Democratic Primary: Crisis of infinite candidates

Guys! Guys! I don't care if it looks like a St. Bernard is going to get nominated.
You will put your full support behind that dog and praise it and you will get it elected, because the alternative is worse.

--Patrick
Hmm.. how many billionaires donated to the st. Bernard?

Guys! Guys! I don't care if it looks like a St. Bernard is going to get nominated.
You will put your full support behind that dog and praise it and you will get it elected, because the alternative is worse.

--Patrick
nope! The Bern fans and Warren fans will eat each other alive, continue fighting, tear the other candidate down, stay home, and give Trump a second term. As was the plan all along.
The left is divided, the right is willing to put up with...well, even Trump, if it gets their side elected.

nope! The Bern fans and Warren fans will eat each other alive, continue fighting, tear the other candidate down, stay home, and give Trump a second term. As was the plan all along.
The left is divided, the right is willing to put up with...well, even Trump, if it gets their side elected.
I hope to God you are wrong, even though I’m worried that you’re right.

Dave

Staff member
I'm a HUGE Bernie guy and am very upset with the lies and bullshit coming out of the Warren camp. But if she gets the nomination - even if it's because of underhanded tactics like this - I'll still vote for her over Trump.

I'd vote for the voting MACHINE over Trump. Or the dog sitting outside waiting for their master to come back out. Or my car. Or a piece of shit that I scraped off my shoe, even though that would be about the same as a Trump.

Hillary should have taken him as VP, especially since all the stupid "she dying" crap the reps where spewing would have given Berners hope...

Bullshit. It's nothing Bernie would say and it's not true at all. Warren is not Hillary.
I'd maybe believe if they had said he talked about how a woman would face more anti votes from the right, but i too don't see him saying a woman striaght up can't win.

And Hilary barely lost even after years of investigations and the worst Weiner-fere right at the end...

I can imagine him saying it, but not necessarily as a sexist thing. I even tend to agree - I don't think there's a woman currently in the field who could win against Trump.

Yeah, I think even if Tomi Lahren herself ran for office, Trump’s base would still vote for Trump just because he’s male.

—Patrick

This is but one of the many reasons I have strong feelings against old people running the government.
Old, young... the bigger problem is people trying to write/pass legislation regarding subjects they literally don’t understand without soliciting the input of people who do understand.
<cough>abortion<ahem>encryption<hack>climate<wheeze>

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, this happened:

'Simply a lie,' Biden accuses Sanders campaign of releasing 'doctored' video

"Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden accused rival Bernie Sanders’s campaign on Saturday of disseminating a “doctored” video edited to falsely appear to show the former vice president supporting cutting Social Security, and called on the Sanders campaign to disown it.

"In response, Sanders’ campaign refused to back down and continued to cite the video as evidence that Biden wants to limit the government-run retirement and disability program. "

Just how transparent is this shit?

MSNBC has a "body language" expert on to talk about how Bernie lied about saying women can't president. Here's some other greatest hits of this expert.

Joe Biden accused rival Bernie Sanders’s campaign on Saturday of disseminating a “doctored” video edited to falsely appear to show the former vice president supporting cutting Social Security
Joe Biden has advocated the cutting of Social Security since at least 1984.
“When I argued that we should freeze federal spending, I meant Social Security as well,” he told the Senate in 1995. “I meant Medicare and Medicaid. I meant veterans’ benefits. I meant every single solitary thing in the government. And I not only tried it once, I tried it twice, I tried it a third time, and I tried it a fourth time.”
—Patrick

I mean, the people who don't like Sanders are probably the same people who Sander's supporters don't like, so I don't see how her saying this is an any way a detraction from Sanders.

I don’t dislike Sanders personally, but I disagree with some of his key platforms. And and I refuse to vote for “the lesser of two evils”, because that mentality is a key contributor to the tribalism we see in politics now. So if it came down to Trump vs Sanders, I’d probably seek to vote 3rd party.

Having said that, Hillary is being petty AF. Taking personal shots at him like that just shows how bitter she is.

So if it came down to Trump vs Sanders, I’d probably seek to vote 3rd party.
Oh for fucks sakes.

The US president isn't an autocrat, electing him won't magically make all his desired policies pass Congress.

