[TV] Winter HAS COME! - A Game of Thrones

now the book readers will be probably spoiled by everyone else that watches TV! And even better it's like, for the actual ending of the whole shebang. good shit, reality. good shit.

True, but there's proofreading and then there's editing. A group can proof it for spelling and grammar, but an editor is going to send things back to the author on cuts and suggestions and such, and the last couple books seem like they skipped this process, maybe because they were so long coming, maybe because no one wanted to tell Martin that maybe we could do with a couple less chapters from this or that character.
In the age of skype and shit they could group edit it too imo... with GRRM being the only bottleneck... which, yeah, would screw up the 3 months thing, but not because anything the publisher did...

a couple less chapters from this or that character.
I disagree... it's not the chapters that are the problem, it's the long winded descriptions that could have used some trimming... short world-building chapters would have worked way better if we didn't know exactly everything that was on the table at that particular meal.

I disagree... it's not the chapters that are the problem, it's the long winded descriptions that could have used some trimming... short world-building chapters would have worked way better if we didn't know exactly everything that was on the table at that particular meal.
It can be both :p. I guess I'm thinking book 4. Chapter-wise, book 5 got a lot better once the chronology got past the event period of book 4, so I had less issues with it that way and it was more of the problem you're describing.

I'm actually surprised it'll be likely be published in 2016... 5 years after the last book. This means at this rate, Leyla will be 9 when the last book comes out, if it does.

Insane. 2 books a decade.

The FUCK are you doing in life?

Joe Abercrombie > This scrub.

I don't think he wants to write them.

Why would anyone at this point? He's going to take a ton of shit no matter how he progresses the story and I'm sure all he hears from all directions is where's the next book, where's the next book?

Dave

Staff member
He'll die and Brandon Sanderson will finish it. And it'll be 100x better that way. Although I think it would be difficult for Sanderson to drop the c-word as much as Martin likes to do.

Nope, he'll die and that'll be the end of people thinking the series will end, because they'll finally have no choice but to admit it to themselves. The show is there for closure, no one will finish the books for him.

Dave

Staff member
Nope, he'll die and that'll be the end of people thinking the series will end, because they'll finally have no choice but to admit it to themselves. The show is there for closure, no one will finish the books for him.
They said the same thing about Jordan. I'm a big Sanderson fanboy, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

They said the same thing about Jordan. I'm a big Sanderson fanboy, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I like him too, but Sanderson was a huge Jordan fanboy, which is why he agreed to finish those books, it's not going to happen again.

Also Wheel of Time didn't have a wildly popular HBO adaptation when Jordan died, which is another huge factor.

I dunno. The right choice of follow-up author can really make a difference. I think Eoin Colfer did a great job finishing the Trilogy of Six - the addition of "...And another thing" really helps in keeping the whole readable - I'd probably never reread the fifth book if it wasn't for the addition of the sixth.
GRR has lost his fun in writing, and clearly wants to do other things - other books, perhaps, or just working for the TV show, or whatever. It's not an option at the moment because "artistry!", but the books would probably vastly improve if he used a well-chosen ghost writer for large parts and only set out the story lines and did some editing.

Dave

Staff member
Well, Martin has said that he'll do his best to prevent anyone else from finishing his books if he dies. He publicly said that he'll burn all his notes before he'd allow that to happen. Selfish prick.

Well, Martin has said that he'll do his best to prevent anyone else from finishing his books if he dies. He publicly said that he'll burn all his notes before he'd allow that to happen. Selfish prick.
That's not true, he's just saying that to stop assassination attempts from Stark loyalists.

So he comes back as a Rahloo zombie then...

On a more serious note, i understand not wanting someone else to finish your story, but the least he could do is have an outline about how he planned to end it that would be released if he died so we'd have some closure...

Frank Herbert really needed one too... if only to save us from his son...[DOUBLEPOST=1451941800,1451941684][/DOUBLEPOST]
It can be both :p. I guess I'm thinking book 4. Chapter-wise, book 5 got a lot better once the chronology got past the event period of book 4, so I had less issues with it that way and it was more of the problem you're describing.
Didn't book 4 have the least amount of chapters?

