Gas Bandit's Political Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkAudit said:
Your admitted purpose is to stir up shit, nothing more. So why should I feel the need to post more than :pud: when :pud: is enough? :moon:
I'm curious why you feel the need to click on this thread at all. Are you just that masochistic?

ZenMonkey said:
DarkAudit said:
Your admitted purpose is to stir up shit, nothing more. So why should I feel the need to post more than :pud: when :pud: is enough? :moon:
I'm curious why you feel the need to click on this thread at all. Are you just that masochistic?
It's true, it's TRUE!

:( I hate myself so.

Edrondol said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and I even expressed this in the podcast) - The political thread is here because if it wasn't it would probably spill over everywhere. Everyone is free to express themselves, cajole and otherwise rant here, but the politics thread stays.
And when Dave is overthrown in the inevitable mod revolution, I'm still keeping this fucking thread.

Gas provides more than enough warning as to what one is getting into here. If you (meaning "anyone") can't deal with it, I advise gently steering your mouse away from the link and instead looking at something more palatable to you.

Some more on the Presidential Surveillance Program that was started after 9/11.
The problem wasn't just that Yoo had been scooped up out of the bowels of the DOJ directly by the president without the knowledge of his (Congressionally confirmed) superiors, and was then writing memoranda on the legality of the PSP. No, the real problem was that his advice was apparently so bad that it appears to be something like legal malpractice, yet it was allowed to stand for three years as the official US position on a critical constitutional issue without ever having undergone a shred of peer review or oversight.

GasBandit

Staff member
Work continues to kick my ass this week, so links are suffering :(

Sotomayor circus, day two.

The Wall Street Journal has an excellent explanation of how the Democrats are managing to increase taxes and redistribute the wealth, all in the name of "healthcare reform." So now that the Democrats have their plans to tax the filthy, evil, disgusting rich to pay for it, here's how these tax increases are going to affect over 1 million small businesses in America. And what does the Congressional Business Office have to say about the whole thing?

Get this ... liberal Democrats are increasingly concerned that White House economists are too centrist and "theoretical" to fix the economy. Too centrist??

Talk about a government hack with a typical ego.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WheKp_o6Pk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthinkprogress.org%2F2009%2F07%2F15%2Fsessions-roberts-alito%2F&feature=player_embedded:81qll2ej][/youtube:81qll2ej]

GasBandit

Staff member
Krisken said:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WheKp_o6Pk:1evbm5kr][/youtube:1evbm5kr]
Fixed your code for you.

Now then, as to the content, it's edited to remove the bullshit questions they were asked. There's a rule that you can't ask a nominee how they would rule on an upcoming case, and democrats routinely dance around, if not overtly break, that rule, especially where abortion is concerned. They want to hear the magic words "I won't overturn roe-vee-wade."

C

crono1224

GasBandit said:
*snip*

Now then, as to the content, it's edited to remove the bullshit questions they were asked. There's a rule that you can't ask a nominee how they would rule on an upcoming case, and democrats routinely dance around, if not overtly break, that rule, especially where abortion is concerned. They want to hear the magic words "I won't overturn roe-vee-wade."
Hold on, video that is clearly unfairly edited? No, I have never seen articles/videos/images taken out of context and used to argue something like that :waah:.

crono1224 said:
GasBandit said:
*snip*

Hold on, video that is clearly unfairly edited? No, I have never seen articles/videos/images taken out of context and used to argue something like that :waah:.
I like how he makes an accusation with no basis (edited to remove what questions were asked... not for time or any other reason) and then applies the only situation that would support his stance (questions about how they would rule in upcoming cases), then take a jab at Democrats.

Other people can't make wild accusations and assumptions. Only Gas can make wild accusations and assumptions!

S

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
I like how he makes an accusation with no basis (edited to remove what questions were asked... not for time or any other reason) and then applies the only situation that would support his stance (questions about how they would rule in upcoming cases), then take a jab at Democrats.

Other people can't make wild accusations and assumptions. Only Gas can make wild accusations and assumptions!
Hahaha, yeah I like that about every single GasBandit post ever, too.

I noticed a good amount of repeat of the same clip in there. They should have added techno music in the background.

Covar said:
I noticed a good amount of repeat of the same clip in there. They should have added techno music in the background.
I noticed one that may have been a repeat. Maybe it just seems like it's repeating because they said it a lot?

:blue:

Now we've gone even deeper into posting blog posts as if they were "news".

It would save everyone a lot of time to just leave a sticky reading "FUCK OBAMA! FUCK REID! FUCK PELOSI! FUCK THE DEMOCRATS!" :tongue:

'cause when you boil it down to it's essence, that's all it is. You haven't heard Gas offering up any "Libertarian" candidates that not only separates themselves from the others on the right, but resonates with the public as a whole. You haven't heard Gas offer up any ideas that the Libertarians have that weren't absorbed by the likes of Perry and Sanford.

"Card carrying Libertarian." Bah. That card isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Fringe is fringe. :smug:

I'm confused. Its the middle of the summer in a non election year.

