Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

North_Ranger

Staff member
I cannot help but laugh every time GB starts bashing monogamy as a way for "weak people" to get laid.

No offense, Mr Ewok, but if the world ran according to that particular opinion of yours, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be one of the few lucky ones with a humongous harem. You'd be just like the rest of us schmucks who date Rosie Palms.

Debby, not gonna say a damn thing against your situation. If it works for you and you're not hurting anybody by doing it, I have no beef with you. I just hope things work out between the four of you.

GasBandit

Staff member
I cannot help but laugh every time GB starts bashing monogamy as a way for "weak people" to get laid.

No offense, Mr Ewok, but if the world ran according to that particular opinion of yours, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be one of the few lucky ones with a humongous harem. You'd be just like the rest of us schmucks who date Rosie Palms.
Even assuming you were correct in that assumption, how does my advancing an objective assertion, despite it not being to my own benefit, render it less valid? If anything, it should bolster my position.

Many cultures on earth have no problem with polyamory. It's still a hard sell around here though. I believe it to be a sign of insecurity - monogamy is basically a tool to make sure even the least suitable can find someone willing to settle for them.

I often assert everything we're taught about love is wrong - it is not forever, nor is it necessarily restricted to one person, and it certainly does not conquer all.
Even assuming you were correct in that assumption, how does my advancing an objective assertion, despite it not being to my own benefit, render it less valid? If anything, it should bolster my position.
Curious where this 'objective assertion' is and why you believe arguing for or against any position that works for or against you makes it any more or less valid.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Consider it an educated assumption, seeing how one of your more commonplace comments involves being prepared for the day when the United States falls apart, therefore implying your own superiority in such concerns. Also, I wasn't saying anything about your argument. I just find the associations derived from it humorous.

Were I an impish man by nature, I'd mention an argument stating that the rise of such societal norms where a minority of men have several wives and therefore a good number of men have none gave rise to certain religious texts concerning forty virgins waiting in the afterlife for those who die in a holy war. It'd be even more impish of me to suggest that by voicing your support for such a societal arrangement you are covertly approving terrorism. But that would just be mean, wouldn't it? ;) Plus I find the whole argument silly to begin with :p Or at least forced and simplistic as hell, "A therefore B".

GasBandit

Staff member
Curious where this 'objective assertion' is and why you believe arguing for or against any position that works for or against you makes it any more or less valid.
My assertion is that enforced monogamy is an unnatural societal construct. His assertion is that mine is somehow incorrect by way of his opinion that it wouldn't benefit me. That doesn't follow.

Consider it an educated assumption
Educated. Ha.. you nearly got me to squirt water out of my nose when I read that.

, seeing how one of your more commonplace comments involves being prepared for the day when the United States falls apart, therefore implying your own superiority in such concerns.
Ah, so a non sequitur and an implied ad hominem rolled into one is your explanation. Bravo.

tumblr_kzhxmzvDxB1qboiiho1_400.gif

Were I an impish man by nature, I'd mention an argument stating that the rise of such societal norms where a minority of men have several wives and therefore a good number of men have none gave rise to certain religious texts concerning forty virgins waiting in the afterlife for those who die in a holy war.
Only 40 now? I'd heard it was 72. Damn, are they running out?

It'd be even more impish of me to suggest that by voicing your support for such a societal arrangement you are covertly approving terrorism. But that would just be mean, wouldn't it? ;) Plus I find the whole argument silly to begin with :p Or at least forced and simplistic as hell, "A therefore B".
Wait, are you saying that any support of an islamic worldview is tantamount to approving terrorism?

My assertion is that enforced monogamy is an unnatural societal construct. His assertion is that mine is somehow incorrect by way of his opinion that it wouldn't benefit me. That doesn't follow.
You claim that you are making an 'Objective Assertion' which is wrong. You then assert that because this 'objective assertion' works against you, you could claim that it becomes even more valid which is wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
You claim that you are making an 'Objective Assertion' which is wrong. You then assert that because this 'objective assertion' works against you, you could claim that it becomes even more valid which is wrong.
You claim I'm wrong, which is wrong.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Wait, are you saying that any support of an islamic worldview is tantamount to approving terrorism?
Nah, I'm just poking fun at your over-the-top argumentation, old bean. And I repeat, I'm not commenting on what's a natural mating behavior for Homo sapiens. I'm just having a bit of fun.

No harm intended, mind you. I find myself disagreeing with you more often than not, but I find your arguments interesting - if somewhat pompous from time to time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nah, I'm just poking fun at your over-the-top argumentation, old bean. And I repeat, I'm not commenting on what's a natural mating behavior for Homo sapiens. I'm just having a bit of fun.

No harm intended, mind you. I find myself disagreeing with you more often than not, but I find your arguments interesting - if somewhat pompous from time to time.
Well, fooey. I thought you were going to start being fun to talk to for a minute there.

Aaaaanyway....

