Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
I know I missed most of this conversation, but here's a thought that has been realistically kicked around, and could be possible.

The plan is to get comics back up, led by me and Sin, if she wants in. The collective plan seemed to fall apart.

Dave suggested a blog, and I like that. Let's face it - we're ALL over the place, running the full gamut of geekdom. (Might be a great name for something). Let's own that, and discuss/review/snark all things geek, with a rotating cast of writers. We're not short of opinions, and we could conceivably keep a blog like that running indefinitely, and actually create something legitimate.

Now obviously, giving a select few free-posting rights could lead to some wildness, and that would be counterproductive to the project. What we would need is an editorial board, and to have our writers focus on their particular interests/areas of expertise. This gives better control, a safety-net for Dave for potential shitstorms, and an sense of organization. I was a part of something like this with the blog Way of the Geek, and it was a pretty organized and productive group. We do this thing up right, we could get sponsors, which could help fund this place at no cost to Dave.

Dave suggested a blog, and I like that. Let's face it - we're ALL over the place, running the full gamut of geekdom. (Might be a great name for something). Let's own that, and discuss/review/snark all things geek, with a rotating cast of writers. We're not short of opinions, and we could conceivably keep a blog like that running indefinitely, and actually create something legitimate.
We're going to need an editor and a copy editor who know what they're doing, and we're going to need writers to actually listen to those people. We're going to need some way to loosely tie things together. We're going to need someone to do an excellent job on web design and layout. But it's all possible, and I think it's the best option.

Zappit

Staff member
We're going to need an editor and a copy editor who know what they're doing, and we're going to need writers to actually listen to those people. We're going to need some way to loosely tie things together. We're going to need someone to do an excellent job on web design and layout. But it's all possible, and I think it's the best option.
Dave, Ames, and I were talking about setting up the front page for this. If we do go in this direction, we need to carefully consider who would be a writer - a good reputation, the ability to write clearly and deliver interesting ideas or jokes, and a personality that hasn't been, how should I say this - volatile and immature. A diplomatic nature and the ability to turn the other cheek is an absolute necessity. In other words - we need adults.

Wall_of_Text
You know what I don't get about you ThatNickGuy or anyonelse who's left over being "bullied"? That you've had at least 3x the supportive people, being nice, kind, helpful, and generally "good" to you. People who've talked to you on a personal level, helped with personal things (like books or relationships). Yet you and others are "ready to leave the forum and delete their bookmarks" or "not sure if I want to post anymore".

It boggles the mind how a vocal minority will affect you much stronger than the large, perhaps less vocal majority.

You know what I don't get about you ThatNickGuy or anyonelse who's left over being "bullied"? That you've had at least 3x the supportive people, being nice, kind, helpful, and generally "good" to you. People who've talked to you on a personal level, helped with personal things (like books or relationships). Yet you and others are "ready to leave the forum and delete their bookmarks" or "not sure if I want to post anymore".

It boggles the mind how a vocal minority will affect you much stronger than the large, perhaps less vocal majority.
I'd say even 5x. But those people that make me consider leaving make it worse.

To put it in real-world terms, I wouldn't avoid, say, work or school if there were people bullying me there. At least there, I could do something about it. If it's outright bullying, then I have the right and privilege to report them or at the very least threaten with bodily harm. (I've been told that I can be one scary angry dude.) Plus, having the support network in person is entirely different from an internet connection. Believe me when I say I appreciate the support that people have given me on here, but even they'd be the first to admit that it's not the same as having someone in person to vent to or support you.

In this case, it's not just that people seemingly act entirely different from how they would act in the situation in person (as CG questioned), but that I feel entirely powerless to do anything about it. Because as I said, they're not just bullying, but unrelenting and unbashful about it. Which really, brings me back to Cajun's comment about whether they'd act the same in person because I highly doubt they would.

Which for me translates into "depression."
Depression has nothing to do with ignoring all the people that support you to listen to 2-3 people that "bully" you. That's "selective hearing".

As for "bullies being different in person" I doubt that highly. I don't think for a second that our "bashers" here act any differently in person.

Depression has nothing to do with ignoring all the people that support you to listen to 2-3 people that "bully" you. That's "selective hearing".

As for "bullies being different in person" I doubt that highly. I don't think for a second that our "bashers" here act any differently in person.
You going to start with that again figmentPez ?

but even they'd be the first to admit that it's not the same as having someone in person to vent to or support you.
You're right, it's also not the same as people "bullying" you over the internet.

I recall someone saying once, "If someone smiles at you while punching you, are you likely to remember the smile or the punch?"

By extension, if five people are smiling at you while one guy is punching you, are you likely to remember the smiles or the punch?

I'm not surprised Nick's found some of his experiences here hard to bear. Seems like human nature to remember the negative stuff more clearly.

Usually I can shrug it off by remembering a line from a Helmet song-
"I'd rather be insulted by you than someone I respect". Tends to get me far on the internet.

I recall someone saying once, "If someone smiles at you while punching you, are you likely to remember the smile or the punch?"

By extension, if five people are smiling at you while one guy is punching you, are you likely to remember the smiles or the punch?

I'm not surprised Nick's found some of his experiences here hard to bear. Seems like human nature to remember the negative stuff more clearly.
Yes a semi-mean thing on the internet is the equivalent to be being punched in the face.

Nope. Because when I'm depressed, I push everyone away (even in-person supports like my mother) and wallow in my own self pity, focusing only on the negatives. Fun fact: that's depression.

Anyway, can we please not have this argument? I shouldn't have to constantly explain my mental disorder. That's the whole thing about a mental disorder: a lot of times, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

So right now, I'm telling you to please drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.