What are you playing?

I'd play two, but a summary of 2 would probably work too. My dad never played either, watched the summary of 2, and was fine.
(But 2 is great)

Bought Witcher 3 in the current sale.

Quick question, in terms of story, should I play the first two games first? Read their Wikipedia articles? Or just jump in blind?
Watching a video recap of Witcher 2 is my recommendation if you won't play Witcher 2, because that way you'll know some of the important choices that occur and will be relevant in 3. My first try at 3 was blind and I had a hard time keeping interested. This time I watched a recap, got some context, and it helped me get more invested from the get-go.

I'm going to also agree that you should play 2. Not because you need it for 3, but because 2 is a genuinely good game, but once you play the Masterpiece that is 3 you won't be able to go back to 2.

I'm going to also agree that you should play 2. Not because you need it for 3, but because 2 is a genuinely good game, but once you play the Masterpiece that is 3 you won't be able to go back to 2.
It's kind of the dilemma I had with Pillars of Eternity. @Frank said I could get away with a summary if I needed to, but playing through the first POE was the way to go. It made POE II much more interesting after I went through the first game, and yeah, POE II makes POE I hard to go back to.

But yes, play Witcher 2 if you can. It's fun, its good, and you won't regret it.

Is Witcher 2 easier to get into than Witcher 1? I played an hour or two of Witcher 1 and then immediately ran out of steam.

Is Witcher 2 easier to get into than Witcher 1? I played an hour or two of Witcher 1 and then immediately ran out of steam.
Yes. Witcher 1 is badly, badly outdated now. Witcher 2 feels like a modern game. It has flaws, but overall it's a positive experience.

Thanks to the many kind suggestions here, I've fired up Witcher 2 first and played through the tutorial. Some things will probably require a bit of getting used to, but on the whole it feels better than Witcher 1 already.

Then I started the part with the war camp, and the first cutscene... yay boobies! :D

Witcher 3 oh my god I'm so sick of Novigrad. I'm tempted to just do side quests to get high enough to go to Skellige and just ditch the place entirely, but I'll feel bad if I leave these characters to their fate. I also feel like it's my doing. I tried to help Sigi, but ended up killing Menge because I didn't want Triss to be tortured. So then we had to scout around for Whoreson anyway, which I'd wanted to avoid. Find him, but now I've got the play to do.

We're in old school RPG territory now. I'm trying to find Ciri, but first I need to reach Dandelion, but to get to him I need Dudu, and to talk to him I need to put on a play, and to put on the play I need to go hiring people, and I feel like I've been in this dumb city for an eternity.

I might just go do some side quests anyway just for the change of scenery, because this city is making me not want to play anymore.

I started playing Ingress. My hope is to get to a high enough level so I can start requesting new portals/Pokestops.

I have no idea what I’m doing.

Imagine my surprise when I got a private message the other day after linking something. They wanted to know if I was local as in there in person lol. I am so glad that isn’t a thing in Pokémon Go.

I’m also playing SoulSilver. Very slowly. It’s fun :)

I'm 20 hours into Subnautica. I'm not sure if I have another 20 hours, or 40 hours left. I've found all 3 seabases, I have a Cyclops and Seamoth, but don't have the blueprints for the Prawn Suit (despite having ARMS for it now), and haven't found any alien places besides the mountain (enforcement and the arch) and the floating island. I've read from the wiki that there's a lot more deeper, but just not sure how dangerous that is. Sounds scary. But having a blast at the same time.

Oh and btw, Wrecks and Salvage for blueprints seemed like fun, but is now just complete bullshit. I've found the repulsor arm for the Prawn suit, but haven't found the REGULAR GUN yet. I've found 1 or 2 scraps, but still can't make it. IMO a number of things (like that) should be more guaranteed through lifepods or something, and not just "oh you might find it... but maybe not." For a LONG-ass time I had the blueprints for the Seamoth but COULDN'T MAKE IT due to lack of a mobile vehicle assembler blueprints.

