[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

I don't get the Ed Sheeran hate. He sings songs you don't like. OH MY GOOOOD.

Anyways, WHY THE FUCK IS DRAGONSTONE UNOCCUPIED BY ANYTHING? Even God damn Harrenhall had a token garrison.

What the fucking shit? It's literally a choke point to King's Landing by sea! The best place, BY FAR, to stage an attack on King's Landing. It's a nigh impregnable fortress on an island.

So, are the two Ironborn fleets just gonna pretend they aren't like right next to each other?

That is some God damn nonsense.

Last edited:

Anyways, WHY THE FUCK IS DRAGONSTONE UNOCCUPIED BY ANYTHING? Even God damn Harrenhall had a token garrison.

What the fucking shit? It's literally a choke point to King's Landing by sea! The best place, BY FAR, to stage an attack on King's Landing. It's a nigh impregnable fortress on an island.

So, are the two Ironborn fleets just gonna pretend they aren't like right next to each other?

The show needs to put up the warning in the books. That basically say that things are not happening on a set timeline.

GasBandit

Staff member
Because he's human pubic hair, and had no place being on GOT, especially not in a completely superfluous scene that was shoehorned in only so they'd have a place to put Ed Sheeran. What's next, is Justin Bieber going to get a cameo and hum a few bars? Coming soon to the official soundtrack: The Rains of Castamere, as arranged by Skrillex.

Maybe it had a token garrison, but after the news of Stannis' annihilation in the north, it wouldn't surprise me if they deserted, expecting the Lannisters to come and take it at any time.

It's been made pretty apparent, at least to me, as of last season (when Yara and Theon basically teleported across two continents and back) that Ironborn ships do not actually exist in time and space until they are at their destination. That's how they literally sail the entirety of the length of the known world - going the long way around continents - in exactly as much (or as little) time as the plot requires. Obviously, the crowning achievement of the navy of the Iron Islands is the hyperdrive.

Because he's human pubic hair, and had no place being on GOT, especially not in a completely superfluous scene that was shoehorned in only so they'd have a place to put Ed Sheeran.
Eh. I haven't seen the episode yet (I'm on season 3 :p), but as far as I've heard apologists say, the point of the scene is to (re-)humanize Lannister soldiers, both towards Arya and towards the viewer. Make her consider that not all opponents are necessarily evil and deserve to die (as, you know, rapist prison wardens and treacherous lords do, I guess). Help push er back towards the light, insofar as that is still possible.
Does that mean the scene needed Sheeran? Probably not, but not every scene has to be Big and Essential to the main plot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Eh. I haven't seen the episode yet (I'm on season 3 :p), but as far as I've heard apologists say, the point of the scene is to (re-)humanize Lannister soldiers, both towards Arya and towards the viewer. Make her consider that not all opponents are necessarily evil and deserve to die (as, you know, rapist prison wardens and treacherous lords do, I guess). Help push er back towards the light, insofar as that is still possible.
Does that mean the scene needed Sheeran? Probably not, but not every scene has to be Big and Essential to the main plot.
Gee, it's a good thing they didn't already do exactly that, seasons ago, with the Hound and Bronn, right down to a song being sung and laughter and stories. I mean, then it would just be retreading the same ground or something :p

I think the big complaint that struck home for me was the momentary departure from being there. One of the things I love about GoT is that when I'm watching it, it's another world, one that's typically done so well that I don't ever think about it not being real. Seeing a celebrity cameo in it took me out of that for a moment. Other than that, it seems like to be a lot of haters. Sheeran and the scene weren't bad or out of place. Just broke the illusion for a moment.

I think the big complaint that struck home for me was the momentary departure from being there. One of the things I love about GoT is that when I'm watching it, it's another world, one that's typically done so well that I don't ever think about it not being real. Seeing a celebrity cameo in it took me out of that for a moment. Other than that, it seems like to be a lot of haters. Sheeran and the scene weren't bad or out of place. Just broke the illusion for a moment.
That is very much a complaint I could get behind if it was a celebrity I'd recognize or was totally out of place as far as looks go. I doubt I'd recognize Sheeran, personally,though :p But yeah, even if it was a good casting choice, seeing...I dunno, Shakira turn up to sing a song would trouble my suspension of disbelief.

GasBandit

Staff member
That is very much a complaint I could get behind if it was a celebrity I'd recognize or was totally out of place as far as looks go. I doubt I'd recognize Sheeran, personally,though :p But yeah, even if it was a good casting choice, seeing...I dunno, Shakira turn up to sing a song would trouble my suspension of disbelief.
That's kinda where I was trying to go with my Bieber/Skrillex diatribe.

