Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I didn't want a shower. We each had a house, so there wasn't much we needed. My mom ignored me. Two of my friends were there. The rest were older family members and my mom's friends.

I could have used money and Titos instead of capon.

I am so itchy and I don't know why. It's making me twitchy.
I'm not dealing with itchy skin, but itchy eyes. Pretty sure it's allergies, the weather warmed up again and all the trees and plants are going at it like rabbits. I bet the bees are happy, but here I am with a daily allergy pill, plus dropping benadryl and sudafed on top of that and I'm still dealing with itchy watery eyes and sneezing, and now a desire to sleep all day long.

I hope these plants get it out of their system soon. Should have some thunderstorms and rainshowers for several days starting wednesday, and I'm actually looking forward to that!

I'm not dealing with itchy skin, but itchy eyes. Pretty sure it's allergies, the weather warmed up again and all the trees and plants are going at it like stienmans!
They're just getting their revenge. Little known fact: Trees and plants are allergic to Mormon babies.

I went and had allergy tests a year or so ago when we were concerned that I was allergic to my biologic. My mum was convinced it was my cats which I was worried about more because of
how much lecturing there would be.

Good news from those appointments:

No cat allergies
Not allergic to the biologic I was on

Ridiculous news from the appointment;

I'm allergic to grass and a type of local tree that is all over our lot.

I've grown rather tired of work lately.

See, the government in Taiwan requires companies to submit corporate social responsibility reports every year. Basically, the government wants to know how these corporations have been helping Taiwan's society and environment. Usually it's all just a bunch of trumped-up accomplishments, but hey, the government requires these reports, so companies churn them out annually, generally publishing them right before the mandated deadline.

Recently, the government decided these CSR reports also need to be published in English. I suppose it's so that people from other countries can also know about the awesomeness of our big companies. Naturally, these big companies still scheduled everything based on their previous timetables for Chinese-only CSR reports. It's only with the deadline looming that everyone thought to themselves, "Hey wait, we need an English version too!"

Cue every big company in Taiwan throwing money at translation companies (for example, us) to translate their CSR reports in, like, five minutes.

Money is good. Having lots of work to do is good. But the downside is that we actually have to do this work. It means I've been swamped by CSR reports for the last two weeks, and my brain really doesn't want to accept any more input related to this crap. Every day I come to work, turn on my computer, and then immediately enter semantic satiation. I can barely read two sentences before my brain goes, "Nope, we're not doing any more of this, we will now go on a daydream about your coworker's boobs."

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Different companies' CSR reports generally look and sound quite similar, especially if they're in the same field. So, for example, CSR reports from two different banks would have similar contents and structures. So, naturally, we'd probably translate them in very similar ways. BUT THEN OUR CLIENTS HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONAL TOUCHES! For example, let's say they're talking about paying their employees. Both of them use the same term in Chinese. But in English, one of them insists on using "remuneration", and the other wants to use "compensation". Where one company might want to use "Chief Accounting Officer", another will use "Accounting Manager". Where one will say "operating status", another will want "state of operations". And if we get any of it wrong, they send it back with an angry email, demanding we make endless series of minor corrections. For a whole bunch of different companies, each with their own preferences.

Usually I'd say I want to use some of my vacation days to take some time off and relax, but past experience has showed me that I won't actually get much relaxing done even when I take days off, which sucks.

Recently, the government decided these CSR reports also need to be published in English. I suppose it's so that people from other countries can also know about the awesomeness of our big companies.
I'd bet that the translation companies for together and lobbied the government for this change. And if they didn't, they should have. And you could maybe possibly climb the corporate ladder by finding another useless translation gig for the government to mandate.

Are your cereal boxes in Chinese and English yet?

I went in to the office today to work on some forms and I had planned to be there an hour. Various staff came in to talk and four hours later, I still hadn't gotten much done :(

My back was fine when I went in for my checkup with my neuropathologist. Then he pushed at my lower back, asked "does this hurt" and OWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Of course, it doesn't help that we had a huge cold front come sweeping in from the north again (thanks, Fort Mac).

GasBandit

Staff member
I appreciate your cause for brevity, but I look forward to when you can expound on this.

--Patrick
Ok. Looks like it's going away now.

Weather here's been absolute shit today. It just started raining harder and harder then the wind picked up then suddenly it got as dark outside at 1pm today as it was at 8pm yesterday and the clouds started swirling and I decided to get back to work. Where the engineering room is built to bomb shelter specs.

Ok. Looks like it's going away now.

Weather here's been absolute shit today. It just started raining harder and harder then the wind picked up then suddenly it got as dark outside at 1pm today as it was at 8pm yesterday and the clouds started swirling and I decided to get back to work. Where the engineering room is built to bomb shelter specs.
I've been on top of a sizable hill when the clouds above me went green, I fully understand the sentiment.