We put the other rat to sleep. The last of the three brothers began panicking when we let him near the body, running all over the place, hiding in a box, under my wife's arm, digging, sniffing the body, running again. He's the most social of them, certainly the least capable of handling being alone. I would've waited longer so he wouldn't be alone, but his sick brother was suffering. Hopefully he and the little ones can adjust soon outside the cage so we can soon move them all together and he won't be alone anymore.

Okay, you can continue arguing.

Quotemander Prime Can one truly argue after the death of a rat? Makes you think.

Anywhoozles...yeah I got nothing. Does whining about having nothing to whine about count as whining? I mean yeah I'm up all night studying but I've stayed up later. My migraines aren't even close to as bad as they were yesterday, and I think my mom's job is doing well. I wish I had a job so I could complain about that.

I came here to whine, but after reading this page and the one before, I feel like things need to get resolved before we move on.

But..I'm doing it anyway.

I hate that feeling as if you're going to throw up, but you don't. I just feel so siiiiiick and think that if I threw up, I could start feeling better. But no, I'm just going to sit here at work, staring at my garbage can, just in case. :puke:

And my eye won't stop twitching!!! Can't this day just be over with?

I went to Tim's for a coffee and it was super busy. Dude in front of me had a massive list of coffees to order and paid in change...mostly pennies...COME ON!!!

I came here to whine, but after reading this page and the one before, I feel like things need to get resolved before we move on.

But..I'm doing it anyway.

I hate that feeling as if you're going to throw up, but you don't. I just feel so siiiiiick and think that if I threw up, I could start feeling better. But no, I'm just going to sit here at work, staring at my garbage can, just in case. :puke:

And my eye won't stop twitching!!! Can't this day just be over with?
Maybe you got a bun in the oven ;P

Completely joking, however a girlfriend I had went through this multiple times and everytime we'd get a pregnancy test done. She never was but we figured it was most likely tied to her birth control. She switched methods and didn't have the problem anymore after that.

Even if it's one you've used for a long time, your body chemistry can from one day to the next change enough that it no longer agrees with your system.

There is something seriously wrong with a couple of the tools we use at work. Anytime copy/pasting 10 columns, in a single row, of data into Excel causes the program to hang for anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes on a machine with 8GB of RAM; something is seriously, seriously wrong.

Being nauseous is the worst thing in the world. Flying back into Utah from Nashville I was feeling pretty horrible to the point where I ended up gagging in the bathroom several times. I had even asked if they had dramamine on the flight for purchase (they didn't) so I had to suffer through it, making it the longest flight ever. The woman next to me, bless her, was patient with my constant fidgeting and getting up. At one point I even suggested that she talk to me to distract my brain from feeling crappy and so we started talking about why we were in Nashville. She was at a rehab clinic after breaking her pelvis in a fall.

I held my hand up, scooted out of the seat and hustled back up to the bathroom to gag some more.

And don't even get me started on whale watching off of Vancouver Island.

Really? I have them on and off through-out each year. Also I hear random ringing at any one time every few days. Its odd.
You might want to get that checked. My wife has a prescription for her migraines because they're so severe.

I only got migraines when I was a kid, and from what I remember, they're not just whine-worthy, they're sob-worthy. With a side of screaming and vomit.

You might want to get that checked. My wife has a prescription for her migraines because they're so severe.

I only got migraines when I was a kid, and from what I remember, they're not just whine-worthy, they're sob-worthy. With a side of screaming and vomit.
I'll keep that in mind, but these are usually a seasonal thing mostly with climate change. I guess I consider back-aches, migraines,TMJ, and feelings of what is apparently horrible pain not so much whine-worthy cos I'm pretty used to it. It is a miracle I am as strong as I am today. Well...able bodied as I am today.

That's the trouble with polyamory. The more people you add, the more likely you are to include a monogamist. The odds say so.

As to migraines, Kati has been battling a headache that started when she was in her teens…even before the automobile accident that tried to peel her forehead over the top of her head. She generally gets at least one migraine/month, and usually treats it with equal parts ibuprofen and darkness.

--Patrick

The first one I had was simply debilitating for an hour or two. You know, fetal position while trying to figure out how to reach in and scoop out the part of the rain that hurts.

The second one was preceded by my eyes going to spots of light, then see only a tiny portion of the center of my vision. Then the same debilitating headache for an hour or two. Both in high school. The second one resulted in going to the ER for a checkout, because eye problems associated with migraines can sometimes suggest blood flow issues in the brain. Nothing came of it, except some Tylenol three, which, incidentally, didn't help. I just had to wait it out.

Thankfully I've never had that kind of headache again.
I remember having one so bad I couldn't even will myself to move. Had to stay home from school. A constant banging in my head.

One day that came close to my head/back aches was in elementary school. When I was dealing with an asthma attack and a cold AT THE SAME TIME! I was up until 3 am trying to sleep but I couldn't.

I was driving to work and I got the little swirly kaleidoscopes at the sides of my vision and I even commented to my wife that I had no peripheral vision because of the swirlies, not thinking anything of it. It wasn't until I got closer to work, pulled over to the side of the road, puked my guts out, ripped a hole in my pants, collapsed on the side of the road, dragged myself back into the Jeep and drove myself to the hospital that I thought anything was particularly wrong.