Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Teaching's better again, but the 5th grade class is a bunch of entitled, sarcastic shits. I WISH I could be free to tell them just how horrible they are. But noooo.... their parents love them. I'm sick of people telling me to praise the good one and "redirect" the ones who are off task. This group flat out does not care... but I have a plan... Oh yes, I have a plan.
No, you may NOT borrow my handcuffs.

Ready to crack my head open.

We mingled the new baby rats with the last surviving older one, and today was our test run to see if everyone can live together. We've been cautious because one other older rat caused the death of a baby six months ago.

Tables have turned. I think the babies are actually a danger to the health of the older rat, and so is his living place. It's an enormous cage, over five feet tall I believe, with ramps and lots of platforms and toys. Awesome place for baby rats to hop everywhere--not so great for an older rat who's developed a limp in one of his hind legs. He used to climb more than walk--now he's hobbling and I don't know where it's come from. I had to remove the litter dishes because they were making it hard to move, so I can't wait to deal with THAT mess.

But the babies are running circles around him, climbing on him, taking food... and we have special food for him that they're gonna eat. I have some thoughts on how to fix some of this, but I need help, and my wife is "le tired" as she'd say and so I'm frustrated.

Taking a break from the stress of the last four hours to eat some real food and waste my mind online. No idea what's next. I really don't want the older rat to live in a smaller cage, alone for the rest of his life. Might mean another vet appointment in the near future while our money's already dwindling just to see what the hell's wrong with his leg and be told by the vet that there's nothing we can do.

Fuck I'm in a bad mood.

I don't know how things work with rats, but if you move him into a smaller cage could you place the cages next to each other so he wouldn't exactly be all alone?

Or you could sequester him in his own corner/level, with his own special food and stuff, but screened off from the babies with hardware cloth or something (if the mesh is small enough).

--Patrick

I don't know how things work with rats, but if you move him into a smaller cage could you place the cages next to each other so he wouldn't exactly be all alone?
Or you could sequester him in his own corner/level, with his own special food and stuff, but screened off from the babies with hardware cloth or something (if the mesh is small enough).

--Patrick
Thanks for the suggestions. The cages have been next to each other for the past week; they really need the ability to interact beyond when the big human monsters can come home and let them be with each other. The reason I'm aggravated is because he seemed fine, and now suddenly he's turning into a cripple. One brother dropped, then another, and now I don't know how long he's going to last. We got the babies for him, so he'd have companions with his brother gone.

My wife got up and we talked about things, so they're a little better now. I added more platforms to the cage so the ramps aren't so steep and we've just accepted that the babies are going to eat the special food as well, and then when the older one dies, we'll take it away from them.

Never underestimate the power of a wife to talk to.

Never mind! You guys were right and we were wrong. I noticed the older one wasn't leaving the bottom of the cage, thought this for the best--then I discovered his foot freakishly swollen. Now he's separated and medicated and I doubt he's going to make it to 2013, maybe not even to winter, and I feel like I've been wasting all my time and money and energy these past couple months on animals who are going to drop dead anyway.

:D Fuck it all.

You've been having all sorts of rotten luck with your pets. Are you sure you aren't getting factory refurbished pets, Chinese knock offs, or dinged up display models?
My wife has dubbed this the "season of death".

And technically they do have more problems because we got them from a pet store and not a breeder. But even then, they're just not animals that tend to live more than two years. Somehow the hamster, who is practically furniture that eats resources and was born a year earlier than the rats, is doing just fine and will probably outlive the human race.

I've been noticing that my hamster hasn't been running on her wheel as much as she used to (she is getting old now, over two years) but last night when I took her out of her cage I found a big lump behind her front left leg. It doesn't seem to be causing pain and she still eats and drinks lots but I'm worried about her. Stupid loveable hamster.

Well I just had a...riveting conversation. Its not so much that the guy I was talking to was a bad guy, but his social skills are awful. And how can I tell him? "Hey guy who doesn't have a problem with me, you sound like a complete jack-asss and you don't realize it!" I don't think he's that good at talking to people since he's been in the hospital for like 3 years with Malaria(and he looks healthier than ME). I have never felt an odder feeling of annoyance, and sympathy.

I am so sick and tired of this stupid friggin' bronchitis... it either needs to become full-fledged pneumonia, so I can get the hardcore stuff to knock it out, or it needs to fuck off altogether. Seriously, this half-assed shit that leaves me juuuuuust able to work is annoying as shit.

