[News] US Capitol Siege 6 January 2021

GasBandit

Staff member
I've run into a lot of people over the years who conflate "mistaken" with "lying." Notably, my own father. He would often say things like "Oh by the way I just got back from the store, and turns out I lied about them not being out of stock, they are." That's not lying, it's just incorrect. You THOUGHT they were in stock, and had no way of knowing without going to the store. It has to be a deliberate, knowing falsehood to be a lie. If you believe what you are saying, it isn't lying.

And this conversation has gone:

"I assert X"

"No, you're lying."

"Here's some supporting evidence to show X."

"Now you've lied twice."

I've run into a lot of people over the years who conflate "mistaken" with "lying." Notably, my own father. He would often say things like "Oh by the way I just got back from the store, and turns out I lied about them not being out of stock, they are." That's not lying, it's just incorrect. You THOUGHT they were in stock, and had no way of knowing without going to the store. It has to be a deliberate, knowing falsehood to be a lie. If you believe what you are saying, it isn't lying.

And this conversation has gone:

"I assert X"

"No, you're lying."

"Here's some supporting evidence to show X."

"Now you've lied twice."
Or if you want a less tortured metaphor it’s like people claiming that a school is teaching CRT because they teach that the people in the south doing the backbreaking work on plantations weren’t enthusiastic volunteers.
Post automatically merged:

Stop being such a holier-than-thou prick. You’re just making everything worse, not better.
What exactly am I making worse?

Okay so nothing I care about.
Then why are you here, continuing to vomit all over your keyboard about this? Go somewhere else (another thread, another forum, whatever) and stop torturing us with your inability to have a coherent thought.

Then why are you here, continuing to vomit all over your keyboard about this? Go somewhere else (another thread, another forum, whatever) and stop torturing us with your inability to have a coherent thought.
I like fighting on the internet. This forum is reasonably active. If you have a problem with that then that’s your problem.

figmentPez

Staff member

Also in testimony today: Trump knew his followers were armed, specifically asked to remove metal detectors and let them through, and said they weren't there to hurt him, and they could march on the Capitol after listening to him speak.

And he's a petulant little child who tried to wrest the steering wheel from a Secret Service agent when they tried to take him back to the White House instead of to the Capitol.

All this testimony, and Trumpers still won't believe that Jan 6th was planned, and intended to be a violent overthrow of power.

Last edited:
And he's a petulant little child who tried to wrest the steering wheel from a Secret Service agent when they tried to take him back to the White House instead of to the Capitol.

A shame. If he'd been there literally at the head of the violent, armed mob it'd have been that much clearer for all to see his role as ringleader/mob boss/rabble rouser.