Yup: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters

For all of the people who bitch about him being too verbose, I honestly found the first three books to be pretty tight. It was when his books became crazy popular and he started getting a ton of pressure that he just went off meandering, probably because his books rushed out from draft to print because he took so long. I can understand people who have issues with deadlines, and I'd prefer no more books to him feeling forced to do it, because there's an honest quality difference.

Also, Martin knows where point A and point B are, but he had said multiple times that he doesn't know how to get there, and that is how he got stuck at Book 5 (as one example) for so long, because he couldn't figure out how to get Dany out of Mereen once he implanted her there. So good luck having someone come in to finish his books with the basically non existent notes.

Last edited:
Didn't book 4 have the least amount of chapters?

Yup: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters
Which has nothing to do with how many chapters were worth having. That's what I was getting at. Iron islanders, Brienne, etc. A lot of those storylines didn't need the number of chapters they had. I'd rather read 10 good chapters over 5 shitty ones, so number of chapters isn't the issue. It's having needless, pointless chapters that's the problem.

I just remembered that one of the things that irritated me about Sanderson finishing WoT was that he LOVES Perrin so much that I think we got too much Perrin, and other people's stories (ok fine I mean Mat) got a little sidelined and rushed. But that's really my only complaint.

Which has nothing to do with how many chapters were worth having. That's what I was getting at. Iron islanders, Brienne, etc. A lot of those storylines didn't need the number of chapters they had. I'd rather read 10 good chapters over 5 shitty ones, so number of chapters isn't the issue. It's having needless, pointless chapters that's the problem.

And what i was getting at was that it's not the chapters that are the problem, but the excessive amount of verbosity they contain... imo the extra information about the world isn't unwelcomed, but they way it's presented, especially with the big time gaps between books, is what turns people off (i've only read the books after ADWD came out, and it didn't bother me much, even if i recognized the issues).

I mean Quentin's chapters read a bit like GRRM experimenting with his style and the whole PoV thing... which would have been fine if the next book wasn't, maybe, coming out 20 years after the 1st.

And what i was getting at was that it's not the chapters that are the problem, but the excessive amount of verbosity they contain... imo the extra information about the world isn't unwelcomed, but they way it's presented, especially with the big time gaps between books, is what turns people off (i've only read the books after ADWD came out, and it didn't bother me much, even if i recognized the issues).

I mean Quentin's chapters read a bit like GRRM experimenting with his style and the whole PoV thing... which would have been fine if the next book wasn't, maybe, coming out 20 years after the 1st.
Most of Brienne's chapters could've been cut without losing anything. Not just the descriptions or world-building--most of it. Same with Iron Islanders. It wasn't just unnecessary sections of those chapters, but chapters following unnecessary subplots.

Why would you read book 5 first?

To be fair, you don't know that. The Iron Islanders have as much to do with the "main" plot at the moment as Daenerys has. I assume Danny will end up being quite important; likewise, both Brienne
and her mistress
, and the Iron Islanders, still may have important things to do.
At least, I hope so.
If Brienne was only there to give Jaime a chance to be the good guy, and the II only to keep Greyjoy busy....Yeah, they were a huge waste. But Lady Stoneheart can be - must be - hugely important. And the IIs might still be the fleet Danny needs. Or something.

I didn't mean that the Iron Islanders weren't important, but that you could've cut a couple of those chapters and it wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm confident the next book will be better because there are only two books left, and after books 4 and 5, the pieces are in place. There's really no need for more build-up. Winter's here.

I didn't mean that the Iron Islanders weren't important, but that you could've cut a couple of those chapters and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Dude, they had like 5 chapters, and, if i recall right, at least one was Asha Oop Norf. Looks like i don't, that was in ADWD.

There's some hubub that the last season will be split from 13 episodes to a 7 and 6 episode 2 seasons.

Thanks AMC for making this normal you fucks.