Who are we and who do we want to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I can shrug it off by remembering a line from a Helmet song-
"I'd rather be insulted by you than someone I respect". Tends to get me far on the internet.
Well Mrs Krisken, I think that I will keep that quote with me for the rest of my life. Fantastic.

M

makare

I am enjoying the sock metaphors here. Reminds me of the Wayside School books...

Whether the "disorder" makes "sense" seems a weak argument when you can admit it and say you realize it.

Isn't there a program where "admitting" is part of the process?

I know you're depressed ThatNickGuy , I've been around through all your ups and downs. I've told you time and again how much you're liked around here and how the vast majority of the forum has always backed and supported you.

If you're still, despite everything you've heard, seen, and heard me tell you, going to talk about "my sabatical from HF" or "I'm not sure I'm going to stay" because 1-2 people "bully" you (which by the way, I can't even recall a single time past "Grow a thicker skin kid" has been thrown your way) then you're going to be miserable and alone for a very long time.

It's one thing to "push people away" accidentally, it's a whole other beast to know you're doing it, acknowledge you're doing it and say "well that's just the disorder I got". I'm already ready for the "dislike button" to light up a candle, but when other people talk about their depression, I don't care. When you do it? It bothers the shit out of me because I KNOW you have a supportive group and next to NOONE actually bothering you.
First of all, thank you so very much for not dropping this as I asked.

Second, believe me, I have been told numerous times to grow a thicker skin or something similar to it. Whether you've seen it is irrelevant; it's been said. Some public, some private.

Third, I never said I push people away accidentally. I do it completely purposely...while I'm depressed. And I mean deep depression to the point of saying "Screw it, I'm going back to bed" rather than deal with the world. It's not rational. There's no rationale behind it. Because again, it's a flipping mental disease. If I could explain or understand the rationale behind it, I wouldn't likely be depressed as often. It's something I'm still trying not to do but I can't help it sometimes. And frankly speaking, this past year has not been easy for me because I've had little to no in-person support network while living here in Maine.

Maybe it's because I'm tired and maybe it's because I'm currently recovering from a bout with depression this past weekend, but I didn't really see compliments there. Criticizing, yes, but not compliments.

Anyway, I'm hitting the sack. Still have final projects to finish for this term.

S

SeraRelm

Blocking people on the forum stops me from seeing them. It doesn't stop other people from seeing them, and if those other people then listen and agree, then it still affects me.
Wait, so people aren't allowed to agree with each other if you don't also agree with it? I can't believe you actually feel that way. Would you like to restate this differently?

figmentPez

Staff member
Wait, so people aren't allowed to agree with each other if you don't also agree with it? I can't believe you actually feel that way. Would you like to restate this differently?
Sorry, if someone lies about me, and others believe it, then that affects me.

M

makare

I think he means more like the times when people start tag teaming certain people based on the initial actions of one person. You might have the other person on ignore and not have to see what they write but the volatile nature of their posts can still have a generally bad effect.

Oh shit, you mean the ignore feature doesn't let you see part of a conversation you might be interested in? Damn, well maybe there should be an option to click the post and read it while still hiding all the other posts by that person.

:problemo:

I think he means more like the times when people start tag teaming certain people based on the initial actions of one person. You might have the other person on ignore and not have to see what they write but the volatile nature of their posts can still have a generally bad effect.
I believe that's a price you pay for the ignore feature.

M

makare

I believe that's a price you pay for the ignore feature.
What?

The point is that you can ignore someone, which is awesome, but they can still lead their assholes friends against you. It isn't like seeing what someone says and defending yourself does anything around here. Then you hear that you are white knighting, have no sense of humor, or need a thicker skin.

It isn't the price you pay for using the ignore function. it is the price you pay for being on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.