[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

Oh I know. The color of the hair has always been important to certain houses, it's sort of a branding mark for many of them (Lannisters, Targaryns, etc) so I just thought it was interesting how the one thing that made it unlikely for Jon to be Targaryen, the lack of white hair that all other Targaryens were known to have, was lived out through his dire-wolf, Ghost. None of the other dire-wolves were white haired, only the one given to Jon, which in hindsight makes much more sense now as a thematic device. Before this reveal the only thing that sort of connected was the fact his name was Snow, and snow is white, thus why he got the white wolf, but being a Targaryen changes the dynamic.

Interesting. Before the reveal, I assumed Ghost was given to Jon due to an Albino, runt's status in a pack of wolves is the lowest tier - similar to Jon's status as a bastard.

Did I post this already? I forget. I'm sure PatrThom will be along shortly with a link.
I don't follow GoT at all, so I'm rarely in this thread.
Usually only come here (like today) to clear it off my unread list.
And I don't link all your repeats. I have a life, you know.

--Patrick

See ,the sad thing is, if everything GRR had published was absolute gold, I'd be....on board with his writing style. OK, so you wait 'till the stars align and your Muse is up and about, but you write the awesomest greatest bestest thing ever, distilled Truth and Beauty, good for you. But....he doesn't. I'm a fan of the books, I really am, but the last two of these (and quite a few of his pre-ASOIAF books that have since been released) are....not that. I wouldn't call them bad, but they're unfocused, unguided, weakly edited, and undirected. I'd understand these books more if they'd been written in a year and quickly released after - people'd say he'd "sold out" perhaps, but it'd make sense in regards to the quality.

See ,the sad thing is, if everything GRR had published was absolute gold, I'd be....on board with his writing style. OK, so you wait 'till the stars align and your Muse is up and about, but you write the awesomest greatest bestest thing ever, distilled Truth and Beauty, good for you. But....he doesn't. I'm a fan of the books, I really am, but the last two of these (and quite a few of his pre-ASOIAF books that have since been released) are....not that. I wouldn't call them bad, but they're unfocused, unguided, weakly edited, and undirected. I'd understand these books more if they'd been written in a year and quickly released after - people'd say he'd "sold out" perhaps, but it'd make sense in regards to the quality.
He used to take less time on better books. His heart's just not in it anymore. To compare him with Stephen King again, both have made enough money that they could stop writing and just retire and they'd be fine. Martin likely wants to but the popularity of his unfinished works yanks at him. Meanwhile King tried to retire, but he genuinely enjoys writing and can't stop.

Let it be known in July it will be 6 years since his last book release.
I don't believe he's been working on Winds of Winter all this time, it's inane and I accept what Darryl wrote above.

Even when the book releases I won't buy it until I read a lot of reviews.
To me, the series on HBO is canon and RR Martin is literally writing fan fiction.

Let it be known in July it will be 6 years since his last book release.
I don't believe he's been working on Winds of Winter all this time, it's inane and I accept what Darryl wrote above.

Even when the book releases I won't buy it until I read a lot of reviews.
To me, the series on HBO is canon and RR Martin is literally writing fan fiction.
I think he's been working on it.

All this time? Nooooo. But I'm sure he does get his chapter every two months like in Gas's post :p. So considering the number of "who gives a shit about these characters?" new POVs, filler, and the 30 or so pages where the plot moves forward, I think we can look forward to Winds of Winter by 2050.

I would rather never see another book than get another shit fest like the last two books. His editors need to do their jobs instead of rushing the book out as fast as possible once they get it.

I would rather never see another book than get another shit fest like the last two books. His editors need to do their jobs instead of rushing the book out as fast as possible once they get it.
I'd really, really love another good book where in the plot moves forward and you can start to see the pieces of the puzzle cone together, but I doubt he'll manage to deliver that, too :(

It's quite likely that I will read the next book but not at release.

I'll be waiting for the entire series to be wrapped up, so that will be in approximately 6 to ten years time from now?

Assuming that he actually gets to finishing the final book at all.

It's quite likely that I will read the next book but not at release.

I'll be waiting for the entire series to be wrapped up, so that will be in approximately 6 to ten years time from now?

Assuming that he actually gets to finishing the final book at all.
Yeah, 6 to 10 years is optimistic. He might not even live that long, leaving it to someone else to finish the book.

Well, here, turn down the volume on that one and play this one instead.

Oh for the days when the season started in April.
Really? Kazoos. I complain about inappropriate music and you give me *kazoos* of all fucking things! Do you have any idea how dumb that is? It's...it's...

Freaking AWESOME! :rofl:

I sincerely doubt he'll ever finish the series. Hell, it'll be a minor surprise if he finishes this one before he dies.
And I doubt his estate is going to be as careful as say... Sir Terry Pratchet's is about his work. He left behind lots of material for new books but his daughter has said she's not interested in having it finished and is only interested in licensing it out if they stay true to the source.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, just save everybody a bunch of time, and throw all the source material in a UHAUL and drive it over to Brian Sanderson's house, so he can go ahead and get started now.

I really regret picking up A Song of ice and fire in the first place.

It's a major factor in my policy of on starting a series when it has been finished already.
That and a Wheel of time.
Although in that case there was nobody to blame.

Apart from death ...

Damn you death!

Six days to the season premiere, bitches!

I have not been this excited for a season premiere in years. I don't remember the last time. The closest was the series finale of Seinfeld, that was what? 10 years ago?

I don't know why I get so angry at GRR Martin. It's his creation and he's welcome to take his time, but Goddamn it I hate that fat bastard sometimes.