do? just ignore a possible break in? Or were they supposed to let the man continue to make a scene despite the fact that they were nothing but proffesional the entire time? I mean really what the hell could they have done to make the situation any better?

Dubyamn said:
So has anybody been paying attention to the rumpus over Gates a well respected Harvard professor being arrested after police investigate a reported breaking and entering in process?

Of course it only got more coverage after Obama commented on how the police acted stupidly.
I've heard a lot on it, and for some reason I thought there was a thread here, but I can't seem to find it.

To me, the man was being punished for mouthing off to a police officer, which should never be a crime.

Krisken said:
I've heard a lot on it, and for some reason I thought there was a thread here, but I can't seem to find it.

To me, the man was being punished for mouthing off to a police officer, which should never be a crime.
I was really shocked myself that there wasn't one. That and the Palin implication I thought would be huge news.

As for my read on the situation he was arrested because he refused to stop making a scene or go back into his house despite the cops behaving in a calm proffessional manner who warned him multiple times that they were going to arrest him if he didn't calm down.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can tell you, there's one house in Cambridge now that no police officer will respond to a burglary call about for a little while. So, if you're a night thief in Massachusetts, there's your easy target for tonight. Meanwhile, the white house is backpedaling as fast as they can from that "stupid cops" statement.

The Minimum wage goes up to 7.25 today. Prices go up, jobs go away.

See successful charter school, paying its teachers 18% above scale. See teacher's union. See teacher's union stick their fingers into successful charter school. See teachers fired.

English is our only lanaguage. /faceplam.

The "Blue Dog" Democrats are risking union support by resisting Princess Nancy's healthcare reform bill.

Enough with the global carbon apologism already. George Will explores why the urgency to "fight" climate change is wearing off. Long story short: Because while China and India refuse to play ball on carbon emissions, anything anybody else does is negligible, no matter how much they spend on going green. And China is promising in as many words more carbon than ever.

The Venezuelan government decides to fix the price of coffee. What eventually happens? People start smuggling it out of the country to make more money. Now Venezuela has to IMPORT coffee because of these government regulations.

Maybe Republicans should vet their numbers crunchers a bit better, eh?

Here, I'm going to get this out of the way and never post it again, just to cover all my bases.

Edit: I wonder if any of them showed for anyone else... mine just says "Image"
Edit 2: There we go.

GasBandit said:
I won't be letting anyone go at my business. I will be raising my prices though. So don't bitch at me when you buy something from me, blame your legislator and those who voted from them.
And yes, because of what I sell it will be a noticeable increase and when my customers bitch about it all I can say is, you voted for these people, you get to pay for it.

GasBandit said:
See successful charter school, paying its teachers 18% above scale. See teacher's union. See teacher's union stick their fingers into successful charter school. See teachers fired.
There were apparently complaints about pay and the school distract even acknowledges that they never even tried to resolve this pay problem for -7- YEARS. I normally hate the Teachers Unions for only being concerned with their membership and not the ability of their membership to do their jobs, but it seems like a pay increase was justified. However, a 33% increase over what was already an above average salary is excessive. My Solution: They Are working around 28.5% longer than the average work day for a teacher... so pay them 28.5% more than the average salary instead of the 57% more the Union wants. (I hope my math is right...)

Dubyamn said:

I mean the whole situation just boogles my mind. What were the police supposed to do? just ignore a possible break in? Or were they supposed to let the man continue to make a scene despite the fact that they were nothing but proffesional the entire time? I mean really what the * could they have done to make the situation any better?
Straw man. No one thinks the police shouldn't have investigated. As for making a "scene" - how is this worthy of arrest? Yes, Gates yelled at the police officer quite a bit. So what? If you can't sass the police in your own goddamn house, what's the point of the first amendment? If he was violent in any way, of course an arrest would be an appropriate response. But the police don't allege that. A elderly man who walks with a cane is obviously not exactly a physical threat. So tell me - what's the crime here?

Status
Not open for further replies.