Democratic Primary: Crisis of infinite candidates

Man I knew I was being a tad impatient last night but I thought there would be results when I woke up.
It's taking a lot of work to salvage Biden as a winner if he technically came in fourth.

Alternatively: it takes a lot of work to weed out all the Russian interference.

And as FivethirtyEight points out: even if everything is resolved now, it's probably completely torpedoed Buttigieg's odds and/or severely hurt Sanders. The only one who gains from all this is Biden. (and Trump, of course, but that doesn't matter haha!)

I disagree. The news cycle forgets fast. Whoever actually wins Iowa will be the big story of the day and this will be a distant memory by next Tuesday. We have the State of the Union, the official impeachment trial results (forgone conclusion, but still) and at lest one wildcard insane trump tweet before then.

The Colorado caucus overall took weeks (local -> county -> State were all separate meetings over the course of a month), so I think it just adds to the clusterfuck that Iowa rushes their results to stay relevant.

I disagree. The news cycle forgets fast. Whoever actually wins Iowa will be the big story of the day and this will be a distant memory by next Tuesday. We have the State of the Union, the official impeachment trial results (forgone conclusion, but still) and at lest one wildcard insane trump tweet before then.
Sure, but the Iowa bump and free publicity for the winner could've made a big difference. Especially if it would've been /will be Buttigieg. It would make him more credible... and frankly, a somewhat centrist guy that isn't 70+ or a billionaire might be a good candidate, you know.

Dave

Staff member
Buttigieg win, but with lower amount of voters than Sanders. Huh.
Yeah, interesting, huh? Sanders leads by every metric...except he's going to come in second in the number of delegates. I'm not normally a conspiracy theory guy, but it's weird to me that an app developed by FORMER HILLARY DNC PEOPLE have created a clusterfuck that took way too long and the results are skewed away from Bernie. This really smells like more Clinton/DNC undermining of progressives.

Eh, well, I think that has more to do with the delegate appointment system and less with the app.

That aside, I still quite like Buttigieg as a candidate. He's by no means perfect, but he's a young minority guy who isn't too far to the left to scare off moderates , yet can come off believable when saying he cares about young people and their concerns.
And I can't believe I'm saying this, but in some ways, Bloomberg is becoming my second favorite - his decision to simply already campaign against Trump, rather than against other democrats, might pay off...or it might mean he'll be running third party and give it to Trump, I dunno.
Honestly, I just hope it isn't Biden or Sanders. The last thing the democrats need is two septagenarians running against each other. And yes, I'm aware Bloomberg is almost as old or older...but he doesn't show it as much just yet.

Eh, well, I think that has more to do with the delegate appointment system and less with the app.

That aside, I still quite like Buttigieg as a candidate. He's by no means perfect, but he's a young minority guy who isn't too far to the left to scare off moderates , yet can come off believable when saying he cares about young people and their concerns.
And I can't believe I'm saying this, but in some ways, Bloomberg is becoming my second favorite - his decision to simply already campaign against Trump, rather than against other democrats, might pay off...or it might mean he'll be running third party and give it to Trump, I dunno.
Honestly, I just hope it isn't Biden or Sanders. The last thing the democrats need is two septagenarians running against each other. And yes, I'm aware Bloomberg is almost as old or older...but he doesn't show it as much just yet.
This is everyone's weekly reminder that the entire reason Trump hasn't been impeached yet is because Bloomberg donated 12 million dollars to Republican candidates and flipped two of the seats he donated to for Republicans.

So yes, fuck Bloomberg.

Pete Buttigege is basically just a younger Biden. He's in the pockets of the major corporations, which is why the DNC likes him.

Still not buying it. I think this country is more afraid of The Gay than they will vote. Corporations may love him, but the average idiot, I'm not buying it.

Also theres no real reason to be excited about him. Like, what does he propose that makes you interested, beyond "if I'm elected, donald trump won't be president anymore"?

His orientation means he wouldn't be able to convert any of the Conservatives, that's for sure.
Nominating him for the Dems would repel any GOP switchers come Nov and just push 'em more firmly into the red.

--Patrick

His orientation means he wouldn't be able to convert any of the Conservatives, that's for sure.
Nominating him for the Dems would repel any GOP switchers come Nov and just push 'em more firmly into the red.

--Patrick
Well going by the video from earlier, it's....not common knowledge?

And you'll never elect a black guy, either.
Yeah, the conservatives won't vote for him. But they won't vote for Warren, Klombuchar (women!), or Sanders (a commie!) either. Or Biden, because...Well, he's not Trump.

You can't blame them. Bernie's been snubbed and flat-out ignored by the media and even people in his own party, probably hoping he would just fade/go away.

--Patrick
Bernie is an independent, who only joins the Dem party long enough to primary. I feel like if he had stayed a Dem in name for the last 4 years he might have built up some good will. But it's no surprise that the DNC snubs him in favor of their actual members.

Bernie is an independent, who only joins the Dem party long enough to primary. I feel like if he had stayed a Dem in name for the last 4 years he might have built up some good will. But it's no surprise that the DNC snubs him in favor of their actual members.
A thousand times this. Bernie's a DINO, mostly because he needs a major party to get elected. The Party justifiably hates him for fucking with the Party's internal politics.

Can you blame people for being dodgy about the results not coming in because of a mysterious new app that breaks, and it's owned by an open buttigeig supporter?
You can't blame them. Bernie's been snubbed and flat-out ignored by the media and even people in his own party, probably hoping he would just fade/go away.

--Patrick
I can definitely blame people for doing what Trump does, stringing together a story that fits a narrative they want to sell with tape and staples. These conspiracies do not even pass the sniff test. Iowa gives a small number of delegates and Shadow Inc. wouldn't potentially tank their business for an investment from one candidate's supporter, let alone when there is a paper trail to verify the actual results. All people see is "App - Pete - $$" and ignore all the information that doesn't support their perceived victimization. That is what Trump does! I just want a higher standard than that, no matter who people support.

The real problem is that media, especially social media, moves at lightning speed and voting processes don't. Don't get me wrong, the DNC dropped the ball hard in Iowa. But now these stupid conspiracies are out there and they are sticky as hell in this connected world as people reinforce them in their echo chambers. It's dangerous.

A thousand times this. Bernie's a DINO, mostly because he needs a major party to get elected. The Party justifiably hates him for fucking with the Party's internal politics.
And that's exactly why I like him, because the Democrats, while not as awful as the Republicans, are still pretty bad.

Also, both Biden and Klobuchar also gave money to Shadow. They've been cropped out of the picture as mostly shown, but it's apparently true. neither did especially well in Iowa.

I don't think Ricky Bobby would agree MSNBC.
Yeah, no.

If the moderates keep dividing between Biden, Buttigieg and Klobuchar, this doesn't increase the chances of Klobuchar actually becoming the nominee - it just improves the odds for Sanders and/or Bloomberg.