Really, they need to make the blueprints a lot more story-based and reliable than they have been. Like at certain points you "fix" your PDA to "just have" the right blueprints from waypoints that previous story things bring you to. A number of those "abandoned PDAs" would be perfect for that. I guess I should actually hit F8 in-game and submit that idea.

I'm 20 hours into Subnautica. I'm not sure if I have another 20 hours, or 40 hours left. I've found all 3 seabases, I have a Cyclops and Seamoth, but don't have the blueprints for the Prawn Suit (despite having ARMS for it now), and haven't found any alien places besides the mountain (enforcement and the arch) and the floating island. I've read from the wiki that there's a lot more deeper, but just not sure how dangerous that is. Sounds scary. But having a blast at the same time.

Oh and btw, Wrecks and Salvage for blueprints seemed like fun, but is now just complete bullshit. I've found the repulsor arm for the Prawn suit, but haven't found the REGULAR GUN yet. I've found 1 or 2 scraps, but still can't make it. IMO a number of things (like that) should be more guaranteed through lifepods or something, and not just "oh you might find it... but maybe not." For a LONG-ass time I had the blueprints for the Seamoth but COULDN'T MAKE IT due to lack of a mobile vehicle assembler blueprints.

Really, they need to make the blueprints a lot more story-based and reliable than they have been. Like at certain points you "fix" your PDA to "just have" the right blueprints from waypoints that previous story things bring you to. A number of those "abandoned PDAs" would be perfect for that. I guess I should actually hit F8 in-game and submit that idea.
The prawn suit is in a specific location that you may have already been to and missed it.

There is a prawn Bay on the Aurora

The prawn suit is in a specific location that you may have already been to and missed it.

There is a prawn Bay on the Aurora
I've read the wiki. I know. Hence my frustration about the propulsion/repulsion gun: you NEED that to get in the Aurora! And I can't find the %$@#ing thing!!! I have the ARM for the prawn for that function, but not the regular gun!!!

I've read the wiki. I know. Hence my frustration about the propulsion/repulsion gun: you NEED that to get in the Aurora! And I can't find the %$@#ing thing!!! I have the ARM for the prawn for that function, but not the regular gun!!!
You can actually parkour around the Aurora without it.

Well my parkour skills apparently suck. I couldn't even get in the entrance. So still looking for that gun. 2/3 fragments right now.
There's one propulsion cannon fragment guaranteed to spawn just inside the upper entrance of the Aurora, past some flames and near a PDA.

I finally found a cannon somewhere else (underwater islands wreck) so was able to go in. Turns out I was going IN the opposite way you "usually" do since I was definitely getting the PDA updates backwards. I always stayed out of the back since a Reaper keeps trying to eat me that way, while the front is clear. So the "back of the aurora" is the "normal" way in.

GasBandit

Staff member
I finally found a cannon somewhere else (underwater islands wreck) so was able to go in. Turns out I was going IN the opposite way you "usually" do since I was definitely getting the PDA updates backwards. I always stayed out of the back since a Reaper keeps trying to eat me that way, while the front is clear. So the "back of the aurora" is the "normal" way in.
Odd, I always went in the front, too. The back is sheer death stew with that reaper leviathan on patrol.

GasBandit

Staff member
I never even found a front entrance.... :oops:
I didn't even know there WAS a back entrance! I just went in the big sploded chunk at the front, and there's 2 different hallways you can enter from that direction. You only need the cannon to get in one of them, but that's the one where all the good stuff is.

I'm going to pick make the imgur, youtube, etc media viewer on the forum work in Tapatalk so I don't unsupportedmediaimgur1212qwwqqunsupportedmedia every third post

Two weeks ago some friends talked me into playing magic the gathering, which I had managed to avoid up until then.

$500 later I may have a problem...

But on the bright side, I discovered cockatrice, an open source, completely free client for playing magic the gathering. I highly recommend anyone that likes the game to try it out, and maybe play with me a little