Also expecting a Libertarian canidate to seperate themselves from the right is like complaining that Green Party members just sound like every other Liberal Democrat. The differences are there you just have to pay attention.

M

Mr_Chaz

DarkAudit said:
:blue:

Now we've gone even deeper into posting blog posts as if they were "news".

It would save everyone a lot of time to just leave a sticky reading "FUCK OBAMA! FUCK REID! FUCK PELOSI! FUCK THE DEMOCRATS!" :tongue:

'cause when you boil it down to it's essence, that's all it is. You haven't heard Gas offering up any "Libertarian" candidates that not only separates themselves from the others on the right, but resonates with the public as a whole. You haven't heard Gas offer up any ideas that the Libertarians have that weren't absorbed by the likes of Perry and Sanford.

"Card carrying Libertarian." Bah. That card isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Fringe is fringe. :smug:
But perhaps Gas isn't trying to post Libertarian links? He may be a Libertarian himself but what's that got to do with the links he's posting? He's posting links to get people talking. What's wrong with that? If you respond carefully and in a well thought out manner he tends to respond in kind. And that's why this thread exists, because some of us are happy to do that :p

He's not posting links to "get people talking". He's posting links to troll, didn't you know that? He said so himself... often.

What's wrong is as much as he claims to be Libertarian, it's all the same old far-right drivel. They're talking points and blogs. Not news. The Libertarians are a sad joke, and he knows it. Because they cannot stop the others on the right from annexing their ideas as their own, subverting them, and totally discrediting the Libertarian message. Which doesn't seem to be anything more than "no taxes!" and "no government spending!", which isn't much of a message to begin with.

oh.. and :popcorn: :tina: :tina: :aaahhh:

S

Steven Soderburgin

I think we should have a crying eagle smilie. there could be an american flag behind it. it should be automatically appended to the end of every GasBandit post

Kissinger said:
I think we should have a crying eagle smilie. there could be an american flag behind it. it should be automatically appended to the end of every GasBandit post
I think Glenn Beck already has a copyright on that one. :eyeroll:

GasBandit

Staff member
Darkaudit clearly still doesn't get it. This isn't "Gas Bandit's Libertarian Advancement Thread," it's GB's POLITICAL thread. Which means the only prerequisite I have for posting something here is it is political in nature... and of course, because it's me, I also want the item to get someone's dander up, so that debate ensues. I could post all day long about the superiority of the Libertarian platform and nobody would read it, much less reply to it. It's been done to death multiple times. I could also just post political items nobody has a problem with, which nobody would reply to either, which ends with the same result. I try to find freshly developing political stories that interest me, and link them here. There's not a lot of "emerging libertarian candidates" in the news today. That doesn't mean I stop being a libertarian.

Anyway, here's some links for today.

Folks in Alabama are getting bent out of shape over a billboard put up by the Alabama Freethought Association that say things like "Imagine No Religion. - Freedom From Religion Foundation"

Girl .

Remember last week when I posted about a House plan to force GM and Chrysler to reinstate dealerships slated to close? Barack Obama says that he opposes the plan. Obama got one right. Mark your goddamned calendar, Darkaudit, so you won't forget I said that :p

Here's a handy chart to help you understand how healthcare will work under the proposed national health care legislation.

The federal government and all of these stimulus packages are really creating a lot of jobs in this economy ..... or not.

A South Carolina judge has ruled that state law barring underage drinking is unconstitutional.

To find an auto plant that is hiring workers and earning a profit, you may have to go to ... Poland?

GasBandit said:
This is gonna get messy. Very messy. It was back in the early 80s (under Reagan, but that's neither here nor there) that most states had a drinking age of 18, and the federal government put pressure on the states to raise it to 21 by threatening their federal highway funding. The same way they strong-armed states to lower the speed limit to 55 back in the early 70's. It's been a favorite tactic of administrations on both sides of the aisle to get states to fall in line.

I'm well past the drinking age, but since this is a college town, the story is going to get a lot of attention.

:popcorn:

(and isn't this kind of thing more important to the general populace than the abortion, abortion, abortion litmus test?)

And in California part of their plan to get out of debt? LEGALIZE AND TAX POT!!! About fucking time!

Other states will see that this will not only bring in money and cut down on the drug trade while clearing out jails that they will follow suit.

Thanks, California! For (hopefully) getting one right!

("How's the weather, Ollie?" "Not bad.")

M

Mr_Chaz

DarkAudit said:
He's not posting links to "get people talking". He's posting links to troll
But in this case is it not the same thing? It is for me.

Gas says something inflamatory, I laugh at him, and respond explaining why what he said was stupid. He then responds to that... Discussion.

Why, what do you consider to be "get people talking"?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Well, I still consider him a kulli-smoking äpärä of a long and noble line of sianperseenpesijöitä, but that's simply because he insulted my home country. Otherwise I just come here and watch the poo fly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Terrorist bombing in Indonesia, first in four years.

