Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?

The point is that you can ignore someone, which is awesome, but they can still lead their assholes friends against you. It isn't like seeing what someone says and defending yourself does anything around here. Then you hear that you are white knighting, have no sense of humor, or need a thicker skin.

It isn't the price you pay for using the ignore function. it is the price you pay for being on the forum.
I don't even know what you're arguing.

S

SeraRelm

If you love it so much, why don't you Marie it!

Way to ninja my reply spot, Frank.

M

makare

The ignore function is awesome there is very little downside to it.

I am saying that as great as it is to be able to ignore someone, and it is, those people still affect the rest of the forum. They are like a disease that eventually makes everything crap. The crap disease. I love being able to enjoy the forum without seeing them but they are still out there making it crap.

figmentPez

Staff member
I believe that's a price you pay for the ignore feature.
Missing the point. While the ignore feature does allow me to ignore a poster who makes me upset, it doesn't do anything to stop a poster from making the forum a worse place in general. Saying "just ignore the jerks" is okay if it's just two posters who irritate each other, but blinders don't help if there's a deeper problem.

S

SeraRelm

Some of those people have been around a long time. That isn't an excuse for douchiness, just pointing out that the "disease" isn't really spreading that much.

M

makare

This thread really exists in order to deal with that type of problem. The awareness of it and the willingness to do anything about it comes and goes.

Maybe it is more like herpes... we only do anything when the outbreak gets bad enough. (is there a not so bad herpes outbreak.. I dunno anything about it personally >.>)

Some of those people have been around a long time. That isn't an excuse for douchiness, just pointing out that the "disease" isn't really spreading that much.
But we're killing the forum Sera! It's disappearing! It's going to be a shit hole full of shit lords! Just ask Chippy !

Missing the point. While the ignore feature does allow me to ignore a poster who makes me upset, it doesn't do anything to stop a poster from making the forum a worse place in general. Saying "just ignore the jerks" is okay if it's just two posters who irritate each other, but blinders don't help if there's a deeper problem.
You can't have a forum tailor itself to you, especially one so old.

Edit - I'll expand. While you and Makare think this place has people that shouldn't be here and make it worse. I'd imagine you'd find as many or more that disagree.

S

SeraRelm

I do feel like this is being over exaggerated, by the way. Describing someone as a disease because of some jerk posts or mannerisms? Wanting (or seeming to) excise the opinions of others for disagreeing with yours? That doesn't seem like a better forum.

Its a place to exchange ideas and viewpoints regardless of what we agree or disagree on and I wouldn't want to block out any of it.

Except for Juski. That dude wubs too much.

M

makare

Well, I can't speak for anyone else but what I am talking about is not about agreeing or disagreeing. It is about open hostility towards others coupled with a disregard for others' feelings and lack of responsibility for actions.

If you can't effectively disagree with what someone says without attacking who they are then there is a problem. It is a problem there is too much of around here.

figmentPez

Staff member
You can't have a forum tailor itself to you, especially one so old.

Edit - I'll expand. While you and Makare think this place has people that shouldn't be here and make it worse. I'd imagine you'd find as many or more that disagree.
It's not the people, it's the behavior. It's an attitude that ebbs and flows on here, and it only recedes when people get fed up with it and start calling people on acting like assholes.

S

SeraRelm

Ergo my comment on describing someone(s) as a disease. That's a personal attack and lends little credence to your stance.

I expect better of you, makare !

I know I'm an asshole sometimes. I hope that most of the time I'm not, but I can't say that it's so. If people choose to ignore me because it makes their forum experience less stressful, or if they can't fucking stand me, that's cool. They should have that option.

S

SeraRelm

Side note, I'd expect the people you say are acting like assholes might feel the same way about you. I can't speak for them, of course, but I'd not be surprised by this.

M

makare

Eh, it's pretty vague for a personal attack. Like Pez said the people I am describing are ones who act a certain way so it is really the behavior that is the problem. Unfortunately through a text based medium all we really get is the behavior.

▍▍▍▍▍▍

I know I'm an asshole sometimes. I hope that most of the time I'm not, but I can't say that it's so. If people choose to ignore me because it makes their forum experience less stressful, or if they can't fucking stand me, that's cool. They should have that option.

Nnnnope.
-NR

I really gotta stop checking this thread while here at work, all these big anime girls pics are earning me some odd looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.