But, yeah, sure, 4 more years of a guy who is literally showing everyone your constitution isn't worth the paper it's printed on, just so you can say you didn't compromise... because that's totally not what's actually contributing to the tribalism...

Dave

Staff member
I love Bernie and most of his ideas. I don't, however, see him as being able to enact most of what he says. Presidents don't do these things - congress does. So if dems don't get the senate there's NO CHANCE anything will get done. Yes, the presidency would be nice, but the senate is infinitely more important.

Oh for fucks sakes.

The US president isn't an autocrat, electing him won't magically make all his desired policies pass Congress.

But, yeah, sure, 4 more years of a guy who is literally showing everyone your constitution isn't worth the paper it's printed on, just so you can say you didn't compromise... because that's totally not what's actually contributing to the tribalism...
You would rather constantly vote for someone you don't actually support just because the other guy is worse? Is that what you think voting means? Is that how democracy is supposed to work? Look, I'm sorry I don't like the guy that you apparently like. But grow up and realize that not everyone thinks like you, and that doesn't make them bad. This country needs to move on from a tribal two party system where you have to vote for your party's candidate OR ELSE. There are nuances and different opinions. I'm not going to support someone I actively don't agree with just because I dislike someone else more. That's fucking stupid.

figmentPez

Staff member
This country desperately needs a new voting system. Preferential, ranked, instant-run-off, whatever. Something to make it so that we can get tin dictators out of office while still being able to support our most favored candidate.

You would rather constantly vote for someone you don't actually support just because the other guy is worse?
No, you do it when it's fucking Trump, and he's literally shitting on the things that have kept your democracy trodding along just barely, and is making the office of teh presidency basically immune to any oversight...

You can vote 3rd party when it doesn't end up with the possibility of a con-man continuing to erode your entire political system.

Look, I'm sorry I don't like the guy that you apparently like. But grow up and realize that not everyone thinks like you, and that doesn't make them bad.
Part of growing up is making choices you don't like, and not burying your head in the sand...

This country needs to move on from a tribal two party system where you have to vote for your party's candidate OR ELSE. There are nuances and different opinions.
It's a mathematical fact that, as long as you use FPTP voting it never will.

But you've made it clear that you wouldn't vote for people who would implement that sort of change unless you also agreed with them on other big items, so that's never happening.

There are nuances and different opinions.
Yeah, and yet AOC and Biden are in the same party, because that's the system you're working in, and you can't change it by not participating.

I'm not going to support someone I actively don't agree with just because I dislike someone else more. That's fucking stupid.
Life is stupid, unfortunately, you can't actually ignore it, because consequences happen to you either way.

Remember 8 years of Bush? You telling m that didn't affect you at all?

This country desperately needs a new voting system. Preferential, ranked, instant-run-off, whatever. Something to make it so that we can get tin dictators out of office while still being able to support our most favored candidate.
And that's never going to happen as long as both parties benefit from it.

Last edited:
You would rather constantly vote for someone you don't actually support just because the other guy is worse? Is that what you think voting means? Is that how democracy is supposed to work? Look, I'm sorry I don't like the guy that you apparently like. But grow up and realize that not everyone thinks like you, and that doesn't make them bad. This country needs to move on from a tribal two party system where you have to vote for your party's candidate OR ELSE. There are nuances and different opinions. I'm not going to support someone I actively don't agree with just because I dislike someone else more. That's fucking stupid.
The kids dying in cages will applaud you for sticking to your guns as Trump takes his 2nd term.

Thankfully, as a Californian his vote won't really matter. Im still gonna vote for whoever the dem is just because it pisses trump off that he lost the popular vote

Thankfully, as a Californian his vote won't really matter. Im still gonna vote for whoever the dem is just because it pisses trump off that he lost the popular vote
That's true, his presidential vote counts about as much as yours. :awesome:

This is why I kind of hate the way the voting system works right now. My vote, usually, makes just as much difference.

It's because the way the EC is an "all or nothing" vote. While I don't think we will ever move to a full popular vote system, I really do hope we at least move to a compromised system someday in which the EC points are divided out based on the states vote percentages. This will give people like me a little more say, give Republican's in places like California more of a voice, but still allow some states with proportionality more EC points to population ratio to still have slightly higher sway in the final outcome.

It sure is better then feeling like your vote never matters in anything outside small, local elections.