Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I went to the office yesterday for a meeting with my new boss. She's the level between nasty lady and me. Last week, when I needed help filling out some forms for work, I decided to ask her for help rather than shrieky. She was really nice and shocked by how unwell I was.

Everyone was very nice to me yesterday and she has been especially helpful. I was so sad during the meeting though that I almost cried a few times. I'm not sure why I was upset. And now today while they're all meeting and I'm at a medical appointment I'm sitting here being upset too.

I'm also super stressed out about my work forms and various things. I can control some of it but not all.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I've been grouchy as hell the last few days (I know, I hide it so well, right), and it's starting to get out of hand. It's gotten to where even when I thank someone for something, it sounds like I'm doing so archly, with an implied "dumbass" or "about time" at the end that I don't mean to put there, but then it comes out and the damage is done. I feel like Harlan Ellison is writing my dialog.

So after bugging my publisher for the half-dozenth time about royalties, he finally gave me an answer: my second book hasn't been selling very well. Few at Pro Se are, really. But they won't send a royalty cheque unless the amount is more than $20. And it's not.

His theory is that the book is too weird or too different for audiences.

I thought for sure, after the first book was mostly well-received, that the second one would sell better. So that was stupid of me to think.

*sigh* I don't even know why I bother.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, I think its incredibly impressive that you were able to think up, plan out, and write two full-fledged novels. Regardless of how they do, thats super-difficult.

If it makes you feel better, I think its incredibly impressive that you were able to think up, plan out, and write two full-fledged novels. Regardless of how they do, thats super-difficult.
Concurred. That's two more than I have, and I'm honestly envious.

But not envious in the bad way. In the good way. Like, that "Wow, that's totally awesome, I wish I had that" way. Not the "I deserve it more than him" way, because honestly you deserve it more than I do.

I should stop talking.

I still think you should shop around for a new publisher.
I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt anyone will be interested in re-publishing the two books. It's a series. No point shopping around the third book in a series to a different publisher.

And a very stupid, niche one that's too weird a concept for most people.

I just...I don't know anymore. This is literally the only thing good in my life these days. I just turned 38, I have no job, no job prospects, no kind of plan or idea for a career to pursue, most of my job experience is in useless, shit customer service jobs, and I still living with my fucking parents. That I can say that I'm a published novelist is the ONLY thing I feel like I have going for me and I'm not even getting TWENTY FUCKING DOLLARS after the book has been out for EIGHT FUCKING MONTHS? I thought I might get MAYBE $100.

What's the point? Seriously, what's the fucking point in writing anything if no one is even reading this shit? Because I have heard so much less from anyone about this book than the last one. There are only two goddamn reviews on Amazon despite multiple begging and pleading to my friends and family on Facebook and what do they fucking do? They fucking like the status and that's it. No more extra reviews, despite one of the first pieces of advice about getting your name out there is getting friends and family to spread the word and leave reviews and BARELY ANYONE HAS FUCKING DONE THAT. I thought maybe - MAYBE - this one might do better because the first one was received pretty well, but I guess fucking not, eh?

I'm just...like I said, this is literally the only thing I have going for me these days and even that's complete shit. What's the point of anything anymore?

Detangling long wigs is sooooooooooooooooooooo annoying.
SO I managed to get most of the tangles out. It doesn't look GREAT, but since I'm putting giant Pinky Pie curls in it, I really don't feel like it'll be a huge detriment.

And I learned that I shouldn't bring up things that actually upset me on this forum because hey, someone might use it to make a particularly effective insult just because they're having a bad day.

And I learned that I shouldn't bring up things that actually upset me on this forum because hey, someone might use to make an effective insult just because they're having a bad day.
The only person I've seen actually do that to me is Charlie. Which is 99% of the reason I blocked him: any time he threw a shot at me, he made it personal for no reason.

I've lashed out at people on the forum before when I've gone through bad periods, but I'd like to think I apologize or extend an olive branch most times.

GasBandit

Staff member
It basically boils down to this - Wasabi's been on a hair trigger for months because she's in a really, really bad situation in real life, so having her whine condescended-to had her blow up, and having it done a second time had her go nuclear, though I don't think she actually tailored that insult so much as just pulled a random one out of the air. It's really a case of everybody overreacting and being hypersensitive (yes, everybody) and everybody feeling like the aggrieved party, so nobody's extending any olive branches and it's all so very drama llama and frankly I don't see what's to be done about it but give it time, and either the rift heals or it doesn't. And that's as much detail as I think is appropriate to go into.

It basically boils down to this - Wasabi's been on a hair trigger for months because she's in a really, really bad situation in real life, so having her whine condescended-to had her blow up, and having it done a second time had her go nuclear, though I don't think she actually tailored that insult so much as just pulled a random one out of the air. It's really a case of everybody overreacting and being hypersensitive (yes, everybody) and everybody feeling like the aggrieved party, so nobody's extending any olive branches and it's all so very drama llama and frankly I don't see what's to be done about it but give it time, and either the rift heals or it doesn't. And that's as much detail as I think is appropriate to go into.
I also just interpreted it as a random thing she said.

Nonetheless, maybe next time you guys want to check the rant thread, remember that it's the rant thread. We've had situations of people going overlong into advice, situations where people have been told they complain too much about X. If seeing people complain about stuff, regardless of how significant you find it to be, is a problem for some of you then don't read those threads. If you need to use them, just scroll to the bottom, type your rant, and post it without reading the other posts. That's what some of you guys do for other kinds of threads anyway :p.

Good news A: odds suggest Pens should have the cup won well before game 7. Conflict possibly averted.

Good news B: phones are back. See minor rant thread.

BAD news: now the hot water is out, and beyond my abilities to fix. Maintenance is on it, but I take the complaints from guests. :p

Good news A: odds suggest Pens should have the cup won well before game 7. Conflict possibly averted.

Good news B: phones are back. See minor rant thread.

BAD news: now the hot water is out, and beyond my abilities to fix. Maintenance is on it, but I take the complaints from guests. :p
Guests are the worst.