The more time goes on, the worse this whole health care mess looks. Now the Congressional Budget Office says that "the health care overhauls released to date would increase, not reduce, the burgeoning long-term health costs facing the government." The proposed legislation would also make individual private medical insurance illegal. Sucks for folks who are self employed. Obama's speeches lately have been dancing around the issue of health care rationing for the aged. Couching it in gentle phrases to describe how the better choice may just be to take painkillers instead of getting surgery, or how cancer patients should just throw in the towel and "choose" to go ahead and die in a hospice instead of fighting all the way. NICE is coming to our shores, folks. By the way, did you know that you're waaaaay more likely to die if you get one of the more common cancers in canada or europe than you are in the United States, currently?

Vice President Joe Biden: the federal government has to spend more money in order to keep from going bankrupt.

Investor's Business Daily explains how the government health care plan will lead to ruinous tax hikes.

After spending the last year blasting any company which dared have a travel conference or business convention, the federal government just spent $700,000 for the Social Security Administration to attend a conference at an Arizona spa, which included airfare, hotel entertainment, dancers, motivational speakers, and food.

Iran's Ahmadinejad vows that his new government "would bring down the global arrogance" of the West.

The Energy Department has plans to boost the number of vehicles that can run on a blend of mostly biofuel. Some lawmakers are now realizing that it would be a bad idea for the government to mandate this change.

Barney Frank was on the Daily Show.

GasBandit said:
The more time goes on, the worse this whole health care mess looks. Now the Congressional Budget Office says that \"the health care overhauls released to date would increase, not reduce, the burgeoning long-term health costs facing the government.\"
It's worth pointing out that there is half of the CBO report that addresses cost-offsets. The above statement is substantially correct, and worrying, but not to the extent that many (not the CBO) are claiming.

Er, no. The clause in question refers only to the eligibility to be "grandfather insurance", i.e. if you have pre-existing insurance contracts, those contracts remain in force as they are despite the new regulations. New (post-legislation) private insurance contracts will need to include the new regulations, which will include things like not refusing coverage based on pre-existing conditions. This is a completely and utterly different thing than "making private insurance illegal" and won't make the slightest difference to the self-employed.

GasBandit

Staff member
TeKeo said:
Er, no. The clause in question refers only to the eligibility to be \"grandfather insurance\", i.e. if you have pre-existing insurance contracts, those contracts remain in force as they are despite the new regulations. New (post-legislation) private insurance contracts will need to include the new regulations, which will include things like not refusing coverage based on pre-existing conditions. This is a completely and utterly different thing than \"making private insurance illegal\" and won't make the slightest difference to the self-employed.
From the bill, page 16

SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT COVERAGE.

(a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term `grandfathered health insurance coverage' means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.

(B) DEPENDENT COVERAGE PERMITTED- Subparagraph (A) shall not affect the subsequent enrollment of a dependent of an individual who is covered as of such first day.

(2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR CONDITIONS- Subject to paragraph (3) and except as required by law, the issuer does not change any of its terms or conditions, including benefits and cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day before the first day of Y1.
and page 18

© Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.
In other words, if your individual private health insurance coverage isn't grandfathered, it's illegal. You have to get your insurance through the government "Exchange" program.

GasBandit said:
From the bill, page 16

SEC. 102. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT COVERAGE.

(a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term `grandfathered health insurance coverage' means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.
As I said, all this means is that post-legislation-dated coverage won't fall under the definition of "Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage" unless they meet those particular exceptions.

and page 18

[quote:2h8248ly]© Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.
In other words, if your individual private health insurance coverage isn't grandfathered, it's illegal. You have to get your insurance through the government "Exchange" program.[/quote:2h8248ly]

Um, the exchange and the public option are not the same thing. At all. The exchange is intended to be an open market-place for health care coverage providers, including qualified private providers, grandfathered providers, group plans, medicare/aid, etc.

The public option is only one of several options that are intended to be available.

Maybe you should try reading that part of the bill. Just in case it times out (Thomas does that, unfortunately), it's in HR 3200, Division A, Title 2, Sec 201 that defines how the exchange will work.

Criticism of the regulations to be a qualified provider is one thing, saying that "private coverage is being made illegal" is just false.

GasBandit

Staff member
The exchange is government subsidized, meaning it will be a de facto public plan. You don't have the option to seek your own individual private health insurance outside "the exchange" any more. It doesn't matter if the exchange ate garbage and crapped solid platinum (which it doesn't, it's actually pretty awful), it's still government subsidized and government controlled, and you trying to find your own option outside that exchange is still illegal.

GasBandit said:
Obama's speeches lately have been dancing around the issue of health care rationing for the aged. Couching it in gentle phrases to describe how the better choice may just be to take painkillers instead of getting surgery, or how cancer patients should just throw in the towel and \"choose\" to go ahead and die in a hospice instead of fighting all the way.
We need to call it "Transitioning" offer and Estate Tax Exemptions to those that offer to go throught it. But hey, at least we've found a way to make Social Security solvent: By killing everyone over 70! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.