Gas Bandit's Political Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr_Chaz

As our Ewoky friend can't get to the phone right now, and it's been pretty sedate in the thread for a while I thought I might as well fill in a bit. Apologies for the non-US bias, I'll do my best, but God knows what you lot consider newsworthy :p

The UK's Chancellor of the Exchequer can't do his own taxes.

The North Korean nuclear test had more impact that you might have thought.

Maybe Prop. 8 isn't as sound as they thought.

Not sure if this has come up in the last thread, but the Republicans aren't too happy about what Pelosi will or won't say.

And Berlusconi isn't too happy with what the newspapers say about him.

Texan Mayor resigns to be with his gay, illegal immigrant, lover. Bet that went down well with the local community.

The biggest bank in Florida is inches away from collapse, and it doesn't even make it onto CNNs website.

And finally, the Republicans intend to filibuster Obama's Supreme Court nomination. Which I guess is fair. Stupid, but fair.

Mr_Chaz said:
Texan Mayor resigns to be with his gay, illegal immigrant, lover. Bet that went down well with the local community.
This is without a doubt the funniest thing I have ever heard.

And finally, the Republicans intend to filibuster Obama's Supreme Court nomination. Which I guess is fair. Stupid, but fair.
Considering it was the Republicans that tried to get filibustering outlawed when the Democrats threatened to do it in 2005, I think this is utter bullshit. The Dems will just get a Cloture vote going in response to it if they even try it anyway.

The Neon Grue said:
[quote="A Troll":11ile1bj]Should this thread be stickied?
Actually this thread is supposed to be moved to the Blog section(s).[/quote:11ile1bj]

Really? Why?

M

Mr_Chaz

The Neon Grue said:
[quote="A Troll":1063xn62]Should this thread be stickied?
Actually this thread is supposed to be moved to the Blog section(s).[/quote:1063xn62]

Yeah that's Dave's plan, but until there's a neat set up for that I figured this thread might be worth keeping around. My thinking is that if it's moved to the blogs then its only fair that GB gets the first say, seeing as its normally his linking baby. I'm just keeping the seat warm.

Things were going so nicely without the wingnuttery thread. Why did you see a need to cause more hate and discontent? Extra disappointment for it getting a sticky again.

DarkAudit said:
Things were going so nicely without the wingnuttery thread. Why did you see a need to cause more hate and discontent? Extra disappointment for it getting a sticky again.
It tends to keep the political discussion to one location. Cleaner this way.

Double disappointment on your extra disappointment. :tongue:

A

Armadillo

DarkAudit said:
Are you uncomfortable hearing a differing political opinion from yours? Because if so, might I suggest not clicking on it if it causes you so much pain and agony.

When that "differing opinion" veers so sharply towards intolerance, hate, violence, and downright evil, yes, I'm uncomfortable.

You think I'm overhyping this? You've got not just wingnuts on Fox calling for revolution and "taking this country back" after what, a *week* of the Obama administration, but a sitting U.S. Congresswoman actually using the word revolution. A sitting governor actively talking secession. A former Vice President *embracing* torture. Not to mention three dead Pittsburgh cops because some idiot was convinced Obama was coming to take his guns away.

That's the Right today. And the stupidity and insanity gets more and more concentrated every day with every "throw the moderates out" diatribe by Rush, et. al.

That's your "differing opinion".

DarkAudit said:
When that "differing opinion" veers so sharply towards intolerance, hate, violence, and downright evil, yes, I'm uncomfortable.

You think I'm overhyping this? You've got not just wingnuts on Fox calling for revolution and "taking this country back" after what, a *week* of the Obama administration, but a sitting U.S. Congresswoman actually using the word revolution. A sitting governor actively talking secession. A former Vice President *embracing* torture. Not to mention three dead Pittsburgh cops because some idiot was convinced Obama was coming to take his guns away.

That's the Right today. And the stupidity and insanity gets more and more concentrated every day with every "throw the moderates out" diatribe by Rush, et. al.

That's your "differing opinion".
But you're speaking with the same tenor of undeniable rancor that they do. Does it make you any different in the end? People on the far left and far right all do the same thing. The louder and most shocking gets broadcast. We poor independent centrists are left in the cold because we have no voracious lobbyists or loudmouth centrist talking heads.

Step back, take a breath and realize the right is doing this because they are LOSING and this is the very reason why. When you get all up in arms about it, it reinforces their positions and makes you look like a drooling loony from the other side. You can't USE logic in these types of debates because BOTH sides use hypotheticals and fear to put their points across.

Don't like it? Argue. It's what the thread is for.

Don't want to argue? Don't click on it. It's what your free will is for.

K

Kitty Sinatra

DarkAudit said:
Not to mention three dead Pittsburgh cops because some idiot was convinced Obama was coming to take his guns away.
Really?

DarkAudit said:
Gruebeard said:
DarkAudit said:
Not to mention three dead Pittsburgh cops because some idiot was convinced Obama was coming to take his guns away.
Really?
Really. The guy who ambushed the Pittsburgh cops in April was sure "they" were coming for his guns.
You can't blame ANYONE for this guy's actions except this guy. The right didn't kill the cops - this guy did. He was crazy with a capital WARRLGARRBL!! already.

I

Iaculus

ZenMonkey said:
Don't like it? Argue. It's what the thread is for.

Don't want to argue? Don't click on it. It's what your free will is for.
What if you're a determinist? I mean, clicking on one politically-objectionable thread is a small price to pay in order to follow the Divine Plan.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I was just gonna say the same thing after reading that link. Dude seemed fucked up in the head from the start.

I hate it when people who don't agree with me get to talk. I just hate it. It makes me wanna say, it makes me wanna say, it makes me wanna say... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
BOOM!
I'm rocking the suburbs!
Just like Quiet Riot did!
I'm ro...
Whoa, sorry, I broke into song there.

Iaculus said:
What if you're a determinist? I mean, clicking on one politically-objectionable thread is a small price to pay in order to follow the Divine Plan.
If there is a Divine Plan, and this thread turns out to be part of it, I will not have regretted my time on earth as an atheist. :rofl:

K

Kitty Sinatra

Charlie Dont Surf said:
So there was kind of a big state supreme court ruling today, you might have heard about it....
The one that said women and blacks can't vote anymore? Yeah, I heard about it.

I

Iaculus

ZenMonkey said:
Iaculus said:
If there is a Divine Plan, and this thread turns out to be part of it, I will not have regretted my time on earth as an atheist. :rofl:
But... but cookies! Heavenly cookies!

North_Ranger

Staff member
ZenMonkey said:
Iaculus said:
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Powers that Be were using this thread as part of their big plans. After all, they apparently used a shrubbery on fire, hermaphrodites with wings and monkey kings - depending on your favourite flavour, of course ;)

And before somebody starts telling me I should be afraid of the Fiery Lake and hot pokers... I'm just joking.

Chibibar said:
The supreme court ruled in FAVOR of Prop 8.
It may seem like semantics, but it's important that no, they ruled to uphold the proposition on the grounds that it was not unconstitutional. There is a big difference in intent, if not practical outcome.

This is far from the last California has seen of this, however. There will be more propositions and appeals and referenda and eventually -- in my lifetime, I'm sure -- this day will go down as a minor footnote to the larger win.

Status
Not open for further replies.