Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
people are assholes on the internet, I have experienced insults and alike from people who claim they are being oppressed by bullies(I don't mean specifically on here.). Personally I don't give any of you any heed, since honestly this is the internet, the barbs and insults thrown are effectively negligible since I only have to watch you scream in to the wind.
The only thing I would ever take serious are real threats on the safety and welfare of my family or myself. Other than that the stuff the "bullies" have to say just really doesn't matter to me.

Making fun of Charlie for literally just posting: "Charlie, right? LOL"

Saying the guy with depression might be a bit too sensitive: "No. Not LOL. We are a loving community."

As I said before, I like the snarkiness of the forum, that to me is honestly a perfectly healthy way for friends to communicate with one another, that being said, if someone expresses that they are uncomfortable with your jokes at their expense, if you are given notification that you are in fact bothering them, you lay off. To me it's that simple.

S

SeraRelm

You have managed to either miss my point completely, or deliberately ignored it.
Chippy doesn't work with metaphors.
While not supporting being a complete douche to someone, I have to agree with Chippy that it's a poor metaphor.

Being the target of physical violence vs a small visual memory? Come on. How about "Are you more likely to recall getting head or getting punched in the face?" or "Are you more likely to remember a frown than a smile?" Those a far better examples.

Saying the guy with depression might be a bit too sensitive: "No. Not LOL. We are a loving community."
Hold on, are you comparing me to Charlie "Nearly every comment I make is dropping with trollism" Don't Smurf?

As I said before, I like the snarkiness of the forum, that to me is honestly a perfectly healthy way for friends to communicate with one another, that being said, if someone expresses that they are uncomfortable with your jokes at their expense, if you are given notification that you are in fact bothering them, you lay off. To me it's that simple.
well we cant expect people who are clinically depressed to find this type of environment conducive to their ongoing treatment and recovery, personally I think its madness to stay if you are depressed, this is not the place to be if you are in any negative state of mind. but thats just my two cents.

▍▍▍▍▍▍

While not supporting being a complete douche to someone, I have to agree with Chippy that it's a poor metaphor.

Being the target of physical violence vs a small visual memory? Come on. How about "Are you more likely to recall getting head or getting punched in the face?" or "Are you more likely to remember a frown than a smile?" Those a far better examples.
Okay. Are you more likely to remember getting head than being punched in the face?

Hold on, are you comparing me to Charlie "Nearly every comment I make is dropping with trollism" Don't Smurf?
It's more of a look on the whole forum's attitude than a comparison. And Charlie posts non-trolling shit sometimes and still deals with it. Or when he's not even around.

S

SeraRelm

I'm more likely to recall a less common event because those are the ones that stand out. Like finding one black some in a drawer full of white socks, it's more noticeable. On the other hand, I'm not going to throw out the whole drawer because of finding one different sock.

Fucking sock racists.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm more likely to recall a less common event because those are the ones that stand out. Like finding one black some in a drawer full of white socks, it's more noticeable. On the other hand, I'm not going to throw out the whole drawer because of finding one different sock.
A black sock is different, but it's not a bad thing. A muddy sock is uncommon as well, but if one ends up in a drawer full of clean socks, it messes up everything it touches. Not that I think that's a very apt analogy, but I do think that harsh words have an impact, bad attitudes tend to spread, and I don't think it's a good thing to just sit by and let people be jerks. If it's a consistent thing, walking away is a perfectly valid reaction.

Whether the "disorder" makes "sense" seems a weak argument when you can admit it and say you realize it.

Isn't there a program where "admitting" is part of the process?

I know you're depressed ThatNickGuy , I've been around through all your ups and downs. I've told you time and again how much you're liked around here and how the vast majority of the forum has always backed and supported you.

If you're still, despite everything you've heard, seen, and heard me tell you, going to talk about "my sabatical from HF" or "I'm not sure I'm going to stay" because 1-2 people "bully" you (which by the way, I can't even recall a single time past "Grow a thicker skin kid" has been thrown your way) then you're going to be miserable and alone for a very long time.

It's one thing to "push people away" accidentally, it's a whole other beast to know you're doing it, acknowledge you're doing it and say "well that's just the disorder I got". I'm already ready for the "dislike button" to light up a candle, but when other people talk about their depression, I don't care. When you do it? It bothers the shit out of me because I KNOW you have a supportive group and next to NOONE actually bothering you.

S

SeraRelm

Maybe, but you can always remove that sock from your drawer (ignore function). :p

figmentPez

Staff member
Maybe, but you can always remove that sock from your drawer (ignore function). :p
Assuming it doesn't get other socks dirty first. That's how it feels when multiple people start saying bad things about you, and then others start siding with them.

Pretty sure that's the joke, Bones.
oh ok, thought you were still being serious, you need to let us know when it is funny tng time, and serious I am getting bullied and dont want to be here tng time. Because I thought we were still in the middle of you being a depressed victim of bullying and you were trying to show us in all seriousness what goes through your mind. thanks for clearing it up for me!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.