--Patrick

I remember green skies when I was a kid back in Missouri. I was at a daycare my mom worked at when the power went out, and when I looked out the window I saw green and thought it was some kind of alien invasion.

GasBandit

Staff member
Update -

I was wrong

It did touch down

This photo was taken less than a mile from my place.[DOUBLEPOST=1464288819,1464288414][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm a little concerned. My best friend's house is in that neighborhood and he hasn't responded to text. I hope that just means he's busy.[DOUBLEPOST=1464289075][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, friend texted back finally. He and his family are OK, and their house was spared, though several of his neighbors got, in his words, "pretty fucked up."[DOUBLEPOST=1464289641][/DOUBLEPOST]Yep, it's officially a tornado

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Tornado-Warning-issued-for-Brazos-County--380995601.html

Initial reports indicate a tornado touched down on Wildflower Dr. in Bryan near the Cracker Barrel and is headed toward 1179 Miramont.
As of 12:45 p.m. the tornado was moving down Highway 6 behind Kroger.
Trees are reportedly down near University and Highway 6.
That is the Kroger where I buy my groceries.

GasBandit

Staff member
229 PM CDT THU MAY 26 2016 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LEAGUE CITY HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... SOUTHEASTERN BURLESON COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS... NORTHEASTERN WASHINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS... SOUTHWESTERN GRIMES COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS... SOUTHEASTERN BRAZOS COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS... * UNTIL 300 PM CDT * AT 229 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR SNOOK...OR 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF COLLEGE STATION... MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH. HAZARD...TORNADO. SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION. IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY. * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... SOUTHEASTERN COLLEGE STATION...NAVASOTA...SNOOK AND MILLICAN. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TAKE COVER NOW! MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF YOU ARE OUTDOORS...IN A MOBILE HOME...OR IN A VEHICLE...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS. && LAT...LON 3032 9649 3047 9652 3057 9614 3034 9610 TIME...MOT...LOC 1929Z 255DEG 24KT 3043 9644 TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED HAIL...<.75 $$

Pfft. You don't say, National Weather Service? Thanks for the heads up.

Ouch. I've found the weather service to be 10-15 minutes behind, and the news stations to be 20-30 minutes late, but to have the weather service be 20-30 minutes late is deadly. They've gotten a lot of flack over the years for late reports and warnings, and Texas is the test bed for the newer high resolution radars, so they should have been on top of this long before it touched down.

Yet another reason to own a scanner and listen to the weather spotters on the local ham radio frequencies. They are almost always chatty during severe weather.

Someone called my cube-mate's phone when he was away, and let the damn thing ring about 20 times. Any rings more than four should be a form of harassment.

Last edited:
I cut my lip with a razor in the shower. Blood gushing everywhere, I stepped out, hair lathered and foamy, to ask Jun for a band-aid but my words were garbled and I was dripping a mixture of soap and blood on the ground. Think she near had a heart attack.

Loud crash of thunder followed by all our cable services going out. D: Trapped at home with two kids and no internet?!

Also, my daughter would be going to gymnastics, but she smashed her big toe really bad while cleaning her desk at school on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure her toenail is eventually going to fall out.

Oh wow, just opened the front door and heard a cacophony of sirens too. I wonder what happened.

Loud crash of thunder followed by all our cable services going out. D: Trapped at home with two kids and no internet?!

Also, my daughter would be going to gymnastics, but she smashed her big toe really bad while cleaning her desk at school on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure her toenail is eventually going to fall out.

Oh wow, just opened the front door and heard a cacophony of sirens too. I wonder what happened.
Car hit a pole?.

--Patrick

I cut my lip with a razor in the shower. Blood gushing everywhere, I stepped out, hair lathered and foamy, to ask Jun for a band-aid but my words were garbled and I was dripping a mixture of soap and blood on the ground. Think she near had a heart attack.
That hug was for Jun.

Well, it came back in about 10 - 15 minutes, so I'm not sure. I didn't want to wander around in the rain to figure it out.
I remember being fascinated by a damaged transformer on a pole as a kid. It was a warm rain and this was before driving and cell phones so of course I didn't have anything on me to worry about. I saw the flashing, stopped my bike and watched. The transformer would arc and set the pole on fire, the fire would burn for a few moments, then the rain would put it out, but enough rain would collect to make it arc again, and eventually the pole would catch on fire again, but then the rain would put it out again, etc. I think I watched it for 10-15 minutes because I wanted to see which element would win, but got bored and left.
Much, much later in life I realized that I a) probably shouldn't have hung around there and b) definitely should've called the power company or something.

--Patrick

The bro-fist is for the hilarious mental image of Jun fainting at the sight of you, while you stand there dripping blood and suds, with a bemused expression on your face.

Turns out the Penguins making the Stanley Cup Finals could cause me actual problems.

If it goes seven games, Game 7 is in Pittsburgh Wednesday, June 15th at 8pm. Half an hour before my train into Pittsburgh from NYC is due to arrive. :p