Yesterday rather than having my dad pick me up at a normal fucking hour, my dad dropped me off early in the morning and picked me up later...at fucking TEN O CLOCK! I was there for 15 hours! And the fucked up thing? I ONLY HAD A 20 MINUTE MEETING TODAY! Went to school for 15 hours for a fucking 20 minute meeting. Next situation like this, I am driving my damn car. I know the back breaks are a little weird- DON'T CARE!

Officer_Charon : I "liked" your message as a way of saying I agree about being sick-but-not-sick-enough-to-stay-home-or-get-decent-medication is a crappy state and agree that shit just needs to go away; not because I like seeing you sick. Just to be clear :p

I' trying to move up in my company, but they just fired 15 top-level managers and some people from the national board and directors...I have a feeling I might be better off looking for work in another company.

I got off work at my normal time of 1:00am today. Felt fuck all like cooking dinner and fiancee is sick so can't ask her to cook. Solution go to the 24 hr subway that adds an extra 15 minutes to my 10 minute drive home. No biggie considering I will have a delicious meatball sub. I get there and stand in line behind a gentleman that makes ME look skinny. Said individual who looks positively porcine and not benevolently bovine, proceeds to order 3 meatball subs and 3 big Philly subs. After waiting 10 minutes for the lone slinger of sammiches to complete his order it is now my turn. Except now the last of those meatballs I so craved were walking out the store in the possession of the titanic tubby.

Not to be undone I ask for a big philly, but alas and alack, the great ass of lard that had arrived before me had cleaned the cupboard of the Philly meat as well. Heartbroken, I returned to the Bearmobile and drove home where I waited 15 minutes for the oven to preheat and another 15 minutes for a frozen pizza to cook. All told a 15 minute detour cost me 45 minutes of my life and I have no delicious meatball sub to show for it.

/1st world problems.

Yesterday, I asked one of the Canadian girls out for dinner tonight. She seemed pretty happy and I was really looking forward to it. I got to the restaurant early. As I waited, I got a text from her saying she had to cancel because she was seeing somebody (she called it a well-kept secret) and she felt bad about going on a date with me. I am disappoint.

Yesterday, I asked one of the Canadian girls out for dinner tonight. She seemed pretty happy and I was really looking forward to it. I got to the restaurant early. As I waited, I got a text from her saying she had to cancel because she was seeing somebody (she called it a well-kept secret) and she felt bad about going on a date with me. I am disappoint.

Disregard women, acquire currency.

I had to have my hamster put to sleep yesterday. She was about two and a half years old and had developed a huge fibrous mass around her front leg that was most likely cancerous. I couldn't believe how attached I had become to that little furball. Here's to you Hammy... I miss ya you little twerp... :(.

Ever have a required course that you had absolutely no interest in? *sigh*
Gen Ed 110, was supposed to be Cultural History of the Ancient World, what was it actually? "Why Christianity is better than ancient religions and everyone who disagrees is going to hell."

General philosophy, ugh. The professor was a failed philosopher from Bulgaria who would pretend to be a genius just by parroting Descartes. That smug Russian* bastard.

*I called him Russian because he hated to be called Russian.

Gen Ed 110, was supposed to be Cultural History of the Ancient World, what was it actually? "Why Christianity is better than ancient religions and everyone who disagrees is going to hell."
I've got a religion course right now and it is exactly what you are describing. I'm trying to read the assigned articles and chapters for this week, but I keep losing my focus after about two paragraphs. I feel like beating my head into a wall.

General philosophy, ugh. The professor was a failed philosopher from Bulgaria who would pretend to be a genius just by parroting Descartes. That smug Russian* bastard.

*I called him Russian because he hated to be called Russian.
North Ranger taught you philosphy? PERKALE!

