What are you playing?

The loading delay makes me think it has something to do with delivery of the style sheet...but I assumed that was ultimately due to insufficient RAM allocation to allow stuff to be cached, with degraded RAID as my backup explanation for that lag.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I’m a US user, and it happens to me every single time as well. 10-20sec delay waiting for the actual page to be delivered but fine after that...until you go to a different page.
Count me in as another US user who has to wait for threads to load after clicking the link. Just tried opening the Pokemon Go thread, it took ~9 seconds from clicking the link to having anything on the page load.

GasBandit

Staff member
The fact that it only seems to really hurt non-US users makes me think it's not that. I mean, my experience is still 95% silky smooth.
Aaaand now that I've said that, I just had 5 straight pages that took 15-30 seconds to load, each. Wonder if the host is monkeying with it to see what the cause is.

figmentPez

Staff member
Aaaand now that I've said that, I just had 5 straight pages that took 15-30 seconds to load, each. Wonder if the host is monkeying with it to see what the cause is.
Seems likely, since just before I could make my post above, I had several pages fail to load at all.

Forget about blood bowl.
Wait until you see what it does to your wallet.

—Patrick
*hides tcgplayer order*

I don't know what you're talking about.
So far this is a fun deck. We're playing Commander format, and I've made a drudge deck centered around:
IMG_20180607_001839.jpg

There Came an Echo

Got this for free via a giveaway on Twitter.

I...didn't like it. I love the concept of a voice command game, but this one didn't do it for me. I had to repeat commands multiple times before anyone responded (fiddled with settings but it didn't help).

I don't usually have the patience for strategy games. I enjoyed X-Com, but this was too much. Too many commands to remember, too many enemies coming all at once. Too much going on at a time. I got overwhelmed and quit the game early in.

There are also far too many cutscenes that only tried my patience. As I've said about other games, I want to actually PLAY a game, not watch it. And the story wasn't interesting enough to hold my interest. It doesn't help that the writing was mediocore at best. Great voice acting, though.

I think this is a good idea in theory, but making it a complicated strategy game with multiple commands and moving around units is too much for something like this. Something simpler, especially with only one unit/character would've been much more manageable.

Highlight for me was introducing myself. Someone told me to say hi, Sam. So I said "Hi Sam" and the game recognized the joke. More of things like that would've been fun.

Also, I think having the game be fully voice controlled would've have been better (and maybe more accessible for people with disabilities). Moving around the map AND keep track of the action AND do voice commands all at once was too much. A single, focused screen instead.

I will say, I didn't full on hate the game. I'm just disappointed because the idea alone has a LOT of potential. I think the problem is there's still no reliable voice recognition software. Largely because everyone sounds different and little pronunciation ticks.

Darkest Dungeon....I just got my ass handed to me on my very first Veteran (level3) outing. The Collector nearly finished me, and I ended up running away. Then I ran into the Shambler. Yeah, no. Did not end well.
I quite like the game, but it really plays contrary to my usual play style - I always want to keep everyone alive, and I'm a save scummer in nearly every game that allows it (if it's about skill - I don't abuse it to trivialize gambling, usually).
It makes me horribly scared to do anything. I dare not go on level 3 quests even if half my heroes are level 3 and 4. I have no clue how I'm supposed to survive a level 6 quest if I ever go on one. Sheesh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Darkest Dungeon....I just got my ass handed to me on my very first Veteran (level3) outing. The Collector nearly finished me, and I ended up running away. Then I ran into the Shambler. Yeah, no. Did not end well.
I quite like the game, but it really plays contrary to my usual play style - I always want to keep everyone alive, and I'm a save scummer in nearly every game that allows it (if it's about skill - I don't abuse it to trivialize gambling, usually).
It makes me horribly scared to do anything. I dare not go on level 3 quests even if half my heroes are level 3 and 4. I have no clue how I'm supposed to survive a level 6 quest if I ever go on one. Sheesh.
I never go on level 3 quests until the entire team is level 4. Also I never, EVER fight the shambler if I can help it ;) The collector can be handled if you know what you're doing, but he's still a large inconvenience.

By the same token, I don't do any level 5 missions until I have a full party of level 6.

The only level 6 mission are the endgame missions. You will lose people. And even the ones that make it back will refuse to go back... to the mansion... after what they've seen.

I never go on level 3 quests until the entire team is level 4. Also I never, EVER fight the shambler if I can help it ;) The collector can be handled if you know what you're doing, but he's still a large inconvenience.