Maybe it had a token garrison, but after the news of Stannis' annihilation in the north, it wouldn't surprise me if they deserted, expecting the Lannisters to come and take it at any time.
Or they woke up that morning and "Hey guys, is that a fleet coming towards us? Who do you think it...HOLY CRAP! THEY HAVE DRAGONS! RUN AWAY!"

I mean that'd probably be my reaction.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or they woke up that morning and "Hey guys, is that a fleet coming towards us? Who do you think it...HOLY CRAP! THEY HAVE DRAGONS! RUN AWAY!"

I mean that'd probably be my reaction.
I thought that too, but then I remembered how thick the layer of dust was on the strategy table that Dany ran her finger across. I mean, maybe the place was garrisoned and nobody went in that particular room since Stannis left, or something, but, whatever. Also, it was abandoned long enough for Jamie Lannister to know it was abandoned and report it so to Cersei earlier in the episode, so it probably wasn't in the immediate face of dragons... ocean-specific time distortions aside.

Point is, there's a reasonable assumption that can be made that Stannis left it manned, if only with a skeleton crew, and they abandoned it at some point after his defeat.

That was it for me. Sheeran is a great guy, but it took me out of the scene seeing him. He wasn't a Lannister soldier, he was Ed Sheeran in armor.

Who the fuck is Ed Sheeran, and why are y'all so obsessed with him?

rhetorical question btw, pls don't answer
British pop singer that is too famous for a walk on spot on a tv series of unknowns. It is just a little jarring.

Not to mention that they did not change his hairstyle for the show to mask him at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1500412199,1500412116][/DOUBLEPOST]I was so disappointed that he did not end up with needle in his throat.

GasBandit

Staff member
All these ships coming and going from Dragonstone, Arya's been to the east, and back, and to the north, and coming back, and...

Gendry's still apparently rowing? Since season THREE.

If anything it further props up my "westerosi boats do not exist in our time and space until the plot calls for them to be at their destination" theory...

All these ships coming and going from Dragonstone, Arya's been to the east, and back, and to the north, and coming back, and...

Gendry's still apparently rowing? Since season THREE.

If anything it further props up my "westerosi boats do not exist in our time and space until the plot calls for them to be at their destination" theory...
All the waters of Westeros are filled with time space distortions like The Final Countdown. It explains everything.

Still, nothing can explain how Gilly's child stayed a baby for 5 seasons, and is only now suddenly a toddler.

TIMEY WIMEY BITCHES.

Westeros is Dark Souls.

All the waters of Westeros are filled with time space distortions like The Final Countdown. It explains everything.

Still, nothing can explain how Gilly's child stayed a baby for 5 seasons, and is only now suddenly a toddler.

TIMEY WIMEY BITCHES.

Westeros is Dark Souls.
What? That kid has been a toddler for the last two seasons at least.

GasBandit

Staff member

Frequent baths.

Watched it last night, solid start but I thought it would have been better if last season finished with Arya killing the Frays rather starting with it. Imagine the feast going on and everyone dying and at the end of it all.... she pulls off the face.... people would be like WTF. Then you start off the season the same way and watch her kill him off.

I'm with Frank, who the fuck leaves that completely unmanned? Cersei is clearly pointless, that's an important place to take... I mean seriously... empty FORTRESS? There's a reason Stannis had it. This isn't Barrowton, this fortress literally can blockade your city at the exit of the bay. A blockage that will kill off all your trade. DUMB.

As for Ed Sheeran, I recongnized his voice before he came on the screen. I avoid all spoilers so I was really thinking WTF for a moment. Took me out and while I understood the point of the scene, it would have better without him in it. Sure, there were other cameos in the past but they were mostly accomplished actors (exP: Ian McShane).

It was a good episode, solid build but honestly with the season compressed as it and pointlessly so.... I'm expecting some fucking action because come september, we're in for a long winter.

The Sheeran scene was disjointed because nothing happened. This is effing Game of Thrones and those were Lannister soldiers. Arya should've killed the lot of them.

I don't really care about Ed being in the scene as I didn't know who he was but what I'd say was wrong with the scene was it had no relevance this episode. For such a small forgettable scene like that, it would have been better for it to be in an episode where they show it early and then show Arya making a different decision because of it. As it was, it was a pointless scene. The setup and payoff need to be closer unless it's something memorable and without all the hubbub about Ed I probably wouldn't remember this scene when the next one airs.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing how Jamie's and Cersei's relationship plays out as they don't seem to trust each other anymore. Who turns on who first?