I've got a religion course right now and it is exactly what you are describing. I'm trying to read the assigned articles and chapters for this week, but I keep losing my focus after about two paragraphs. I feel like beating my head into a wall.
What really pissed me off was that my course wasn't supposed to be a religion course, it was supposed to cover all aspects of ancient cultures, from the first civilizations to the Mayans, but the professor and his TA were dead set on the idea that the only important aspect of culture was religion, and that everyone who wasn't a Christian was a savage to be tamed or lorded over, or bought and sold - they were both very pro-slavery, anti-equal rights... it was kind of scary. In fact, it sometimes got very scary, when they'd get off on this pro-Christian rant and the prof would go from lecturing to preaching, with the TA joining in. It was almost like they'd been overtaken by the ecstasy of the Holy Spirit, their entire demeanors would change, their facial expressions would change, they'd start morphing into Southern Baptist preachers - the whole Fire and Brimstone routine - and then the longer and longer it went you could tell they were getting all hot and bothered. The prof was married, to a woman other than his TA, but they made no secret of the fact that they were also lovers, and it was creepy as hell watching them work each other up to what we all knew was going to be a mid-afternoon romp as soon as they got back to the prof's office. It pissed me off that I was actually interested in learning about ancient cultures, and instead got a course about how Christianity was better than any other religion, and it really pissed me off that I paid for the opportunity to watch these two engage in some elaborate foreplay ritual, instead of actually learn anything worth knowing.

Introduction to Computers. Most of the class was just teaching people how to use Microsoft Office so it was basically just a waste of time. It was even MORE a waste of time for me because I had this exact same course in Vocational school and should've had the credit for it immediately. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Introduction to Computers. Most of the class was just teaching people how to use Microsoft Office so it was basically just a waste of time. It was even MORE a waste of time for me because I had this exact same course in Vocational school and should've had the credit for it immediately. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
Oooh... that reminds me. I had a 100 level MIS class that was supposed to be the basics of HTML, but we spent all of our time learning how to turn on a PC, how to start Windows 95 and 98, and how to work with Office. And to top it all off, the HTML "editor" we were using was Microsoft Word.

Heh... thought of another one. Intro to C Programming. The instructor was horrible. We spent two entire weeks learning about two-dimensional arrays - only we weren't actually learning about them, we were going cell by cell, value by value, determining what value would be in a cell when given the x and y axis values. It was literally:

Prof: If 'i' is 1 and 'j' is 1, x is?
Class: 1*
Prof: If 'i' is 1 and 'j' is 2, x is?
Class: 2*

*Based on whatever value was in that cell in the array that she had drawn on the blackboard.

For two fucking weeks. Then there was one question about two dimensional arrays on the midterm, and the class average grade on the exam was a D- because that was the only material from the midterm that we covered in class. Even when we would try to bring up other things in class from homework reading, she'd refuse to talk about them, or yell at the person who asked the question, and go back to her shitty array.

You know, now that I think about it... a lot of my college courses were bullshit. Man, what a waste of money.

One college course was how to install Windows NT 4 and get it running on a network. Not building the server, running cable, designing a network or anything like that, simply putting the disc in the drive, running the install, naming it and then plugging it into the wall. (But don't plug it into the wall because it's live on the network and if you were to name your server Zombie for example, suddenly the entire college would receive pop up messages about a new Zombie on the network.

One college course was how to install Windows NT 4 and get it running on a network. Not building the server, running cable, designing a network or anything like that, simply putting the disc in the drive, running the install, naming it and then plugging it into the wall. (But don't plug it into the wall because it's live on the network and if you were to name your server Zombie for example, suddenly the entire college would receive pop up messages about a new Zombie on the network.
Yeah, OK, you win. None of my classes were (quite) that bad. Strangely enough, our networking classes were usually really good, because we had some pretty brilliant instructors for those classes. Except for the time that one of the TAs lagged out the entire campus network because he left his (work) computer running over the weekend with Napster running and had set the bandwidth allocations to "unlimited." It probably wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't had such a direct connection to the campus backbone, but once the instructor realized what was going on and turned his machine off, everything was back to normal.

Mandatory courses on phonology and linguistics in English Philology Basics back in the uni...

It's perkele with an 'e', you marmot-flossing nut-muncher.
Hey, if I wanted to speak a long dead useless language, I would have moved to Finland already. (Or France)

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'd say you and which army, but you'd say Finnish. And then I'd say "You sure are finished!"
Hey Adam, Ancient Egypt just called. They want their joke back.[DOUBLEPOST=1351287178][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay... not really serious about this whole fight. But still, Adam, make jokes about my country and my language and I'll send you a bottle of fine wine for Secret Santa... courtesy of my piss bag :twisted:

Hey Adam, Ancient Egypt just called. They want their joke back.[DOUBLEPOST=1351287178][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay... not really serious about this whole fight. But still, Adam, make jokes about my country and my language and I'll send you a bottle of fine wine for Secret Santa... courtesy of my piss bag :twisted:
How could I tell the difference between that and any other Finnish beverage?