TIL: Today I Learned

Reactions
2,184 637 24
TIL about UL858, a safety standard that applies to electric coil cooktops/ranges. It requires that if a pan of oil be placed on a burner set to its highest heat, the pan must last a minimum of 30 minutes without igniting, or else the stove/range fails the test.
I also learned that, as of April 2019, any new electric coil cooktops/ranges which fail this test are now prohibited from sale in North America.
I stumbled over this fact while trying to find specific types of older (40's-70's) electric stoves. So now I guess I know why prices of older electric stoves strangely seem to be higher than they were last year.

--Patrick

Reactions
285 32 13
TIL about UL858, a safety standard that applies to electric coil cooktops/ranges. It requires that if a pan of oil be placed on a burner set to its highest heat, the pan must last a minimum of 30 minutes without igniting, or else the stove/range fails the test.
I also learned that, as of April 2019, any new electric coil cooktops/ranges which fail this test are now prohibited from sale in North America.
I stumbled over this fact while trying to find specific types of older (40's-70's) electric stoves. So now I guess I know why prices of older electric stoves strangely seem to be higher than they were last year.

--Patrick
Is this why my electric range in my house seems to be slower than molasses in boiling water?

Reactions
2,184 637 24
Is this why my electric range in my house seems to be slower than molasses in boiling water?
Unless you’re living 250m below sea level, it could be.
...though if your range is > 5yrs old it’s more likely that you’re using too small of a burner for the pot, that the water started out colder than usual because Canada (and because of H2O’s absolutely ridiculous specific heat), that the burner is failing, that something is interfering with the burner hitting full power (dirty socket, failing rheostat, failing wiring, bad ground/crosstalk), ...or that your scale of subjective time just runs fast.

—Patrick

Reactions
678 253 4
Unless you’re living 250m below sea level, it could be.
...though if your range is > 5yrs old it’s more likely that you’re using too small of a burner for the pot, that the water started out colder than usual because Canada (and because of H2O’s absolutely ridiculous specific heat), that the burner is failing, that something is interfering with the burner hitting full power (dirty socket, failing rheostat, failing wiring, bad ground/crosstalk), ...or that your scale of subjective time just runs fast.

—Patrick
Well, he grew up in a province a kilometre higher* than his current home, which is pretty much at sea level, so there definitely that.

*Although that's roughly comparing the elevation of Calgary to Halifax. If he grew up in the mountains of Alberta, the difference could be significantly more.

Reactions
771 225 0
Today I learned of a hentai manga called Metamorphosis, also known as Emergence, or 177013. It's one of the most depressing yet engrossing hentai manga I've ever read. It's long, 200+ pages, but I read the whole thing in one sitting, and near the end I was kinda misty-eyed a bit. It's like, this is definitely not what I'm looking for when I read hentai, but I also don't regret having read it.

Since this is not a NSFW thread, I will not link it, but it's not hard to find if you search a bit.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
6,778 1,400 27
Today I learned of a hentai manga called Metamorphosis, also known as Emergence, or 177013. It's one of the most depressing yet engrossing hentai manga I've ever read. It's long, 200+ pages, but I read the whole thing in one sitting, and near the end I was kinda misty-eyed a bit. It's like, this is definitely not what I'm looking for when I read hentai, but I also don't regret having read it.

Since this is not a NSFW thread, I will not link it, but it's not hard to find if you search a bit.
I take it you also read the "fixed ending?" (NSFW)

Reactions
604 278 11
TIL that the Phoenix office of the NWS uses a different model than most of the rest of the country when considering issuing an Excessive Heat Warning.

Most of the rest of the US uses a rule of thumb based on high and low temps - mostly if it won't drop below 75°F (24°C) and the high is supposed to be 105°F (40°C) or higher for multiple days.

If we used that method, we'd be in an excessive heat warning until... September?

PHX NWS takes high and low temps, checks to see if they will be in the top 5% highest in recorded history in the area for the given time of year, and then issues a watch (if temps are projected to meet the criteria a week or so out) or a warning (if the temps are already in the range).

We're in an Excessive Heat Warning right now - and it feels like it. When my wife got home today, she commented that it looked like I got a sunburn on my face because my forehead was white compared to the rest of my face.