Democratic Primary: Crisis of infinite candidates

This is why I kind of hate the way the voting system works right now. My vote, usually, makes just as much difference.

It's because the way the EC is an "all or nothing" vote. While I don't think we will ever move to a full popular vote system, I really do hope we at least move to a compromised system someday in which the EC points are divided out based on the states vote percentages. This will give people like me a little more say, give Republican's in places like California more of a voice, but still allow some states with proportionality more EC points to population ratio to still have slightly higher sway in the final outcome.

It sure is better then feeling like your vote never matters in anything outside small, local elections.
Oh, but you already have a pretty compromised system, I think.

When Hillary says no one likes Bernie, what she means is that none of their corporate overlords like him. It's those same overlords that are funding his opposition (and funded her)

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow. Alright, have fun with your circlejerk. It's been fun.
You can join my table, I get the same treatment when I stick to my guns as a libertarian, despite living in Texas where doing so definitely hurts republican candidates.

No one likes Bernie.

Hillary Clinton needs to seriously fuck the fuck off.
"Bernie said Hillary isn't qualified to be president. How can the secretary of state not be qualified?"
Well, she wasn't qualified to be secretary of state, either.

When Hillary says no one likes Bernie, what she means is that none of their corporate overlords like him. It's those same overlords that are funding his opposition (and funded her)
Latest one of these:

1579651155319.jpeg

“Other”

Regardless of whether one might be for or against him as a candidate, this feels like blatant, easily verifiable journalistic malpractice.

—Patrick

You can join my table, I get the same treatment when I stick to my guns as a libertarian, despite living in Texas where doing so definitely hurts republican candidates.
Again, stop pretending we're talking about 2 party politics as usual.

A guy like Trump getting elected and getting away with obvious abuses of power out in the open is how a civilization starts a slow slide into dictatorship...

You can go back to quietly waste your vote instead of actually attempting to get rid of FPTP so 3rd parties have a chance at counting for something, once the actual emolument-clause-ignoring, has-totally-not-obstructed-justice-because-his instructions-to-obstruct-where-not-followed total shit show of a president is not a threat any more.

Again, stop pretending we're talking about 2 party politics as usual.

A guy like Trump getting elected and getting away with obvious abuses of power out in the open is how a civilization starts a slow slide into dictatorship...

You can go back to quietly waste your vote instead of actually attempting to get rid of FPTP so 3rd parties have a chance at counting for something, once the actual emolument-clause-ignoring, has-totally-not-obstructed-justice-because-his instructions-to-obstruct-where-not-followed total shit show of a president is not a threat any more.
Yeah. Dubyah was a hateful, miserable excuse for a president, but he never tried to become Emperor For Life Above The Law.
There's differences in level

You had plenty of bad presidents, but they all knew not to say the quite part out loud, and if they did, it hurt them...

And that's an important part of any system that works.

Once it stops, then you're fucked.

Honestly it's the precedent that scares me the most. At least before we had trust that the system would expel a destructive president even if they were not brazen about it. Trump has shown a lot of people how far they can take it and even be brazen about it and not be punished. Who is to say when the next wannabe dictator comes around, what will happen?

Honestly it's the precedent that scares me the most. At least before we had trust that the system would expel a destructive president even if they were not brazen about it. Trump has shown a lot of people how far they can take it and even be brazen about it and not be punished. Who is to say when the next wannabe dictator comes around, what will happen?
Nikita Khrushchev said they would defeat us without firing a shot. It's happening right before our eyes. At the hands of those who consider themselves the "Real" Americans.

I'm really enjoying this surge bernie's had in the last few weeks. It's really gonna suck on Monday when Biden still wins Iowa because we can't have nice things.

I don't think it really has to be said here but "Real Americans" and "heartland" are just fancy ways of saying "white."

Dave

Staff member
Oh god I hear that "heartland" shit every fucking day. Midwesterners can be some of the nicest people you want to meet, but god DAMN are they smug fuckers who think they are so much better than everyone else.

Oh god I hear that "heartland" shit every fucking day. Midwesterners can be some of the nicest people you want to meet, but god DAMN are they smug fuckers who think they are so much better than everyone else.
I feel so seen right now...

This entire quote can be completely applied to "Americans" (according to Europeans), "Europeans" (according to Americans), "Chinese" (according to most of the rest of south-east Asia), etc.

“In the face of unprecedented challenges a change to the status quo, we need a president ruler whose vision value system was shaped by the American Heartland Traditional Conservatives rather than the ineffective Washington politics we’ve come to know and expect someone who actually represents their constituency.”

There, fixed his grammar.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I made ONE donation and now I'm getting I think 5 emails and texts (each) per day.
Same thing happens when you give to a charity. I give regularly to Save the Children and you'd think I was a multi-billionaire or something. I get so many fucking emails and actual mail from charities. Sorry, guys, but this well is tapped.

In 2016 (and again this year) I donated to Bernie. Less than $50 each time yet holy shit do they bother me. No texts, though. I put the kibosh on that from the beginning.

In 2016 (and again this year) I donated to Bernie. Less than $50 each time yet holy shit do they bother me. No texts, though. I put the kibosh on that from the beginning.
Probably smart. I wonder if his are as bad as the ones I'm getting from the Trump campaign.

Dave

Staff member
Probably smart. I wonder if his are as bad as the ones I'm getting from the Trump campaign.
Oh it's not Bernie bothering me. It's the DNC, the DLCC, etc. And yes, I get asked by republicans as well, but I wouldn't donate to a republican candidate right now. The last time I voted anything republican was Bush Sr.

Yeah, you agree with one thing online attached to a Dem cause, and BAM you're on 50 million progressive mailing lists.

Sadly, it's the same with any sort of right-wing cause, too.

Somehow it's a three way tie between Warren, Bernie and Pete despite Bernie having nearly double the support of Pete. Democrats deserve to lose.

Somehow it's a three way tie between Warren, Bernie and Pete despite Bernie having nearly double the support of Pete. Democrats deserve to lose.
And Trump got elected with millions of votes less than Clinton. Bad voting systems are bad voting systems.

And in the no-surprises-here department:

View attachment 32779

--Patrick
Obviously no surprise, but, you know, this really does finish off the "we're just stuck with him but there are many good republicans out there" argument.
This really is the Germans reelecting Hitler, despite seeing and knowing what he's like.
In any non-two-party system, there'd be a decent conservative/centrist opponent.