[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

Unlike Martin, they can handwave getting from point A to point B without agonizing how it happened and not feel bad about it. One of Martin's biggest faults is that he constantly writes himself into corners and can't figure out how to fix it.
But that delicious delicious agony makes for 'better' reality. One of the things about the first couple seasons of GoT, at least from our perspective, was the reality of its unreality. The plausibility of the situations and interactions made sense or at least had a general purpose to the greater story. Now it seems we're careening from one explosive set piece to a lot of drawn out, meandering discussion, and then another surprise action sequence. It also relies on the magic of coincident timing to make the bad guys unbeatable (in the short term). For a show that relied on intrigue, spying and diplomacy as a means to create suspense and viewer knowledge, now we have whole armies moving across the map completely undetected. Did all the smart people die? We have Varys and Tyrion who have managed to demonstrate extreme political and military intelligence, and they miss massive troop movements repeatedly? The Lannisters have received Smart Plot Armor and our heroes suffered from brain damage (maybe Vitamin C deficiency?) in their crossing of the narrow sea?

B We have Varys and Tyrion who have managed to demonstrate extreme political and military intelligence, and they miss massive troop movements repeatedly?
Did they though? I get the feeling that Jaime knew exactly what Tyrion was going to do and simply outsmarted him. And assuming this all happened withing a two week period (which I'm guessing is a fortnight there), that's not actually a lot of time for them to be getting news when focused on two or three fronts, is it, particularly when they're not exactly set up like they were in King's Landing?

They're the smart ones, but neither of them are soldiers. That's Jaime's department.

I don't disagree with you, but Martin's last couple of books were shit because he had his main characters sitting around wringing their hands saying "Woe is me" because he couldn't figure out what to do. The show has gone too far in the other extreme because they are running out of time.[DOUBLEPOST=1501523984,1501523912][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did they though? I get the feeling that Jaime knew exactly what Tyrion was going to do and simply outsmarted him. And assuming this all happened withing a two week period (which I'm guessing is a fortnight there), that's not actually a lot of time for them to be getting news when focused on two or three fronts, is it, particularly when they're not exactly set up like they were in King's Landing?

They're the smart ones, but neither of them are soldiers. That's Jaime's department.
"Hey guys my Uncle was voted rightful king of the Iron Isles and hates us and is probably after us, but I'm sure it's NBD," Yara Greyjoy apparently.

GasBandit

Staff member
In choosing between shit that languishes for decades and shit that is laughably quick, I'll take the fast shit.[DOUBLEPOST=1501524065,1501524016][/DOUBLEPOST]
"Hey guys my Uncle was voted rightful king of the Iron Isles and hates us and is probably after us, but I'm sure it's NBD," Yara Greyjoy apparently.
Even Yara was taken by surprise by the fact that apparently an island with no trees can build hundreds of ships in a week or two.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, aside from the fact that, given the distances involved, any of these troop movements should take weeks, or months, to execute.

It does feel like they are moving pretty damn fast. I remember in the earlier seasons mobilizing and moving his way south took a decently long time for Robb, but now Jaime and Euron are popping up all across the south within just the last few episodes.

That was... an interesting episode.

I expected the 15 minutes of Cersei relishing in her win but I apparently didn't expect Dany to forgot how to wage battle and can't handle a fleet that can teleport all over the place constantly catching people by surprise. Some of the combat has been... rough around the edges.

This season could have used a few more episodes to... say.... flesh things out.

Speaking of teleportation...

Did Olenna Tyrell fly back to Highgarden on a dragon? Wasn't she just at Dragonstone to hear out the battle plan?

I'm assuming at this point that each scene is almost weeks apart. That's the only way any of this makes sense.

Speaking of teleportation...

Did Olenna Tyrell fly back to Highgarden on a dragon? Wasn't she just at Dragonstone to hear out the battle plan?

I'm assuming at this point that each scene is almost weeks apart. That's the only way any of this makes sense.
I think that's actually what's happening, but they're not making it very clear.

Dave

Staff member
Apparently if you want to watch episode 4 early it's been leaked online. Not saying where to find it but if I did, anyone can.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently if you want to watch episode 4 early it's been leaked online. Not saying where to find it but if I did, anyone can.
Even though I'm an unrepentant pirate, I'll probably still wait for sunday night. It's just part of my routine, now.

Just stopping in to say I did watch one of the spoilers, mainly the last battle, and honestly this whole season feels so surreal.

For 6 seasons Game of Thrones felt like it had three main "stories" going at all times. The political intrigue and wars in the south, the events at the Wall, and the events across the sea. While each one would have crossovers (Stannis going North, Tyrion crossing the Sea), and we also had smaller stories along with it (Arya) they still always felt so contained individually, like their own little worlds.

Watching those Dothraki scream over a hill on their horses and attacking Lannister soldiers just feels weird, because my brain still isn't grasped the fact that all three of those stories are now converged. I mean this is what we were leading too all this time, so it had to happen, but it still feels so damn weird to me, like a weird crossover of two shows, even though I know they are all part of the same show, but my brain just does not believe me, haha.