By the same token, I don't do any level 5 missions until I have a full party of level 6.

The only level 6 mission are the endgame missions. You will lose people. And even the ones that make it back will refuse to go back... to the mansion... after what they've seen.
Yeah, I can think of decent ways of dealing with the collector, but really, my party wasn't wonderfully balanced. Not enough to cause real issues in standard fights, but bosses, even mini-bosses, clearly show weaknesses. Nobody with stun and very limited bleed, only minor healing. Live and learn. Two of my heroes survived (among them the level 2 Antiquarian who went along for the ride, oddly enough. Level 4 Dismas died, though...

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I can think of decent ways of dealing with the collector, but really, my party wasn't wonderfully balanced. Not enough to cause real issues in standard fights, but bosses, even mini-bosses, clearly show weaknesses. Nobody with stun and very limited bleed, only minor healing. Live and learn. Two of my heroes survived (among them the level 2 Antiquarian who went along for the ride, oddly enough. Level 4 Dismas died, though...
Blood soaks the soil, feeding the evil therein. Another life wasted in pursuit of glory and gold...

I was replaying the Borderlands Presequel over the weekend. I pulled Excalibastard out of its stone at, like, 9th level and being the uberpowerful weapon it ought to be, I used it pretty much exclusively until, just before teleporting up to Helios, Moxxi gave me a laser gun that fires chain lightning. Also uberpowerful, I only needed it to handle everything . . . and since these 2 weapons let me fight well above my weight class I was too low-level to use anything the enemies were dropping, anyway.

Anyway, now I'm heading into the vault and everything - absolutely everything - I'm fighting has a skull next to its name, the mission log is telling me my task is impossible, and I'm scrounging for laser batteries and grenades after taking down nearly every foe.

. . . I kinda wish leveling wasn't a thing in games.

I haven’t played this in forever! Too much Pokémon lol.

I love the idea of the game, but omg some of my heroes were stressing ME out and I can’t spend a week drinking at a tavern to unwind :p

I love the idea of the game, but omg some of my heroes were stressing ME out and I can’t spend a week drinking at a tavern to unwind :p
I prefer the idea that the game is more of a “gauge your level of sociopathy” test, where the better you do in the game, the less I would probably want you as my boss.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I prefer the idea that the game is more of a “gauge your level of sociopathy” test, where the better you do in the game, the less I would probably want you as my boss.

—Patrick
Hey, I did VERY well, and I barely lost anybody! :p Well, a few here and there, but...

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I know I got my own thread for this, but here's an Empyrion post! :D

Empyrion Alpha 8 just hit stable branch, and it's a doozie. Planets are bigger, fancier, there's been a graphics/texture improvement, repair-to-template is now a thing, and a jillion other great changes.

Furthermore, I am now running OUR OWN SERVER (as you have no doubt noticed in my signature lately), and it's up and running the latest Alpha 8 version, so we've got a place to play free from the whims of admins we don't know. It's got lots of planets of various flavors, and plenty of room to play in both PvE and PvP areas.

So, if you've ever thought "You know, I like multiplayer survival games (or minecraft), but they need more guns, aliens, and space ships" then there's never been a better time to get into Empyrion and shiver in the cold of an uncaring universe with your fellow HFers while you all hide from an alien troop patrol that wants to laser you a new asshole, and fantasize your revenge in the form of blasting them to pieces when you get your spaceship finished!

Doki Doki Literature Club

Finally got around to playing this.

Well, I think "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?" is an appropriate reaction upon finishing this game, wouldn't you say?

GasBandit

Staff member
Doki Doki Literature Club

Finally got around to playing this.

Well, I think "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?" is an appropriate reaction upon finishing this game, wouldn't you say?
Just Monika.

Help me

I think the thing that disturbed me most about DDLC was the moment when I realized I was emotionally invested in a video game romance.

That scared the hell out of me.

Finished Vampyre doing a No Feeding run. If you can get past the clunky combat, this is a real gem of a game with a strong story and lots of interesting characters. Definitely hope we get a sequel.

I introduced my daughter to Phoenix Wright since she loves Danganronpa so much. She has spent the last few hours pacing around the house and yelling at her 3DS.

Bought Witcher 3 in the current sale.

Quick question, in terms of story, should I play the first two games first? Read their Wikipedia articles? Or just jump in blind?