Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I mostly try to avoid colds by making sure I'm touching surfaces at my workplace. It builds up my immune system. The only time I really get bad colds is when the temperature switches suddenly, or I don't remember to wash my hands after touching/doing something. (No, not that, pervs.)

Wouldn't licking surfaces at your workplace work better for building up your immune system? I'm just concerned that perhaps you're not challenging your immune system as efficiently as you could be.
The healthiest of my rats licks every surface he can. Fingers, couch, floor, litter dish. Never been sick a day.

jwhouk, you know your next step.

Weird fact about Rats, ant traps are a stimulant to them! I should know as I once had a rat in my house that ate- ALL OF THEM! It was so high it was able run through a mouse-trap, set it off- AND DIDN'T GET CAUGHT! Nothing is harder to catch than a tweeked rat.

Oh it did die from poison...a different poison. That we had to special order. Because ant poison doesn't work on rats. Seriously, its like speed to them.

Ant baits are sometimes borax in a thick sugar syrup. The sugar probably hyped up the rat.
That's probably it. I just hope we don't get a rat again, we had to lay ant-traps in one of the bath-rooms. Don't want another incident like that again. The last one ate one of my DVD covers and a good amount of my cereal.

Cajungal

Staff member
Sister in law's pregnant. Awesome for her, terrible for me. I'm not looking forward to the "you're next" bullshit.

Also... Holy hell, did I choose the wrong career?...

Also... Holy hell, did I choose the wrong career?...
The best piece of advice I ever got before going into teaching:

Never decide if this is the right career for you or if you like your job during the school year. It's always going to seem the worst at that moment. Decide during a break (summer is best). If you are coming out of a break with a feeling of dread, you should find something else to do. If you still think you hate the job when you're in the middle of a long break, you might want to find something else to do. Never worry about these things in the middle of the school year, though.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've been thinking about it since summer. Love teaching kids, hate talking to parents. Love the challenge, not sure if my heart can take it for 20+ years. I'm not sure if I want to do this job if I ever have my own kids. I need some quiet in my life.

Not really panicking. Not really unhappy... But thinking about where I want to be in 10 years.

Love teaching kids, hate talking to parents. Love the challenge, not sure if my heart can take it for 20+ years.
This sounds like my son's teacher. She loves her kids as if they were her biological children. She get attached to them all. When we first met her last year though she warned the parents that she is not as good at relating to adults. She is such an amazing teacher and she truly loves what she is doing even if the day-to-day wears her out. And she has two children of her own - one is now a sophomore in college and the other is still in middle school/junior high. I think part of her love for teaching is the school she works at, too. I think Tress has given you some good advice, too, that can apply to any career. If you come back from vacation with a sense of dread, it is time to get outta dodge.

Cajungal

Staff member
Frickin kids had to choose today to be incredibly sweet and awesome and procedure-following.... goddamnit. I'm never gonna get to stay up past 10 on a weeknight again, am I?

Continuing the toe thing from the minor rant thread, because now it's officially whiny time...

I'm supposed to just lie around? I can lie around and cringe in pain, or lie around and feel feverish, but to lie around feeling okay, knowing that if I stand up I'm going to feel horrid--that's tough. I don't get injured. I'm used to just banging into things and barely feeling it. Really wish I hadn't done this.

Also hard being home. I know work is swamped and I feel a responsibility toward my job. And the new baby rats... give them an inch and they'll take a mile. You cannot just play with them for 10 minutes. Good and bad thing about baby rats: they do not get tired or bored of playing "chase me back in the cage with your fingers so I can run back out and challenge them again". They want it on and on and on, repetitively, like a hamster loves a wheel. So now I'm resting like I'm supposed to instead of crouching in front of their cage, and they're staring at me with sad eyes. Every time I move, they jump up at the bars and start poking their noses through like they think I'm going to open the door and play with them again.

My wife is asleep now since we didn't get back home until nearly 5 AM, but I know that the moment she wakes up, the fretting will begin.

I think I'm sicker than I thought I was when I left the house this morning. I thought it was just a sore throat brought on by the change in smoking habits and the abrupt weather change; but I'm also completely devoid of energy (seriously, typing is a draining experience), and am having trouble staying awake. It's a good thing there's a massive problem with the email servers and the vast majority of us can't do anything today, because now I can go home early and go back to bed.

Why did I have to go in the gun store to price my Christmas present?

I need to hurry up and win the lottery... so many wants in one store... *sigh*

I've had a nail come off the toe next to this one. It sucked.

This is the big toe and it's still oozing blood after two days. I don't know if I'm gonna be looking at a fleshy mound or a geyser.

Yes, I forgot that the more common grade of stainless steel is not ferrous enough for magnets to stick to it. Now I have a 0.015" thick 12" wide 36" inch long piece of stainless steel I'm going to have to store in my materials bin until another use comes along.
I feel ya. I bought a 36x48in sheet of metal from the hardware store about 20 years ago because I needed to cut a few 1x2in pieces to bend into box pillars for a project. Now I have a 20yr-old 36x48in sheet that looks like someone took a bite out of one corner sitting in my materials area.
Maybe try the heated pin through the toenail trick to relieve pressure?
I've heard tell of a guy who got his thumb caught in a press, bruising it. To relieve the pressure that built up, he chucked a 1/8" bit into his drill press, set the speed really high, put his thumb on the table and just drilled down through the half-moon area "...until it got messy," as he put it. Said it worked really well, though.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I've heard tell of a guy who got his thumb caught in a press, bruising it. To relieve the pressure that built up, he chucked a 1/8" bit into his drill press, set the speed really high, put his thumb on the table and just drilled down through the half-moon area "...until it got messy," as he put it. Said it worked really well, though.

--Patrick
That is some Event Horizon level shit right there.

I had such a badly ingrown toenail on my left big toe for so long that my doctor recommended cutting out the nailbed and having no nail at all. It only took about 5 operations and the nail still grew back (although it grows out really weird now... but hey, it's not ingrown anymore). Apparently my nailbeds regenerate far more completely than the average person. It's like a lame superpower!